Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

sellouts posted:

I see this and I love it. But the interior.... Come on.

What about it? It's pretty functional without looking overly busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I dig it too.

Nice gauge layout. Cool aux gauges too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Goddamnit carmakers why the hell do you love blue LEDs so much? That poo poo is seriously painful to see.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, surely you guys saw the renderings of the next Corvette, right?

I like it, but I was hoping for a more radical departure from the current design.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Goddamnit carmakers why the hell do you love blue LEDs so much? That poo poo is seriously painful to see.

VW is seriously the worst, that stupid purple lighting they love so much is god damned awful at night. It's like the went out of their way to pick a color that is most difficult to read in the dark.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CornHolio posted:

I like it, but I was hoping for a more radical departure from the current design.

At least they're going away from that stupid double glazing on the hood.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

It's like GM took the previous Corvette and mixed in a healthy dose of Cadillac and a pinch of Ford GT.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those Camaro taillights are just not doing it for me. I love the hood and the Cadillacy angular rear end though.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

CornHolio posted:

Wow... I know it's a cliche, but it really does look like the C6 and R35 GT-R had a baby. Still, I dig it.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-to-get-350-hp-v6-275-hp-turbo-four

Looks likr the genesis is getting the sonata 2.0t motor after all, and the v6 is getting a big jump in power to match. If they can keep the same price points (25k CAD for the base 2.0) it will help me forget about the ft-86 for a little while.

Well, that may have sealed the deal for me. The only thing that will stop me from buying this car is if an STI or TRD version of the 86 twins is announced. A rwd turbo 6 speed with 271hp/274ft lbs is just right. Maybe a little low on power for its weight, but I can fix that. And it looks good too.

Come on Subaru, show me a pink badge on that trunk.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm all for evolutionary styling, but this seems like they just added a bunch of details on top of the existing shape. If it's real, hopefully it looks better beyond a render.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ive owned two vettes and I dont think Ill even begin thinking of getting a third until I see some interior shots of the new beast.
If GM phoned it in on seats again, Im done.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Don't forget that the last M5 was available with a 6spd manual in the North American market only.

...:psyduck:

because in Europe there's this thing where every cheap lovely hatchback you've ever owned has been a manual transmission so when you can finally afford to lash out a wad of cash on an ultra-deluxe grown up car it had better well shift its own gears considering the money you're paying.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

because in Europe

Jesus Christ you are a terrible poster.

The Camaro is literally the safest car you can buy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/2012-chevrolet-camaro-becomes-first-car-to-ace-all-nhtsa-safety/

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/2012-chevrolet-camaro-becomes-first-car-to-ace-all-nhtsa-safety/

That camaro has the best "Why would you do that to me? I hate you." face on the front from that impact.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

because in Europe there's this thing where every cheap lovely hatchback you've ever owned has been a manual transmission so when you can finally afford to lash out a wad of cash on an ultra-deluxe grown up car it had better well shift its own gears considering the money you're paying.
Nope.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/14/...l-nhtsa-safety/

Is it wrong that I want to sit naked in this interior? It looks so comfy and inviting. And not just for a Camaro. I mean look at that shift knob!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I'll remember that the next time I drive square into an immovable wall at 35mph.

Edit: I applaud the good side impact ratings though. I hear these also have good side impact ratings with similar visibility:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 15, 2011

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So this seems pretty outrageous:
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from the factory

I wonder what the MSRP will be... The current one stickers for $49k.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Hog Obituary posted:

Huh, they really went and ressurected the 5.8l displacement.

Speaking of which, the new Alfa Giullieta which will underpin our neu-Neon looks like it's going to have everything that made the Neon great, like class leading handling and style, but who could forget

quote:

How would you feel about a $30,000-plus luxury car with leather seats, detailed accent stitching, lustrous and expensive metallic paint, a navigation system, Bose audio -- and hand-cranked rear windows?

I wish this car was here yesterday. Never change, Chrysler. :911:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 15, 2011

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Speaking of which, the new [url]Alfa Giullieta http://www.freep.com/article/201109...sn-t-ready-U-S-[/url] which is coming to be the new Neon has also ressurected classic Neon features like the best handling in class, and power windows in the front-hand crank windows in the rear.

