Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Probably just someone putting in common lingo. I change mine on the drz every 1000 miles. There are nuts that ride actual dirt bikes that change their oil every single time they ride no matter what. Makes changing your oil every 350 miles or something look a lot more sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ffubalo bill posted:

http://i.imgur.com/1e10C.jpg

Bought this last Friday. It only has 100 miles on it. After I bought it I drove it to the gas station and topped off the tank. When I was driving it home it died 1 mile away from where I gassed it up. Called the guy I bought it from and he picked me and the bike up and took it to the shop and gave me a ride home. The shop said they emptied the gas tank and cleaned the carbs. It ran fine for the 20 minute drive home and then I topped off the tank again. Then the same drat thing happened and it died 1 mile from my house. This morning it runs just fine. I let it idle for 10 minutes, drove it about a half mile around my house and it runs just fine. Not sure what the hell is going on with it.

edit: Shop says they think I might be vaporlocking it up by topping it off. Told me to ride it today and see how it goes.

Does it start right back up after dying?

If it does not: Open the cap, close it, try starting. If it fires right up from that it is probably vaporlock.

I don't know how that tank inhales, but mine has a convoluted series of tubes in the gas cap with a one-way valve that likes to become a no-way valve. The solution to mine is to remove it, as this POS will spill gas in an accident no matter what.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Check the vacuum line going to the petcock too. Mine was pinched due to having a larger Clarke tank and caused stalling issues when i first had it until I rerouted it properly.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JP Money posted:

Probably just someone putting in common lingo. I change mine on the drz every 1000 miles. There are nuts that ride actual dirt bikes that change their oil every single time they ride no matter what. Makes changing your oil every 350 miles or something look a lot more sane.

Race dirtbikes and sumos have their maintenance interval measured in hours with a new piston ever 40 or so of those, so it is not inconcievable that one would chain their oil regularly on those things.

PS don't buy a bike which has hourly maintenance intervals.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I really can't afford it, but I might do it anyways.

What is this thread's thought about this?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2697235442.html

I really like the way Yamaha dirtbikes look, that seems like a decent price, and 40+hp with 260lbs seems a fair bit better than a DRZ

Are these bikes reliable for day to day commuting? I know the WR is more enduro-minded than the YZ, but I'm not sure if that translates in to maintainence

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Race dirtbikes and sumos have their maintenance interval measured in hours with a new piston ever 40 or so of those, so it is not inconcievable that one would chain their oil regularly on those things.

PS don't buy a bike which has hourly maintenance intervals.

All the best ones will have those kind of intervals unfortunately. The SXV is amazing, but it's not what typical street-type riders are used to dealing with. To me, I came from 2-stroke dirt bikes which needed rebuilt every once in a while anyways so it doesn't look so bad. You definitely pay for that high-performance though. Leads me to not recommend CRF's and stuff for supermotos since no one wants to be wrenching on valves and such every other month or something when they could be riding.

I'll be damned if converted MX race bikes don't make DRZ's and such look like no fun though :(

ffubalo bill
Jun 22, 2005

mmmmmmm, savor flavor
Grimey Drawer
Just took it for a 2 hour ride and had no problems. Looks like the shop was right. I will have to be careful to not over fill it. Took it over a curb and found a few trails. Getting the drz is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Do not under any circumstances ride a Euro bike / converted MX bike. The extra 20hp and loss of 50-70 pounds is nuts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Korwen posted:

I really can't afford it, but I might do it anyways.

What is this thread's thought about this?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2697235442.html

I really like the way Yamaha dirtbikes look, that seems like a decent price, and 40+hp with 260lbs seems a fair bit better than a DRZ

Are these bikes reliable for day to day commuting? I know the WR is more enduro-minded than the YZ, but I'm not sure if that translates in to maintainence

It does but it's still gonna be more maintenance intensive than a DRZ or similar such. I wouldn't want a 450 for anything but dedicated supermoto, offroad it's gonna be a monster of a first bike, and on road it's gonna be amazing but it's also gonna require quite a bit of maintenance.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

JP Money posted:

I'll be damned if converted MX race bikes don't make DRZ's and such look like no fun though :(

Druggy proverb: Once you go crack you never go back.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

One nice thing about bikes with maintenance measured in hours is that everything is easy. Oil takes 10 minutes, valves took me 45 minutes last time but that was the first time doing them.

