Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah... I recall when DVD came out, Pixar movies really had the biggest "wow" factor when it came to emphasizing the clarity of DVD. Now that Blu-Ray is out, CG movies really do emphasize the high resolution more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

On this train of thought: CGI animation in general seems to benefit the most from high definition.

Traditional animation is also pretty amazing.

The Triplets Of Belleville and The Illusionist had so much detail and were perfect looking. Same with any of the old Disney movies.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I love classic Disney cartoons, they look like moving artwork.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Tree of Life BR had a title card stating "The producers of this film recommend that you play it loud." I laughed to myself, but they weren't kidding. The sound quality is outstanding - hands down the best BR I've listened to.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

fenix down posted:

The Tree of Life BR had a title card stating "The producers of this film recommend that you play it loud." I laughed to myself, but they weren't kidding. The sound quality is outstanding - hands down the best BR I've listened to.

Criterion's release of The Thin Red Line also recommends this. It's so you can hear the whispering. :v:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Being in Italy for a few months more, I was thinking of buying one of their bluray editions of Leone's westerns. Here's my two options:

A completely new restored version of A Fistfull of Dollars
http://www.amazon.it/Pugno-Dollari-Versione-Restaurata-CE/dp/B0041KW6E8/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1321297838&sr=1-2

A triple pack containing Mondo's version of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
http://www.amazon.it/Sergio-Leone-Collection-Ltd-Blu-Ray/dp/B0047H977E/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1321297591&sr=1-1

The triple pack for some reason has My Name is Nobody also.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Wow, the preorder for Fernando Di Leo crime collection dropped ten dollars to $24.99 ($6.25 a movie) on Amazon. Ships December 6th

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005MTHRDM

quote:

The inspiration for Quentin Tarantino s early films, Fernando Di Leo is the master of garish, intricately plotted, ultra-violent stories about pimps and petty gangsters who perfects the genre with an uncanny accuracy. For the first time digitally restored from the original 35mm negative and remastered in collaboration with the Venice Film Festival, 4 of Fernando Di Leo s masterpieces in one box set which includes: Caliber 9 (Milano Calibro 9, 1972), The Italian Connection (La Mala Ordina, 1972), The Boss (Il Boss, 1973), Rulers Of The City (Padroni della citta, 1976) Now available for the first time on Blu-Ray.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 14, 2011

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I have both of these pre-ordered, but I can't figure out which one I'm looking forward to more.

Oh, who am I kidding, it's the Looney Tunes set.

YOIKS, AND AWAY

I'm someone who has all 6 Looney Tunes Golden Collections. Seeing this now come out on blu-ray just seems like a real money grab - although i'm also thrilled to get these cartoons in bluray quality.

Question is: Is the 'Platinum' set worth getting for someone like me who has all the DVD sets?

I've read reviews and there seems to be only a few cartoons that weren't in the Golden Collections. Supplements all appear to be the same for the most part. I just don't see anything that makes it stand out - other than double-dipping just for the HD cartoons I already own.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's only a money grab in the sense that anything that comes out on blu is a "money grab" to someone who already owns it in another format.

I don't have any of the DVD collections, so I can't speak to specifics, but if the supplements and cartoons are the same then you just have to base your purchase on if you want the footage in HD or not. It's the same decision a lot of people have had to make over the last few years, and if the quality of the HD restorations didn't look as good as it does I'd probably just grab the Golden Collections for cheap.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

fenix down posted:

I rented the blu ray from the redbox so I didn't see the card, but yes that is 100% dead on. The movie has incredible sound. I can't even begin to explain the mix of emotions I felt watching the "universe" scenes. The wide shot of the milky way with that Lacrimosa song drat near brought me to full on tears. Just a great looking and great sounding film.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
So are there any good and inexpensive blu ray players out there that are zone free? My ps3 just gave my the YLOD, and since it'll be a bit before I can have time to sit down and to fix it, I figured I would get a stand alone player. All I really need in it is wifi for netflix.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

The Phantom Goat posted:

So are there any good and inexpensive blu ray players out there that are zone free?

No, unfortunately.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Figured. I saw there was one insignia (with mediocre reviews) that has an older firmware that allowed for a remote hack, but beyond that, it looks a seiki that's only available in canada.

oh well.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

akadajet posted:

They've updated the trailer to Star Trek: The Next Generation to add some footage from the restoration. New stuff begins around 1:19. Looks awesome.
The footage looked great, but that Flash player was horrible.

I can't help thinking that they're putting out this taster BR because they're not willing to commit to remastering the whole series without being sure they'll make their money back. "Holy poo poo, have you seen how much it'll cost to redo 'The Best Of Both Worlds'? Those nerds better have their wallets wide open."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Payndz posted:

I can't help thinking that they're putting out this taster BR because they're not willing to commit to remastering the whole series without being sure they'll make their money back. "Holy poo poo, have you seen how much it'll cost to redo 'The Best Of Both Worlds'? Those nerds better have their wallets wide open."

