Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Washout posted:

Is there a mod that just lets me distribute all my points the way I want at each level up? I.e. just gives me 10 points per level that I can put in anything I want? There was one for oblivion that did this and it was the only way I could stand it. I don't want to have to grind skills for attributes. It drives me nuts and is the entire reason why I have never played morrowind.

If you do find one, make sure it gets posted here so I can download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Musical_Daredevil posted:

There's the "always plus five" mod:
http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29859

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

tilde:
player->setAttribute #

Works in a pinch if that plus5 thing isn't exactly what you're going for.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
The particular mod Washout is looking for (or at least I'm looking for) would allow you to put, say, 4 points in Wisdom, 3 points in Strength, 2 points in Agility, and 1 point in Luck at the level-up screen without forcing you to precisely control which skills increase during each level and only pick three. The "always plus five" mod doesn't quite do this (although its less annoying than vanilla), and the console method gets tedious.

I'll have to check, but this sort of thing may be outside of my skills as a modder if it doesn't exist.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Washout posted:

Is there a mod that just lets me distribute all my points the way I want at each level up? I.e. just gives me 10 points per level that I can put in anything I want? There was one for oblivion that did this and it was the only way I could stand it. I don't want to have to grind skills for attributes. It drives me nuts and is the entire reason why I have never played morrowind.

I assume you're talking about OblivionXP? I would kill for such a thing on Morrowind, but I don't know of any that exist.

Just thinking aloud here, but I wonder how hard it would really be to implement this. CharacterMaker has an option to redistribute your starting attirbutes and skills through a menu, so it might possible to use a similar script that's triggered on level up. In fact, I might look into this a little more deeply; does anyone know some good scripting resources?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is there a new sound and graphics overhaul that self installs and does not require a million steps? Or is the one in the OP still the easiest to install? Honestly it looks like such a pain in the butt I'd rather just toss on better bodies and heads and call it quits. Supposedly there is one out there with a self installer that is really easy, but every time I thought I'd downloaded it, no self installer was to be found.

Edit: also I ended up using MADD leveller, since just getting stats for skills is pretty much fine, even though I'd rather be able to manually assign my stats, just raising my skills and then getting stat ups seems fine.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 10, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Washout posted:

Is there a new sound and graphics overhaul that self installs and does not require a million steps? Or is the one in the OP still the easiest to install? Honestly it looks like such a pain in the butt I'd rather just toss on better bodies and heads and call it quits.

Well, there's the aptly named Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul (MGSO) that sounds like it's right up your alley...

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well, there's the aptly named Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul (MGSO) that sounds like it's right up your alley...

Right, this one has a 25 page install document or something, do I have to do all this or can I just do like the first 5 steps and get most of the textures and meshes replaced and then not bother with everything else?

edit: nvm read it and the installer is just gigantic. I'm looking for something simple, I think I'll just get better bodies/heads and beast bodies and call it quits.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 10, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Washout posted:

Right, this one has a 25 page install document or something, do I have to do all this or can I just do like the first 5 steps and get most of the textures and meshes replaced and then not bother with everything else?

I've never cracked MGSO open, myself, but it would seem that you could get away with skipping certain steps if you are very confident in what you're doing. But at that point, you're not really saving much time by doing this, since you'll instead be trying to figure out what you can cut out without having the world populated with big broken meshes.

I am unaware of anything that matches your criteria (i.e. simply executable installers that do everything for you) unfortunately.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I used to be a repackager by trade, it was my job to distribute big upgrade software packages without any user intervention whatsoever. So it always drives me completely crazy that someone would go to all the trouble of making a big pack like this and then not just have 3 selections when it starts, choose quality, high medium low and then just be done with it, and leave all the big supplemental stuff for people that really want to mess with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Washout posted:

I used to be a repackager by trade, it was my job to distribute big upgrade software packages without any user intervention whatsoever. So it always drives me completely crazy that someone would go to all the trouble of making a big pack like this and then not just have 3 selections when it starts, choose quality, high medium low and then just be done with it, and leave all the big supplemental stuff for people that really want to mess with it.

Yeah, I totally understand. On the flipside, almost everything you install in the data files folder can be packaged up and thrown on a thumb drive for future installs. I always back up this folder because it saves me the 3 or 4 hours I would normally spend opening up .rar files and installing mods. It's not an exact science, and certain things need to be installed separately (like the MCP and Morrowind Patch Project) but 99% of your poo poo can be zipped up for future consumption.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Washout posted:

Is there a new sound and graphics overhaul that self installs and does not require a million steps? Or is the one in the OP still the easiest to install? Honestly it looks like such a pain in the butt I'd rather just toss on better bodies and heads and call it quits. Supposedly there is one out there with a self installer that is really easy, but every time I thought I'd downloaded it, no self installer was to be found.