That cars biggest flaw is that it's incredibly attractive. This will have to be rectified before it can be sold as a Dodge.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Hog Obituary posted:

So it's doing ZR1 numbers now?

SouthLAnd posted:

That cars biggest flaw is that it's incredibly attractive. This will have to be rectified before it can be sold as a Dodge.

Don't forget about getting rid of that hideous manual transmission too

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

69sofine posted:

Good point. A 4-speed automatic would certainly go quite a ways to making it more palatable to US drivers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

69sofine posted:

That isn't far from the truth - I don't think Alfa has ever done a decent manual transmission (or auto or semi-auto for that matter).

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

dissss posted:

That isn't far from the truth - I don't think Alfa has ever done a decent manual transmission (or auto or semi-auto for that matter).

I was supposed to be test driving a guilietta with their new Fiat-sourced 'TCT' DSG gearbox, but there were 'manufacturing issues' which delayed the car from ever arriving at the delership and I ended up buying something else. From my experiences with 156's, the issues were probably something along the lines of 'it kept falling out of the car and then exploding'

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SouthLAnd posted:

It's also gonna form the basis of whatever replaces the Patroit/Compass. It will, without a doubt, be depressingly ugly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

69sofine posted:

So it's doing ZR1 numbers now?

Powerwise, yes. But weight and especially tire-wise, it's giving up a lot. Video of the latest GT500 going around VIR shows how hard it is to get on power with the limited mechanical grip it has now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Nope.

I'll take your word for it, you'd know better than me. That's just the impression I've been given, speaking to friends and coworkers. It could just be because of where I live and work, most people I know who drive spend most of their driving time stuck in traffic on the M4/M25. Everyone does just fine without luxuries like cruise control and automatics, but they all moan wistfully about driving in America/Canada in a big car with a big engine, cruise and automatic. So it follows (in my mind at least) that if you were going to spend big on a luxury car with a big engine you're also going want an auto and cruise control standard, and even if they were options you'd still tick the boxes because why wouldn't you want cruise control on a £80k car?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Welp, this happened:

Camaro ZL1 by the Numbers: 3.9 Seconds, 184 mph, $54,095

I mean, it's a fair price, and the car is going to be an absolute beast. I think it's still a bit high in comparison to the GT500, which starts at $48k in the States. Gotta say I'm a bit bummed, I was hoping it's come in a bit lower... guess I'm relegated to cross shopping the Camaro SS and the Boss Mustang.

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 15, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I didnt see it happening below 50K with Magnetic Ride suspension and all the goodies.
That is still a hard cut even against the CTS-V dollar wise.

Where this gets fun is what happens with the Corvette now as the C7 draws closer. I can see a lot of people springing for the ZL1 that would normally have went with a Grand Sport. That goes for the Base vette as well as you can deck it out with options and have it up ZL1 cost while not even being close power wise any more.

Had the ZL1 existed when I was shopping vettes I would have probably ended up with one.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Throatwarbler posted:

quote:

How would you feel about a $30,000-plus luxury car with leather seats, detailed accent stitching, lustrous and expensive metallic paint, a navigation system, Bose audio -- and hand-cranked rear windows?

Worked for the European B7 RS 4...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

I'll take your word for it, you'd know better than me. That's just the impression I've been given, speaking to friends and coworkers. It could just be because of where I live and work, most people I know who drive spend most of their driving time stuck in traffic on the M4/M25. Everyone does just fine without luxuries like cruise control and automatics, but they all moan wistfully about driving in America/Canada in a big car with a big engine, cruise and automatic. So it follows (in my mind at least) that if you were going to spend big on a luxury car with a big engine you're also going want an auto and cruise control standard, and even if they were options you'd still tick the boxes because why wouldn't you want cruise control on a £80k car?
Cruise control, yes, but not an auto. In a luxury car, an automatic would be preferred most of the time, but M5s and the like aren't luxury cars, they're big sports saloons. I think people who'd get an automatic M5 would probably be quite happy with a 540i.

