Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Salute Your Shorts will always stick with me because Bobby Budnick was John Connor's friend in Terminator 2 who got thrown into the air and disappeared. The most haunting thing for me in that movie is that Arnold throws him up out of frame and he vanishes from the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Here, I'll give you one to add to the list: James Bond Jr.

Yes, that was a thing, but I refuse to provide a YouTube on general principle.

The weird thing about that show was that he wasn't James Bond's SON, he was his NEPHEW. Which means he wouldn't really be "James Bond Jr."

Anyway, going further back to the early to mid 80s a lot of kids cartoons were absolutely terribly produced. Stuff like Transformers and TMNT were rife with bad animation and just plain animation errors. Stuff that wouldn't be acceptable at all today.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

For anybody who says kids have it better these days may I present counter point exhibit A, B and C.

Winx Club.

A show that is so cheaply made that they don't have sound for their special attacks. Also every stereotype imaginable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJ4Qq-eMQg&feature=related

It's been renewed for a Sixth season.

Also Sailor Moon.

Don't rememind me, I saw the recap movies on Nick (UK), it was basically the illustrated guide on the how to not animate in flash

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Neo Helbeast posted:

For anybody who says kids have it better these days may I present counter point exhibit A, B and C.

Winx Club.

Oh, lordy, you said it. What many cynics initially assumed MLP was going to be, Winx Club actually was, with bells on.

That time, Italy was to blame.

Also on the Certifiable Garbage List:
Monster Buster Club (thanks again, Canada)
Street Sharks
Sonic Underground
Rubik the Amazing Cube
Butt-Ugly Martians
Hammerman
Totally Spies
Da Boom Crew
Inhumanoids
Mucha Lucha
Sabrina the Teenage Witch: The Animated Series

Captain Planet, Care Bears, Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, the original TMNT, He-Man, Bravestarr, My Gym Partner is a Monkey, the Rosey and Buddy Show, Chuck Norris and His Karate Kommandos, and Practically Everything By Hanna-Barbera, Let's Be Honest are also technically kiddie garbage--and yet, all are still noticeably superior to Johnny Test, in terms of quality, watchability, and overall inherent value. Which is saying something.

And I even like Bravestarr. (To be more exact, I loving love Thirty-Thirty. He's a giant humanoid horse-borg what carries a Winchester bazooka. Strength of the Bear my rear end, let's just watch the horse blow poo poo up.) Back in the day, I also loved the original TMNT--though, I'm not sure I could sit through it now.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 14, 2011

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tartarus Sauce posted:

My Gym Partner is a Monkey

Stop right there. Those other shows might have lovely jokes and bad animation but nothing could be worse than the sheer unlikeability of that loving monkey (or, really, any other character in that show.)

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cliff Racer posted:

Stop right there. Those other shows might have lovely jokes and bad animation but nothing could be worse than the sheer unlikeability of that loving monkey (or, really, any other character in that show.)

That seemed to be pretty endemic of that era of Cartoon Network. Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends got to be unwatchable with how obnoxious and unlikeable they made Blu. Not really doing much with the premise and running Cheese into the ground didn't help.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

Here, I'll give you one to add to the list: James Bond Jr.

Yes, that was a thing, but I refuse to provide a YouTube on general principle.

I used to watch that show all the time but I couldn't really tell you why. It was hardly among the worst cartoons of its time though, that honor belongs to poo poo like (the fake) Ghostbusters, Slimer! and the Real Ghostbusters (also not to be confused with The Real Ghostbusters), and Tom & Jerry Kids.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 14, 2011

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So back on shows that are good, Generator Rex has been changing things up recently, and I like it a lot. So far it's avoiding becoming stale like Ben 10 did after the first series. It helps that none of the characters are assholes that you want to murder every time they refuse to learn a drat lesson.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Jack Gladney posted:

Salute Your Shorts will always stick with me because Bobby Budnick was John Connor's friend in Terminator 2 who got thrown into the air and disappeared. The most haunting thing for me in that movie is that Arnold throws him up out of frame and he vanishes from the movie.

