Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Raimundus posted:

Did he lose part of his eyebrow, there?

It's a shame he had those tattoos to begin with.

I think since the tattoo went though his eyebrow, they had to shave it off and now that they've lasered the area, the hair won't grow back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

utada posted:

I think since the tattoo went though his eyebrow, they had to shave it off and now that they've lasered the area, the hair won't grow back.

A small price to pay.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I like how the last step before full recovery is Greaser.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The part that makes me choke up a bit is his eyes. Look at how dead and crushed his eyes are in all the before pics, now look at the after. Yeah, those are the eyes of a man that won his soul back. He finally sees himself as a good person.

Plus yeah, he really really looks just like Tony Slattery, and anyone who knows what he went through by watching The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive knows he has that look in his eyes now too.

I guess I just think cute brunette guys with newfound confidence and self respect are touching.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

beato posted:

He's turned his life around now and is currently studying at Greendale Community College.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

From a Chicago Tribune interview with the photographer, Bruce Davidson:

quote:

Q. There were 42 images added to this edition of the book. Tell me about your favorites.

A. [...] In the New York subway, the robbery picture you see in the book, that was made on the No. 1 train from 72nd Street to Times Square. That picture was made during the week, and the robber knew he had two or three minutes from the express stop between 72nd and Times Square to commit a crime.

Q. This is the much-talked-about photo, on Page 91, with a man in a red jacket holding a gun up to someone's head . . .

A. New York magazine called me, and they were doing a story on a series of subway undercover detectives, who dressed themselves and behaved in certain ways to entice muggers.

And one detective was dressed as a rabbi with a beard, and he wore a gold chain. Of course, rabbis don't wear chains, but the robber probably didn't know that. I volunteered, since I had been mugged previously when I was alone. . . . I volunteered to be a decoy so, I acted in such a way to get mugged. Now, I always had my camera out around my neck when I took pictures because I can't just hide the camera and then approach people. It has to be out there, in the open. I took a subway map out and pretended I was lost.

The robber came into the car, robbed the sleeping rabbi/detective -- took his chain right off his neck -- and came towards me at the end of the car. He said, "Give me that camera!" And just at that moment, I lifted my camera and photographed him. And as I photographed him, [the detective] Billie moved in with the .38 and arrested him, so it was a simultaneous thing. One frame.

Q. So what we're seeing, the gentleman in red is actually a police officer.

A. Yeah, he's an undercover. And you see, he's sitting there in the middle of the train with a boombox and dark glasses in that kind of hip-hop clothing, and the robber [thinks], "Oh, I got a brother. He's going to help me. He's not going to say anything." And that was his fatal error.

The group was disbanded after awhile because the bait was too good. Sometimes the cops looked so good, I was going to rob them myself.

Q. What happened afterward? Are there other images from the incident?

A. He was arrested, and I felt sorry for him. As soon as he robbed me, they took him out and cuffed him. They took him right off the train at 42nd Street.

Then, I felt I couldn't photograph him being arrested at that moment. I didn't feel comfortable doing that, because he was cuffed and helpless.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Despite being ex-military, I'm not a huge war buff or anything but I do love me some planes.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Philip J Fry posted:

Despite being ex-military, I'm not a huge war buff or anything but I do love me some planes.

Are there any civilian jet aircraft on the market and how do I get one?

Jigg
Jul 6, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

F16 Falcon, P51 Mustang, A10 Warthog, and F15 Eagle, yes?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Raimundus posted:

Don't bother, I already called and they won't give you the A-10 with the gun. Not even if you're just planning to fire blanks.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
But I wanted the Raptor.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

redmercer posted:

Don't bother, I already called and they won't give you the A-10 with the gun. Not even if you're just planning to fire blanks.

There's a couple dozen A-10's in storage at the boneyard in Arizona, they don't loving need them. Besides, I hear there's an airsoft version of the GAU-8 coming out. Call them back.

The weapon being discussed. Tests with the Beetle resulted in poor handling, with rapid reverse skidding during firing, so they went with the plane.

And here's what it does. Those poor, poor tanks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCqXbfGEPMI

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
It might seem like a 30mm round wouldn't do much to a modern tank, but
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k
when you can hit that tank about 30 times a second, that changes things (the gun fires about 60-70 rounds per second but obviously not all of them hit dead on). It is accurate as hell, with each round only dropping around 10 feet in its optimal 4 kilometer firing range.

Also the rounds penetrate armor /or/ explode on impact. :psyduck:

I always have held the belief that the A-10 is the most cost-effective and battle-hardy plane the AF fields.

Mr. Samuel Shitley has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Nov 15, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Erebus posted:

From a Chicago Tribune interview with the photographer, Bruce Davidson:

That's some great trigger discipline there officer.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Philip J Fry posted:

How slow did they have to go to get an A-10, a P-51 and two high-speed jets into formation? :psyduck:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dirp posted:

That's some great trigger discipline there officer.

He's actually threatening the dude with the gun. Don't you suppose to put your finger for that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Polaron posted:

How slow did they have to go to get an A-10, a P-51 and two high-speed jets into formation? :psyduck:

Jet fighters can fly at 150 knots, although their pilots might get bored. The P51 cruises at about 300 knots, so it wouldn't require any unusual moves to fly in formation like that.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Dusseldorf posted:

He's actually threatening the dude with the gun. Don't you suppose to put your finger for that.

You only put your finger on a trigger when you are ready to pull it. This is how accidentle shootings occur.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

You only put your finger on a trigger when you are ready to pull it. This is how accidentle shootings occur.

He looks pretty goddamn ready to pull it. What do the rules of gun safety say about holding a revolver to someone's temple?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Jigg posted:

F16 Falcon, P51 Mustang, A10 Warthog, and F15 Eagle, yes?