Star Trek fans WILL spend the money on them. It's never failed before.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Payndz posted:

They'd make the money back and then some in syndication anyway, bluray money is basically a bonus.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Does anyone have a timeline of when the TNG blu-rays will come out season by season? What was it like for TOS?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dudebro posted:

Does anyone have a timeline of when the TNG blu-rays will come out season by season? What was it like for TOS?

TOS Season 1 HD-DVD = November 20, 2007
TOS Season 1 Blu-Ray = April 28, 2009
TOS Season 2 Blu-Ray = September 22, 2009
TOS Season 3 Blu-Ray = December 15, 2009

I wouldn't expect an aggressive release like that since they are dipping their toe in the water to see if it will sell.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 15, 2011

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just found out about Dead Alive on bluray.
I'm pretty sure what came out as Dead Alive was a bit cut down, so anyone know if this has all of the Braindead content?

I'd like to jump on it since I'm pretty sure Peter Jackson has no interest in revisiting his old good movies for any special editions.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

friendo55 posted:

I'm someone who has all 6 Looney Tunes Golden Collections. Seeing this now come out on blu-ray just seems like a real money grab - although i'm also thrilled to get these cartoons in bluray quality.

Question is: Is the 'Platinum' set worth getting for someone like me who has all the DVD sets?

I've read reviews and there seems to be only a few cartoons that weren't in the Golden Collections. Supplements all appear to be the same for the most part. I just don't see anything that makes it stand out - other than double-dipping just for the HD cartoons I already own.

I have all of the Golden Collection sets and I'm not hesitant to upgrade. While I wish they had gone for more cartoons and a more eclectic selection, it's not so bad. The first DVD set was heavy on Chuck Jones shorts, had only 56 shorts, and nothing in B&W. The 6th volume had almost 75 and had a whole disc devoted to the early 1930-1933 shorts. So, I think it's important to support this release warts and all. Plus, the remasters seem to be awesome - some of the earlier color cartoons (mostly 1936-1946 for some reason) had a lot of pixelation due to film grain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

January 24th

This will be a new restoration by Paramount. From what I've read, the digital cleanup is spotless, the original tinting and stencil color are intact, plus the original 1927 score was re-recorded with a full orchestra. The original release also had a sound-on-disc effects track that was completely re-recorded for this edition.

No extras listed yet, but there are two other recorded scores in existence - theater organ by Gaylord Carter (used for the VHS and laserdisc) and orchestral by Carl Davis (1980s Thames Television airing).

It's funny how Paramount, of all studios, is the only major to release silents on Blu-Ray so far. They included the silent The Ten Commandments as an extra for the 1956 film and "The Story of Petroleum" as an extra on There Will Be Blood. Warner couldn't even bother with remastering the 1925 Ben-Hur for inclusion on the 1959 film's set, nor have they have released Greed as a Warner Archive DVD-R!

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 15, 2011

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

January 24th

gently caress yeah. Can't wait for this; hopefully they can dig up some good supplements too.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Sporadic posted:

TOS Season 1 HD-DVD = November 20, 2007
TOS Season 1 Blu-Ray = April 28, 2009
TOS Season 2 Blu-Ray = September 22, 2009
TOS Season 3 Blu-Ray = December 15, 2009

I wouldn't expect an aggressive release like that since they are dipping their toe in the water to see if it will sell.

Thanks. I would be very surprised if the TNG sets did not at least sell around the same, if not better, than the TOS sets.

But they might be better served to sell them at least 6-12 months apart because I'm guessing that each one won't be too aggressively priced at all at first.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dudebro posted:

Thanks. I would be very surprised if the TNG sets did not at least sell around the same, if not better, than the TOS sets.

But they might be better served to sell them at least 6-12 months apart because I'm guessing that each one won't be too aggressively priced at all at first.

I just looked at TOS blu rays and Amazon has them available for a little less than $70 dollars a season, but it looks like the MSRP was $120 for the first season and $85 each for the other two. Weren't the DVDs of TNG kind of insanely expensive when they first came out too?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dudebro posted:

You have to remember that the TOS HD releases were originally made for airing on TV and so they had a long head start before the Blu Ray releases. I don't think we will see quick releases of TNG at all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Skwirl posted:

I just looked at TOS blu rays and Amazon has them available for a little less than $70 dollars a season, but it looks like the MSRP was $120 for the first season and $85 each for the other two. Weren't the DVDs of TNG kind of insanely expensive when they first came out too?

Yeah, they were ridiculous. The box set that's still being sold on Amazon has a MSRP of 500 dollars which is completely nuts.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just found out about Dead Alive on bluray.
I'm pretty sure what came out as Dead Alive was a bit cut down, so anyone know if this has all of the Braindead content?

I'd like to jump on it since I'm pretty sure Peter Jackson has no interest in revisiting his old good movies for any special editions.

