Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'm really surprised California doesn't have an inspection system.

With CARB and stuff, they don't inspect poo poo, and you can drive for up to 6 months with no plates so yeah.. bizzaro land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There was an inspection system up until the mid 60s from what I read, removed to save tax revenue or something stupid. Hello taped taillights and barely driving hulks.

Funny thing, CARB just writes generalized policy and manages the testing/certification for aftermarket pats , BAR administrates the smog database and standards. I have yet to see someone actually correctly direct some 'arrg my 70s landbarge runs like poo poo ' rage towards the correct entity.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 12, 2011

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Does anyone here have any experience with the Softopper canvas bedcovers? I want something I can sleep under while camping and use to protect my gear and then flip out of the way when I use the truck to haul stuff around. How does it do at highway speeds? I do a lot of driving on I-10 and I don't want it flapping around like crazy.

http://www.softopper.com/Softopper.aspx

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geared Hub posted:

I'm really surprised California doesn't have an inspection system.

With CARB and stuff, they don't inspect poo poo, and you can drive for up to 6 months with no plates so yeah.. bizzaro land.

My brother moved to CA about two years ago. His car's transmission is blotto and won't work properly in 4th gear, common defect. He drives around with it in 3rd gear on plates almost three years expired from another state because he can't afford to fix it for smog or buy a new car. He's been pulled over with the expired plates, too.

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.
Posting in here like a good little sped;

Went for a drive out past the Blue Mountains, NSW the other weekend.

Was a pretty fun weekend, first we came across a P-plater in a hilux who got himself very bogged, so I pulled him out:

Then we camped, my lodgings were basic:

Then my mate's hilux which is a bit old and tired, the viscous LSD is all but useless and his front suspension is loose as, couldn't get up a pinch, so I pulled him out:

Then we found some rivers to cross:

They don't look like much now but recently there have been some floods though here, just look at the poo poo caught up in the trees (stacked a good 2-3m high, river is 50-60m high at this point):

Fun weekend, didn't break anything which is always nice, although I did go through a massive puddle with my driver's window open and copped an armful of mud:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Well like I said in the other thread. It looks like it was a fun trip. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why can't Iowa have awesome 4x4 trails? Looks like it was fun!

yum meatballs!
Jan 21, 2004

Yea Bitches
Just bought this the other day. 1997 Explorer XL 4x4 4.0 OHV. Can't wait to get it dirty!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Motronic posted:

Oh, I'm aware. Which is the point I'm trying to make about PA inspection being drat near what I would consider a "bare minimum" if you're going to bother having inspection at all.

I think draconian might be the wrong term. Antiquated maybe? We check every nut and bolt, but there's no emissions inspections to speak of in most counties.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I think draconian might be the wrong term. Antiquated maybe? We check every nut and bolt, but there's no emissions inspections to speak of in most counties.

The point is that we DON'T check anywhere close to every nut and bolt. Did you read reddeathdrinker's synopsis of what a MOT inspection is like?

As far as emissions, that is nearly a thing of the past in regards to ir being a separate "thing". Vehicles are expected to monitor their own emissions with the addition of downstream O2s. You can't pass an inspection with a MIL set, which would be the case if there were an emissions problem on a modern passenger vehicle. If it's OBDII, there is literally no reason to test the emissions separately if you won't issue an inspection sticker on a vehicle with a MIL.

Dynos/tail pipe sniffers are a thing of the past (or a leftover from it) for the most part.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
This thing looks really clean:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/2704296001.html

Kinda silly price imho. Any idea what this thing is actually worth? I have always like oldschool 4runners and Pathfinders.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

The point is that we DON'T check anywhere close to every nut and bolt. Did you read reddeathdrinker's synopsis of what a MOT inspection is like?

As far as emissions, that is nearly a thing of the past in regards to ir being a separate "thing". Vehicles are expected to monitor their own emissions with the addition of downstream O2s. You can't pass an inspection with a MIL set, which would be the case if there were an emissions problem on a modern passenger vehicle. If it's OBDII, there is literally no reason to test the emissions separately if you won't issue an inspection sticker on a vehicle with a MIL.

Dynos/tail pipe sniffers are a thing of the past (or a leftover from it) for the most part.

Downstream O2 sensors ONLY measure the comparative percentage of HC against the main sensor. they do not measure NOx or anything else other than catalyst efficiency. You could have broken/removed EVR, PCV, and evap and run on 1 cylinder and it would never know if the main and secondary sensor are in agreement that the hydrocarbon section of the catalyst is functioning on a warm car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Downstream O2 sensors ONLY measure the comparative percentage of HC against the main sensor. they do not measure NOx or anything else other than catalyst efficiency. You could have broken/removed EVR, PCV, and evap and run on 1 cylinder and it would never know if the main and secondary sensor are in agreement that the hydrocarbon section of the catalyst is functioning on a warm car.

