Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Oh god, Tiny Furniture. That's gotta go on the short list of worst movies Criterion has ever put out.

Really excited for Three Outlaw Samurai though. The clips looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's about time for another Chaplin film. Probably The Gold Rush since they hinted at it before. City Lights probably needs more work since the UK and German Blus are cropped to 1.33:1 instead of proper 1.20:1.

I'm still hoping for Mr. Hulot's Holiday. I can't imagine why they have held it up for so long considering BFI put out their edition a few months ago. Both the "director's cut" and original 1953 cut look fantastic in HD.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 15, 2011

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

My order was supposed to ship today on the release of Three Colors but the status is still Not Yet Shipped.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

i am not so sure posted:

My order was supposed to ship today on the release of Three Colors but the status is still Not Yet Shipped.

They usually ship near the end of the day.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just try to enjoy the suspense.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
On the one hand, I cannot believe how terrible the cover for Tiny Furniture is. On the other hand, what better image to brand a piece of self-indulgent hipster garbage?

Kudos, Criterion. Kudos.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I honestly can't believe they're putting out Tiny Furniture.

Looks like February is a skippable month for me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Anatomy Of A Murder and Vanya On 42nd Street are nifty surprises, and World On A Wire looks pretty cool, but Tiny Furniture looks like crap (would rather they release Weekend or The Future). If Netflix (or Hulu) gets La Jetee I might rent it, and Three Outlaw is totally off my radar. Not a bad month.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#387 - LA JETEE/SANS SOLEIL (BR upgrade, Feb 7)

•same as DVD

#596 - THREE OUTLAW SAMURAI (BR/DVD, Feb 14)

•High-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Trailer
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Bilge Ebiri

#597 - TINY FURNITURE (BR/2-disc DVD, Feb 14)

•New digital transfer, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Director Lena Dunham talks about filmmaking and autobiography in a new interview with writer and filmmaker Nora Ephron
•New interview with writer-director Paul Schrader
•Creative Nonfiction, Dunham’s first feature film
•Four short films by Dunham
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Phillip Lopate

#598 - WORLD ON A WIRE (BR/2-disc DVD, Feb 21)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Fassbinder’s “World on a Wire”: Looking Ahead to Today, a fifty-minute documentary about the making of the film by Juliane Lorenz
•New interview with German-film scholar Gerd Gemünden
•New English subtitles
•Trailer for the 2010 theatrical release
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Ed Halter

#599 - VANYA ON 42ND STREET (BR/DVD, Feb 28)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New documentary featuring interviews with André Gregory, the play’s director; actors Lynn Cohen, George Gaynes, Julianne Moore, Larry Pine, Wallace Shawn, and Brooke Smith; and producer Fred Berner
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Steven Vineberg and a 1994 on-set report by film critic Amy Taubin

#600 - ANATOMY OF A MURDER (BR/2-disc DVD, Feb 21)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New alternate 5.1 soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
• New interview with Otto Preminger biographer Foster Hirsch
•Critic Gary Giddins explores Duke Ellington’s score in a new interview
•A look at the relationship between graphic designer Saul Bass and Preminger with Bass biographer Pat Kirkham
•Newsreel footage from the set
•Excerpts from a 1967 episode of Firing Line, featuring Preminger in discussion with William F. Buckley Jr.
•Excerpts from the work in progress Anatomy of “Anatomy”: The Making of a Movie
•Behind-the-scenes photographs by Life magazine’s Gjon Mili
•Trailer, featuring on-set footage
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Nick Pinkerton and a 1959 Life magazine article on real-life lawyer Joseph N. Welch, who plays the judge in the film

My take:

Jetee/Soleil - don't need to see either of these again

Three Outlaw Samurai - rental, I predict I'll like-but-not-love it

Tiny Furniture - I have never heard a kind word about this movie and I seem to recall hating the trailer. I might skip this one entirely.

World on a Wire - Fassbinder is hit and miss with me, but this one looks pretty cool. Rental.

Vanya - I like Malle. Not as much as Criterion seems to like him, but I'll give it a look. Rental.

Anatomy of a Murder - Not feeling any burning desire to revisit it, but that's a nice batch of supplements. Possible rental.

First month in quite a while with no must-haves.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sans Soleil is a draining experience, but I could watch it annually. It's so dense that every time I see it, it feels like there was a bunch of new stuff added. Chris Marker's work is just out of this world to me. I'll buy it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is Tiny Furniture really as bad as the trailer makes it out to be? Because from what I can tell it looks awful. Please Criterion, I know the hipsters give you a lot of business but that doesn't mean you have to let their awful movies in.

I remember I bought Anatomy of a Murder for five bucks or so a while ago but never got around to watching it. Guess this is reason enough to check it out.