Oggumoggogum's megapack (under "extras" in the OP) should be what you're looking for. It's basically just a bunch of mods with no installer AFAIK.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 10, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
What's the method to get morrowind looking like the screenshots in the OP? Installing MSGO?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
So I'm about to play Morrowind (steam version) for the first time. Is Oggumogoggum's Morrowind Mods Compilation the best thing for a first-time player? I only really care about making the graphics better/less aged to be honest, but bugfixes are cool too I guess.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I think it would work fairly well for a first-time player, but I guess I'm biased. Many people will probably recommend you play unmodded the first time through, but I think mods are okay. My mod pack intends to improve the game without essentially changing anything too much -- it doesn't add anything that doesn't fit the lore or seem out-of-place.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Oggumogoggum posted:

I think it would work fairly well for a first-time player, but I guess I'm biased. Many people will probably recommend you play unmodded the first time through, but I think mods are okay. My mod pack intends to improve the game without essentially changing anything too much -- it doesn't add anything that doesn't fit the lore or seem out-of-place.

Without mods you can do the infinite INT super potions trick

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

What's the method to get morrowind looking like the screenshots in the OP? Installing MSGO?

Some of those screenshots come from my game, and I didn't use MGSO. I installed MGE, MGE-XE on top of it, texture packs for pretty much everything in the game, and Vurt's Groundcover + Tree mods for all of the regions. The combination of those four things will make the biggest difference for you.

The problem is that there are a lot of little things--some still being updated--that need to be installed to cover all of your bases if you want things looking really good. Better Bodies + Better Heads + EYES for Better Heads (so NPCs' eyes follow you). Then mesh replacements for furniture, alchemical ingredients, weapons, armor, and miscellaneous stuff (look up AnOldFriend / AOF on the Nexus or PlanetElderScrolls--his poo poo is universally fantastic.)

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

Installing MGSO isn't that bad. It can be a bit complicated but that is the nature of modding Morrowind. Using the install guide PDF, and the Youtube video, I had an older version (1.1) up and running with no issues in about 30 minutes. And for the sheer number of mods/replacers that it installs at once, that is an incredibly short amount of setup time.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
If I use Oggum's pack, can I/is it beneficial to still install MGSO and MGE?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there a good pack that's just quests/gameplay/bug fixes and no graphics mods? I just installed on my netbook, so graphics mods probably aren't gonna play nicely.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
I just got back into this, and the first thing you should install is MGE, and run the distant land creation wizard.

This was that biggest change in the game, being able to see more than five feet, and after that I've just been picking and choosing mods as I see fit. Which means it took me about 10 minutes to get playing in a much better looking game, and I'm not spending 4 hours trying to upgrade everything at once.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Cytokinesis posted:

If I use Oggum's pack, can I/is it beneficial to still install MGSO and MGE?

I would use MGE but not MGSO. It's probably not a good idea to use multiple mod packs, ever.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is there a good pack that's just quests/gameplay/bug fixes and no graphics mods? I just installed on my netbook, so graphics mods probably aren't gonna play nicely.

If you use my pack, you can simply choose not to install the graphics enhancements. It's pretty modular.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I use MGSO to install a base of mods. It doesn't come with Connary's textures, for instance, so I install those over top, in addition to the stuff in Knots guide, etc. It is very easy to install and comes with a wizard that basically walks you through installing it.

I also run MGE-XE or whatever over top of it. It makes everything very nice.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

If you use my pack, you can simply choose not to install the graphics enhancements. It's pretty modular.

Thanks, that's pretty useful. I'm used to megapacks that are all or nothing.

EDIT: Is there a non-Torrent download of the pack somewhere? Im not connecting to any peers for some reason.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 15, 2011

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
gently caress this, I'm waiting on Skyrim to arrive by post, I don't have Oblivion and I only completed Morrowind once and that was without any mods ... I'm reinstalling it right now. :v:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Magic posted:

gently caress this, I'm waiting on Skyrim to arrive by post, I don't have Oblivion and I only completed Morrowind once and that was without any mods ... I'm reinstalling it right now. :v:

You're in for a treat. Morrowind is an amazing game and with graphical improvements it's even better. The only reason to get Oblivion is to install Nehrim, which you can clearly tell Bethesda took some inspiration from for Skyrim as they do share a lot of similarities. In fact, it's almost eerie.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
Cheers Naky (Also need to talk about Samods and your hosting - I'll drop you a mail some time).

I originally went with an ork barbarian, this time (without mods) I tried a Breton Sorcerer but I found combat really tough, I basically summoned my ancestral ghost and wailed on a bandit with a fire-touch spell. Any tips for magic users?

Or for now I may restart with a wood elf and go for an archer build instead...

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Good news - the guys who created the MGSO are now creating the MGEO, the Morrowind Game Experience Overhaul. It's like the graphics overhaul, but for gameplay and content. KINGPIX has a thread with the full details on the Bethesda forums.

