Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Medieval Madness can drop an F-bomb with a setting change.
Does the Hall of Fame port of Medieval Madness have that option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'd never thought I'd see the day...

The only downside is that I'm sure someone who posts in this thread who I'm not friends with probably broke nine figures by now. Still, it's nice seeing my name on top of a scoreboard for once. :)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Feel free to add me. :smug:

My other claims to fame are that I've got the 62nd highest scores for both No Good Gofers and Tales of the Arabian Nights in The Williams Collection.

GT: Merely Whelmed

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
Totally add me for the FX2 group

GT:Arranon

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Almost doubled my previous best in Funhouse with 93,795,060 to bump me up to 106th place.

My score for Arabian Nights is 172,717,830. Forgot to look up my Gofers score, but I think it's in the 231mil range.

Thinking I should probably work on some of my scores in Pinball FX 2 scores soon. My Paranormal score is the only one I can remember standing out. It seems to take a whole lot longer to learn those tables though. There are crazy amounts of targets and modes compared to physical ones.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
There's a pinball documentary on netflix called "Special When Lit". It was ok, it was no fistful of quarters though. Pretty standard documentary focusing on the history, the downfall, campy interviews with pinball players and some more current stuff. I wish they would have shown actual gameplay of the tournament they were following, would have made it loads better.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I'm at the Southern Pinball Festival in Maitland, Fl. Just interviewed Gary Stern. He gave me his business card. I'll post some photos when my photographer gets them up. This place is heaven.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
OK documentary on pinball up on Netflix instant now: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Special_When_Lit_A_Pinball_Documentary/70215221

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JustLikeMe posted:

I know this post is old, but I'm just catching up on the thread and caught this...

MB is a great machine, but many people including myself find that in a home environment it doesn't hold up as well as MM. We've owned MM for just about five years now, and MB for a little under a year, and MM still gets played more. I disagree with people complaining about it being another fan layout (what can I say, I love fan spreads) but I do get the complaints about it being easy. I get to Monster Bash literally every single game, frequently more than once, and I get to Monsters of Rock more often than I don't. In fact, I've achieved Monsters of Rock twice in a single game, and I'm nowhere near the best player around. Getting to Battle for the Kingdom on MM is much much more of an achievement, and in the years we've owned it I've only made it to the mode a couple of times, and I've never completed it. Similarly, there's far more strategy to MM (lighting multiple multiball madnesses before hitting merlins magic, stacking hurry ups for insane points etc) as well as generally more balanced scoring. MM also has some great easter eggs, like Barnyard Multiball - which is a bitch to achieve, but the payoff is great. MB is a great machine, and many people are drawn to it when they first come to play, but most of my friends who've played the machines a fair bit agree that MM draws them back far more due to its comparative depth.

Agreed. MM is incredible not necessarily for its "difficulty", but for its smooth strength curve through all of the important pinball areas: Mode depth, production value, sound, concept, play feel.

To your points above on easter eggs I can add Video Mode which I always find hilarious and has a great payoff, and don't forget the true power player strategy of MM: Light Trolls and a Multiball Madness, then complete trolls during Madness to add Troll Madness to your current stack, which reactivates Multiball and gives a fresh set of balls even if you have drained one.

The "easiness" of MM comes chiefly from the proliferation of Extra Ball opportunities. My usual strategy is: first 2 castles -> light extra ball. Attempt to activate Merlin's Madness without Trolls or Madness lit for a chance at another early Extra Ball. Single Multiball Madness, which allows you to activate more hurry-ups to get to 10 and another extra ball. Video mode gets another. After that you are going for the most efficient path to Royal Madness, which nets another Extra with each pass. Skilled players can keep this going indefinitely.

And yes, Battle for the Kingdom is quite difficult, both to activate and to achieve.

I love MM. It's the table which always keeps me coming back for more.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
FX2 tables are on sale this week

The Marvel, Core, and Classic packs are all half off (400 points). I've been waiting forever for the Marvel pack to go on sale and now I can finally grab it.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

ixnay posted:

FX2 tables are on sale this week

The Marvel, Core, and Classic packs are all half off (400 points). I've been waiting forever for the Marvel pack to go on sale and now I can finally grab it.
It's worth noting that this is for all LIVE members, not just Gold like most sales are.

If I had to choose one pack between classic and Marvel, which one should I get? I'd like to have a table similar to Paranormal since that's my current favorite of the five tables I have right now (PFX 2 Core + Paranormal).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Obeast posted:

If I had to choose one pack between classic and Marvel, which one should I get?

That's a tough call, both packs are pretty good. Personally I think that overall the classic tables are stronger than the Marvel tables, but one or two of the Marvel blow the classic out of the water (and specifically, Blade is among my favorites).

Keep in mind that the classic tables lack a lot of the polish the newer ones have - they are straight ports of the tables from FX1, and that means they have less neat effects and generally feel more like "real" tables, as opposed to the cool pseudo-magical tables you see in FX2. On the flipside, the Marvel pack is full of horrible obnoxious soundclips and bad VA.

