Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fordan posted:

Looks like iTunes 10.5 (141) & iOS 5 have an issue with Audible audiobooks. If iTunes needs to sync an audiobook down to an iOS 5 device, it'll hang at the "determining tracks to sync" status until the device gives up on the sync, and no sync of any tracks occurs.

Still works fine talking to my iPod Classic.

And 10.5.1 fixed it; I have my audio books again. (Well, I had them in the Audible app, but I couldn't also sync with multiple devices.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

It seems like iTunes makes up some phantom changes for me to apply. Nothing has changed that I know of. Has anyone else had this happen?

Yes, it happens to me all the time. I'm pretty sure just leaving any part of the Devices section open, whether or not you're actively syncing, leads it to think some changes have been made. I figure it's some minor bug that will be fixed eventually; hasn't had any real negative impact for me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

iTunes play counts do not seem to update when iTunes Match is enable, even if I sync. Can anyone else confirm this is happening to them as well? This seems like such an obvious defect that I feel like I am missing something.

edit: if not obvious, I mean when I play something on my iPhone, the play isn't "registered" with iTunes, regardless of syncing.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 15, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does iTunes Match scan the actual files, or does it scan what is in your library? I was wondering if I could drop the music I have on my external HD into iTunes, unplug it, and have iTunes Match scan the songs even though the files can't be found.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
It scans the files. No files, no iTunes Match.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
What's the best way to scrobble from an iPhone? the Last.fm application on the PC doesn't seem to work that often.

Cadwalader
Jun 28, 2009

Bawk.
I'm dumb, read OP and now sorted.

Cadwalader fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 15, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

iTunes match sure is taking its sweet time. I have about 14,000 songs and signed up for the service around 3pm yesterday. The "Gathering Information" took around 3 hours and the "Matching Your Music" is less than 1/3rd of the way done even though it's been running all night (it's 6am right now).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Oh man, my itunes library on my mac has been well cared for with album art for just about everything in it.

My windows machine is basically 10 years of music with no album artwork for the most part since it wasn't really needed (since I don't sync that to my iphone). I also used an unconventional tagging method so for the most part autodownloading album art is out of the question without fixing that. I wonder how long I'll be able to ignore the obsessive impulse to allow things to continue like that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

So enabling iTunes Match on iOS devices disables the ability to use playlists on that device for anything except iTunes Match acceptable music. No podcasts, no video, no audiobooks. Well, you can use playlists on your desktop to control syncing the above media types, but as far as I can tell there's no way of actually interacting with that playlist. Or creating new ones on the device. So I paid Apple $25 to remove functionality. Woo.

(Actually, I should look at it as I paid Apple $25 to finally have DRM-free copies of the 500 or so songs I bought/redeemed/"discovered" 5 or 6 years ago from them that they never offered up on iTunes Plus. But I still want fully functional playlists.)

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I'm a little confused about match. The reason I bought it was so I could have it ID my songs and finally give me proper metadata for my library, but if I delete a song that is marked as "matched" and redownload it from icloud, it still doesn't have artwork or proper metadata.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sang- posted:

What's the best way to scrobble from an iPhone? the Last.fm application on the PC doesn't seem to work that often.

That's the best way sadly. I run into the same issue. Sometimes it will catch it and other times, it just blows it off. I haven't seen any kind of better fix myself.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Does anyone know how iTunes Match is designed to work with incrementing play counts? My smart playlists rely heavily on play counts and last played date so this is important.

If I listen to a song via Match on my laptop while at work, when/how will the play count and past played date on my desktop at home be updated?

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

HolySwissCheese posted:

Does anyone know how iTunes Match is designed to work with incrementing play counts? My smart playlists rely heavily on play counts and last played date so this is important.

If I listen to a song via Match on my laptop while at work, when/how will the play count and past played date on my desktop at home be updated?

No because they are playing from separate files.

zalmoxes posted:

I'm a little confused about match. The reason I bought it was so I could have it ID my songs and finally give me proper metadata for my library, but if I delete a song that is marked as "matched" and redownload it from icloud, it still doesn't have artwork or proper metadata.

From what I understand metadata is untouched. I read that there is a trick for album art where you have to download the new Match file, delete the album art, and then the file, and then download it again. Something like that. Maybe it will work for metadata as well.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fordan posted:

So enabling iTunes Match on iOS devices disables the ability to use playlists on that device for anything except iTunes Match acceptable music. No podcasts, no video, no audiobooks. Well, you can use playlists on your desktop to control syncing the above media types, but as far as I can tell there's no way of actually interacting with that playlist. Or creating new ones on the device. So I paid Apple $25 to remove functionality. Woo.

