Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Well if there's no Harley, can we assume there is no Bec also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No Bec is almost a certainty as the first guardian of this universe is pretty sure to be something different (and at least likely to be some iteration of Doc Scratch, though that's not confirmed yet).

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Veev posted:

Well if there's no Harley, can we assume there is no Bec also?

There probably isn't. In all likelihood, since Doc Scratch was the one who convinced the kids to reset their universe, it was so that he could be the First Guardian of the post-reset Earth.

I'm willing to bet that not only will post-scratch Earth's first guardian be cue-ball headed, but he'll be exactly the same as Alternia's Doc Scratch. Doc did say that instances of him exist in countless universes. He did not say they were actually different from one another. Haa haa. Hee hee. Hoo hoo.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Plom Bar posted:

That's it that's all. John didn't send meteors to other universes, John had nothing to do with the creation of these kids, and there hasn't been anything at all to suggest otherwise. Yes, the roles have been reversed, but that doesn't change anything.

The artifacts that were sent back with the babies strongly suggests that these are copies of the meteors sent by John. Most specifically, the the inscription on the book that's in Jane's own handwriting which we see in the Act 6 flash. It even has all the oil stains from LOWAS.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CidGregor posted:

Another little detail of note that I haven't really seen pointed out:

Scratched!bro and mom are apparently still named Strider and Lalonde, despite the other two now being named Crocker and English instead of Egbert and Harley.

Significance to this at all?

I assumed that Nanna was always named Crocker, she just took her husband's surname, thus Egbert, and Grandpa Harley took his name from his dog in classic Indiana Jones style. Maybe Grandma Jade married someone called English? Which is itself a chilling thought.

Come to think of it, did we ever find out what happened to Bro and Mom after being put on those meteors in the original universe? How did they originally get those surnames anyway?

Plom Bar posted:

I seriously have no idea where this notion comes from.

Each session's ectobiology fuckery is exclusive to its own session. In the kids' session, John created the kids and their guardians and sent them back in time. In this session, it's reasonable to assume that at some point, Jane will create the new kids and their new guardians and send them back in time.

That's it that's all. John didn't send meteors to other universes, John had nothing to do with the creation of these kids, and there hasn't been anything at all to suggest otherwise. Yes, the roles have been reversed, but that doesn't change anything.

You completely misunderstand what i'm saying. When Terzei tricked John into fighting Hephestus early and being killed, resulting in DaveSprites' doomed timeline, John died before ever creating himself and his guardians through ectobiology, then sending them back through time. Which would mean that the kids and guardians were never born and just sprung up from the ether, creating a paradox.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So apparently Sburb knows that it is gearing up for an 8-player session soon. My question is, when they bring the planets into the new session, with a new Prospit and Derse, what happens if they get new dreamselves and die on their quest bed?

Double God Tier?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Kazy posted:

So apparently Sburb knows that it is gearing up for an 8-player session soon. My question is, when they bring the planets into the new session, with a new Prospit and Derse, what happens if they get new dreamselves and die on their quest bed?

Double God Tier?

In [S] John: Enter Village, Vriska did say it was time for John to begin ascending the god tiers.

Alternatively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcEBX74AWE

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

creationist believer posted:

The artifacts that were sent back with the babies strongly suggests that these are copies of the meteors sent by John. Most specifically, the the inscription on the book that's in Jane's own handwriting which we see in the Act 6 flash. It even has all the oil stains from LOWAS.

Chances are this will be explained when it's explained how Jake was able to send Liv Tyler to Jade. I dunno, it seems silly to me to ascribe so much thought to the ectobiology stuff.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Plom Bar posted:

I seriously have no idea where this notion comes from.

Each session's ectobiology fuckery is exclusive to its own session. In the kids' session, John created the kids and their guardians and sent them back in time. In this session, it's reasonable to assume that at some point, Jane will create the new kids and their new guardians and send them back in time.

