Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Is the Gristwidget 12000 the thing that looks like a red Modus Control Deck? I wonder what the heck that thing'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

creationist believer posted:

Is the Gristwidget 12000 the thing that looks like a red Modus Control Deck? I wonder what the heck that thing'll do.

Recycle captcha'd items back into Grist?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

It's good to see that John was apparently that universe's Harry Anderson. While Harry Anderson became some kind of... action move star? Hey chase your dreams I guess.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Has anyone shown any of their Hero of _____ powers before starting the game though? Sollux kind of I guess with his whole Doom thing.

The Darkleer had his Void powers and he wasn't even in that universe's session, so...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder what John's going to make of the life his Scratched self led? Would he too look forward to becoming a huge cornball and starring in Night Court?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

I wonder what John's going to make of the life his Scratched self led? Would he too look forward to becoming a huge cornball and starring in Night Court?

I have no idea how you were able to get to the end of typing this post without it turning into the word YES, over and over.

And it's nice to finally see proof that the Condesce is, in fact, Betty Crocker, since there were some people who still cried "fakeout!" about the issue. Though this isn't likely to stop them anyway so whatever

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

so why did the scratch reset the trolls too, aren't they in a different universe that exists apart from them or...?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

so why did the scratch reset the trolls too, aren't they in a different universe that exists apart from them or...?

I don't get any indication that the trolls were scratched.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pony Pals. :3:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't get any indication that the trolls were scratched.

People keep asking this, I think, because of the assumption that UU is a troll and obviously we Andrew wouldn't introduce any more characters because let me tell you I am just about ready to flip my poo poo as it is what with all these imaginary teenagers running around why I think if I had to keep track of even one more my brain would simply melt out of my ears.

Or something.

Lady Charlemagne
Apr 23, 2008

GOD I'M TIRED
I don't really have time to read through the 2000+ posts that have popped up since I last checked this thread (seriously guys, wow) but I keep seeing this idea of KidMom being a hero of void and I wanted to throw out my own speculation about the new kids' roles. People I've talked to seem to strongly think that Jake is going to be a hero of hope, as "hope" is the last word in his description just like "life" was the last word in Jane's. And I sort of assumed we'll see a hero of mind and a hero of heart because of the recent WhatPumpkin designs (although it'd be very like Hussie to subvert that expectation).

Anyway here's hoping for the fabled eight-person Sburb session and John's freakout about his ectobiological ancestor's worship of the batterwitch.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Pony Pals. :3:

Oh gently caress that's going to turn out to be a gift from Brokid or something. He's going to turn out to be a brony, isn't he?

If that happens, I just... I don't know. :smithicide:

Lady Charlemagne posted:

I don't really have time to read through the 2000+ posts that have popped up since I last checked this thread (seriously guys, wow) but I keep seeing this idea of KidMom being a hero of void and I wanted to throw out my own speculation about the new kids' roles. People I've talked to seem to strongly think that Jake is going to be a hero of hope, as "hope" is the last word in his description just like "life" was the last word in Jane's. And I sort of assumed we'll see a hero of mind and a hero of heart because of the recent WhatPumpkin designs (although it'd be very like Hussie to subvert that expectation).

The thing is that we already have a living Hero of Mind in Terezi, and although she never went godtier (yet) the symbol has shown up in the context of her powers. The dead trolls with non-redundant aspects are Heart, Void, Life, and Hope (and half-Doom) so that's what most people are betting on for scratchkid aspects.

vvvvv

It's specifically established that the scenes we're seeing now occur on 11/11/11.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 16, 2011

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oh gently caress that's going to turn out to be a gift from Brokid or something. He's going to turn out to be a brony, isn't he?

It's still 2009, Fim hasn't even aired.

And remember Hussie was thinking horses are hilarious before ponies were a thing. ("I love being strong", Equius, H. Boxcars getting stuck in the spirited horses calender) I would be sad if Hussie can't make horse jokes anymore without MLP being brought up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Then we all get probated. :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Jane's intro page actually says it is 11/11/11, so... :ohdear:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Yonic Symbolism posted:

No, it's 2011 in the new universe, hence why Jane et al are all 15.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Nope, it's 2011 post-scratch. 11/11/11, remember? MLP:FiM has been out for at least a year. Provided, of course, the scratch didn't remove its existence.

e:f;b x2 COMBO

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

I was just starting to think I should upgrade to a Jane or kidMom avatar whenever she's introduced. I think I'd be obligated to keep this if that turned out to be the case.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Bro is gooing to be a hipster brony.

He was into horses before it was cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, John. Pranking master indeed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

People keep asking this, I think, because of the assumption that UU is a troll and obviously we Andrew wouldn't introduce any more characters because let me tell you I am just about ready to flip my poo poo as it is what with all these imaginary teenagers running around why I think if I had to keep track of even one more my brain would simply melt out of my ears.

Or something.