(Actually, I should look at it as I paid Apple $25 to finally have DRM-free copies of the 500 or so songs I bought/redeemed/"discovered" 5 or 6 years ago from them that they never offered up on iTunes Plus. But I still want fully functional playlists.)

Yeah no that's wrong; iTunes Match only replaces the music library, Podcasts, Audiobooks and Video still can be synced normally.

EDIT:

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 15, 2011

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Mithra6 posted:

But now, playcounts from listening on my iPhone get synced over, and playcounts are updated when I listen on another device at home via Home Sharing Streaming.

It seems like changing my iPhone library over to playing from iCloud would stop playcounts from updating even though the way it is set up now has that functionality?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Atasi posted:

Yeah no that's wrong; iTunes Match only replaces the music library, Podcasts, Audiobooks and Video still can be synced normally.

I'm not talking about content, I'm talking about playlists.

Podcasts/Audiobooks/Videos can be sync'ed normally, but playlists that include them cannot be sync'ed nor can they be created on the iOS device if they aren't "Matchable" which would be all podcasts and audiobooks and apparently some/most video. You can define a playlist under iTunes to control what content gets pushed to the device, but that playlist itself won't make it to the device.

If you try to create a playlist under Music with iTunes Match turned on, you lose access to the buttons that don't refer to music like "Podcast," "Audiobooks," & "iTunes U."

This mostly annoys me because I'm used to creating a playlist with a bunch of short newsy podcasts in the morning and dropping it in a speaker dock to listen to while I get ready.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fordan posted:

I'm not talking about content, I'm talking about playlists.

Podcasts/Audiobooks/Videos can be sync'ed normally, but playlists that include them cannot be sync'ed nor can they be created on the iOS device if they aren't "Matchable" which would be all podcasts and audiobooks and apparently some/most video. You can define a playlist under iTunes to control what content gets pushed to the device, but that playlist itself won't make it to the device.

If you try to create a playlist under Music with iTunes Match turned on, you lose access to the buttons that don't refer to music like "Podcast," "Audiobooks," & "iTunes U."

This mostly annoys me because I'm used to creating a playlist with a bunch of short newsy podcasts in the morning and dropping it in a speaker dock to listen to while I get ready.

Ah sorry I misunderstood you, I don't listen to enough podcasts to create playlists for them so I've never run into that, sorry again.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody know how to reset all of my matched songs with correct iTunes metadata and artwork?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just started messing around with match, and thought I'd post a trip report.

I have about 15000 songs in my library. Most of it is underground metal that I either ripped from CD or "discovered" on the internet. Only a very few albums were bought from the iTunes store. After match did its thing, I ended "matching" about 10000 of my songs and I'm currently in the process of uploading the other 5000.

After following the instructions in this article, I determined that I had 5700 matched tracks that were under 256kbs. I deleted them from my hard drive and am now downloading 5700 tracks from iTunes. That's worth the $25 right there.

I own an iPhone and a 160gb classic. I mostly use the classic when I'm driving in my car so I can have access to my entire library while on the road. I think the iPhone's functionality as an iPod is light years ahead of the classic, however, having access to all my music is the most important feature.

I've only barely played with matching on my iPhone, but so far the streaming seems to work decently. Is it possible to download a few albums ahead of time? Like say I'm about to hop on a flight, provided I have the space, can I download a few albums while I still have an internet connection? If so, this might be the iPod classic killer for me. If I can still easily access all my music, I might as well ditch the iPod and get a 64gb 4S (I'm still using a 3GS and I'm hoping to upgrade within the next month anyway).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So, not that I would, but I have a question for those who have Match.

What's stopping you from taking a blank or random mp3 of low bitrate, changing the ID3 tags, and then having it Match and then replace a song with a copy of the actual song from the iTunes store?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IUG posted:

So, not that I would, but I have a question for those who have Match.

What's stopping you from taking a blank or random mp3 of low bitrate, changing the ID3 tags, and then having it Match and then replace a song with a copy of the actual song from the iTunes store?
The matching isn't based on ID3 tags. I don't know exactly how it works, but it scans the files themselves somehow.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

The matching isn't based on ID3 tags. I don't know exactly how it works, but it scans the files themselves somehow.

That's what I was wondering. Probably the same magic way that Shazam works (I seriously don't understand that software, it's practically magic in my mind).

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Diabolik900 posted:

They're using the audio fingerprinting technology that Lala invented, that's why they bought them a couple of years ago.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mithra6 posted:

I will be surprised if this is the official rational. To an end-user it should appear to be the same file.