I don't know why you're responding to that quote with this, but actually, there is a lot that is very off with that assumption! I know the thread moves fast, but it boils down to two facts:

1) The ancestor trolls did not have an ectobiological origin from their own session.

2) Almost every item that John sent with the babies, including the two extra Cage bunnies who previously existed as the same bunny along different points in its history, has appeared in the scratched universe as though they came along with their associated baby. The aforementioned bunnies, the fedora, the flintlock pistols, Dream-Cal, the old Col Sassacre Book (*!!!). The only things missing are Mutie and Maplehoof, and we know Mutie has something to do with the Lalondes here.

* We just learned from the pesterlog that the Sassacre book is possibly the same one that Nanna wrote in. Now how this new character would know this is up in the air, but that book specifically was carried away by Grandpa to the meteor where it went back with baby John, and was kept in Dad's safe. It is a little difficult to explain this one with just time loops!

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Fortis posted:

There probably isn't. In all likelihood, since Doc Scratch was the one who convinced the kids to reset their universe, it was so that he could be the First Guardian of the post-reset Earth.

I'm willing to bet that not only will post-scratch Earth's first guardian be cue-ball headed, but he'll be exactly the same as Alternia's Doc Scratch. Doc did say that instances of him exist in countless universes. He did not say they were actually different from one another. Haa haa. Hee hee. Hoo hoo.

It would be incredibly satisfying to see Doc Scratch be beaten at his own game, so I'm actually kind of hoping that's the case. Assuming he does get beaten, of course.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Starmaker posted:

I bet heart just allows the hero to try really god drat hard and do the impossible.

You may be interested to hear Sock's take on the matter.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Regy Rusty posted:

My guess would be that Nanna changed her name from Crocker to Egbert when she got married in the other universe. If John got married in the Scratched universe he likely would've kept the name Crocker.

No idea where Jake English comes from, but we'll probably find out.

In response to this and the ten other answers like it, I was more asking what it might mean thematically from a storytelling perspective that mom and bro keep their namesakes but Jane and Jake do not (since previously people had wondered if ALL the reset kids might have somehow taken/been given names of known villains or what have you), as opposed to the literal reason for it.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 15, 2011

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Considering Jake says that Strider is online but has his autoresponder on and Jane says to UU that Lalonde hasn't been online all day, __ic is probably Mom and __ied is probably Bro. I really like t____Tonic and hope that you're right about that. Maybe Bro is triloquistGlorified.

Speaking of, does anyone recognize the font that BettyBother uses?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

CidGregor posted:

In response to this and the ten other answers like it, I was more asking what it might mean thematically from a storytelling perspective that mom and bro keep their namesakes but Jane and Jake do not (since previously people had wondered if ALL the reset kids might have somehow taken/been given names of known villains or what have you), as opposed to the literal reason for it.

Since The Condesce/Betty Crocker probably works for Lord English, and Grandpa and Nanna ultimately changed their names when they escaped her grasp/she dissappeared, I think their post-scratch names are meant to show the influence LE and his ilk have over the new universe, presumably as planned.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Nestharken posted:

Speaking of, does anyone recognize the font that BettyBother uses?

About 90% sure this is Helvetica.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

John didn't send meteors to other universes, John had nothing to do with the creation of these kids, and there hasn't been anything at all to suggest otherwise. Yes, the roles have been reversed, but that doesn't change anything.