Broken/removed EGR: sets one or more P0400, 0401, 0402 and others
Broken PCV: OBDII monitoring required as of 2004 (P1485 on Dodges, somewhere close for other makes, but still setting a DTC regardless)
Evap: obviously a slew of code possibilities. The testing is sensitive enough to throw a a P0442 with so much as an ill-fitted fuel cap.
Misfiring/not running on all cylinders: P0300 series

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sold my 99 Cherokee about 6 months ago and have been regretting it ever since. Loved having a 4wd truck and have had multiple projects where I really needed the cargo space and had to rent from lowes instead. Can't really afford to get something as nice just now, so I've been checking out older pickups (which are plentiful around here.) I just have no idea what to look for and am curious about this one: http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2688637934.html

Guy says the ODO is sitting at 99xxx but could have turned over who knows how many times, and the exhaust manifold is cracked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

powderific posted:

I sold my 99 Cherokee about 6 months ago and have been regretting it ever since. Loved having a 4wd truck and have had multiple projects where I really needed the cargo space and had to rent from lowes instead. Can't really afford to get something as nice just now, so I've been checking out older pickups (which are plentiful around here.) I just have no idea what to look for and am curious about this one: http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2688637934.html

Guy says the ODO is sitting at 99xxx but could have turned over who knows how many times, and the exhaust manifold is cracked.

Any 4 wheel drive pickup that runs is worth $1500. Go for it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If the body isn't falling off its worth at least 2000!

Actually that is a pretty decent example from that era... Its not perfect but if its a beater, then don't worry about it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just sold a 1975 k-10 Chevy with fisherman's camper. 4" lift, 35" procomp tires, bull low tractor low crawling gear, and all new steering components, suspension, brakes etc for $2500. Good price to the buyer.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

n8r posted:

This thing looks really clean:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/2704296001.html

Kinda silly price imho. Any idea what this thing is actually worth? I have always like oldschool 4runners and Pathfinders.

It's a little pricey but if I had the money sitting around, I'd buy the gently caress up out of it. It's clean as hell. I'd sooner drive down to some place that doesn't get snow and salt because they're relatively dime-a-dozen in those places.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

Broken/removed EGR: sets one or more P0400, 0401, 0402 and others
Broken PCV: OBDII monitoring required as of 2004 (P1485 on Dodges, somewhere close for other makes, but still setting a DTC regardless)
Evap: obviously a slew of code possibilities. The testing is sensitive enough to throw a a P0442 with so much as an ill-fitted fuel cap.
Misfiring/not running on all cylinders: P0300 series

I'm aware of the OBD system and its code outputs, but you weren't talking about that, you were talking about what a downstream sensor does.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I'm aware of the OBD system and its code outputs, but you weren't talking about that, you were talking about what a downstream sensor does.

I think you may have taken that out of context. The context was: there is no good reason to do a separate emission test on modern pasenger cars providing your inspection fails it for any DTCs that are set.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Went out to Big Bend National park last night and did the Old Ore Road in two parts. Took the time to snap a picture of my new truck in a place that I had a picture of my old Cherokee in. Was the first time I have really gotten the truck offroad. It isn't a hard road, but gave me a chance to feel out the trucks capabilities. Will be back a lot more since it is only 2 hours away. Here is a KML file that will show the route in Google Earth.

Old picture.

weyland 077 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

New picture

Big Bend_50 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

I wish my tripod wasn't broken so I could have gotten a better picture.

Big Bend_17 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Big Bend_111 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Big Bend_132 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/historyculture/juan-de-leon.htm

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 20, 2011

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
So Friday was my first ever 4x4 experience. We went on a rockhound trip to Chuckwalla springs. The ranger performed beautifully and I can honestly say that that was the most fun I have ever had while driving. There are no new fluid leaks. I had no problems with overheating, hell the AC was on half of the time. The bfg ATs are amazing. There were points where all I could see was sky and then suddenly all I could see was the ground. I had to go into 4lo twice. It was such a fun thing to experience. This was also my first time experiencing sliding and really low traction as there were some areas that was just loose sand, and I was just flying through those. I loved just slipping around the desert. I cannot wait to go out again.

In the future I need to find some flared fenders for the front. the offset had them hit the wheel arch every once and a while. I need to replace the struts, and I need to find new suspension bushings but the lift is no longer in production so I don't know where to go there. I need to find a place to stash my spare tire as clearance between the frame rails is an issue. I also need a high lift jack.

I am going to have a lot of fun with this truck :3:.

