Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waterbed posted:

Sorry for valuing the health of a game over wackiness.

Why do you think Wright is bad for the health of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Brother Entropy posted:

Probably because he doesn't wear a trench coat or use a sword

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Brother Entropy posted:

Because unconventional play styles...something.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

Serious guess:

Somewhat random mechanic with evidence pick ups, and massive power boost from an ability based on the random mechanic (so people that hated Phoenix will hate PW even more).

Edit: I like Phoenix Wright, I was just playing devil's advocate.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 16, 2011

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Firstly, gently caress you, Phoenix Wright owns. :coal:

Secondly, with his second last trial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBciPywo8pQ -- about 1.13 in), I can never get the standing S to connect for the relaunch. I am quite seriously mashing that poo poo as fast as possible but it always looks like it's coming out late. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 16, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's not really that random though, I'd say you have at least a 75% chance of getting good evidence on every try from what I've seen so far.

Maybe I just haven't given him enough of a chance though, apparently press the witness assist becomes absolutely godly if you manage to power him up.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

The Rokstar posted:

It's not really that random though, I'd say you have at least a 75% chance of getting good evidence on every try from what I've seen so far.

Maybe I just haven't given him enough of a chance though, apparently press the witness assist becomes absolutely godly if you manage to power him up.
100% invincible + wallbounce. Yep.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The Rokstar posted:

It's 100%* invincible and causes a wall bounce.

*apparently people on SRK have tested it, and it is possible to knock him out of it on start up with a physical hit hyper, but the guide said it makes all of his assists invincible so someone is lying or it's a glitch or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of glitches, is my copy of the game hosed or does Strange say "Daggers of Danak!" shortly after saying "Astral Magic!!" when you activate his level 3? It's the weirdest thing.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of glitches, is my copy of the game hosed or does Strange say "Daggers of Danak!" shortly after saying "Astral Magic!!" when you activate his level 3? It's the weirdest thing.

I've heard that too. "Astral Magic Daggers of Danak!"

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
The red rings he's putting on the enemy are the daggers of danak, I'm pretty sure all his spells show up in his level 3 in different place.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I could have sworn I did TAC into my third dude instead of my second dude a couple matches ago.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

I could have sworn I did TAC into my third dude instead of my second dude a couple matches ago.

Was dude 2 on assist cooldown? That causes that to happen.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Was dude 2 on assist cooldown? That causes that to happen.

That would explain it. Did it work that way in vanilla too?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

That would explain it. Did it work that way in vanilla too?

Yep. When that happens you will still get 3 TACs, in your case 1, 3, 1.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone with the guide or who just knows tell me what Firebrand's luminous body super does? Is it basically just like berserker charge?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played the Galactus mode? It's clunky as hell. The controls I mean.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Revitalized posted:

Has anyone played the Galactus mode? It's clunky as hell. The controls I mean.

Everything is a command normal, and nothing can be canceled. It's some Street Fighter 1 poo poo.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Cuchulain posted:

Everything is a command normal, and nothing can be canceled. It's some Street Fighter 1 poo poo.

And if you starting walking forward or backward... well, you're not gonna stop walking.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Can someone with the guide or who just knows tell me what Firebrand's luminous body super does? Is it basically just like berserker charge?

Was wondering that myself. It doesn't even regen red health like most power-up forms.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Congrats to everyone showing up to the tournament, it was fun! We should definitely do this more often.

Didn't get to play too much with the game yet but I must say Wolverine's new swiss cheese move messes up my combos way too much :(. I'm a scrub, I know.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
God drat you AMAZON, why are you delaying the guide shipment by a month :doom:

Well looks like I'm going to have to go and pay full price, gently caress if I have any will power to wait that long

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Holy crap, I traded in MvC3 while it was still worth 20 bucks.

And maybe this is just rust, but it seems like this game is just flat out harder to play. Alot of the easy execution but winning strats seem to be nerfed or the timing windows made much smaller.

I don't think I have a chance of playing any of these new characters, except maybe Nemesis. They all seem so hard. And Phoenix Wright is just as unintuitive as I thought he would be. :( (EDIT- for a bad player like me)

Big L posted:

Didn't get to play too much with the game yet but I must say Wolverine's new swiss cheese move messes up my combos way too much :(. I'm a scrub, I know.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna play him anymore, anyways Capcom. You didn't have to do that.

I am a big baby but I'm just not gonna play any character with a mash move. It makes you have to correctly time everything, whereas a character without them can just mash. I think this is where 'simple inputs' implode upon itself. Yes I realize what this sounds like, I'm just saying if there's 3-4 characters where you have to correctly time everything, why bother?

edit- this post is full of minor complaints but this game owns

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 16, 2011

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Does anyone know if Turnabout Mode does anything for the "Get 'em Missile!" assist? More durability perhaps?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I played a few Phoenix Wrights last night with Deadpool and it always went like this:
I shoot guns, they call the maya assist and start digging for evidence, I teleport and murder them.

