Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
PowerAMP is pretty drat good, and it can navigate through the directory tree just fine. The Folders interface can be set up to navigate pretty much exactly like Windows Explorer, just set it to sort by hierarchy and file name. It comes with an unrestricted 2-week trial period, just give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Wagonburner posted:

Subsonic is good at all 3 of those, but its a streamer and requires you to setup a server. (it caches as straight mp3 and can play from definable size cache offline) The directories it respects is your own music directory tree at home. It keeps the same dir structure in the cache. I love it. Xvid/mkv/wmv/whatever conversion to flash streaming also.

The tiny bit (literally just a few minutes) I played around with miui player it seemed like it wasn't tag reliant, did directories too.

You could probably make Subsonic work without a server by using offline mode.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cakefool posted:

A while back someone posted an app that locks out your text messaging for a certain period, meant to be used when you know you're going to get drunk. I think you guys could benefit from that more than a better keyboard.

Why the hell would you deny your friends the joy of drunken texts?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I guess they turned off Google Music invites in preparation for tomorrow? I have the best timing.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Delivery McGee posted:

I want a photo-editing app so I can take a picture, crop it to web-friendly size, and upload to tumblr or facebook or whatever right from my phone.

I need that app to have a user-selectable crop size -- Photoshop Express seems to have the smaller dimension hard-coded to be 562px when it crops, and that just won't do (I've got an idea to treat my Evo3D as a TLR and make square pictures, and I want them to be at least 800px wide because anything less is just silly these days). Ability to add borders is a plus. And of course I don't want to pay for it.

Does such a thing exist?
The SGS2 has a pretty sweet image editing app that can do that kind of stuff. Not really helpful though in your case.

As for the sharing, if you have a facebook or tumblr or whatever app installed that is integrated into the sharing API (most are) then you can just share to it from any app with the share button.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Shanakin posted:

As for the sharing, if you have a facebook or tumblr or whatever app installed that is integrated into the sharing API (most are) then you can just share to it from any app with the share button.

Yeah, that's the easy part, the problem is taking the 5mp picture and making it small enough to upload but not tiny.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

I guess they turned off Google Music invites in preparation for tomorrow? I have the best timing.

They did? I still have three, if you want one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is there any way to get the LauncherPro Calendar Widget to ignore certain calendars? I have them unchecked in the main calendar app, but they still show up in the widget.

Also related: how the hell do I stop all of my Facebook friends' birthdays from being imported into "My Calendar"?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

They did? I still have three, if you want one.

I'd love one, username at gmail.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

I'd love one, username at gmail.

It turns out I didn't know there were invites, so I have 8 to give out.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Splizwarf posted:

I dunno, I got one late yesterday or this morning. Somehow I asked for one months ago and it came through just now.

Is there anyway to upload music through the Music app or mobile website? I already had the leaked app, so I'm not sure what I gained by finally getting the invite (until I upload some music from my PC, I guess).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Soliciting a Google Music invite from anyone at this point (username at gmail), would like to get in before the clock ticks 12 tonight.

A question has come up as my wife and I have talked about tablets tonight: can a rooted Nook Simple Touch run the Kindle Android app? I found a small "yes" with my googling but couldn't tell if that was pleasantly useful or just a barely-functional proof-of-concept.

Her main issue is a lot of her books are in .mobi and none of the format converters we've tried have done a great job (mostly leaving a shitload of arrows all over the place).

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Splizwarf posted:

Soliciting a Google Music invite from anyone at this point (username at gmail), would like to get in before the clock ticks 12 tonight.

A question has come up as my wife and I have talked about tablets tonight: can a rooted Nook Simple Touch run the Kindle Android app? I found a small "yes" with my googling but couldn't tell if that was pleasantly useful or just a barely-functional proof-of-concept.

Her main issue is a lot of her books are in .mobi and none of the format converters we've tried have done a great job (mostly leaving a shitload of arrows all over the place).