Are lifetime alignments a good idea?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

So Friday was my first ever 4x4 experience. We went on a rockhound trip to Chuckwalla springs. The ranger performed beautifully and I can honestly say that that was the most fun I have ever had while driving. There are no new fluid leaks. I had no problems with overheating, hell the AC was on half of the time. The bfg ATs are amazing. There were points where all I could see was sky and then suddenly all I could see was the ground. I had to go into 4lo twice. It was such a fun thing to experience. This was also my first time experiencing sliding and really low traction as there were some areas that was just loose sand, and I was just flying through those. I loved just slipping around the desert. I cannot wait to go out again.

In the future I need to find some flared fenders for the front. the offset had them hit the wheel arch every once and a while. I need to replace the struts, and I need to find new suspension bushings but the lift is no longer in production so I don't know where to go there. I need to find a place to stash my spare tire as clearance between the frame rails is an issue. I also need a high lift jack.

I am going to have a lot of fun with this truck :3:.

Are lifetime alignments a good idea?

Sounds awesome! Pictures would be lovely. What type of terrain were you on most of the time? I usually keep my jeep in 4 lo for 90% of my four wheeling to keep my transmission happy. Also my jeep has no guts in 4 hi to get over any rocks or anything. 4 hi has pretty limited uses.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

So I want to crank to the torsion bars on my 1996 Sonoma to see if I can get an inch out of it, but from what I've read it wears out cv boots and bearings and all sorts of poo poo if you do it too far. If I just play it safe and push it up 1", will I have to worry about poo poo wearing out? Otherwise what's the cheapest way to get a small lift? I'm a real noob to lifting trucks.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
There was some flat sand but most of the time I was on unmaintained dirt/medium to large gravel road. We drove through a lot of small canyons or dried riverbeds. I didn't take any picture but next time I will bring a camera. I was told that that was the most difficult path that the searchers go on. The desert is a beautiful place.

^^^^^
I think that any form of lift without it being a completely redesigned suspension will wear parts more quickly as you are bringing them out of original operating specifications. However, if any issues arise you will probably notice them through the steering wheel. It isn't like you will be replacing everything every 10,000 miles either. I have a 2.5" lift and my only issues are with alignment.

A cheap lift option would be lift blocks. They just shim the suspension up a little bit. That is what I have in the rear. Just remember that you have to pay to play. A good suspension can take a lot of work and money.

I'd also wait for another person to chime in as I am still new to this.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Going up an inch on the torsion bar should be OK without it becoming too much of a problem but I don't know how it will affect your particular car. I nearly did it on a fourtrak but never bothered becase I thought the loss of down travel wouldn't be worth it.
With a lift you need to decide what you want it for: show, better approach / departure angles or to fit bigger tyres. Lifting will also bring up your c of g which is something to bear in mind.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Colonel K posted:

Going up an inch on the torsion bar should be OK without it becoming too much of a problem but I don't know how it will affect your particular car. I nearly did it on a fourtrak but never bothered becase I thought the loss of down travel wouldn't be worth it.
With a lift you need to decide what you want it for: show, better approach / departure angles or to fit bigger tyres. Lifting will also bring up your c of g which is something to bear in mind.

Really lowers fuel efficiency too, to an extent.

And you nailed it on the head, what with asking yourself what you want out of a suspension lift.

if it's just to clear taller tires for a little more clearance, a block lift can do that. If you want to really improve off-road performance, you'll want to look at entire suspension packages, which get fairly expensive (but well worth the cash).

If you're looking for "just looks", without any performance gain (and often a performance loss), you can go for the torsion bar adjustment - you lose as much suspension travel as you adjust for height. If you don't care about suspension travel, then it's a good, cheap (free) solution.

To be honest I've never dealt with lifting an independant suspension vehicle, everything I've ever worked with was solid axles. If you look into some of the more serious lifts on those, you'll start looking into things like shimming parts of your driveline to keep the angles appropriate, lengthening driveshafts, brake lines, etc. But those are on the more extreme ends of the spectrum.

It depends what type of off-road driving you want to do as well. Personally, I never needed much more than 9 inches or so of clearance for my Jeep, wheel placement is king for the type of mountain stuff I was doing (10" would have been a touch better, as I did scrape a couple of times), but most of that was just milling about on the backtrails in the colorado rockies. Suspension flex was more what I looked for, to keep all four on the ground.

I got so used to driving that way, I'm having to re-learn how to take things in the volvo, 18" of clearance to the differentials and full lockers take a bit of getting used to - I still have a natural tendancy to back off and try a new path when I start slipping a wheel instead of just locking the diffs and going. Which causes a few self-induced "why the gently caress did I just do that" moments.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Not dirty, but 4x4 for sure :D

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

chrisgt posted:

Dirty wheels counts as dirty for me.

