Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

Team Buddies

First result for "block stacking army game psx" :)

Dammit I searched pretty much every variation of that and got nothing.

Anyway, thanks. Now to see if I can find/emulate this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Here's an obscure one:

It's a top down racing game with CGA graphics. You drive around this fairly large non-linear track, where you're trying to make the opposition crash and burn by dumping oil in front of them. This oil is also used as fuel, strangely enough, and you therefore have to balance your offensive power with your vehicle's ability to move.
It's been bugging me for years that I cannot remember the name.

Jamizzy99
Jul 4, 2007

Dilb posted:

I think that's Shadows of Cairn. There was a beginning section where you walk around the city and could fight guards, and then a whole ton of instant death traps once you started making actual progress.

You beautiful mother fucker! Thank you so much!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This was back on the PS1..Some female scientist gets turned into some sort of hovering cyborg by a mad scientist and you play as her flying around shooting giant insects or something. I seem to recall it having kind of a depressing ending.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Polaron posted:

This was back on the PS1..Some female scientist gets turned into some sort of hovering cyborg by a mad scientist and you play as her flying around shooting giant insects or something. I seem to recall it having kind of a depressing ending.

This might be Steel Harbinger, maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm thinking of a PC game that I know very little of. It's a WWII strategy game, don't know if it's real time or turn based. I haven't seen a single screenshot but I do know the defining feature is that every soldier is individually named and at the end of a mission you're given a detailed report of the battle. It will say stuff like "Pvt. Smith valiantly fought off 6 Nazis before succumbing to a panzerfaust, etc." It had to have been late 90s, early 2000s.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

al-azad posted:

I'm thinking of a PC game that I know very little of. It's a WWII strategy game, don't know if it's real time or turn based. I haven't seen a single screenshot but I do know the defining feature is that every soldier is individually named and at the end of a mission you're given a detailed report of the battle. It will say stuff like "Pvt. Smith valiantly fought off 6 Nazis before succumbing to a panzerfaust, etc." It had to have been late 90s, early 2000s.

Could it have been Close Combat?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Golbez posted:

Could it have been Close Combat?

This seems to be it. Specifically I believe I remembered the debriefing screen of Close Combat III with the "You're the toast of Moscow!" line.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Panic Restaurant posted:

This might be Steel Harbinger, maybe?

No..It was first person, with the guns that replaced her arms appearing on either side of the screen. Plus, she sort of hovered around in what looked like a red kayak, and had what looked like a set of old virtual reality goggles on her head...I seem to recall her being covered in the colors red and yellow.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The game I'm thinking of is an arcade game from the 80's - I just remember that it was in a no-longer-existing restaurant near where my mum lives. It was top-down and Pacman like, but your character and all of the enemies were disembodied eyeballs (which would blink) in a maze that could shoot each other with ring-shaped lasers. I'm pretty certain that it was further like Pacman in that you just tried to clear as many levels as possible and get the highest score possible.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Polaron posted:

No..It was first person, with the guns that replaced her arms appearing on either side of the screen. Plus, she sort of hovered around in what looked like a red kayak, and had what looked like a set of old virtual reality goggles on her head...I seem to recall her being covered in the colors red and yellow.

I think I know this one. The game I'm thinking of was called Machinehead. Moby Games has it listed as BLAM! Machinehead for the PAL territories, I believe. There's a few screenshots which might be able to jog your memory at the link.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/blam-machinehead

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wamdoodle posted:

I think I know this one. The game I'm thinking of was called Machinehead. Moby Games has it listed as BLAM! Machinehead for the PAL territories, I believe. There's a few screenshots which might be able to jog your memory at the link.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/blam-machinehead

That is IT, thank you! I've been trying to remember that name for YEARS!

Man, that cover is hilarious. I had forgotten her ridiculous cleavage entirely.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

JustJeff88 posted:

The game I'm thinking of is an arcade game from the 80's - I just remember that it was in a no-longer-existing restaurant near where my mum lives. It was top-down and Pacman like, but your character and all of the enemies were disembodied eyeballs (which would blink) in a maze that could shoot each other with ring-shaped lasers. I'm pretty certain that it was further like Pacman in that you just tried to clear as many levels as possible and get the highest score possible.

That's Eyes for sure: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7742

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
I've got one:

PC RTS game set in space. The map i remember was a scaled down solar system with a star and planets in orbit around it. Your main base was a space station that could be tractored around using certain utility ships. you could also tractor asteroids and bring them closer to your base for harvesting. You were playing as humans and your enemies were organic aliens of some sort with their basic unit looking like a 40k spore mine.

game was definitely using 3d graphics. probably late 90s early 2000s

anyone have a clue?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

techknight posted:

That's Eyes for sure: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7742

Indeed it is - I actually found it myself yesterday. I put a few adjectives in Google and I'll be buggered if it wasn't on Wikipedia.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
An amiga/commodore era game. Well known but old. It was black and white or with some green. You played an archer and had to shoot spiders. It was set in a forest. Really low tech but popular at the time. I watched a longplay of it but can't remember its name. Some common name like dark forest.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

temple posted:

An amiga/commodore era game. Well known but old. It was black and white or with some green. You played an archer and had to shoot spiders. It was set in a forest. Really low tech but popular at the time. I watched a longplay of it but can't remember its name. Some common name like dark forest.
Forbidden Forest?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

temple posted:

c64 archer shoot spiders = Forbidden Forest

^^^ oh gently caress you, dude

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
This was an oldish(was probably around 1995 that I played it) PC game.