The blu-ray version is 97 minutes long, so it is the US Unrated cut but not the original version of Braindead. As far as I know the 104 minute Australian version isn't available in the US. According to Wikipedia, the US version is Jackson's preferred cut, so I doubt we'd ever see any other version on blu ray.

Outer Heaven
Jul 19, 2011
I have European edition of Planet Earth special edition but I'm using a U.S PS3 to watch it. The series itself and the two bonus episodes worked great but the "behind the scenes" disk doesn't work. I read somewhere that a U.S ps3 can't play 1080/50 (1080/25) content. Can someone who own this edition confirm that that is case for that disc? On the disc itself it only says that it's 1080i, data on the fps.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sheldrake posted:

gently caress yeah. Can't wait for this; hopefully they can dig up some good supplements too.

Blu-Ray.com adds:

Three documentaries:
- Wings: Grandeur in the Sky
- Dogfight!
- Restoring the Power and Beauty of Wings

The re-recorded original orchestral score is in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Gaylord Carter's theater organ score (from the VHS and laserdisc) is in Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo.

It's already up for pre-order at Amazon for just $20.99.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 15, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Criterion is announcing new titles today. Cross your fingers!

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Incidentally, the film that made me consider cinema as a serious art form is getting a Blu Ray release and a 3D conversion. :downs:
The interesting thing about The Room getting converted to 3D is that in a way it was actually filmed for it. Early in the production, Tommy Wiseau had the option of filming on either HD video or 35mm, and because he didn't know the difference, he just decided to film the entire feature with two cameras stuck together and compare the results. This means that they have "left eye" and "right eye" information already, so The Room of all movies might actually turn out to have better 3D than all those films that were converted after the fact. It might get kind of iffy, though, because the two cameras might not have been just the right distance apart, and it will probably need some tweaking or the "HD video eye" is going to get a lower quality image.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Connellingus posted:

The interesting thing about The Room getting converted to 3D is that in a way it was actually filmed for it. Early in the production, Tommy Wiseau had the option of filming on either HD video or 35mm, and because he didn't know the difference, he just decided to film the entire feature with two cameras stuck together and compare the results. This means that they have "left eye" and "right eye" information already, so The Room of all movies might actually turn out to have better 3D than all those films that were converted after the fact. It might get kind of iffy, though, because the two cameras might not have been just the right distance apart, and it will probably need some tweaking or the "HD video eye" is going to get a lower quality image.

That is loving hilarious.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Connellingus posted:

The interesting thing about The Room getting converted to 3D is that in a way it was actually filmed for it.

Where did you hear this? It's hilarious.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
Wiseau is a genius and in his interview with The Onion's A/V Club he talks about it (first page, halfway down). It's some real revisionist history on his part on why he filmed that way but it's interesting none the less.

Also, I would pay any amount of dollars for a super edition Blu-Ray of The Room where the footage of the various incarnations of the cast are included. Some super-cut where it switches between casts with every scene would be marvelous.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Payndz posted:

Honestly, I think the taster isn't so much a way to see if there's interest, but rather, a way to drum up interest by putting three popular episodes out on Bluray for a casual market to buy.

Remember, TNG is the most popular Star Trek, and probably the most popular science fiction show ever. Remastering it in HD wasn't so they could sell blu-rays, rather, it is so they can keep the show running in syndication since networks want more HD material.

Also, I think when it comes to remastering, you pretty much have committed to the entire show. You can't just have one season remastered in HD. In fact, for most shows, remastering is so easy. It'll be interesting to see how exactly they handled the FX for TNG since they said they couldn't just recomposite it, but I'd be surprise if it was an incredibly expensive endeavor.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Deadwood: The Complete Series dropped to $76.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00129AJFO

Also two new Criterion preorders are only $16.99. Can't imagine them staying that price for long. Normal preorder price is usually $27.99

Anatomy Of A Murder = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00687XO1G

World On A Wire = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0068CEGB8

- edit And Three Outlaw Samurai preorder is only $20.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00687XNQM

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 16, 2011

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Sporadic posted:

Deadwood: The Complete Series dropped to $76.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00129AJFO

Thanks for this. Been waiting on a price drop since it reached like $85 a while back.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Looney Tunes Platinum Vol. One is on sale at Best Buy for $40. And the super ultimate version with a cup and some other junk is $50.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LOONEY+...20ray&lp=2&cp=1

Edit: here is the list of cartoons included
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection:_Volume_1

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fenix down posted:

Looney Tunes Platinum Vol. One is on sale at Best Buy for $40. And the super ultimate version with a cup and some other junk is $50.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LOONEY+...20ray&lp=2&cp=1

Edit: here is the list of cartoons included
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection:_Volume_1

It's a dollar cheaper on Amazon. $38.99

The crazy super ultimate edition is the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

It's a dollar cheaper on Amazon. $38.99

The crazy super ultimate edition is the same price.
Oh nice, I must have pulled up the super edition when I looked it up with the Amazon app. It's got a pretty awesome variety, my only complaint is there should be more Bugs episodes. Guess I'll have to wait until Vol. Two.

• Locked thread