Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

The website says not to use alcohol or peroxide on it but some people said it had worked. I left it soaking in about 50/50 peroxide and water last night through this morning and when I drained it this morning it didn't smell. I used it for work and I got home to check it. The Smells back. :( its a sulfur smell that someone had mentioned. I suppose I'll go to the dr on Monday to check for an infection? :confused:

Anyone with a funky smell have the cause be an infection? Should I be worried? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

I soak mine in hydrogen peroxide for a day or two after every period.

I do the same thing after every other cycle. It's the only way I can keep it from staining! I know there's nothing wrong with using a stained cup, but I just want it to look pretty and new forever :3:

aela
Apr 17, 2003

Hooks posted:

As a petite woman, which of these brands is the smallest/would be best for me? I'm so small I can only use the slender(teenager) sized tampons; the regular-sized ones hurt. :(

Also, thanks to the OP for starting this thread! I had no idea these cups even existed and they sound great.

If you haven't already been answered sufficiently, the DivaCup comes in 2 sizes: pre-childbirth or 30 and under or post-childbirth and post-30. I, too, am very petite and can only use petite products but have had no problem with the pre-childbirth Diva Cup. Well, I had some getting-to-know-you discomfort for say, the first hour or so but after that it was smooth sailing. I would never, ever go back to traditional tampons.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pancakes McGee posted:

read somewhere you aren't supposed to soak it soak it.

Last I checked, Diva says not to use hydrogen peroxide but to boil it instead. MeLuna's website recommends using hydrogen peroxide.

All I know is it works for me. v:)v

heatherawr, how long was your cup in for? I haven't had this problem myself, but some googling suggests that a foul smell may be caused by leaving the cup in for 12+ hours. Failing that, those sorts of odors are usually caused by bacteria, so an infection may be possible. If you disinfected the cup and the odor comes right back next time you use it, that suggests the bacteria might be coming from you. Sorry. :(

If it makes you feel better, I'm not a doctor and the likelyhood that I have any idea what I'm talking about is slim.

heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

heatherawr, how long was your cup in for? I haven't had this problem myself, but some googling suggests that a foul smell may be caused by leaving the cup in for 12+ hours. Failing that, those sorts of odors are usually caused by bacteria, so an infection may be possible. If you disinfected the cup and the odor comes right back next time you use it, that suggests the bacteria might be coming from you. Sorry. :(

If it makes you feel better, I'm not a doctor and the likelyhood that I have any idea what I'm talking about is slim.

I'm not sure how long, but I know it was less than 12. I'll make an appointment Monday just to be sure it's not that, but I will see if airing it out will get rid of the smell for now.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
How long do I boil it for?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

heatherawr posted:

I'm not sure how long, but I know it was less than 12. I'll make an appointment Monday just to be sure it's not that, but I will see if airing it out will get rid of the smell for now.

Have you had unprotected sex recently? This is going to be WAAYYYY TMI, but I got that horrid smell twice since I've used the cup; each time the morning after having sex. I reckon what happens is that I take it out for the fun, then I go to the bathroom and put it back in pretty soon after. When I go to rinse it the next morning it's not just blood but some of his semen too, and that's the only time it's smelled. Neither my husband nor his spunk smells so hell if I know how it gets that bad overnight.

[Edit] I had a doctor's appointment recently and everything's fine down there. If it's outside of sexy time then yeah, definitely ask the doc.

heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

Zantie posted:

Have you had unprotected sex recently? This is going to be WAAYYYY TMI, but I got that horrid smell twice since I've used the cup; each time the morning after having sex. I reckon what happens is that I take it out for the fun, then I go to the bathroom and put it back in pretty soon after. When I go to rinse it the next morning it's not just blood but some of his semen too, and that's the only time it's smelled. Neither my husband nor his spunk smells so hell if I know how it gets that bad overnight.

[Edit] I had a doctor's appointment recently and everything's fine down there. If it's outside of sexy time then yeah, definitely ask the doc.

hmm the last time we had our unprotected sex was either the night before, or two nights before my period. and I have done it where I took it out to have sex, then put it back in and didn't have the issue before. So I'll just be making that appointment then. :smith:

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

Pancakes McGee posted:

How long do I boil it for?

Quick googling says 1-2 minutes is enough, but I usually boil mine for about 5 minutes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pancakes McGee posted:

Yes oh my god. THE STRING CAUSED SO MANY PROBLEMS.

I think this is the thing that finally convinced me to give cups a try. No matter what brand of tampon I try, I can always feel the drat string rubbing or getting tugged by my clothes/body parts. I don't know if that's typical and nobody mentions it or if I'm just senstitive as hell. Plus I lucked out by getting my period while visiting family and the huge waste of toilet paper just to throw the drat things away discretely combined with the gross bathroom trash was downright embarrassing. :gonk:

I ordered a Fleurcup and hopefully it works out since as far as I can tell my cervix is pretty low. All in all it's kind of funny considering I didn't convert to tampons until like 4 years ago.