Really though, I'd say to grab the trial versions and try 'em out.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a new Pinball Arcade video out :woop:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That's going to be my game of the year, no question.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Wonder if they fixed the harem thing on ToAN?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

That's a tough call, both packs are pretty good. Personally I think that overall the classic tables are stronger than the Marvel tables, but one or two of the Marvel blow the classic out of the water (and specifically, Blade is among my favorites).

Keep in mind that the classic tables lack a lot of the polish the newer ones have - they are straight ports of the tables from FX1, and that means they have less neat effects and generally feel more like "real" tables, as opposed to the cool pseudo-magical tables you see in FX2. On the flipside, the Marvel pack is full of horrible obnoxious soundclips and bad VA.

Really though, I'd say to grab the trial versions and try 'em out.
I remember trying the trials and being mixed about the tables, but the time they give you to try out a table really isn't long enough for me to really "get" a table. Granted, I know they want people to get a taste of each table, but I feel like you don't get enough time to really enjoy it.

Either way, I bought both packs since it gives me a shitload more tables to play and it will help my wizard score a lot. :)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sizone posted:

Wonder if they fixed the harem thing on ToAN?
Did you ever end up getting that? I have a foolproof method:
-- Start up "Sinbad and the Rocs" mode
-- Keep shooting for the loop that leads to the pop bumpers
-- Whatever you do, don't end the mode by hitting the ramps

As long as you keep hitting the pop bumpers, you'll get it before too long.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
For iOS users the Zen Studios app is starting to show up on the App Store (came out in Japan this morning). It's free/universal and comes with their Sorcerer's Lair table for free, with Capt. America and Wolverine available as IAP. Really well done and plays nearly identically to the Xbox 360 versions.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

petewhitley posted:

For iOS users the Zen Studios app is starting to show up on the App Store (came out in Japan this morning). It's free/universal and comes with their Sorcerer's Lair table for free, with Capt. America and Wolverine available as IAP. Really well done and plays nearly identically to the Xbox 360 versions.

Augh, I can not seem to find it. Is it out in the US yet?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Chinook posted:

Augh, I can not seem to find it. Is it out in the US yet?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that; it's showing up on the App Store region-by-region as Wednesday morning hits. So not yet in the US.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It's in the US store now. I never bought Sorcerer's Lair for 360, so I'm pretty happy right now. But I feel like there's a bit of input lag. Hopefully it gets patched, because I'm pretty sure it's not a limitation of the platform.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Boxman posted:

It's in the US store now. I never bought Sorcerer's Lair for 360, so I'm pretty happy right now. But I feel like there's a bit of input lag. Hopefully it gets patched, because I'm pretty sure it's not a limitation of the platform.

Yeah, there's something weird going on with the controls at times. It seems to me like the left flipper has some dead spots in terms of touch sensitivity. Maybe the very left edge of the screen isn't picking up input at times or something. It's still an awesome package though and I happily double-dipped the available tables.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Yuck, the framerate is pretty janky on the iPad 1. This'd be a great title for a retina display iPad 3 though..

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So yeah I just tried out Zen Pinball - Sorcerer's Lair on my iPad2 and it's okay I guess. Controls and sensitivity seem fine and I only saw one small instance of the game hitching up momentarily. My user name is Yodzilla on...whatever service that thing uses for anyone who wants to try and compete.

I think my biggest problem with it though is that the table's graphics are so, so busy and look like absolute poo poo. They really needed to go with cleaner textures as it's hard as gently caress to tell what's going on at times. Honestly I think the table looks a ton better when it goes dark at the end of a game than when it's at full bright during gameplay.

How is the Captain America table? I remember Wolverine being not that great on the PS3. Also I wish I could figure out why they don't just stick to Zen Pinball or Pinball FX for their product names.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So I've spent some more time with Socerers Lair and I'm definitely a big fan of the talble. However there are some problems with the product. Even on the ipad2 it gets real framey during multiball. That's not a huge issue but what happened next is. There are different challenge rooms you can go into on this table and during the cellar one the camera completely freaked the gently caress out and moved away from the action. Besides not being able to see which made me lose the challenge I was also unable to use the flippers for the rest of the game. I don't know what happened but having a really good game end like that is a real buzz kill.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Zen just posted a trailer for the final Marvel: Vengence and Virtue (which I guess is a 'sequel' of sorts to the original Marvel table pack) table based on Thor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOm0QXACl5g

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned this new pack, so this is probably news to a lot of us. The other tables will be based on Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and X-Men, and will cost 800 MSP on the XBLA and $10 on PSN.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Obeast posted:

Zen just posted a trailer for the final Marvel: Vengence and Virtue (which I guess is a 'sequel' of sorts to the original Marvel table pack) table based on Thor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOm0QXACl5g

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned this new pack, so this is probably news to a lot of us. The other tables will be based on Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and X-Men, and will cost 800 MSP on the XBLA and $10 on PSN.

Moon Knight is really oddly over-represented in videogames vs the comics isn't he? (Clearly it means a Moon Knight movie is coming given the rest of the pack).

