Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Two things about Nova:

TK human rocket punch is an overhead and happens just BARELY off the ground so it's tough to distinguish from the regular human rocket punch. When I say barely off the ground I mean it. It comes out so low I thought I missed the TK motion and had to double check the training dummy to make sure he was set to block low. Combine the M or H version with Deadpool's Quick work for a sick unblockable that leads into an easy combo. If Quick Work hits first on small characters Nova will miss them on the followup.

Nova can act REALLY fast after entering flight. So fast in fact that he can cancel flight into a human rocket punch by pressing d db b S L (you don't have to repeat the d db b motion).

edit: gently caress me human rocket punch is always an overhead

Dren fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Really digging the new game. Vergil is addicting as hell and I want to continue the Deadpool tradition (being able to teleport-cancel is as great as it sounds and with proper timing, you can get a quick work in after a grenade toss, but I haven't been able to combo out of a full screen guns with teleport).

I'm trying to figure out some things to do with Iron Fist but I'm not sure how to go about it. This game is hard enough to do when you're still trying to figure out how to play in general, having to come up with your own combos is rough. If anyone can link to some basic Iron Fist shenanigans I would be grateful! Otherwise, I might go back to Ryu again just to have some basic dude on my team.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Here's some basic combos for IF, can't tell you if they're any good though.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lothire posted:

Really digging the new game. Vergil is addicting as hell and I want to continue the Deadpool tradition (being able to teleport-cancel is as great as it sounds and with proper timing, you can get a quick work in after a grenade toss, but I haven't been able to combo out of a full screen guns with teleport).

Comboing out of full screen guns with teleport does work. I only tried it out for a moment but I got it to work like 75% of the time. I successfully went from teleport to L, M, and S.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
The results are in:

GGs to all who played, and congrats to the winners. Things mostly went smoothly, aside from a few technical hiccups and Reckless and I failing to remember that losers finals are 3/5 (oops). See y'all next time!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dren posted:

edit: gently caress me human rocket punch is always an overhead

WHAT?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Brosnan posted:

The results are in:

GGs to all who played, and congrats to the winners. Things mostly went smoothly, aside from a few technical hiccups and Reckless and I failing to remember that losers finals are 3/5 (oops). See y'all next time!

As an addendum to this, I am terrible and lost both of my first two matches.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Good tourney yall. Feels good that my two loses were to second and third placers.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Hooray my first ever tournament win. Makes up for going 1-2 at EVO!

Lessons: X23 secret top tier, Nova owns but I need to learn to fly cancel, Doctor Strange double beam assist is naaasty.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Where the heck was Nidd!!

I wanted to expose your fraudulent Doom!!!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Dren posted:

Comboing out of full screen guns with teleport does work. I only tried it out for a moment but I got it to work like 75% of the time. I successfully went from teleport to L, M, and S.

I suspected it was possible, but all these new characters kept dragging my attention away. Gonna have to work on it!

From the IF video, looks like a good way to go about combos is to do "something" and tack on a qcf+medium (rekka? don't really know what that means) for the crumple state into chi stance, then something to finish it with. He looks so drat cool, I hope I can figure him out. His lack of air mobility scares me a bit.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Rekka means a repeat command, like dante was before ultimate. It's name is from Shen-Long from SF I think.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Yeah, they're named after Fei Long's Rekkaken move(s).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Tetrakarn posted:

Rekka means a repeat command, like dante was before ultimate. It's name is from Shen-Long from SF I think.

Fei Long. Shen Long was an old mistranslation of shoryuken and a rumor that basically turned into Gouken. :spergin:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Medullah posted:

And I assume those who had them before get them again?

Yeah, though you may have to download them again (I did).

Brosnan posted:

The results are in:

Congratulations! :toot: I was on the fence on getting UMvC3 for a little while but I was glad I did: I had a great time and I don't think I embarrassed myself too much.

Look forward to playing more of you. :D

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Brosnan posted:

The results are in:

'Grats to the winners, though it would be cool if someone could post the teams they were using.