Just sent you one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Athenry posted:

Just sent you one.

My thanks! :tipshat:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Didn't see anybody mention this, but the Adobe Touch Apps have finally been released (for :10bux: each):

Adobe Photoshop Touch

quote:

Transform images with core Photoshop features in an app designed for tablets.
Combine images, apply professional effects, share results with friends and family through sites like Facebook, and more – all from the convenience of your tablet.
  • Use Photoshop features designed for the tablet such as layers, selection tools, adjustments, and filters to create mind-blowing images.
  • Use your tablet camera to fill an area on a layer with the exclusive camera fill feature.
  • Select part of an image to extract by scribbling with the Scribble Selection tool. With Refine Edge, use your fingertip to capture even hard-to-select image elements, like hair, with ease.
  • Search and acquire images with the integrated Google Image Search.
  • Share images on Facebook and view comments right within the app.
  • Browse an inspirational gallery for the styles and results you'd like to achieve. Then follow step-by-step tutorials to easily learn techniques the pros use for great-looking results.
  • Sync projects with Adobe Creative Cloud* and open layered files from Adobe Photoshop Touch in Photoshop.
  • Image resolution: 1600 x 1600 pixels

Adobe Ideas

quote:

Adobe Ideas is the digital sketchpad app to create vector drawings anywhere.
Great ideas show up anywhere. Adobe® Ideas is the essential digital sketchpad app that lets you design almost anywhere using vectors, layers, and color themes. With Adobe Ideas create finished design work ready for production. Or easily access the results for refining in Adobe Illustrator® or Photoshop®.

Adobe Proto

quote:

Adobe Proto lets you create wireframes of websites and apps on your tablet.
Design interactive wireframes and prototypes for websites and mobile apps with the convenience of simple touch gestures.

Adobe Debut

quote:

Adobe Debut lets you present designs and capture feedback on your tablet.
Adobe® Debut is the new Adobe Touch App that lets you elegantly present select Adobe Creative Suite® designs to clients and colleagues virtually anywhere with confidence and complete control.

Adobe Collage

quote:

Adobe Collage lets you assemble moodboards combining images, drawings, and text.
Adobe® Collage lets you capture and refine concepts by combining inspirational images, drawings, text, and files from select Adobe Creative Suite® components into modern, conceptual moodboards. Upload your files to Adobe Creative Cloud* to refine later or share with others.

Adobe Kuler

quote:

Adobe Kuler lets you generate color themes that can inspire any design project.
Adobe Kuler is the most powerful color inspiration tool you’ve seen on a tablet device. Create harmonious color themes that can inspire any project with easy-to-use tools. Explore hundreds of thousands of color themes created by the Kuler community – a vibrant social network of color enthusiasts.
Whether you’re a designer, artist, developer, hobbyist, craft maker, or just somebody who loves color, Kuler will transform your tablet into the ultimate inspiration tool.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I think the EMIT guy still posts here so I thought I'd say the app works very well on the Kindle Fire. I'm using the "High * Dual Core" profile.

This is really helpful because not only is the Fire restricted on storage, but it also won't even play XviD/h.264 files that are copied via USB. So Emit is a great solution.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

PowerAMP is pretty drat good, and it can navigate through the directory tree just fine. The Folders interface can be set up to navigate pretty much exactly like Windows Explorer, just set it to sort by hierarchy and file name. It comes with an unrestricted 2-week trial period, just give it a try.

I did, and I liked it, the worst thing is that since the trial is up, you dont seem to be able to use shuffle, which is practically the only way I listen. I dont need anything fancy, I mainly just liked the album art download thing. I play my music over my FM transmitter/bluetooth hands free box so its hard to notice any difference in playback quality if there is any, thats what I was looking for when I tried it out.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 16, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I did, and I liked it, the worst thing is that since the trial is up, you dont seem to be able to use shuffle, which is practically the only way I listen. I dont need anything fancy, I mainly just liked the album art download thing.