Now, DCTs and the like, that's a different kettle of fish. I personally don't see the appeal, but I can also see how they aren't necessarily in direct opposition to the idea of a driver's car.

VVVV: Fastest isn't necessarily more fun.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 15, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ isn't the appeal of DCT's faster shifting and therefore faster everything?

CornHolio posted:

I'm interested and glad it's not a huge departure, and I realize the base model won't be quite so frilly, but does anyone know if those are second windows or just black panels that start after the normal windows? I kind of like the rear window being flat instead of the curved wrap around one because it's tough to wipe at a gas station without streaking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Matlock posted:

What about it? It's pretty functional without looking overly busy.

The giant blue screen looks overly large, it's distractingly bright, and the blue doesn't match the blue on the rest of the gauges.

I just think the whole thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Franco Caution posted:

Where this gets fun is what happens with the Corvette now as the C7 draws closer. I can see a lot of people springing for the ZL1 that would normally have went with a Grand Sport. That goes for the Base vette as well as you can deck it out with options and have it up ZL1 cost while not even being close power wise any more.
Well, there's a big difference between the Camaro and the Corvette: the Corvette doesn't weigh two tons and have the outward visibility of an M1 Abrams.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

I'm down with everything up until the B pillar. Afterwards, it's just awful. Why in god's name would you mess with the wraparound rear glass? What, were the rear passengers complaining? Is it a 2+2 now? Is it just cost-cutting? I mean, hell, now that the Camaro is back, aren't they going to move the pricing up on Corvette? The C pillar makes the rear quarter look fat up top, while completely ruining that clean vertical B-pillar cutline that helped make the C6 look so tidy. The tapered, teardrop greenhouse of the old Corvette almost evoked the top of an LMP car. How it just looks like a smushed Camaro or the R35 GT-R The added rear quarter window and blackout B-pillars also mean that the greenhouse looks sort of jumbled - things don't really flow or anything. The shapes from the door panel lines or the top of the new flat rear window don't really line up with anything. There might be some small gains in terms of structural rigidity, maybe, but the new one better be a hell of a lot faster to make up for the fact that it's uglier.

Somewhere in some GM office, there is a humorless beancounter dancing a jig because they finally got rid of that nasty expensive custom fabricated rear glass and there aren't any remaining executives who actually give a poo poo about cars to give the Corvette a pass on the ever-important GM design guidelines in regards to passenger compartment dimensions and window placement.

The change to the side profile is atrocious. And the Camaro rear lights don't even make sense to me - why the hell would you want to remind people of your cheaper counterpart? Especially with that lame-looking trunk spoiler. The round taillights were pretty unique among modern cars, and also gently caress rectangles. The rear quarter panels in general also look more Camaro-y, especially since the 'scooped' rear-end look carried over from the C5 is now replaced by a more conventional box shape. I hope to god that was done for aero reasons, though I sort of doubt it.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 16, 2011

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
US 500 Abarth!!! :woop: 160 hp, 170 lb-ft, 5-speed manual

I've been waiting for this car for two years and now I'm in a situation where I really shouldn't buy one. :smith:

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 16, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

hedge posted:

US 500 Abarth!!! :woop: 160 hp, 170 lb-ft, 5-speed manual

I'm completely disappointed. I remember hearing a while back that the U.S. was going to get a substantial power increase. I also don't see why such a small engine doesn't have a six-speed gearbox.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oRenj9 posted:

I'm completely disappointed. I remember hearing a while back that the U.S. was going to get a substantial power increase. I also don't see why such a small engine doesn't have a six-speed gearbox.

The standard 500 Abarth has 135hp in Europe, 160hp with the SS pack. You get 160hp standard in the US and probably 180hp with the SS pack. Isn't that a significant power increase?

It has a 5-speed gearbox because Fiat doesn't have a 6-speed gearbox that's small enough to not completely murder the turn radius, yet beefy enough to take the power. Space is VERY limited.

The Multiair engine is has plenty of torque that you won't miss the 6th gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am quite a fan of the new Ford Escape.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/2013-ford-escape-gets-focused-design-ecoboost-power/