For those of you having trouble with ordering the Fleurcup, do you have a preexisting Paypal account? All I had to do was login with my account, click another button to submit the order and I was done - no typing or translating required.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've got a pre-existing paypal account but I wasn't logged in. That might be the issue. I'll try again when I'm back.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've got a pre-existing paypal account but I wasn't logged in. That might be the issue. I'll try again when I'm back.

I wasn't logged in at first either, but I just clicked on the "Pay with Paypal" button (or at least I think that's what it said since it was in French). After that it I got a little summary of my order on one side of the screen and a place to login to my Paypal account on the other.

Maybe I just got lucky or something, I don't know. I hope it works for you! :)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

heatherawr posted:

The website says not to use alcohol or peroxide on it but some people said it had worked. I left it soaking in about 50/50 peroxide and water last night through this morning and when I drained it this morning it didn't smell. I used it for work and I got home to check it. The Smells back. :( its a sulfur smell that someone had mentioned. I suppose I'll go to the dr on Monday to check for an infection? :confused:

Anyone with a funky smell have the cause be an infection? Should I be worried? :(

I kept having that with my DivaCup (the sulfur smell) after about a year and a half of using it, but it stopped happening when I switched to a MeLuna. It's a mystery!

heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

bobula posted:

I kept having that with my DivaCup (the sulfur smell) after about a year and a half of using it, but it stopped happening when I switched to a MeLuna. It's a mystery!

If the new cup quickly gains that smell too, then I'm going to get one. :)

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

heatherawr posted:

If the new cup quickly gains that smell too, then I'm going to get one. :)

One thing you might consider is the water you're boiling the cup in. At my house, we have clean smelling water but it has high limestone content. Thus, I notice a slight powder on my cups that rubs off. At my in-law's house, they have sulfury/coppery water (when not filtered) which you notice even when showering. I suspect it would make anything boiled in it smelly, too.

heatherawr
Apr 16, 2011

fine-tune posted:

One thing you might consider is the water you're boiling the cup in. At my house, we have clean smelling water but it has high limestone content. Thus, I notice a slight powder on my cups that rubs off. At my in-law's house, they have sulfury/coppery water (when not filtered) which you notice even when showering. I suspect it would make anything boiled in it smelly, too.

That is true, I'll keep that in mind with the next divacup.

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008
first full cycle using the meluna and I'm sick with a wicked chest cold. trying to keep up on drinking lots of water and all, so of course what goes in..
anyway, point is, not having that tampon string there has been a godsend when using the washroom a little lot more frequently than normal.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

For those of you who have the Fleurcup, I'm curious about how long did it take to be delivered? I'm not having any problems, I was just wondering about how long the wait time would be coming from France and all. I'm in the U.S.

Looks like the thread title is very appropriate, my period will be here before it arrives. Bummer. :(

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
It took something like 3-3 1/2 weeks for mine to get from France to Kentucky. It was a long time.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

humanROBOT posted:

first full cycle using the meluna and I'm sick with a wicked chest cold. trying to keep up on drinking lots of water and all, so of course what goes in..
anyway, point is, not having that tampon string there has been a godsend when using the washroom a little lot more frequently than normal.

I will say, though, the only time I regret using a Divacup is when I'm having stomach issues, either flu-stuff or hungover (heh). When I'm feeling barfy, the last thing in the entire goddamn world I want to do is reach up inside myself and pull out a cup of blood :gonk:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ThreeFish posted:

It took something like 3-3 1/2 weeks for mine to get from France to Kentucky. It was a long time.

Thanks. I'm actually in Kentucky too, so I guess I really know what to expect now. :) The company isn't exactly communicative (no e-mails or anything other than the receipt from Paypal) so it kind of made me wonder.

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:
I've had my small divacup for about six months now, and it has really changed my whole attitude towards getting my period. That said, my biggest annoyance is how stubborn the thing is about popping open. I've recently discovered the origami fold, which is great, but sometimes it still just... won't pop. And it sucks having to keep re-inserting and trying again. Do you ladies have any experience with cups that are maybe less stiff? I have boiled it several times.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Certain folds seem to open easier than others. I was using the punch down for comfort reasons but it was always a chore to get it open. I started using the c-fold and that one can't wait to get open. It's a little chunkier but with practice I made it happen.

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt
It's my third day using the diva cup and I love it. I keep looking for the tampon string when peeing and OH RIGHT, THERE IS NONE

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

Is Hip Hoptimus Prime still around? I think the OP should be updated to include MeLuna and Fleurcup as suggestions since they've become so popular in this thread. Especially with all the bonus cups MeLuna has been giving out!