Correctamundo. All icons.

Dusseldorf posted:

He looks pretty goddamn ready to pull it. What do the rules of gun safety say about holding a revolver to someone's temple?

Back in 1970's when that pic was taken...probably a little less than what they say today. Especially when referenced against 70's TV cop shows.

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.

Dusseldorf posted:

"Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire."

The hammer is down in the picture which means a double action pull will be needed. For those who don't know what that means its basically a heavier trigger pull. In other words you have to exert more pressure to pull the trigger to cycle the gun. In single action mode (Hammer cocked back) the trigger pull weight will be significantly less and could more easily be fired. I read somewhere online about old cops who are used to drawing their heavy pull revolvers readying their finger on the trigger ending up shooting themselves in the leg when the department switched over to glocks.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DrCornelius posted:

I'm a big Rossi fanboy and it was amazing that it worked out but I think he just was on the brakes too late for that corner vs. actually trying that line. Not trying to take away anything from his achievements because he is an absolute beast. I hope that he can be competitive next year with his Duc :(

And as for Isle of Man, those guys are absolutely insane. I struggle to think of a crazier form of motorsport, but honestly I can't think of one. Maybe a tie with Dakar.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

PovRayMan posted:

I read somewhere online about old cops who are used to drawing their heavy pull revolvers readying their finger on the trigger ending up shooting themselves in the leg when the department switched over to glocks.

I take it that revolvers don't have a safety-catch either?

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Livingston posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at here? A suicide? A photoshop?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dreesemonkey posted:

And as for Isle of Man, those guys are absolutely insane. I struggle to think of a crazier form of motorsport, but honestly I can't think of one. Maybe a tie with Dakar.

Offroad motorcycle racing is pretty cool.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hazzamon posted:

I take it that revolvers don't have a safety-catch either?

There could always be some weird-rear end obscure revolver out there with a safety but no, revolvers don't have safeties.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

Trent posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at here? A suicide? A photoshop?

I believe that's called a :sicknasty:

The photographer says annoyingly little about any of his shots ever, but considering his other work, I'd say it's a photoshop.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Raimundus posted:

Money, http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I knew there were some civvie ex-Russian jet fighters out there. God that would be so bad-rear end.

Too bad Pepsi shot down that kid in court that tried to buy the Harrier with $700k in Pepsi points.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

The Czech L-39 jet trainer is a popular civilian model. Since a number of pilots with little jet experience and big egos bought them and promptly converted themselves to a pink mist, you now have to have 1000 flight hours logged before you can get rated for a private miljet.

It's always fun to window shop Trade-A-Plane/Chopper Shopper. Here's a supersonic Mig-21. Only $95K!

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/Jet/1967/Mikoyan/MIG+21U/1280852.html

Badass pic from this week's Air Force News: C5A Super Galaxy delivers a tank. :psyduck:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I was really hoping the Javelin would get mass produced and by time it was I could afford it...

Its a civilian jet designed to look like a fighter, I think it was supposed to fly just barely under the sound barrier. Only 2 seats so not really that economical... But it'd be fun. Unfortunately they declared bankruptcy and it will never be made. Now I want a Honda Jet when I get rich somehow.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
this is pretty crazy.

Fire in Reno, NV from last night.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Schindler's Fist posted:

The Czech L-39 jet trainer is a popular civilian model. Since a number of pilots with little jet experience and big egos bought them and promptly converted themselves to a pink mist, you now have to have 1000 flight hours logged before you can get rated for a private miljet.

There's a pretty bad-rear end story regarding this jet on wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

26 September 1986 Mihai Smighelschi, a 21-year old student of the Romanian Air Force Academy, used an L-39ZA Albatros training plane to run to Turkey and request political asylum. His plane was later recovered and onboard data recorders showed that he had flown no higher than 150 meters above ground at 700 km/h to evade radar detection. Smighelschi had less than 100 hours at the time, including high-school glider training, and less than 3 hours on the L-39ZA. Without satellite navigation or indeed any maps, he navigated a mentally recorded straight line over Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey using only ground marks and the memory of a map of Europe he had access to at the Academy. He eventually landed in Kirklareli, Turkey, on a street near a group of jeeps that seemed to have American insignia, breaking the front wheel and the nose of the plane.

:aaa: Now that's an escape with style.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Nickel nanotube lattice, apparently 1/100 the weight of an equally sized block of EPS foam ("Styrofoam").

Finally, a jaunty cap to keep those fuzzies in place! :3:

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Nickel nanotube lattice, apparently 1/100 the weight of an equally sized block of EPS foam ("Styrofoam").

Finally, a jaunty cap to keep those fuzzies in place! :3:

What are the applications of this lightweight lattice-work?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

protobyss posted:

What are the applications of this lightweight lattice-work?

If I correctly recall the article I read, it's highly elastic and returns to 98% of its original thickness after being crushed. So it would be suitable for shock absorption and impact protection in a wide range of applications where weight considerations are critical (eg. aerospace).

Bluff
Oct 7, 2009

by Ralp

Sunday Punch posted:

If I correctly recall the article I read, it's highly elastic and returns to 98% of its original thickness after being crushed. So it would be suitable for shock absorption and impact protection in a wide range of applications where weight considerations are critical (eg. aerospace).

Also a super-effective insulator.

Chemistry is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Bluff posted:

Also a super-effective insulator.

Chemistry is really cool.

It reminds me of aerogel, which is awesome. I'm pretty sure it was covered a while back in the thread, but the insulating capabilities for how light it is is ridiculous. I just got these winter boots the other day that are insulated with aerogel and I still cannot believe how light they are and how warm they keep my feet (they are rated for up to -40 F but weigh under 1.5 pounds each). CRAZY.

yoohoo has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Nov 22, 2011

• Locked thread