Have to wait till Saturday to pick up UMvC3 but it's looking to be worth the wait.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This might be stupid, but I always find the hardest part of these games is picking and sticking with a team. I love this game, even though I am buttnasty terrible at it, and that is because I never focus on practicing with one set of guys, every day I will swap dudes a bunch so at the end of every day I have a completely new team, and I never get anywhere much beyond mashing.

So I am curious, how do you decide what guys to play? Do you try to find the guy who best fits you, or do you pick ones you like and teach yourself to fit him?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Definitely the former.

Just try out characters until you find one that really fits your playstyle. It'll surprise you (I never expected to main El Fuerte in SSF4).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You pick characters that have an appealing playstyle and are usable (not in that order). If you really like a character but they suck no matter how much work you put into them, you should pass them over.

On the flip side, if there are characters that are really good that you can't stand playing, you shouldn't have to force yourself to play them. (But really, who can't stand winning most of the time?)

Luckily, most of the cast of (U)MVC3 are viable characters, so you should be all set picking characters you like.

Unless it's Hsien-ko.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

Lessons: X23 secret top tier, Nova owns but I need to learn to fly cancel, Doctor Strange double beam assist is naaasty.

Man it's way more this than anything else, Reckless and I were both raging over that poo poo. Stays on screen for*ever*, stupid easy to confirm into combo, hard to punish. It's just gross.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its kinda amazing how small changes to old characters make me wanna start using them. loving around with Viewtiful Joe was awesome because of his new dodge, and Ryu because of his new silly fireballs. I was all set to basically just replace one guy on my team but now feel like just starting totally from scratch.

Its gonna be a grand adventure

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sex Vicar posted:

'Grats to the winners, though it would be cool if someone could post the teams they were using.

I think we neglected to record this for the most part, but the PS3 top three was:

cams - X-23, Nova, Dr. Strange
Brosnan - Jill, Akuma, Strider
Reckless. - Wesker, Hawkeye, Spencer

Edit: I also just realized cams and I should've played 3/5 as well. Durr.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 16, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Any Viper players around?

Yeah she was actually pretty good in vanilla, but between no DHC and magneto existing why would you pick her. Now that DHC glitch is gone and she has VIPER BEAM, she is a better pick then before.

Common misconception with Viper was that she needed meter to do damage, when you could do 2 loops of the box meterless into super for 720k,(+2.5meter-1meter). If you had any Xfactor 1mil+ combos were no problem just do a 3rd box rep and it will break a million no sweet. Though having meter was great because then you could turn a random A2A confirm into EX burn kick,box loop,blah blah super. But even then it was a -1meter+2meter-1 meter scenario.

A weird thing you had to learn with her though was that super jump forward 2 dash j.L was way way faster then super jump 3dash j.L.

I was running Strange,Viper,Raccoon for the 30minutes I got to touch the game today worked out pretty well, still not sure what I'm doing with Raccoon.

Also gently caress the new captain america one guy here played captain america in vanilla but it really wasn't that scary, well now he is. That OTG shield makes a world of difference.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 16, 2011

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

Man it's way more this than anything else, Reckless and I were both raging over that poo poo. Stays on screen for*ever*, stupid easy to confirm into combo, hard to punish. It's just gross.

Can't most characters duck it?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Can't most characters duck it?

I imagine some could, but then you'd just eat the ensuing jump-in from the point char.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yeah she was actually pretty good in vanilla, but between no DHC and magneto existing why would you pick her.

I played her in vanilla. My team was Magneto, Viper, Iron Man. She's fast, and just a lot of fun to play, so I guess that's why I chose her.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
GGs to everyone I played in the tournament. Ended up winning more than losing and had a ton of fun despite some weird lag issues popping up every now and then.

The game is a lot more fun to me personally, only questionable thing I've seen so far is some Wesker poo poo and I can't complain since I use him now. The simple change of making air Delta Kick ground bounce pumps up Felicia quite a bit. I honestly think not removing her xfactor infinites or her sick assist puts her in the top half of characters and expect the "pros" to start using her if they don't already.

Vergil has some holes in his game I wasn't expecting but he still seems pretty beast.

Gonna try to somehow cram both Chris and Ryu into my alt team now.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Sex Vicar posted:

Have to wait till Saturday to pick up UMvC3 but it's looking to be worth the wait.