Kitten Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 16, 2011

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008

sarah synonymous posted:

I will say, though, the only time I regret using a Divacup is when I'm having stomach issues, either flu-stuff or hungover (heh). When I'm feeling barfy, the last thing in the entire goddamn world I want to do is reach up inside myself and pull out a cup of blood :gonk:

Ughhh I haven't experienced that yet. I'm sure I will, though :(. I've been getting frustrated with it because of being sick, ornery and all NyQuil/Robitussin'd up I haven't had patience at times when it doesn't open fully and it leaks. I get stompy for a little while but I know I'll get it in time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

KBD posted:

It's my third day using the diva cup and I love it. I keep looking for the tampon string when peeing and OH RIGHT, THERE IS NONE

I'm really looking forward to the day I never have to deal with a string ever again. Between the peeing thing, feeling it constantly, and the way they always manage to wick blood straight into my underwear I'll be glad to be rid of tampon strings forever.

I decided to snag a Lunette yesterday since I will probably be out of town by the time Fleurcup gets here and travel was one of the reasons I wanted a cup. For anyone who's in the market for Lunette but is put off by the price tag (like I was at first), Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique has free shipping on all U.S. orders and lots of coupon codes floating around Google. I got mine for about $4 cheaper than any other shop I've found and it's already on the way.

Edit: Sorry if that sounded like a sales pitch, I just got a great deal that I thought others here might like to know about. :blush:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 16, 2011

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Okay so!

I have a Medium soft MeLuna and a Large regular MeLuna. Yesterday I got my period so hurrah, time to try this thing out! I was a little intimidated by the Large so I decided to try the medium. I had already decided that the punch-down fold seemed like the easiest for me. The C fold looked a little big and awkward so punch-down it is! I had no problems guiding it in but once that happened I was unsure of how to get it way up there because pushing against the stem just caused it to fold in on itself. It felt way too soft and I just couldn't get it right. I decided to just put a tampon in and try later when I had some more time and patience.

Before bed last night I decided to try it again. This time I tried the Large but it was just too much, I dunno. I couldn't get it in at all and I tried both the C and the punch-down. No bueno. I re-tried the Medium and used the punch-down but this time turned it upside down (instead of this i did this) and it went in so easily. I was still unsure about how to get it just right so I just sort of... pushed and poked and felt around and hoped for the best. It felt like it was open all the way but I wasn't entirely sure so I just slapped a pad in my panties and hoped for the best as I went to bed. I woke up this morning and it looked good! The pad was clean so hurrah! I got the cup out pretty easily, though I did spill a little but hey, first timer here!

I washed my cup and re-inserted it and really used caution in feeling around. I could feel where it wasn't open but I wasn't sure how to get it to open so I tried to turn it and it finally worked and felt like it was all the way open but I still was a little unsure so I used another pad just in case. I didn't actually leak but I felt like I might so I went to the bathroom and sure enough there was some blood. I'm so nervous about using the cup without a liner/pad because it felt inside like it was totally open and in place when I put a finger up there and felt all around and yet there was some leakage. I've been sure to squeeze my kegel muscles, to rotate the cup, etc., but I'm still super nervous.

Any tips?

Hormones fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 17, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Are you sure it was actually leakage? As I've been reading around on message boards and stuff, I've seen a lot of cup users mention that sometimes a little residual blood can hang around below the cup from removing it. "Slobber" they call it. :gonk:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hormones posted:

I re-tried the Medium and used the punch-down but this time turned it upside down and it went in so easily.

Hang on...

Are you saying you turned it inside out?

....or upside down? :gonk:

(apologies for my lovely art)

If it's the latter, then I think I know why you're leaking. If the former, I would tend to agree with NaturalLow. Make sure you clean up really well down there after you insert the cup. This is one reason why it helps me to insert in the shower; I've got running water right there to help flush out any blood that might be in my vagina below the cup.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Rockets posted:

I've had my small divacup for about six months now, and it has really changed my whole attitude towards getting my period. That said, my biggest annoyance is how stubborn the thing is about popping open. I've recently discovered the origami fold, which is great, but sometimes it still just... won't pop. And it sucks having to keep re-inserting and trying again. Do you ladies have any experience with cups that are maybe less stiff? I have boiled it several times.

Slightly vulgar question, but are you shoving it all the way in before trying to pop it open? If so try getting the rim just past the pubic bone, rotating the cup to open, then sucking it up into place with your pelvic muscles. I've found softer cups harder to pop open than firmer cups. My soft MeLuna was a bitch to pop open compared to my Fleurcup.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

NaturalLow posted:

Are you sure it was actually leakage? As I've been reading around on message boards and stuff, I've seen a lot of cup users mention that sometimes a little residual blood can hang around below the cup from removing it. "Slobber" they call it. :gonk:
Perhaps this was the issue! I didn't even think about that!

Julet Esqu posted:

Hang on...