Keep in mind also the ridiculous 4 hour oil, 6 hour valve checks is for racing. For street riding I change my oil every 10-12 hours and valves every 20. Sure it is a bit more work but drat it's a fun bike.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
How many pistons have you gone through already? ;)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

I always hate this comparison.

My converted race bike is crazier than that box stock street oriented bike.

Well no poo poo.

DRZADL Assemble!!!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KARMA! posted:

How many pistons have you gone through already? ;)
Still on the original one.

While the CRF is stupidly fun I do miss the DRZ at times. No need to check the hour meter and the magic electric start button was nice.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I always hate this comparison.

My converted race bike is crazier than that box stock street oriented bike.

Well no poo poo.

DRZADL Assemble!!!

Why do you hate this comparison? Even a modified drz isn't really as good at hooligan-ism supermoto poo poo as a converted CRF or WR. They're like 50 pounds lighter and have a different power curve / feel.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

JP Money posted:

Why do you hate this comparison? Even a modified drz isn't really as good at hooligan-ism supermoto poo poo as a converted CRF or WR. They're like 50 pounds lighter and have a different power curve / feel.

maybe because they are so far different that it is really not fair to compare them.
i have a klr and kx 250 and i have people ask me why i have the kx when i already have a "dirt bike''. they have no idea that there is no comparison between the two.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

Because its still apples and oranges. They're designed for different things.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

JP Money posted:

I almost prefer the power of the DRZ for riding like a dumbass, especially if I could get it in the weight of a MX bike. The DRZ I never worried about looping or sliding out, the power was mild and super controllable...the CRF has scared me a few times because it just has so much torque and power everywhere.

Now for track use...MX bike all the way the ridiculous power and light weight are wonderful.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Riding a street legal "racebike" like the Husky on the track and sliding around/riding off the edge of your tires/grinding your teeth trying to keep up with converted MX'ers as they pull away easily really makes the difference pretty clear.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Riding a street legal "racebike" like the Husky on the track and sliding around/riding off the edge of your tires/grinding your teeth trying to keep up with converted MX'ers as they pull away easily really makes the difference pretty clear.

This is my point. Even the "race"-oriented street bikes just don't have that brutal power that MX'ers have. It's pretty shocking to get on a crf450 or similar and hit the gas in 4th gear and feel the front lift. On a DRZ you're loving lucky when that happens really low in 2nd.

That doesn't make them better street bikes though, that's definitely true. Just makes them crazier to ride and imo more "fun" in the sense of going fast and hooning around on a super-light bike.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Here goons, enjoy a crappy test video in crappy weather of the WR250.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNSV81Pgrs

You even get to catch a glimpse of ~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

You call that hoonin'!?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

You call that hoonin'!?

I don't know how to hoon yet :( Explain to me how to clutch up a wheelie, it seems like when most people do it it's smooth, but the times that I've tried it just jerks really hard. Am I supposed to slip the clutch or dump it? Also, I'm too fat for power wheelies on the 250, unless I'm doing that wrong too :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dump it. Gotta jerk it up hard. Especially on the WR. Try it in second gear, if that doesn't work, try first gear.

Get the bike rolling in second, clutch in, pin the throttle, dump the clutch. Don't recommend this on anything that's not an anemic little 250 though. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Dump it. Gotta jerk it up hard. Especially on the WR. Try it in second gear, if that doesn't work, try first gear.

Get the bike rolling in second, clutch in, pin the throttle, dump the clutch. Don't recommend this on anything that's not an anemic little 250 though. :v:

And that won't run me the risk of stripping gears or killing my clutch, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

And that won't run me the risk of stripping gears or killing my clutch, right?