I used Hawkeye/Wright/Ryu. Didn't get to land an Objection though. :(
Not sure who 1st and 2nd place used during finals.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Oh poo poo Strange's pool balls stay on screen even when hes tagged out! I totally didnt think Id wanna use him but the more I mess with his moves the more I like him. gently caress you Hawkeye, I found my shooty guy.

bryan - GT broyan
Apr 5, 2009
PS3 tourney was loads of fun, grats to the winners, I don't feel so bad about being put into losers in the first round anymore!

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Jeez Nemesis just feels so good, all his moves look great and feel like they pack a punch. Maximillian wasn't kidding when he said he might be a reset king, his throw have crazy range and a few of his move leave the opponent recovering in the air, and the combos that leave them there do good meterless damage.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

WHAT?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

They aren't overheads, even when TKed or done in the air. Don't listen to this person.

Some nova crap.

Super jump air dash down forward and hit M. Depending on your timing you'll either get an overhead or land without doing it

Bread and butter: 2m/m 2h/h s jh js 6h h s jm jm jh (236l or m if you don't have red life to burn) super. This leads to an easy 700k, I'm pretty sure it'll work anywhere on screen as well.

The same combo, for a very little bit more damage goes like this 2m/m 2h/h s jh 214s jh js 6h h s jm jm jh (236l or m if you don't have red life to burn) super. The extra amount of damage isn't worth it tho.

I'm working on throw combos now. I'll post what I come up with later.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 16, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
From what little I was able to play tonight, Nemesis seems like a freaking beast. He's definitely my favorite character of the ones I've tried by far.

And I really really really really REALLY wanted to like Phoenix Wright but he just seems irredeemably terrible. :( Even if you somehow manage to get all 3 pieces of evidence, good luck landing an objection without voodoo magic!

Also a question: What the hell is up with Raccoon's air normals? His j.M has the weirdest loving properties of any move I've ever seen in this game. You pretty much can't use his j.M in a combo, right?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Rokstar posted:

And I really really really really REALLY wanted to like Phoenix Wright but he just seems irredeemably terrible. :( Even if you somehow manage to get all 3 pieces of evidence, good luck landing an objection without voodoo magic!

Good, Phoenix Wright is an awful gameplay design and should stay at bottom tier forever. Him and Phoenix should never, ever, ever be good. At all.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Waterbed posted:

Good, Phoenix Wright is an awful gameplay design and should stay at bottom tier forever. Him and Phoenix should never, ever, ever be good. At all.
What's even sadder is that people like you are the reason why I wanted him to be good. :sigh:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

The Rokstar posted:

Also a question: What the hell is up with Raccoon's air normals? His j.M has the weirdest loving properties of any move I've ever seen in this game. You pretty much can't use his j.M in a combo, right?

Go do his trials, every one omits jump M. Even the developers didn't know what to do with it, but it does open up your movement a bit. You only get 1 rocket skates going into the air and 1 rocket skates in the air but you can get mini dash out of M in between. It's still pretty useless though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Rokstar posted:

What's even sadder is that people like you are the reason why I wanted him to be good. :sigh:

Sorry for valuing the health of a game over wackiness.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah, gently caress normal people. I get what it is to be in the fighting game community. :downs:

Anyway, I'm having the same experience most people are having with Dr. Strange. A lot more fun than I expected him to be. Still can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with Nemesis since I'm trying to treat him like Sentinel 2.0, which is a retarded thing to do.

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 16, 2011

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alright, so I had the Collector's Edition of vanilla and got Jill and Shuma. My harddrive on my 360 recently took a poo poo so I've been playing via flash drive and I guess that download isn't on it so they don't appear. The thing is that download isn't in the download section for either game on the marketplace. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Liku posted:

Alright, so I had the Collector's Edition of vanilla and got Jill and Shuma. My harddrive on my 360 recently took a poo poo so I've been playing via flash drive and I guess that download isn't on it so they don't appear. The thing is that download isn't in the download section for either game on the marketplace. Ideas?

Account settings > Download history

• Locked thread