Are you saying you turned it inside out?

....or upside down? :gonk:

Oh goodness! I see how that could be misunderstood. What I meant was instead of inserting it this way up: http://i.imgur.com/OjAUc.jpg

I turned it over upside down and insterted it this way up instead: http://i.imgur.com/UZsDo.jpg (and it worked much better)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I have always done the C fold and have had no problem with it or the Diva popping open at all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

:siren:Trip report!:siren:

Finally got my Lunette (small Selene) today and just in time to catch the tail end of my period at least. :) Surprisingly I got the thing in with no real problems - although it was stubborn about popping open at first. Apparently my cervix must sit even more ridiculously low than I thought because I had to cut about half of the stem off just to make the thing bearable. I guess I probably should have been more cautious/patient, but drat the thing was irritating and I couldn't seem to reposition it to anything more comfortable. Reaching it is no problem though.

Removal certainly feels...different, but not much worse than the weird feeling I get from pulling a tampon out. No leaks so far and it looked like it was catching everything (as little as there is to catch). After the stem trimming, I can't feel a thing besides maybe a little pressure in certain positions. Not having a tugging string or a bunched up, nasty pad is magical. :allears:

I have to ask though, are there any alternatives to the boiling thing? I boiled it as a first time use sterilization thing, but it was a pain in the rear end. I used the biggest pot I have and filled it to the brim, but the cup still kept sinking to the bottom (where it would have been burned/ruined) so I basically had to babysit the thing the whole time. Plus my living situation right now is such that standing around in the kitchen cooking my menstrual cup in a pot probably wouldn't work too well. I could probably still boil occasionally, but I was thinking sterilizing tablets or maybe the dishwasher as a more frequent method?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Does anybody know if silicone cups can be microwaved (in water of course)? It would solve the problem of accidentally burning it.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

NaturalLow posted:

I have to ask though, are there any alternatives to the boiling thing? I boiled it as a first time use sterilization thing, but it was a pain in the rear end. I used the biggest pot I have and filled it to the brim, but the cup still kept sinking to the bottom (where it would have been burned/ruined) so I basically had to babysit the thing the whole time. Plus my living situation right now is such that standing around in the kitchen cooking my menstrual cup in a pot probably wouldn't work too well. I could probably still boil occasionally, but I was thinking sterilizing tablets or maybe the dishwasher as a more frequent method?

I just put boiling water in a mug and put my cup in it. After the water got too cool, I emptied and filled it with fresh boiling water again.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

So we're all talking about jamming silicone cups in our hoo-has, I don't think we need to worry about if a question is vulgar. Its only vulgar if you're trying to put the cup in your butt or something.

So I got a size L MeLuna for those hellish days, but is it possible for a cup to be so big that it doesn't open properly? I've never not had a problem with the biggest cup and it's bumming me out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kitten Nightmares posted:

I just put boiling water in a mug and put my cup in it. After the water got too cool, I emptied and filled it with fresh boiling water again.

That does sound like a reasonable alternative. I guess I snapped and got so tired of tampons/pads that I didn't really think about the implications of having a menstrual cup in a household where menstruation is kind of a taboo subject.

After trying it out for a few hours now I have to say that if there's anyone reading this thread who's on the fence about cups, go for it! I've known about them for years but I didn't get the courage until now because I always looked at photos of them and thought they would be uncomfortable as hell. In reality the photos just make the cups look bigger and bulkier than they really are.

I guess my real problem now is my giant multipack box of tampons that's just going to gather dust most of the time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

NaturalLow posted:

:siren:Trip report!:siren:

Finally got my Lunette (small Selene) today and just in time to catch the tail end of my period at least. :) Surprisingly I got the thing in with no real problems - although it was stubborn about popping open at first. Apparently my cervix must sit even more ridiculously low than I thought because I had to cut about half of the stem off just to make the thing bearable. I guess I probably should have been more cautious/patient, but drat the thing was irritating and I couldn't seem to reposition it to anything more comfortable. Reaching it is no problem though.

Once you get used to removal you'll probably end up just chopping the rest of the stem off as well. :)

quote:

I have to ask though, are there any alternatives to the boiling thing? ...I could probably still boil occasionally, but I was thinking sterilizing tablets or maybe the dishwasher as a more frequent method?

I've heard about people using both the dishwasher and sterilizing tablets and both methods ar fine as far as I know. My personal method is to put my cup into a slightly larger cup, pour hydrogen peroxide over it, and let it soak overnight or until I remember to dump it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

NaturalLow posted:

Apparently my cervix must sit even more ridiculously low than I thought because I had to cut about half of the stem off just to make the thing bearable. I guess I probably should have been more cautious/patient, but drat the thing was irritating and I couldn't seem to reposition it to anything more comfortable. Reaching it is no problem though.

Turn that sucker inside out!

• Locked thread