Seeking a simple file manager/explorer, the only feature I need is to be able to multi select files (pictures), for the purpose of uploading to dropbox. Does it exist/best choice?
The best file browser is EStrong's File Explorer which not only does root browsing but also uploads to Dropbox natively. That said, it seems like it does it kind of (extremely) slowly. I need to file a bug with the dev on that. But you could combine that with Dropsync to have a folder that automatically syncs to Dropbox (albeit only one folder and only on a schedule on the free version).

Should be exactly what you need.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Is there an twitter app that can push notify tweets from specific feeds? Ideally one that would display the tweet content in the notification.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

The best file browser is EStrong's File Explorer which not only does root browsing but also uploads to Dropbox natively. That said, it seems like it does it kind of (extremely) slowly. I need to file a bug with the dev on that. But you could combine that with Dropsync to have a folder that automatically syncs to Dropbox (albeit only one folder and only on a schedule on the free version).

Should be exactly what you need.

Regarding EStrong's, how do you make it browse root folders? I had to buy Astro to fix the HTC spy scare business, but of course it'd be nice to only have one file browser and really know how to use it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

I haven't heard much on the nodding community for the new eink nook. Either way, have you tried caliber for converting? Works great for me going the other way (epub to mobi).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

codo27 posted:

I did, and I liked it, the worst thing is that since the trial is up, you dont seem to be able to use shuffle, which is practically the only way I listen. I dont need anything fancy, I mainly just liked the album art download thing. I play my music over my FM transmitter/bluetooth hands free box so its hard to notice any difference in playback quality if there is any, thats what I was looking for when I tried it out.
You mean since your trial period is over, or since a trial version even exists? If it's the former I guess you'll just have to buy it, but I am still in the trial period and can use shuffle just fine. The bigger widgets even come with a button for it.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Regarding EStrong's, how do you make it browse root folders? I had to buy Astro to fix the HTC spy scare business, but of course it'd be nice to only have one file browser and really know how to use it.

Menu > Settings > Root Explorer. You may then have to tell it to mount /system as writable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Delivery McGee posted:

I want a photo-editing app so I can take a picture, crop it to web-friendly size, and upload to tumblr or facebook or whatever right from my phone.

I need that app to have a user-selectable crop size -- Photoshop Express seems to have the smaller dimension hard-coded to be 562px when it crops, and that just won't do (I've got an idea to treat my Evo3D as a TLR and make square pictures, and I want them to be at least 800px wide because anything less is just silly these days). Ability to add borders is a plus. And of course I don't want to pay for it.

Does such a thing exist?

QuickPic will do it and also makes a pretty nice gallery replacement - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Either way, have you tried caliber for converting? Works great for me going the other way (epub to mobi).

Yeah, that app is definitely the top of the heap; it does work very well going that direction, but so far every .mobi that we've fed into the input hopper has come out sort of lovely. Issues range from leftover arrows to random font changes to big dead spaces to mangled text; mostly just leftover arrows, but still irritating enough that the Kindle app would be preferable.

Also she's not jazzed about loving with a converter in the first place, she's coming from the Apple environment where stuff just works.

I found some more definitive stuff about how well the Kindle app works on a rooted Simple Touch last night after I posted, so I think we're both getting them now. :shobon:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Didn't see anybody mention this, but the Adobe Touch Apps have finally been released (for :10bux: each):

Adobe Photoshop Touch

Adobe Ideas

Adobe Proto

Adobe Debut

Adobe Collage

Adobe Kuler

Unfortunately they're Honeycomb apps and won't work on Gingerbread tablets. No go on my TouchPad. :(

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you long press on the applet, does a bar appear across the top with a rectangle on the left? If you press that it should go fullscreen. On some of them you can also double-tap the applet.