Also, if I delete a file from my local iTunes library, it leaves a slot for the "matched" 256K file in my library, along with a button to download it. Now, if I play that file on my iPhone, the iTunes library play count still does not update. If I download the 256k file in iTunes, and play it on my iPhone (truly the same file, since both came from iCloud), it still doesn't update the play count. I will be surprised if this isn't fixed (or changed, whatever) in the next iTunes update.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The service worked pretty well on my computer, but hoooooly poo poo do I regret turning Match on on my iPod Touch. It's a loving disaster. Slow, names are out of order (even worse than it was when I upgraded to iOS 5), duplicates galore....Jesus Christ is it bad.

e: Ooooookay...somehow iTunes Match was reversed. So all of the matches, all of the songs I uploaded are gone and I'm back at square 1.

I can see why this took an extra 2 weeks. Probably should have been more.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 16, 2011

Jammer Jones
Jul 11, 2002

Member of the Yomiko Readman Fanboy Army!
I had artwork for a albums local but when trying to access those tracks on my iPhone, well the artwork is gone. Is there a way to force update so itwill take the album art?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Anyone know how to get more information than just "Error" for tracks that show up as... well.. "Error?" It won't even upload them. Just says "Error." Argh.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

xarph posted:

Anyone know how to get more information than just "Error" for tracks that show up as... well.. "Error?" It won't even upload them. Just says "Error." Argh.

Looks like there's a problem with the store right now, wait an hour or so.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What's more annoying, having iTunes match only one song on an album or having it match everything BUT one song on an album? :sigh:

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

What's more annoying, having iTunes match only one song on an album or having it match everything BUT one song on an album? :sigh:

I've seen this mentioned several places. It seems that the most common occurrence of this is “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” from the Beatles' Abbey Road album. It seems that it is only matched properly if you bought the song from the itunes store directly. The tracks that don't match seem to be consistent at least, so there is just something funky going on on Apple's end.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I've seen this mentioned several places. It seems that the most common occurrence of this is “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” from the Beatles' Abbey Road album. It seems that it is only matched properly if you bought the song from the itunes store directly. The tracks that don't match seem to be consistent at least, so there is just something funky going on on Apple's end.

I really don't think it's that consistent.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Atasi posted:

Looks like there's a problem with the store right now, wait an hour or so.

Stop all the downloading people. :mad:

For serious any downloads fail 4 out of 5 times.

EDIT:

Holy crap this is annoying as poo poo. I get duplicate songs with different lengths, songs changing albums after downloading, etc.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 17, 2011

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

It's this. This is the most annoying:

I am assuming it is because there is not enough spectral data for it to analyze, but track 11 looks similar and it was uploaded.

Even then, wouldn't that fact there is both spectral data and a valid MP3 file format be enough?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

It's this. This is the most annoying:

I am assuming it is because there is not enough spectral data for it to analyze, but track 11 looks similar and it was uploaded.

Even then, wouldn't that fact there is both spectral data and a valid MP3 file format be enough?

Okay, I'm going off topic, but why would you want to keep a "song" that is a blip of audio for about a half a second, and then 3 seconds of silence, on your computer? You could easily delete that track and not lose the "listening experience" from not having it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am similarly sperging out at the one or two track wonders on otherwise completely matched albums

:argh: Steve would have made sure it worked :argh:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Why keep a copy of 4'33" on your computer? Just turn off the speakers and use a stopwatch.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

Okay, I'm going off topic, but why would you want to keep a "song" that is a blip of audio for about a half a second, and then 3 seconds of silence, on your computer? You could easily delete that track and not lose the "listening experience" from not having it.

Those songs aren't too different from anything else on the album, just shorter. May as well just delete the whole album at that point. I keep it around because, 1.) I would just end up reripping it at some other point, and 2.) I love most music by the guy behind Hanatarash, and I even think this album is a little funny. I don't listen to it very often, though (you may notice the play count is 0). I ripped all my CDs at the start of the year, and this was one of them, hence it's in iTunes.

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
Why keep a computer? Just use a turntable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Haggins posted:

iTunes match sure is taking its sweet time. I have about 14,000 songs and signed up for the service around 3pm yesterday. The "Gathering Information" took around 3 hours and the "Matching Your Music" is less than 1/3rd of the way done even though it's been running all night (it's 6am right now).
Mine appears to be looping through step 3 over and over. It's definitely 'finished' at least twice. I wonder if it's freaking out because a large portion of my library is Ogg Vorbis.

zalmoxes posted:

Yea, I want to transcode all my OGGs to MP3 and match / redownload them, but I'm not going to bother until somebody finds a way to utilise Apple's master copy of album artwork and ID3 tags.

I rather shortsightedly used to 1) Rip all my music to OGG and 2) Delete artwork from downloaded albums as it was unnecessary clutter in my pre-iOS device days. And yes, now I expect Apple to fix all these problems I created for $25, thank you very much!