This isnt a different Universe, its the exact same Universe and Earth, just reset and screwed with by a new Doc Scratch. So those meteors are already here, but simply rerouted to land at different points in time to have different Sburb players.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

CidGregor posted:

Well, their last names already fit with the 11 letter long names for one. (Egbert and Harley are 1 letter away from that.) That's probably why their names were changed in the first place, though obviously there are other story reasons for the change as well.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I wish I didn't have class this morning, and that such an explosive update wasn't dropped at 3 AM my time since I was asleep. But let me say that I am highly suspicious of UU. Her log is intentionally the exact opposite of Karkat's first log, however as we all know he turned out to be an actually cool and nice guy. This new troll is way too nice and congratulatory to be a very interesting character if she keeps it up. Personally I'm leaning towards a first guardian that actually lies like the rear end in a top hat they are.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I don't see why everyone is so sure that Kidmom is going to be Void. When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was that Kidmom was going to go grimdark like someone else mentioned, just like her daughtermother Rose did. It's especially likely that Kidmom is going to go grimdark because UU mentions 'patches' of darkness whereas I was under the impression that Void powers made you always invisible to the First Guardian, not just sometimes

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This new troll is way too nice and congratulatory to be a very interesting character if she keeps it up.

Didn't some people say this about Jade way back when she was introduced? And then she turned out to be a pretty good character with depth and flaws and poo poo.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Cyrai posted:

I don't see why everyone is so sure that Kidmom is going to be Void. When I read that, the first thing that popped into my head was that Kidmom was going to go grimdark like someone else mentioned, just like her daughtermother Rose did. It's especially likely that Kidmom is going to go grimdark because UU mentions 'patches' of darkness whereas I was under the impression that Void powers made you always invisible to the First Guardian, not just sometimes

I don't think someone who says "BFFSIES 4EVERZ" would go grimdark for some reason. I like the idea that momRose went grimdark in this timeline too. She still goes to the grocery store all grey faced and glowy black speaking horrorterror gobbedlygook. Then whenever kidmom is around her, UU can't see her. We won't really know until kidMom and kidBro are introduced which will be an agonizingly long time.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Okay, why are there four kids again, and why do they look like the protagonists? I thought there were supposed to be only two heroes now.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Magikoopa189 posted:

Okay, why are there four kids again, and why do they look like the protagonists?1 I thought there were supposed to be only two heroes now2.

1) They don't — they look like the guardians of the previous session. In fact, they ARE the guardians of the previous session.
2) Whoever told you that was wrong.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rasamune posted:

1) They don't — they look like the guardians of the previous session. In fact, they ARE the guardians of the previous session.

Well, technically, because of the ectobiology, they are going to look sort of similar to the kids, i.e. Jane looks like Jade and Jake looks like John.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Rasamune posted:

2) Whoever told you that was wrong.
Just to reinforce this, it shows 4 kids on this page: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006021

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Magikoopa189 posted:

Okay, why are there four kids again, and why do they look like the protagonists? I thought there were supposed to be only two heroes now.

You seem to be thinking we're seeing the new universe created by jade's frog. But this is scratched earth.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I don't think the green snake symbol is actually UU's troll symbol, I'm pretty sure it's just related to the terminal she's using to communicate with the kids.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I don't think the green snake symbol is actually UU's troll symbol, I'm pretty sure it's just related to the terminal she's using to communicate with the kids.

Well, of course not. This is her troll symbol.

EDIT: I'm still banking on her being a transgender Signless from the pre-scratch troll session; it would just be too perfect.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 16, 2011

KoB
May 1, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

Sorry, but you really have no idea whats going on.

Some Lined Paper
Sep 2, 2011

JOHN: wait a minute!
JOHN: i forgot, trolls hate cleaning products for some alien reason! shit, that's going to make everyone so uncomfortable.
Hey, so... dunno if this has come up before, but Homestuck music is coming to Rock Band Network. This is apparently an official thing, with the music crew behind it and everything.

Really makes me wish I had a 360.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Rasamune posted:

Well, of course not. This is her troll symbol.

HUUSSSIIIIEEEEE

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

I don't think someone who says "BFFSIES 4EVERZ" would go grimdark for some reason. I like the idea that momRose went grimdark in this timeline too. She still goes to the grocery store all grey faced and glowy black speaking horrorterror gobbedlygook. Then whenever kidmom is around her, UU can't see her. We won't really know until kidMom and kidBro are introduced which will be an agonizingly long time.