He's still around, actually; he does voicework, most famously as Jack Spicer in Xiaolin Showdown.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Don't rememind me, I saw the recap movies on Nick (UK), it was basically the illustrated guide on the how to not animate in flash

I think it's the hilarious caricatures that they do that really gets me. She's rich and a noble? She's obviously a secret bitch. Knows black magic? Evil. British accent? Secretly evil. Looks like a fashion model? New best friend. Wears ridiculous clothes? Big bad of the season.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Monster Buster Club (thanks again, Canada)

Street Sharks

I'm going to have disagree with these two. By Marathon standards MBC was pretty good and had pretty small crew making it. I mean it's not like it was Code Lyoko (was going to put a troll face but decided to just say, it was the same team who made MBC who also made Code Lyoko). Street Sharks while I have no doubt is terrible by today standards still has the coolest show concept ever.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Oh, lordy, you said it. What many cynics initially assumed MLP was going to be, Winx Club actually was, with bells on.
~Care Bear

Oh no you didn't, Care Bears, at least the 80s version, was fine for what it was, if you're going to claim MLP is any good anyway, they're basically the same "kiddie" thing.

Pleasant Friend fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 14, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

HypnoCabbage posted:

He's still around, actually; he does voicework, most famously as Jack Spicer in Xiaolin Showdown.

Xiaolin Showdown is a better show than anyone gives it credit for :unsmith:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Another interesting one: Nickelodeon asks Nielsen to explain why their ratings have been going down over the past few months. Is it some sort of Nielsen glitch as they claim or do they refuse to believe Disney's gaining on them? Only time will tell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hey Nickelodeon, whatchaadooooin?

We're going to build a hubris generator today!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Gee, I wonder if their ratings would be dropping like this if the new Avatar show had not been delayed. :allears:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

IRQ posted:

Hey Nickelodeon, whatchaadooooin?

We're going to build a hubris generator today!

"Candace, I'm pretty sure Phineas and Ferb aren't affecting Nickelodeon's ratings. Mr. Nielsen probably just miscounted or something."

"But mom, they had the most-watched TV-movie of the year and they've been the #1 animated series in their target demographic for four years running!"

"Sure they have, Candace. Now who wants snacks?"

ETA: Alternatively:

Nickelodeon: "Our ratings are dropping? INEXPLICABLE!"

Disney: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 15, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
About the only things I know about current Nick programming is A) Spongebob is somehow still going despite not being funny since 2003 & B) that one show referenced the "How my hair look?" scene from The Wire.

So... yeah, just gonna go back to watching The Hub or something. Batman Beyond reruns make everything better.

EDIT: Wait, who's Norm in this situation? Noggin, Nicktoons, GaS?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mobo85 posted:

Another interesting one: Nickelodeon asks Nielsen to explain why their ratings have been going down over the past few months. Is it some sort of Nielsen glitch as they claim or do they refuse to believe Disney's gaining on them? Only time will tell.
Maybe their ratings would be better if they didn't show poo poo like the sequel to the Fred movie, which they did on Halloween.

Aside from iCarly and the never-going-to-die Spongebob and Fairly OddParents, I can't name any show currently running on that network. I only watch one show on Disney Channel (Phineas and Ferb) but that's one more than I watch on Nickelodeon. At this point in time, Cartoon Network is probably the king of the children's entertainment ring.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 15, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't Fairly Oddparents put to bed at this point? After the live action movie (which was worse than cancer)?

But aside from iCarly they have some other tween sitcoms and the stuff for super young kids like Dora.

I actually have no idea what Disney runs either other than P&F and at least 1 tween sitcom.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 15, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Maybe Nickelodeon's ratings are going down because it became the Spongebob channel. 24 hours a day, Spongebob. Same thing with Nicktoons Channel. Whenever I watch TV with my nephew and/or my cousins, I turn to the online guide, and right there on the Nick and Nicktoons columns, SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB SPONGEBOB.