I didn't understand what the heck was going on because I was like 8 years old but the game had an overworld map you could travel on and I remember there was this one encounter really near to the beginning of the game. The game would change to a 2d side view of your character and some anthropomorphic lizard dude. Said lizard dude would always shoot a fire ball at me and kill me and I had no idea what was up.

There was also this other game that was a PC point and click adventure. It was futuristic and I remember aliens that look like cats and your character grabbing a skull and reciting Hamlet. And at one part there was a puzzle with some space ship wiring and you had to look in the manual for the right sequence.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ashgromnies posted:

This was an oldish(was probably around 1995 that I played it) PC game.

I didn't understand what the heck was going on because I was like 8 years old but the game had an overworld map you could travel on and I remember there was this one encounter really near to the beginning of the game. The game would change to a 2d side view of your character and some anthropomorphic lizard dude. Said lizard dude would always shoot a fire ball at me and kill me and I had no idea what was up.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about and it's come up once already, but drat if I can't remember the name. Stand by.

Found it. Is it Alien Logic: Skyrealms of Jorune?

ashgromnies posted:

There was also this other game that was a PC point and click adventure. It was futuristic and I remember aliens that look like cats and your character grabbing a skull and reciting Hamlet. And at one part there was a puzzle with some space ship wiring and you had to look in the manual for the right sequence.

Try Albion. If not that, it could be either one of the Ringworld games.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 14, 2011

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Thanks on forbidden forest.

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

Totally the opposite of SuperSpecialAwesome
Ok. This is a game I played as a kid. I think it was on the SNES but it could have been on the NES too. It was a platformer. You played as a little guy who spit stars (I think). Afterwards I suspected it was a Kirby game but after trying the SNES Kirby games none of them sparks my memory.

I remember there was a hard boss that looked like a crab or crayfish or something. You fought it in a small cave on a downward slope. It looked like this:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fidde posted:

Ok. This is a game I played as a kid. I think it was on the SNES but it could have been on the NES too. It was a platformer. You played as a little guy who spit stars (I think). Afterwards I suspected it was a Kirby game but after trying the SNES Kirby games none of them sparks my memory.

I remember there was a hard boss that looked like a crab or crayfish or something. You fought it in a small cave on a downward slope. It looked like this:

Adventure Island 2? That looks totally like the second boss. (1:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYqZORKKkQ

Ring any bells?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 14, 2011

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
There was a 3d game where you play as a giant bee and fly around, I think it was for the N64? I think it was sort of a platformer shooter type thing.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Farecoal posted:

There was a 3d game where you play as a giant bee and fly around, I think it was for the N64? I think it was sort of a platformer shooter type thing.

Buck Bumble?

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

scamtank posted:

Adventure Island 2? That looks totally like the second boss. (1:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYqZORKKkQ

Ring any bells?
No. Unfortunately that's not it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Fidde posted:

Mr. Gimmick on the nes. Here's the part with the crab boss.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Fidde posted:

Any chance it could be Cool Spot? The first stage is a beach with a ton of crab-like enemies.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Buck Bumble?

Yup, that's it. Thanks!

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

Mr. Gimmick on the nes. Here's the part with the crab boss.
Yes! That is it. Thanks a lot!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Fidde posted:

Yes! That is it. Thanks a lot!

Wow, you played Gimmick when you were a kid? I'd never even heard of it until a friend pointed me to a YouTube video about it last year.

If you're an NES fan, have a watch to see why it's such a neat game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

Fidde
Aug 3, 2007

techknight posted:

Wow, you played Gimmick when you were a kid? I'd never even heard of it until a friend pointed me to a YouTube video about it last year.

If you're an NES fan, have a watch to see why it's such a neat game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc
Yeah. I happened to live in Scandinavia. And now that I've watched the first video in there I need to play it again!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

techknight posted:

Good Lord.. That thing's made for the NES? Look at that! It's absolutely stunning!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sunsoft had some magical formula to make NES music sound amazing.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ok, this should be an easy one, but I'm drawing a blank. Historical-style RTS where you could train all sorts of different units varying based on what civilization you were playing as. I recall playing it around 2003-2004. I think one of the ways to win was to create wonders of the world?

Nevermind, AOE 2 is it!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

beef express posted:

It couldn't have been War in Middle Earth? That had an overworld map and side scrolling bits, at least on the PC version. There's a whole bunch of Tolkien-inspired games though, that site lists most of them.
That's the one, I think! Thanks, boss.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Can't remember the name but I remember details from it:

It was pc game, possibly made around 2001, centered on the mafia. You played a guy who just got back from the war and his rise to the top of the criminal underground. The game's perspective was a top down view like Sim City and you would take over block after block, build speakeasys, hire assassin's to take out rivals, all that good stuff.

You could then upgrade your gangsters to have better shooting, toughness, armored cars and so forth. A big part of the game was doing drivebys with Tommy guns.

I thought it was made by Maxis but a search didn't help me, and typing in Mafia game just gets me Mafia 1 and 2, which are not it. I thought the game was just called Mafia but apparently that's wrong.

Anyone know?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

crime fighting hog posted:

Anyone know?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/mob-rule

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

That's not it but thanks to that site I was able to find it

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gangsters-2

Holy poo poo, I remember playing this a lot but never got to beat it. Might just have to find a copy. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Here's one I'm struggling to remember. It was an NES shootemup, where your character was a disembodied orange flying head. Probably bald too. Your shots were various body parts (eyeball, jaw, maybe?), and the first level had you moving through a high rise city destroying buildings and helicopters and eating people. I think you had a life bar instead of actual lives, that would restore itself by aforementioned people eating.

Does anyone have any idea what the gently caress because that reads like a drug-addled four year old's nightmare :psyduck:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 16, 2011