That's awesome.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Doccers posted:

Really lowers fuel efficiency too, to an extent.

And you nailed it on the head, what with asking yourself what you want out of a suspension lift.

if it's just to clear taller tires for a little more clearance, a block lift can do that. If you want to really improve off-road performance, you'll want to look at entire suspension packages, which get fairly expensive (but well worth the cash).

If you're looking for "just looks", without any performance gain (and often a performance loss), you can go for the torsion bar adjustment - you lose as much suspension travel as you adjust for height. If you don't care about suspension travel, then it's a good, cheap (free) solution.

Yeah funds are low and I just got new tires (stuck with 235/75) so I'm not trying to clear any tires, it's really just cosmetic because s10 pickups are way too low stock. I guess it won't hurt off-road performance, but to be realistic the only off-roading I do is at home around the family farm.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
If you just want to go up for cosmetic reasons what about a minor body lift? Then you won't be changing the suspension geometery. Winding up the torsion bars won't help your off road performance.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

chrisgt posted:

Makes me miss my old wheeling subaru.

2" suspension spacer lift and 27" AT's on peugeot wheels. I think the pic is when I busted a rear half shaft.

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.
went out again on the weekend to go 4wding/camping. It had rained pretty heavily the night before (http://tinyurl.com/c56q6ur hope that works) but we went anyway. We arrived at our first campsite to find this:

and the other campsite:

and the causeway:

what you can almost see is the 'm' in '3m'. this is what the causeway normally looks like (borrowed someone's vid from youtube) http://youtu.be/YX4NjPAv-P4

anyhoo, some time later in the weekend I did a boo boo:

Got a wheel up in the air and kaboom goes the CV :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think these are common down in the America, but in Western Canada several of these have been imported over the last few years...

Mercedes G-Wagon in normal civilian non-AMG supercharged form. They come with a smaller Turbo Diesel, and are built stout. Same chassis and drivetrain as the military units.

Neat thing about them: They will fit a 37" tire without a lift, and still be able to flex well.

A guy on bc4x4.com has one, and posted up a pretty good video of him and some friends doing the Whipsaw trail in late spring last year.

He's running Iroks and basically broke trail for everyone for 800km or so of expedition.

http://youtu.be/JktGSzodctQ

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The problem is that they seem (in the UK at least) to be REALLY expensive.

Side note: After the Falklands, a number (about 20?) of the Argentinian G-Wagens were captured of by the British forces, but the Argies hadn't actually finished paying for them yet (they asked for them back, and were told to gently caress off). The British army didn't pay Mercedes for them either, so in return were denied any spare parts, and the end result was that their numbers dwindled as parts were cannibalised off each other for running repairs.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I have several friends owning 280GEs and 300GDs, and they all seem to love theirs. They run incredibly stout and are pretty capable, but I've found their problem lies in how expensive parts are and due to them being so expensive, few of their owners dare try risky stuff.

Amazing vehicles nonetheless. I'm not sure they'll fit 37's without a lift though, his has 33's and it's barely got room there (the one in the middle).

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Steiler Drep posted:

I have several friends owning 280GEs and 300GDs, and they all seem to love theirs. They run incredibly stout and are pretty capable, but I've found their problem lies in how expensive parts are and due to them being so expensive, few of their owners dare try risky stuff.

Amazing vehicles nonetheless. I'm not sure they'll fit 37's without a lift though, his has 33's and it's barely got room there (the one in the middle).

poo poo, if you enjoy sawzalling enough, YJs will fit 40s without a lift.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

jonathan posted:

A guy on bc4x4.com has one, and posted up a pretty good video of him and some friends doing the Whipsaw trail in late spring last year.

He's running Iroks and basically broke trail for everyone for 800km or so of expedition.

http://youtu.be/JktGSzodctQ

That looks like a fantastic route. I would love to head north and drive in some snow.

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS

jonathan posted:

Have you been out with the bc4x4 guys? Are they generally pretty mellow or do they get into the "Throwing beer cans at that guy there as we tear up the wilderness" activities?

I'm a bcjeepclub.ca member and would love to do some family friendly runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whiskey posted:

Have you been out with the bc4x4 guys? Are they generally pretty mellow or do they get into the "Throwing beer cans at that guy there as we tear up the wilderness" activities?

I'm a bcjeepclub.ca member and would love to do some family friendly runs.

I've been out with BC Jeep, Herd of Turtles and BC4x4. To be honest there is no difference and usually it's all the same guys and vehicles. There is a lot of inter-forum mixing. Inter-forum mixing is ruining our heritage and culture.