Nope, just don't do it over and over and over and over and over. If you did it like a hundred times in a row you might be able to glaze the clutch plates but I doubt it, dirt bike clutches take a shitload of abuse.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awesome, gunna try it next time I ride. I got the front to come up like 1 inch in first by rolling off then on again abruptly and sitting as far back as I possibly can.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ANYTHING can be wheelied. You should be able to clutch it up easily. Either that or sit back on the seat and whack the throttle open in first. Either way, it'll come up

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Don't feel bad, I'm skittish as gently caress to wheelie... but I let my brother (me +60lbs) on and he rocks a 4-gear wheelie down the road, so yeah, its just lack of wanting it enough :negative:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SaNChEzZ posted:

I wanted a WR250R badly. Then the reality of Guam pricing hit me. 9 grand for a 2011. gently caress that :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Track day yesterday confirms it...CRF450R supermotos are stupid fun.

Private track day at little tally with 7 people per group, I got put in novice so I practiced passing. Was topping out at 115 on the back straight versus 102 on the DRZ two years ago. Had a lot of fun playing with the sportbikes on the track.

Gopro decided to record one of the three session I used it, that session it was aimed too far down so all you see is tank and upper triple (chesty mount). Need to find a tighter track to play on.

It was a lot of fun to finally be able to open it up and see what the bike can do. Impressed the hell out of me and is far far more capable than I am.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

This, but keep your god drat foot over the rear brake in case you start to loop. I had to learn this one the hard way, twice.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I guess this is sort of a general motorcycle question, but anyway:

I'm facing the probability of not having a winter storage location for my bike this year and having to keep it outside all winter. I can buy any number of tarps and covers and such, but is there anything I should REALLY look for? I'm in an apartment, so a shed is out of the question. The bike is a DRZ400SM if that makes any difference.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

robotsinmyhead posted:

I guess this is sort of a general motorcycle question, but anyway:

I'm facing the probability of not having a winter storage location for my bike this year and having to keep it outside all winter. I can buy any number of tarps and covers and such, but is there anything I should REALLY look for? I'm in an apartment, so a shed is out of the question. The bike is a DRZ400SM if that makes any difference.

You got a living room right?

2nd floor apt.

But I guess if you really have to keep it outside, Sta-Bil in a full tank of gas, battery hooked up to tender, GOOD waterproof cover, raise it off the ground so tires are off, and maybe some some sort of antifreeze in the radiator, replace with proper coolant come spring. I actually have no idea what kind of coolant is in there stock.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

pr0zac posted:

This, but keep your god drat foot over the rear brake in case you start to loop. I had to learn this one the hard way, twice.

The only problem I have with this "cover the rear brake" mentality is that unless you actually practice stopping wheelies with the rear brake, you will not have the muscle memory to use the rear brake in an emergency. Your foot may be covering the pedal but you'll still think "OH poo poo!" and just chop the throttle and maybe try to lean forward or some dumb poo poo. You really need to cement the idea that REAR BRAKE = STOP WHEELIE to your right foot. I suggest positive reinforcement with candy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you're going to leave it in an apartment or other dwelling, just pinch the gas line off with a pair of vice grips, and run the carb dry. You'll ruin the gas line and have to replace it in the spring, but its better than a float deciding to give up at the wrong time. Raw gas fumes take forever to get out of carpet and furniture.

Ask me how I know :smith:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Why couldn't you just turn off the petcock and run the bike dry or, in the case of a vacuum petcock, remove the tank? Seems unnecessary to ruin your fuel line.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If you're going to leave it in an apartment or other dwelling, just pinch the gas line off with a pair of vice grips, and run the carb dry. You'll ruin the gas line and have to replace it in the spring, but its better than a float deciding to give up at the wrong time. Raw gas fumes take forever to get out of carpet and furniture.

Ask me how I know :smith:

You know there's a screw on your carb to drain gas out of right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Why couldn't you just turn off the petcock and run the bike dry or, in the case of a vacuum petcock, remove the tank? Seems unnecessary to ruin your fuel line.

You can, but in my experience almost no petcock keeps gas sealed completely for months on end. They often have slow drips, slow enough that you dont notice it when the tank is off for a few hours or when you're riding the bike regularly.

JP Money posted:

You know there's a screw on your carb to drain gas out of right?

Yep. You know most carbs out there dont have a drain line, or they do but its over the frame and makes a splashy mess, or its pinched off, or any number of other things, right?

Those both apply doubly if the bike is older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You're right, those are clearly unsolvable problems and require ruining a gas line which then needs to be replaced before you can ride next year. My mistake.

• Locked thread