I hate watching TV with my nephew/cousins, and I hate Spongebob Squarepants.

raditts posted:

It was hardly among the worst cartoons of its time though, that honor belongs to poo poo like (the fake) Ghostbusters, Slimer! and the Real Ghostbusters (also not to be confused with The Real Ghostbusters), and Tom & Jerry Kids.

Thank you for leaving the actual Real Ghostbusters (minus Slimer!) cartoon out of the equation. That show is historically, mythologically and educationally awesome. Also, kind of hosed up and scary at times, which makes it even more awesome. I can hear the Sandman's voice in my head right now...

But let's not forget that horrendous EXXXTREME Ghostbusters cartoon of the late 90s. it's like they wanted to be as PC as they could get by including everybody, so they added another minority in the mix (the Latino slacker dude), a female Ghostbuster, and a wheelchair-bound paraplegic.

Good god. Look at this poo poo.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 15, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Whatever happened to the live action episode of Flapjack? I remember seeing a picture of a kid dressed up in the outfit and then...nothing. Maybe I just imagined it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Whatever happened to the live action episode of Flapjack? I remember seeing a picture of a kid dressed up in the outfit and then...nothing. Maybe I just imagined it.

It was like 20 seconds of the final episode IIRC

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

You Are A Elf posted:

But let's not forget that horrendous EXXXTREME Ghostbusters cartoon of the late 90s. it's like they wanted to be as PC as they could get by including everybody, so they added another minority in the mix (the Latino slacker dude), a female Ghostbuster, and a wheelchair-bound paraplegic.

Good god. Look at this poo poo.

And yet, the series itself was oddly well written. It's mind-boggling, really.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Cliff Racer posted:

Exactamundo. I think its one redeeming quality is that some of its social commentary was somewhat clever and reasonably accurate. But, I hated, hated, hated the monkey, because there's a definite point at which "quirky and socially oblivious" crosses over into "impossibly socially retarded, profoundly narcissistic, and vaguely psychopathic," and the monkey ran a goddamn touchdown over that line, and then some.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, I didn't mind it at all, despite its obvious cloying attempts to be PC. Many of the ghosts were genuinely interesting, and I enjoyed the animation style.

You are a elf posted:

Spongebob squarepants

This will warm the cockles of your heart, then:
Spongebob Causes Attentional Problems in 4-Year-Olds

God, if Spongebob causes attentional deficits after nine minutes, Johnny Test's promos must cause full-on ADHD.

Pleasant Friend posted:

Oh no you didn't, Care Bears, at least the 80s version, was fine for what it was, if you're going to claim MLP is any good anyway, they're basically the same "kiddie" thing.

Oh, and the original My Little Pony was, for the most part, ulta-garbage, aside from the movies having some cool antagonists. Thanks for reminding me of another one! :)

Care Bears was pretty syrupy, but, yeah, it was also pretty benign--hence why I included it on the "blah, but still better than Johnny Test" list, alongside Bravestarr and He-Man. Like many of its brethren, it meant well, at least.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Street Sharks while I have no doubt is terrible by today standards still has the coolest show concept ever.

This is true. The premise is indeed awesome.

Dialogue and premises were mind-blowingly retarded, though.

I never got into Code Lyoko, myself, but it seemed like it had some redeeming qualities. I've never been able to sit through more than five minutes of MBC without wanting to scream, though.

Oh, and I really enjoyed Xiaolin Showdown :).

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Tartarus Sauce posted:

This will warm the cockles of your heart, then:
Spongebob Causes Attentional Problems in 4-Year-Olds

Hey, given the choice between SpongeBob and Caillou, do you really have much of a choice?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I never got into Code Lyoko, myself, but it seemed like it had some redeeming qualities.

Code Lyoko had a lot of good ideas that were executed poorly. The show dragged on the same formula for too long, and never really changed things up enough to make it worth it. I ended up watching the whole series, and I can't really recommend it to anyone.