Is there something Phoenix Wright can do about people with teleports other than get murdered?

It's probably partially due to not playing until late last night when I was tired but the mission mode stuff seemed harder this time. I figured I'd do Wolverine's missions for an easy 10/10 and I was shocked that I actually had to think about them a little bit.

I am really liking the buffs to fly that they gave sentinel. Vanilla sent has an awkwardly long time between fly and ability to act that is gone now. Sent's flight feels much faster and his flight combos are way easier.

I played a few Weskers online and Dark Wesker seems even better now.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yo Nidhogg, you still wanna trade codes, son? E-mail me at as292 @ njit.edu if you do :dance:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The Rokstar posted:

Pretty much - 25% speed boost for about 10 real life seconds (593 frames). You can also do an overhead with j. L, and cancel it into the Bon Voyage, AND you can continue gaining meter in this mode, unlike most other power-up supers.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Does anyone know if Turnabout Mode does anything for the "Get 'em Missile!" assist? More durability perhaps?

He just recovers faster and is out on the field less (44 start-up, 132 recovery normally, 37/115 in Turnabout) It's only Paperwork and Press the Witness that become invincible. (Fun Fact! - The guide calls the invincible Assist B Break the Witness)

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 16, 2011

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dren posted:

I am really liking the buffs to fly that they gave sentinel. Vanilla sent has an awkwardly long time between fly and ability to act that is gone now. Sent's flight feels much faster and his flight combos are way easier.

I pretty much dropped him as soon as I saw that L rocket punch xx HSF doesn't really work anymore. gently caress that noise.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Gatts posted:

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...that can't be...there's a Mega Man X in there!? Some of those costumes are awesome and practically seem like they're completely new models.

I like how they gave players what they were expecting/wanted only in DLC costume mode (e.g. OG Bionic Cammando, Jill)

I really like Business formal She-Hulk. It's like they read my mind.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
I don't have the game yet because I'm pig disgusting eurotrash but I'm curious how the follow up to Nova's rocket super works, anyone wanna clue me in?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cinroth posted:

I don't have the game yet because I'm pig disgusting eurotrash but I'm curious how the follow up to Nova's rocket super works, anyone wanna clue me in?
I'm a pig disgusting eurotrash and I've had it since yesterday :D :D

Is the Frank/Dante THC still the only guaranteed L5?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Cinroth posted:

Tap Direction + Atk.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

CRINDY posted:

I'm a fighting newbie, and I picked up UMvC3 because it looked fun and Capcom had the balls to put Phoenix Wright and Frank West in there.

I'm getting stomped. By the computer. On Easy. I know that there's no conceivable way I'll get better for a long, long time, but what's the best way to go about learning the game's full mechanics and fundamentals? I've spent just as much time in Practice as Arcade, but what else can/should I focus on?

Get the Bible. Seriously, I played Vanilla MvC3 for two months before picking it up, and it blew my mind how much info was in there that I didn't know.

And they tell you straight out in the beginning: MvC3 is one of the most complicated fighting games ever made.

Just the intro where they explain the basic elements of the game is like 50 pages long.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

So, Amazon finally sent me my DLC code for the "New Age of Heroes" pack....problem is, I use none of the characters in said DLC. Anyone care to make a swap of it?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Can anyone tell me if any of novas assists have invulnerable properties on them?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Goodpart posted:

Firstly, gently caress you, Phoenix Wright owns. :coal:

Secondly, with his second last trial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBciPywo8pQ -- about 1.13 in), I can never get the standing S to connect for the relaunch. I am quite seriously mashing that poo poo as fast as possible but it always looks like it's coming out late. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I delayed the air S slightly prior to the relaunch, it seems to give you an extra few frames of time to connect the launcher.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Brosnan posted:

I pretty much dropped him as soon as I saw that L rocket punch xx HSF doesn't really work anymore. gently caress that noise.

I tested it midscreen, not in the corner, but c.M xx L Rocket Punch xx HSF still works. From what I played around with the only time Rocket Punch xx HSF doesn't connect is after a little bit of hitstun is already in the combo.

For his BnB, and people should have been doing this anyway, do the TK L Rocket Punch xx Hard Drive instead of L Rocket Punch xx HSF. It's a ton of damage and it's easy. j.S S j.M j.M j.H j.S, TK L Rocket Punch xx Hard Drive c.M, M Rocket Punch xx Plasma Storm does like 937k mashed.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Played 4 games online last night, got bodied in 3 of them. Game is still fun.

Whatever happened to that card power-up mode? Is that being released later?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Yes.

Re:Sentinel, I think they only removed the ability to Rocket Punch xx HSF when doing an OTG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Rocket punch's hitstun drops off more sharply now than it used to so you can't end combos with rocket punch xx HSF, but it's fine because hard drive loop and rocket punch xx plasma storm both do more damage anyway. Sent is still really really good.

• Locked thread