Apart from that, I'll wait till World on a Wire and Outlaw Samurai are on Netflix. Even though they look interesting, they seem like risky blind buy purchases.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Sans Soleil is a draining experience, but I could watch it annually. It's so dense that every time I see it, it feels like there was a bunch of new stuff added. Chris Marker's work is just out of this world to me. I'll buy it.

I really love this movie; so excited to see a Blu-ray release and I can't wait to watch it again!

Is Tiny Furniture really that bad? I didn't catch it when it was out, but the trailer seemed interesting enough.

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 15, 2011

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I like La Jetee/Sans Soleil and own the DVD, but don't see much of a reason to upgrade. Three Outlaw Assassins looks like it could be good but I've been burnt out on samurai movies since I saw 13 Assassins. World on a Wire seems the most interesting.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is Tiny Furniture really as bad as the trailer makes it out to be? Because from what I can tell it looks awful. Please Criterion, I know the hipsters give you a lot of business but that doesn't mean you have to let their awful movies in.

It is terrible. Stilted, over-written, derivative, arrogant, self-pitying crap dressed up as self-deprecating introspection. It's one of the very few films that has made me want to inflict violence on the people I am watching, it's just that loving irritating.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Pigeon Shamus posted:

derivative, arrogant, self-pitying crap dressed up as self-deprecating introspection

Holy poo poo, it's like my entire personality in one sentence. I'll have to pick this movie up ASAP.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

Three Outlaw Samurai - rental, I predict I'll like-but-not-love it
It'll be nice to see it in a good transfer, but it's difficult to get that excited over another minor jidaigeki film on Criterion. If they wanted to release more Gosha, I think it'd be much more interesting to see them do an Eclipse box covering more of his career; the films with Nakadai from the middle of his career are his best, and are one of the highpoints of the nihilistic chanbara samurai subgenre.

FitFortDanga posted:

Vanya - I like Malle. Not as much as Criterion seems to like him, but I'll give it a look. Rental.
It's really good, but it isn't one of those films that I could ever see feeling the need to return to over and over. The conceit is clever, but I think it makes the whole thing feel a little more like an exercise than a regular, stand-up great film. If that distinction makes sense. Hickcock's Rope (1948), for example, would probably be a better, if forgotten, film if it wasn't for the conceit that defines it. Malle's film is a great statement about narrative economy which is hampered by the fact it is so obviously making a statement.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Pigeon Shamus posted:

It is terrible. Stilted, over-written, derivative, arrogant, self-pitying crap dressed up as self-deprecating introspection. It's one of the very few films that has made me want to inflict violence on the people I am watching, it's just that loving irritating.

Agreed. I watched the first 37 seconds of the trailer and I only laughed once, but that was because I was laughing at how loving awful the dialogue was.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Tiny Furniture isn't very good but I suppose it's reasonable for Criterion to have at least some acknowledgement of mumblecore in the catalogue, and Tiny Furniture is, if nothing else, probably the most high-profile example of the genre.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
My friend will be excited for a new samurai flick, he's a whore for the genre.

Not the kind of month that blows my skirt up, but I'm interested in everything (except Tiny Furniture).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Was gonna ask this in the Recommendation thread, but I figure I'll get a better answer here:

What's a good place to start with Fassbinder? I tried Marriage of Maria Braun and wasn't really into it. But I figure there's some stuff of his I might like, being that he made 40 movies.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

codyclarke posted:

Was gonna ask this in the Recommendation thread, but I figure I'll get a better answer here:

What's a good place to start with Fassbinder? I tried Marriage of Maria Braun and wasn't really into it. But I figure there's some stuff of his I might like, being that he made 40 movies.

I've only seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul but it seems to be his most well-known feature and it's pretty straightforward. Great movie, too. It helps if you like Douglas Sirk melodramas but it's not a prereq.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

I've only seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul but it seems to be his most well-known feature and it's pretty straightforward. Great movie, too. It helps if you like Douglas Sirk melodramas but it's not a prereq.

That one is my favorite. Berlin Alexanderplatz is my second favorite, but not a good starting point.

Haven't much enjoyed the others I've seen. Maria Braun is okay.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The great thing about Fassbinder is that he has literally made at least one film that will appeal to every taste. Except maybe screwball comedy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's really inexcusable for me to not have seen Veronika Voss given what a hard-on I have for Sunset Blvd.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

kaujot posted:

Except maybe screwball comedy.

Whity (which I hated) is kind of screwball comedy.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

Whity (which I hated) is kind of screwball comedy.

The other great thing about Fassbinder is that it's impossible to remember every film he made. :v:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

SubG posted:

It'll be nice to see it in a good transfer, but it's difficult to get that excited over another minor jidaigeki film on Criterion. If they wanted to release more Gosha, I think it'd be much more interesting to see them do an Eclipse box covering more of his career; the films with Nakadai from the middle of his career are his best, and are one of the highpoints of the nihilistic chanbara samurai subgenre.