To this day, I still measure foreheads in fractions of Lyokos. I have yet to see someone with a full Lyoko.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

404GoonNotFound posted:

That show is a perfect example of a mixed bag. Under a different set of priorities it could have been great, like the original, but it just falls apart under scrutiny.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Magnus Condomus posted:

Code Lyoko had a lot of good ideas that were executed poorly. The show dragged on the same formula for too long, and never really changed things up enough to make it worth it. I ended up watching the whole series, and I can't really recommend it to anyone.

To this day, I still measure foreheads in fractions of Lyokos. I have yet to see someone with a full Lyoko.

Yep, and those were the two reasons I could never get into it---the character designs creeped me out, and it dangled too long in one place, without moving the plot forward.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

mobo85 posted:

Hey, given the choice between SpongeBob and Caillou, do you really have much of a choice?

Rewind to my childhood and the choice is between Mighty Max and Little Bear and like...
gently caress these boring terrible soft cushy kids shows, man.

Fuckin' Little Bear.

Get hosed.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I agree. It was an interesting premise and it made for some cool set ups (zombies, rogue fighter jets, etc), but it always ended the same way. They went into Lyoko, fought some monsters, did the whole deus ex machina thing and everything goes back to the way it was before.

And yes, the character design was atrocious. If it weren't for the whole forehead thing I wouldn't have any issues with it. It crazy how one thing can screw up everything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tartarus Sauce posted:

This is true. The premise is indeed jawesome.

I can't believe nobody corrected you on this.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So apparently Dreamworks pushed out two new How To Train Your Dragon shorts today. I haven't seen them yet, and I don't think they're quite worth the money to buy.

I wonder if they're using these to test the waters for the TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoDDiz5kRU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WRQ2C2UcU

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

raditts posted:

I can't believe nobody corrected you on this.

I can't believe I didn't correct me on this!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Totally Spies
The first few seasons of Totally Spies were way better than they had any right being given the concept. In particular, the music was pretty good.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dude789 posted:

The first few seasons of Totally Spies were way better than they had any right being given the concept. In particular, the music was pretty good.

The weirdest drat thing about Totally Spies was that every single episode seemed to cater to some weird fetish. There was an episode where they were turned into furries, one where they got fat, turned muscular, got inflated, there was one villain whose episode had a lot of weird close-ups of people's feet getting glued to the ground...it's like they decided to mimic the weird sexuality of anime by throwing in as many as possible.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Farbtoner posted:

The weirdest drat thing about Totally Spies was that every single episode seemed to cater to some weird fetish. There was an episode where they were turned into furries, one where they got fat, turned muscular, got inflated, there was one villain whose episode had a lot of weird close-ups of people's feet getting glued to the ground...it's like they decided to mimic the weird sexuality of anime by throwing in as many as possible.

Or, the show was created largely so the animators would have something to fap to--which, given the wafer-thin premise of the show, wouldn't surprise me.

Oh, and apparently this one's by Marathon, too. I must hate the French.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 16, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Or, the show was created largely so the animators would have something to fap to--which, given the wafer-thin premise of the show, wouldn't surprise me.

Oh, and apparently this one's by Marathon, too. I must hate the French.

I can never be mad at Marathon. They made Martin Mystery which was an unapologetic love letter to 50's sci-fi comic books.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Neo Helbeast posted:

I can never be mad at Marathon. They made Martin Mystery which was an unapologetic love letter to 50's sci-fi comic books.

Goddamn Totally Spies and goddamn Martin Mystery were always on Nicktoons when I was younger, filling up precious time that could be used to show Rocko or Hey Arnold.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Farecoal posted:

Goddamn Totally Spies and goddamn Martin Mystery were always on Nicktoons when I was younger, filling up precious time that could be used to show Rocko or Hey Arnold.

You're childhood must have only been a year or two ago, as TS spent most of that decade on WB affiliated channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

You're childhood must have only been a year or two ago, as TS spent most of that decade on WB affiliated channels.

I recall it making GBS threads up afternoons on Cartoon Network back in the early to mid 2000s.