Whoa there hoss cool your sperg jets i just asked a question
Are they new trolls or not? It looks like new trolls.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Grapplejack posted:

Whoa there hoss cool your sperg jets i just asked a question
Are they new trolls or not? It looks like new trolls.

Ehhh, looks like a new troll.

Jawat
Feb 7, 2010

WELCOME TO THE DARK CARNIVAL, BROTHER.
:oD

Has anyone shown any of their Hero of _____ powers before starting the game though?

Perhaps it isn't that receiving the title "Hero of _____" imbues you with any special power, just that the title/symbol is given to the player who's NATURAL ABILITIES/QUALITIES best reflect that title. I.E. pre-scratch Darkleer didn't become the Hero of Void and then gain his "obfuscation" abilities, he always had those abilities, so when he entered the game, it decided "Hero of Void" is the title that best suited him. That's why he still has is obfuscation abilities post-scratch, even though he is no longer a player. Eridan didn't really have any powers related to his title, but was a "hopeless" douche pre-game, so game decides he can be in charge of hope. Same with Gamzee and Rage, and so on.

More completely baseless speculation: going god-tier "enhances" their natural powers because a)two minds/souls coming together = twice as powerful and/or b) Going god-tier is symbolic of them maturing (I believe there was talk about trolls having wings as adults, which is why god-trolls have wings, insect anatomy, etc.) , therefore their powers "mature" as well.

Makes kids a bit trickier to explain, but since I'm pulling stuff out of my rear end anyway... Their powers may have never manifested pre-game because they were never needed given that they lived very peaceful lives compared to the trolls, though kidmom seems to be showing signs of "Void". Wasn't Rose in contact with the horrorterrors pre-game too?

That's how I've always thought of it anyway.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
It's a small thing, but Jane apparently has several extra false mustaches of varying styles just lying around. :allears:

Lady Charlemagne
Apr 23, 2008

GOD I'M TIRED

Gabriel Pope posted:

The thing is that we already have a living Hero of Mind in Terezi, and although she never went godtier (yet) the symbol has shown up in the context of her powers. The dead trolls with non-redundant aspects are Heart, Void, Life, and Hope (and half-Doom) so that's what most people are betting on for scratchkid aspects.

Good point! Hadn't thought of that. I think I was too attached to the idea of Kidmom being a hero of mind because her guardian analogue was (perceived as?) such a manipulator.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Hussie is laying it on really loving thick that Jane is the Heir(ess) of Life.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

god, now I NEED to see how a Fibonacci heap fetch modus would work, and all of the ensuing shenanigans.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
God, MSPANotify is great. Nothing like finding out about new pages within a minute or two of them going up

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Ehhh, looks like a new troll.

I kind of miss Karkat, but we'll see how this goes i guess.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It's a small thing, but Jane apparently has several extra false mustaches of varying styles just lying around. :allears:
Mustaches are always hilarious under any circumstance, especially when wearing silly hats. Comedy 101 man!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Oh hey another set of updates.

I was wondering what the poo poo a Fibonacci heap was googled it, and was all like "what the gently caress is this bullshit"

e: also loving the alternate-history Harry Anderson, here :allears:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 16, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That Recipe Book is like the most useful fetch modus ever. It probably has a table of contents AND an index.

I took a year of intro computer science in college when I was 19, and as terrible as I was at it (How do I Java???), at least I understood all the data structure jokes in Act 1.

Edit: A google search of my real name brings up a fist page result of lecture notes my professor archived from 2006, which used students' names as data input for hash tables.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 16, 2011

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Huh, the logo on her recipe book didn't change.

[edit] Well, now it did.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

TVs Ian posted:

Huh, the logo on her recipe book didn't change.

[edit] Well, now it did.

Hussie is nothing if not punctual with his retconning rebranding BUY TROLL SHIRTS initiatives.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That Recipe Book is like the most useful fetch modus ever. It probably has a table of contents AND an index.

Seems like the older you get, the more useful your fetch modus are. I mean, the wallet fetch modus is amazing. The only real downside, i guess, is that you have to carry a physical wallet around with you.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Fibonacci Heap is awesome

gently caress you Hussie :saddowns:

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
So am I the last person to notice that there's a song on Homestuck Vol. 6 called Umbral Ultimatum?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

marsattacks posted:

So am I the last person to notice that there's a song on Homestuck Vol. 6 called Umbral Ultimatum?

Yes, and a bonus track on the first Alternia album named "The 13th hour" with the description "UU's theme" in the track description PDF that came with it.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

marsattacks posted:

That was actually my favorite song on Homestuck Vol. 6, and was the song to [S] Jade: Enter.

edit:

President Ark posted:

Yes, and a bonus track on the first Alternia album named "The 13th hour" with the description "UU's theme" in the track description PDF that came with it.
:monocle:

Soldier of Fortran fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 16, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

marsattacks posted:

There's also a song called Unbreakable Union, used here. Both UU songs seem to be associated pretty strongly with Bec and Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Umbral Ultimatum also uses the drums from Unbreakable Union, so yeah they've definitely got some commonality.