Do you know of a way to have it stretch to fill the screen? When I click that maximize button, it basically keeps the flash video in the center with a huge black border on all sides. It could be the original resolution of the video, but is there a way to fill the screen with it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IT Guy posted:

Do you know of a way to have it stretch to fill the screen? When I click that maximize button, it basically keeps the flash video in the center with a huge black border on all sides. It could be the original resolution of the video, but is there a way to fill the screen with it?

When you press the maximize button, it just maximizes the Flash applet itself, so the video you're looking at is probably a widescreen video in a more squarish applet. I don't think you can change Flash's behavior, but you can probably get it the size you want by pinch-zooming on the page itself.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

When you press the maximize button, it just maximizes the Flash applet itself, so the video you're looking at is probably a widescreen video in a more squarish applet. I don't think you can change Flash's behavior, but you can probably get it the size you want by pinch-zooming on the page itself.

I've never wanted for a flash "app" on a PC but there have been plenty of times on my android (mainly my local news site) I've wished I could launch a flash video in a seperate purpose-built player rather than in the browser. Because of stuff like this mainly.

That and sometimes (33% maybe) the long-press to get the top bar (to go full screen) doesn't work, I've never had double-tapping work. You have to zoom way in to click whatever fullscreen button the content provider put there.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Wagonburner posted:

That and sometimes (33% maybe) the long-press to get the top bar (to go full screen) doesn't work, I've never had double-tapping work. You have to zoom way in to click whatever fullscreen button the content provider put there.

I'm finding this too. I think I've found a workaround though. For me, if I pause the video then I can get it to pop up every time.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
I use Opera Mobile for most my browsing needs, I actually enjoy reading the SA forums more with it than the Awful app, but it's still a little wonky for flash. For Flash content it's either stock for my phone or boat browser on my tablet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Yea I was sort of amazed when it let me up my entire library (although it took forever). It's gonna be cool once they have all your music and have you sucking off their teet then institute a monthly fee.

Google hardly charges anything for their services. They likely aren't going to all of a sudden charge a hundred dollars a month for Google Music.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Syrinxx posted:

I think the EMIT guy still posts here so I thought I'd say the app works very well on the Kindle Fire. I'm using the "High * Dual Core" profile.

This is really helpful because not only is the Fire restricted on storage, but it also won't even play XviD/h.264 files that are copied via USB. So Emit is a great solution.

I just got a Fire too and this app is great. Thumbs up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Google hardly charges anything for their services. They likely aren't going to all of a sudden charge a hundred dollars a month for Google Music.

Yeah, the thing to keep in mind is that Google makes most of their money on using or reselling your usage data. The don't need to charge you anything to make money off knowing what your music preferences are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

ProjektorBoy posted:

Menu > Settings > Root Explorer. You may then have to tell it to mount /system as writable.
And to get to root from the UI, press the leftmost button on the menubar and select Phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

And to get to root from the UI, press the leftmost button on the menubar and select Phone.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by menubar, it only gives me local, LAN, FTP, bluetooth, and net. If you meant local, then the highest I can go is /sdcard/.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

hooah posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by menubar, it only gives me local, LAN, FTP, bluetooth, and net. If you meant local, then the highest I can go is /sdcard/.

go into the settings and set the home directory as just /

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Armacham posted:

go into the settings and set the home directory as just /

Aha! Thanks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'll agree that LBE is loving stellar. I just wish they had a bit more openness on their part. The only solid comfort I have about it is that it hasn't been ousted from the Market. I sure as poo poo wouldn't install it from anywhere else and even then it's not like the Market has a perfect record.

(I know this is a few pages ago but only just realised there was a new thread)

I asked LBE about their app and when they will bring it a paid version, they told me they will be keeping it free forever, they are using it to increase their reputation to help promote other paid apps they are releasing soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
There's a new Mario lockscreen for MIUI that looks fantastic. I wish I could install it on my Sense ROM. :(

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/11/16/interactive-miui-mario-lockscreen-can-unlock-your-phone-but-not-world-9/

• Locked thread