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010
I didn't think we'd get any more tables this year, figuring Epic Quest was the next one coming. Glad I'll have some new tables to tide me over until then.

Moon Knight table should have been either Hulk or Deadpool. I'm kinda curious if there is some big tie in with a new book or something going on there. I haven't bought comics since Secret Invasion.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Billy Gnosis posted:

Moon Knight is really oddly over-represented in videogames vs the comics isn't he? (Clearly it means a Moon Knight movie is coming given the rest of the pack).

I tend to agree. He was in both the MUA games and now this. One the other hand, Moon Knight was the first title Steve Oliff colored and was one of the first books Bill Sienkiewicz worked on so there's a sort of critical importance to it (art wise, at least) that over shadows the Batman knockoff insignificance of the title. Also, the black on white thing is kind of aestitically striking and makes for good pinball table design fodder, as does any schizophrenia/multiple personality motif. The prevalence of the character in other games is probably owing to the need for melee characters.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
As long as Zen keeps porting tables to the iPad version I'll be happy. Seriously I can't stop playing that thing.

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

I don't have an Xbox 360, and this thread is massive so I'm just gonna ask, what pinball is good on the PC?

The only one on Steam worth a poo poo is Slam-it, and it's buggy to the point of not being worth it - and I don't want to do visual pinball because i want install-and-play.

Recommendations? FX2 makes me want a 360 :I

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

this catte posted:

I don't have an Xbox 360, and this thread is massive so I'm just gonna ask, what pinball is good on the PC?

The only one on Steam worth a poo poo is Slam-it, and it's buggy to the point of not being worth it - and I don't want to do visual pinball because i want install-and-play.

Recommendations? FX2 makes me want a 360 :I
Good Old Games has some older pinball games that are suppose to be pretty good for their age. I haven't played any of them except for Pro Pinball Timeshock (which my brother rented on PlayStation a long time ago), so I dunno which one is the best. But, GOG is nice since their stuff is install-and-play, has no DRM to worry about, and is optimized to work flawlessly on modern PCs. The only downside I can see is that there aren't any online leaderboards if that's something you want.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Obeast posted:

Good Old Games has some older pinball games that are suppose to be pretty good for their age. I haven't played any of them except for Pro Pinball Timeshock (which my brother rented on PlayStation a long time ago), so I dunno which one is the best.
Big Race USA is probably the best digital table ever that isn't derived from an actual, physical machine.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
:w00t:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yodzilla posted:

:w00t:

I really want to like Zen Pinball on the iPad, but it stays zoomed out so it's difficult for me to see detail. I guess you just get used to it...?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well, I like playing zoomed out on tables in general. I've always used that view in virtual pinball games because I like seeing the whole field at once instead of just following the ball or being more cinematic.

I had problems at first with how busy the table looked but you get used to it after a short while. I'm no pinball expert but I think Sorcerer's Lair has some good flow to it and there are a lot of objectives to complete.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Obeast posted:

Good Old Games has some older pinball games that are suppose to be pretty good for their age. I haven't played any of them except for Pro Pinball Timeshock (which my brother rented on PlayStation a long time ago), so I dunno which one is the best. But, GOG is nice since their stuff is install-and-play, has no DRM to worry about, and is optimized to work flawlessly on modern PCs. The only downside I can see is that there aren't any online leaderboards if that's something you want.

Big Race USA is pretty good, but Timeshock is their masterpiece I'd say. Unfortunately, the version they have is the DOS one, which doesn't go up to as high a resolution as the Windows version, which is odd because the disc I bought on release works fine on Windows 7.

I bought the Pinball Gold Pack during a sale when it was like $3 or something. For the price it was pretty good, and I've gotten a ton of play out of it. The physics are generally crummy, but some of the tables are pretty well designed, and if you have a tolerance for their weirdness it's well worth picking up.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 8, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Actually, I heard that the build of DOSbox that comes with the GOG release of Timeshock doesn't go to a certain resolution. There's some specific build that allows selection of the higher resolutions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think I have a problem. :negative:

Captain America is a pretty good table with a few small niggles. The biggest is that the animations and score tallies that happen when you lose a life or start a mission (which happens all the time) take way, way too long and really bust up the flow of the game. It's definitely a solid table though but in my opinion not quite as fun as Sorcerer's Lair.

Wolverine is a lot more basic than either of the other two but that's an older table and it feels like Zen is getting better at this. Plus $4 for all three tables isn't really something I can argue about.

e: oh and it kind of sucks that the new iOS more Android-esque notification system makes programs grind to a halt. it's really bad and i keep thinking the drat thing is about to lock up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Yodzilla posted:

Well, I like playing zoomed out on tables in general. I've always used that view in virtual pinball games because I like seeing the whole field at once instead of just following the ball or being more cinematic.

I'm that way, too. The chase camera and zooming in and out can get too distracting, and I like to make sure I've got an eye on the flippers and drain at all times. Zooming makes the tables look gorgeous in gameplay videos, though.

Can't wait for Theater of Magic. That's an all-day game for me right there.