For the rest of you, KINGPIX recently announced MGSO version 2.0, a less annoying version of MGSO with updated versions of the mods. It includes a "Super duperrr AutoInstaller" to take care of a lot of stuff automatically and "Many, many ,many, many new fixes". There haven't been a lot of other details other than "stay tuned" and this Youtube video.

Magic posted:

gently caress this, I'm waiting on Skyrim to arrive by post, I don't have Oblivion and I only completed Morrowind once and that was without any mods ... I'm reinstalling it right now.

I'm in a similar position. My laptop fans barely work right now and if I try to run anything too intense (like Skyrim or Saints Row 3), I'll probably fry my hard drive (again). :smith:

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I have a question but I am not sure if anyone can answer it. I pretty much just followed the instructions for installing mods from here, but one of the addons makes it so I can't create my own restoration spells to buff my attributes. Does anyone know which addon does this? I wanted to make a monk type class that buffs up strength/agi/speed and uses H2H, but I can't do that currently.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

soscannonballs posted:

I have a question but I am not sure if anyone can answer it. I pretty much just followed the instructions for installing mods from here, but one of the addons makes it so I can't create my own restoration spells to buff my attributes. Does anyone know which addon does this? I wanted to make a monk type class that buffs up strength/agi/speed and uses H2H, but I can't do that currently.

It'll probably be easier if you post a load order. Off the top of my head, it sounds like you're running with one of BTB's mods.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

I finally went through the motions and installed all of Oggo's mods, except for wakims game improvements, in the load order he suggested.

I can get the load screen up without an errors, but when I try to start a new game my Morrowind is crashing. Does anyone know what could be doing this?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Cytokinesis posted:

I finally went through the motions and installed all of Oggo's mods, except for wakims game improvements, in the load order he suggested.

I can get the load screen up without an errors, but when I try to start a new game my Morrowind is crashing. Does anyone know what could be doing this?

Is it a straight crash-to-desktop or is there any error message?

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

Is it a straight crash-to-desktop or is there any error message?

I saw an error message once for about a second, I think it said "GaL...." something, but it disappeared too quickly for me to tell.

Every time since then it has crashed to desktop, giving me an error message to shut Morrowind down.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Naky posted:

You're in for a treat. Morrowind is an amazing game and with graphical improvements it's even better. The only reason to get Oblivion is to install Nehrim, which you can clearly tell Bethesda took some inspiration from for Skyrim as they do share a lot of similarities. In fact, it's almost eerie.

Seriously, I'm getting incredibly heavy Nehrim vibes from Skyrim. Magic being rare/mistrusted, a mage's college, frosty spiders, the dungeons with the unique treasures that weren't in Oblivion, the terrain is pretty similar, I'm sure there's somewhere like High Hrothgar in Nehrim but I don't remember it perfectly and there's a city in Nehrim that is reminiscent of Solitude and Whiterun.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Good news - the guys who created the MGSO are now creating the MGEO, the Morrowind Game Experience Overhaul. It's like the graphics overhaul, but for gameplay and content. KINGPIX has a thread with the full details on the Bethesda forums.

Thanks for that. Turns out Morrowind runs like poo poo on my netbook even without mods, but I'll hang onto that link for the future.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Cytokinesis posted:

I saw an error message once for about a second, I think it said "GaL...." something, but it disappeared too quickly for me to tell.

Every time since then it has crashed to desktop, giving me an error message to shut Morrowind down.

Might be an error with Galsiah's Character Development, which can be spotty sometimes. I remember when I compiled the pack, I would still get a GCD-related crash on startup about one in 10 launches. Are you using a new savegame? You really should be when installing all those mods.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

Might be an error with Galsiah's Character Development, which can be spotty sometimes. I remember when I compiled the pack, I would still get a GCD-related crash on startup about one in 10 launches. Are you using a new savegame? You really should be when installing all those mods.

I am using a new game. And thank you, you are right, GCD is causing the crash. Do you know any way to fix it? I really don't want to play with Morrowind's base settings, and I remember liking GCD's changes.

Cytokinesis fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 16, 2011

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I can't play without GCD either, but I'm not sure how to definitively fix it. :\ Try launching a few more times, and if the crash persists, give MADD Leveler a shot instead (disclaimer, I've never used this mod, but it looks like it does the same thing and people seem to approve).

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

I can't play without GCD either, but I'm not sure how to definitively fix it. :\ Try launching a few more times, and if the crash persists, give MADD Leveler a shot instead (disclaimer, I've never used this mod, but it looks like it does the same thing and people seem to approve).

I've managed to get it work by disabling GCD-Teopatch. I can run all the other parts of GCD. I'm not sure what teopatch does, but hopefully that is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Cytokinesis posted:

I've managed to get it work by disabling GCD-Teopatch. I can run all the other parts of GCD. I'm not sure what teopatch does, but hopefully that is good enough.

That's a compatibility patch for GCD that's meant to be used if you're also using Thief Experience Overhaul.