People had a problem viewing Rose when she went all Grimdark, but only when she was actually Grimdark, before that she was perfectly viewable just like any other player. Unless KidMom somehow has horrorterror powers now, way before she enters the medium, Void seems like a far more reasonable explanation.

edit: Listening to those songs again reminds me of how reminiscent the music of HS is to famous videogame music. Fantastic.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2011

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
There's no reason that void powers would have to be in effect all the time. And if she's the Rouge of Void her powers could manifest more unpredictably.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Didn't some people say this about Jade way back when she was introduced? And then she turned out to be a pretty good character with depth and flaws and poo poo.

Yeah Jade is a nice kid, but at the same time she was pretty clueless (despite her Prospit viewing powers) and overly excitable. This new Troll girl seems to be laying it on a bit too thick.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Prison Warden posted:

People had a problem viewing Rose when she went all Grimdark, but only when she was actually Grimdark, before that she was perfectly viewable just like any other player. Unless KidMom somehow has horrorterror powers now, way before she enters the medium, Void seems like a far more reasonable explanation.

edit: Listening to those songs again reminds me of how reminiscent the music of HS is to famous videogame music. Fantastic.

Has anyone shown any of their Hero of _____ powers before starting the game though? Sollux kind of I guess with his whole Doom thing. And I was suggesting momRose was the one who went grimdark, so kidMom is only viewable on UU's screen when she isn't around her mom.

Edit: Poppop John was on Night Court. This is the best timeline.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 16, 2011

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's no reason that void powers would have to be in effect all the time. And if she's the Rouge of Void her powers could manifest more unpredictably.

This is true, I just think its more likely than her having magic powers pre-sessi-

Oh geez, update.

Nice to see John was pretty darn successful in life then. You cannot hope to beat Egbert Crocker in a prank off. He is simply the best there is!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

oh look, Jane's tiaratop looks just like Feferi's tiara, complete with symbol. Hussie is certainly laying it on thick now.

edit: can't wait to see Jane go gently caress up some of the Emperess' goons, once she realizes how she's been controlled all her life.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Can't help but noticeUNREAL HEIRESS THOUGHTWAVE TIARATOP looks like Feferi's tiara.

It is probably also a mind-control device, knowing what the rest of Crocker's products are like.

E:f;b

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Prison Warden posted:

Well, yeah, UU has access to the Guardians' full timeline, which was how he was able to orchestra the conversations so they enter the game on the same day. If Kidmom did go grimdark, he would be able to see every time except then. I suppose you could interpret that sentence to mean that he can see her up until she would get Void powers, but saying she's hard to view because there are patches of darkness lead me to think it's the regular grimdark disappearance.

I don't think someone who says "BFFSIES 4EVERZ" would go grimdark for some reason. I like the idea that momRose went grimdark in this timeline too. She still goes to the grocery store all grey faced and glowy black speaking horrorterror gobbedlygook. Then whenever Kidmom is around her, UU can't see her. We won't really know until kidMom and kidBro are introduced which will be an agonizingly long time.

Someone who said that wouldn't go grimdark in usual circumstances, but S/URB changes people. Karkat would never have mellowed out without the game.

It's just a theory, though

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I wonder how hard John is going to flip his poo poo when he finds out about Jane's crocker obsession. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cyrai posted:

Well, yeah, UU has access to the Guardians' full timeline, which was how he was able to orchestra the conversations so they enter the game on the same day. If Kidmom did go grimdark, he would be able to see every time except then. I suppose you could interpret that sentence to mean that he can see her up until she would get Void powers, but saying she's hard to view because there are patches of darkness lead me to think it's the regular grimdark disappearance.

Well, it's worth mentioning that there is no evidence suggesting that Grimdark is something that you can turn off. For all we know, it's permanent. Void powers could likely be activated/deactivated on the fly.