Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

exquisite tea posted:

Hey Star Wars people, I was just watching the Empire Strikes Back and noticed that at the very end, the Rebel fleet is orbiting the outskirts of the entire galaxy. They've got to be at least 100k light years out to have a view like that! If they can get that far outside their own galaxy, why do the Rebels risk detection by hanging around on planets instead of just grabbing the resources they need and returning to deep space?

I always assumed they were seeing another Galaxy, not their own. So they're in a galaxy that's close to (by close I mean about 100k light years) to another galaxy so they get a great view of it. It's probably not scientifically correct that they would see a galaxy that clearly that's that far away, but this is star wars, so we can just say the force made it look like that or something.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Since I like the NJO I just pretend that the thing they were looking at at the end of ESB was anything but the galaxy.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

exquisite tea posted:

Hey Star Wars people, I was just watching the Empire Strikes Back and noticed that at the very end, the Rebel fleet is orbiting the outskirts of the entire galaxy. They've got to be at least 100k light years out to have a view like that! If they can get that far outside their own galaxy, why do the Rebels risk detection by hanging around on planets instead of just grabbing the resources they need and returning to deep space?

It's home. Even if they could feasibly explore outside the galaxy(I think the EU mentions that going too far out becomes a huge pain in the rear end, like Outbound Flight or whatever) most of them probably wouldn't leave because they don't want to just escape the Empire. They want to burn down an evil dictatorship and give their families and loved ones a freer life.

Luke hated living on Tatooine, Alderaan is smoked, and I don't know how Han feels about Corellia. But I can see your average Rebel infantryman or pilot being in it to give his planet back to the people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Did anyone else get the TOR Online weekend beta test e-mails?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I think it's pretty well accepted here that Stackpole's books are better than most of the EU by a good margin, but that they do have the downside of Corran Horn being the biggest Mary Sue (or whatever the masculine equivalent is) ever.

Stackpole's notorious for that poo poo. If you look at his BattleTech work, he does the exact same thing with Justin Allard in the Warrior trilogy, and Phelan Kell / Victor Davion in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy. He just can't keep from injecting an all-knowing, all-powerful ubermensch into his work.

The other thing he loves to do is try and update current-day metaphors to the fiction of the universe he's writing in. "That doesn't ring a bell for me" becoming "That doesn't manipulate a hologram for me" in one of his BattleTech books still makes me cringe, and I haven't read one of those things in probably twelve years.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 12, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
How does traveling in single file hide sand peoples numbers?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth Freddy posted:

They only leave one set of tracks.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Darth Freddy posted:

Because then people dont har a clue as to how many sand people there are? Could be four, could be forty, could be one. When storm troopers walk in ranks you can tell how many of them there in some sense, and if you have knowledge of how imperials walk in formations you could deduce more numbers from that.
E:fb.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So yeah, I found and played a pretty neat Star Wars mod for the original Mount and Blade which is professionally done and maybe the only chance we'll get of a open ended RPG set in the OT ever.

I'd grab it when original Mount and Blade goes on sale on STEAM for a buck.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 13, 2011

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Darth Freddy posted:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
It still seems like single file would really make no difference what so ever compared to two people side by side. Hell they should drag a cloth behind them to cover up the foot prints.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth Freddy posted:

It still seems like single file would really make no difference what so ever compared to two people side by side. Hell they should drag a cloth behind them to cover up the foot prints.

If an entire tribe or clan or war party or whatever are tooling along single-file it'd be a lot harder to tell how many of them there were than if there was a huge swath of tracks from traveling side-by-side.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
That quote doesn't necessarily refer to footprints. Approaching a target in a single column along mostly flat terrain would make it difficult to tell how many there were relative to Imperial troops marching in ranks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darth Freddy posted:

True, it's not that much better than two people side by side. But it's way better than, say, 30 side by side. The point is, when there's only one set of tracks, there might be 2 of them, might be 50. There's no way to know. And a cloth would be worse as well, because if you had 30 people side by side, all dragging a cloth, that would be a massive area all smoothed out, giving you an idea of how many people there are.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not sure if I first saw this here or not, but here is a link to some geek who has either the best or worst idea I have ever heard:

http://atatforamerica.tumblr.com/

The latest update is from back in may, and it seems he's given up on his epic quest and settled for asking people to do mediocre things in public spaces. Shame.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
How did Leland Chee get his job?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

How did Leland Chee get his job?

Virgin sacrifice.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
In Empire Strikes Back, Admiral Ozzel drops the Imperial fleet out of lightspeed just beyond Hoth. The rebels see them, put up a giant shield, and start evacuating. When Darth Vader gets off the phone with the Emperor, Captain Piett tattles, Vader flips his poo poo, and kills Ozzel.

Question is, what should've Ozzel done? If he dropped out of lightspeed farther out, the rebels couldn't have seen them? They already began evacuations after seeing the probe droid. Should Ozzel have dropped out of lightspace with dropships ready to go, and attacked immediately? Or did Vader just feel like killing Ozzel, no matter what?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"With all the meteor activity in this system, it's going to be difficult to spot approaching ships." -General Rieekan

There's asteroids everywhere in that system -- imagine a radar screen of it all. Which would be harder to spot: a fleet slowly sneaking up on you through the rocks, or one suddenly appearing in low orbit in perfect military formation?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Should've pulled a Galactica and jumped into the atmosphere. You think they poo poo themselves after spotting slow walkers? Try the Imperial flagship suddenly appearing half a mile over your head.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Should've pulled a Galactica and jumped into the atmosphere. You think they poo poo themselves after spotting slow walkers? Try the Imperial flagship suddenly appearing half a mile over your head.