I think the movie is one of Gosha's better movies, and Criterion has had the rights to this one a long time, so it's good they are finally releasing it. I wonder if they own the rights to Tenchu as well, which is my favorite Gosha film.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

zandert33 posted:

I think the movie is one of Gosha's better movies, and Criterion has had the rights to this one a long time, so it's good they are finally releasing it. I wonder if they own the rights to Tenchu as well, which is my favorite Gosha film.
I had to look it up; I've never heard it called Tenchu before, only Hitokiri (1969). And I agree it's probably Gosha's best film. If nothing else, it's worth seeing for the cast, including Tatsuya Nakadai, Yukio Mishima (the writer), and Shintaro Katsu (probably best known as the lead in the Zatoichi films).

I think Gosha's early films (like the ones Criterion has done/is doing) are better than his end-of-career films, but he really hit his stride around the time of Tenchu/Hitokiri. I think at least some of this is due to his preference for playing at the darker end of the swordplay genre, and having directors like Kobayashi, Okamoto, and so on all making it a more mainstream approach let him move more in his own direction.

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.
So for the sale I'm thinking about picking up Three Colours. Since it's also Noir-vember I wanted to pick up Kiss Me Deadly, The Sweet Smell of Success and The Killing (all on Blu-Ray). Are these solid choices? Are there other Film-Noirs in the collection that are better picks?

Oh and would anyone happen to have another of those 25% off coupons lying around?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

kaujot posted:

They usually ship near the end of the day.

Still hasn't shipped.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

i am not so sure posted:

Still hasn't shipped.

Welp, this is Barnes & Noble.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I spent 100 bucks on Criterion blind-buys today. I think I have a problem.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

AntiqueCowboy posted:

So for the sale I'm thinking about picking up Three Colours. Since it's also Noir-vember I wanted to pick up Kiss Me Deadly, The Sweet Smell of Success and The Killing (all on Blu-Ray). Are these solid choices? Are there other Film-Noirs in the collection that are better picks?

Oh and would anyone happen to have another of those 25% off coupons lying around?

Pickup on South Street is not necessarily better than those picks, but it's another solid noir worth considering.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Friedpundit posted:

Pickup on South Street is not necessarily better than those picks, but it's another solid noir worth considering.

Definitely seconding this. That movie is so much fun. And I just watched Shock Corridor tonight, which is also by Fuller, and I really dug that one as well. It's kind of a Twilight Zone-y film noir.

AntiqueCowboy
Jul 31, 2005
Okay punk, listen up. I don't like your face. That's not a good thing.
Thanks for the recommendations!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
He asks about noir and no one says "Night and the City?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I've ever read about Tiny Furniture is Ebert's (overall positive) review so it's hilarious to read people all up in arms like "oh no! not one of them there hipster movies!"

Has anyone who bought the F&A blu-ray received it yet? I'm really interested to know more about it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Bown posted:

The only thing I've ever read about Tiny Furniture is Ebert's (overall positive) review so it's hilarious to read people all up in arms like "oh no! not one of them there hipster movies!"

Has anyone who bought the F&A blu-ray received it yet? I'm really interested to know more about it.

Like I said, I don't particularly like it (although the more I think about it the more interested I am in seeing it again), but 'hipster movie' is such a weirdly vacant criticism. It could mean anything, it means nothing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bown posted:

This was a blind buy, but from skimming, I almost had to check to see if a 35mm projector had been magically installed behind my monitor. According to the liner notes, the theatrical cut was transferred in 2K directly from the camera negative.

(Also, Three Colors shipped today from B&N)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I never had much of a hate for Tiny Furniture. I merely didn't like it and didn't give it much thought after. I really thought it was a totally forgettable film. If anything, the wave of people spewing hate on it made me side with it a little, even though it was not a film I liked. But if Lena Dunham approved that cover, I'm gonna go ahead and side with the people spewing hate on it. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life.

Bown posted:

I got mine today. I played a little of Episode 1 of the long cut and it looks absolutely fantastic. My ears aren't so great so I didn't notice anything different about the uncompressed soundtrack. As for the supplements, I'm not sure any of them were sourced from HD except that The Making of F&A was 16mm and looks all right. Very grainy, but that's just from being a 29 year old 16mm source, and honestly that's what 16mm is supposed to look like anyway.

I'm really pissed that my box took a corner ding in its travels though. B&N packed it in just a plain thin plastic mailer instead of the normal fold-over box that my Darjeeling Limited came in last week. Also the box doesn't have the little surprise inside of the spine that the larger DVD box had :/

robix smash fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 17, 2011