Canon explanation for that is the gravity pull from planets interfering with hyperdrive, but it would be pretty awesome.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Henceforth, the legendary Ozzel Maneuver.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Considering the Executor is doomed to smash into a artificial moon two years later, It would have been easier to bail and jump that thing right into the Rebel base.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Sounds like some people are forgetting the shield capable of withstanding any bombardment.

Does ramming a 17 km ship into it at orbital speeds count as 'any'? I think so. :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm not sure what to say about this, but...it's certainly a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2jqIRjJVI

Carrie Fisher going after Shatner in very very weird ways. Also some hilarious ways.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Thank you eBay!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
drat this whole replica business.

Sometimes I go on sprees looking for a good replica Imperial tie pilot helmet. I'm probably never going to find one I can afford, but that doesn't prevent me from looking :(

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Have you asked the 501st guys? I'm sure there's someone who produces cheapish TIE stuff for members.

Also those sabers are sexy. I love the Graflex hilt.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Red posted:

In Empire Strikes Back, Admiral Ozzel drops the Imperial fleet out of lightspeed just beyond Hoth. The rebels see them, put up a giant shield, and start evacuating. When Darth Vader gets off the phone with the Emperor, Captain Piett tattles, Vader flips his poo poo, and kills Ozzel.

Question is, what should've Ozzel done? If he dropped out of lightspeed farther out, the rebels couldn't have seen them? They already began evacuations after seeing the probe droid. Should Ozzel have dropped out of lightspace with dropships ready to go, and attacked immediately? Or did Vader just feel like killing Ozzel, no matter what?

There's also that explanation that Han has about jumping through stars and whatnot in A New Hope that suggests you have to be careful with moving objects and plotting courses when you're jumping around in hyperspace. Ozzel probably forgot that an entire fleet dropping into normal space would show up as something huge happening on Rebel scanners. So he jumped as close as he safely could instead of dropping out of the range of the scan and then coasting in.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Muppetjedi posted:

Have you asked the 501st guys? I'm sure there's someone who produces cheapish TIE stuff for members.

Also those sabers are sexy. I love the Graflex hilt.

Yeah, I go here to drool over everyone's custom painted, screen-accurate, widow's tear'd helmets. They all seem to be based in the US though, so it's mostly shipping costs across the pond that screws my dreams of going to the supermarket dressed as a tie pilot over.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

evobatman posted:

Thank you eBay!

My personal geeky Star Wars question is why Anakin's lightsaber changed between the time Obi-Wan picked it up and the time he gave it to Luke but as far as I can tell there's no official explanation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hazo posted:

My personal geeky Star Wars question is why Anakin's lightsaber changed between the time Obi-Wan picked it up and the time he gave it to Luke but as far as I can tell there's no official explanation.

The second lightsaber is actually a Yuuzhan Vong infiltrator.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hazo posted:

It was stolen from Obi-Wan's Kenobi's hut by a Jawa, and it ended up having wacky adventures all over Tattooine before Obi-Wan could retrieve it. The casing was damaged at some point, and Kenobi had to fix it afterward with replacement parts, explaining the slightly different appearance.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Follow_That_Lightsaber!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Powered Descent posted:

It was stolen from Obi-Wan's Kenobi's hut by a Jawa, and it ended up having wacky adventures all over Tattooine before Obi-Wan could retrieve it. The casing was damaged at some point, and Kenobi had to fix it afterward with replacement parts, explaining the slightly different appearance.

I often click a link on SA fully expecting the goat man or a party of lemons to greet me. It's different in the Star Wars thread. Instead of a gaping anus or orgy of old men blowing each other, I expect any ludicrous idea or explanation, followed by a link to Wookieepedia, to be true and some level of EU canon.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I fall for these fake links every time.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
How does time work in the Star Wars universe? Everyone talks about days, hours, and years, but won't measurement of each vary greatly by what planet you're on? Is there a canon explanation for this?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

zakharov posted:

How does time work in the Star Wars universe? Everyone talks about days, hours, and years, but won't measurement of each vary greatly by what planet you're on? Is there a canon explanation for this?

In-Universe Answer: Coruscant's size and rotation was used as the basis for the Galactic Standard Calendar, and hyperdrive eliminates all those relativity worries.

Real Answer: It just does, okay?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah well, there is local planetary time, the day/night cycle, the solar revolution year and all that. The one used in local daily life.

And then, as noted above, GalacST is CorusST, but that only matters for people starhopping. I guess the Holonet has got some kind of timekeeping signal in-built.

TIME!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

^^
It's funny, there's an official canonical calendar/time system based off the Coruscant day/year, with a year having 368 days divided into 10 months with five-day weeks or something really weird like that. But most authors just ignore that and use the typical 7-day, 12-month earth calendar.

Powered Descent posted:

This actually isn't too far off from not one, but two comics from Star Wars Tales. Admittedly only is about Luke's hand and not a lightsaber, but still:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Lightsaber
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Secret_Tales_of_Luke%27s_Hand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darth Freddy posted:

I fall for these fake links every time.

Me too. Every drat time.