Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SqueakovaPeep posted:

So I recently began birth control and unfortunately will also soon be losing coverage under my parents. I was hoping to hoard bc and buy as much as I can while I am still under insurance. Is there a way I can get more than usual under my insurance? Who do I need to convince? What could/should I say? And is this even possible?

Keep in mind birth control pills do expire, so if you find a way to hoard them the supply will probably only be good for so long.

Are there any clinics in your area that offer birth control? A lot of them keep at least some brands of pills in stock and will just give them to you directly instead of you having to get them from a pharmacy which can cut the cost. Plus they often have ways of making their services affordable to the uninsured like sliding scale fees and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

SqueakovaPeep posted:

So I recently began birth control and unfortunately will also soon be losing coverage under my parents. I was hoping to hoard bc and buy as much as I can while I am still under insurance. Is there a way I can get more than usual under my insurance? Who do I need to convince? What could/should I say? And is this even possible?

A couple of BC pills are available at Walmart/Target/etc. as cheap generics ($9), too. What are you taking?

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
I was prescribed beyaz and it was $75 with insurance, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to pay per month. I was thinking of calling my gyno and getting her to switch me to yaz so I could maybe get a generic as the only difference between the two was folic supplement. That's a good idea to go to planned parenthood or something when I am no longer covered.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
You could always lie and say you're on an extended cycle. I was on the pill for that, and they always gave me four packs at a time for just $10. It was pretty nice. Of course, this depends on your insurance.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

SqueakovaPeep posted:

I was prescribed beyaz and it was $75 with insurance, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to pay per month. I was thinking of calling my gyno and getting her to switch me to yaz so I could maybe get a generic as the only difference between the two was folic supplement. That's a good idea to go to planned parenthood or something when I am no longer covered.

Holy poo poo, $75 WITH insurance? Yeah I would consider trying another pill, ideally now while you still have access to your gyno.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

SqueakovaPeep posted:

The insurance most likely only pays for 1 pack a month or 3 packs for 3 months and will only pay for it a couple of days early. The only thing you can do is switch to a cheap b.c. and pay cash for it. You can also get birth control through the health department and they charge on a sliding scale and you usually get a year's worth at a time.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
So my period started today and my string on my Flexi T feels longer. Thoughts?

I'll be calling the Dr in the morning though. I hope it's just cause my cervix is more open, not cause my hell-cramps are birthing my IUD.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Peacock posted:

So my period started today and my string on my Flexi T feels longer. Thoughts?

I'll be calling the Dr in the morning though. I hope it's just cause my cervix is more open, not cause my hell-cramps are birthing my IUD.

That would make sense. Your cervix moves around a lot during your cycle, so it's totally possible that it's just lower down than previously and thus the strings feel longer.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Most days my IUD strings are completely enveloped by my cervix and impossible to feel, but sometimes they are up to 1cm or so long. So yeah, there is definitely a lot of variation in the cervix during your cycle and I would not stress about it unless the strings get really dramatically long or you are able to feel the plastic tip of the IUD.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
Do any ladies with NuvaRing have problems with keeping it in? Mine seems to poke out, sometimes even halfway, despite me shoving it as deep in my vag as possible :/ I really just don't want any babies maaannn

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Lanthanum posted:

Do any ladies with NuvaRing have problems with keeping it in? Mine seems to poke out, sometimes even halfway, despite me shoving it as deep in my vag as possible :/ I really just don't want any babies maaannn

A couple years back I had it and had zero problems. Earlier this year I tried it again and had this problem and it would not stay up in there which is why I got an IUD. I don't know why it wouldn't stay up there, but it was just too much hassle for me.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Lanthanum posted:

If this is happening a lot then you're going to need to switch. It can't work if it's not all the way in where it needs to be. That sucks if it's been working out other than that. :(

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Lanthanum posted:

If you're in the market for a long-term bc, check out Implanon. Not sure about the hormone comparison to the ring, but you definitely don't have to worry about it falling out! The insertion is way easier than what I hear about IUDs (and unlike the ring, you don't have to be digging around up in your business unless you choose to do so). Not to mention, if you decide to take it out early your body is back to normal right away.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm gonna continue with the Nuvaring discussion.

What's everyone's experience with it? Has it ever failed you? Does your partner pull out? Use condoms? Or straight up finishing inside you bareback? How long have you been using it?

I'm entering a relationship with a girl using it and we rather not have a child, but don't want to use condoms or pull out.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

I only have anecdotal experience from a dude friend: he said his wang got spots where it was "rubbed raw" from sexing while the ring was inside. I don't know if this is common, unique to their bodies, or why girl didn't remove her ring during sexy times.

From what I understand from this thread, you should be able to have 3 "bareback"/no-ring hours while girl is using that as her method.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

rizuhbull posted:

I'm gonna continue with the Nuvaring discussion.

What's everyone's experience with it? Has it ever failed you? Does your partner pull out? Use condoms? Or straight up finishing inside you bareback? How long have you been using it?

I'm entering a relationship with a girl using it and we rather not have a child, but don't want to use condoms or pull out.

I've used it for..5 years now I guess. Never had it fall out or do anything quirky. At first I insisted on condoms/pulling out from my own paranoia, but in the past few years I finally broke away from that and just let Nuvaring do its thing. My SO has never had problems with the ring being in during sex at all, but this varies from couple to couple.

e: lmfaoing at all the god drat cat avatars going on on this page

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

My SO has never had problems with the ring being in during sex at all, but this varies from couple to couple.

e: lmfaoing at all the god drat cat avatars going on on this page

fork bomb posted:

From what I understand from this thread, you should be able to have 3 "bareback"/no-ring hours while girl is using that as her method.
So are there any official instructions or consensus for keeping it in during sex or taking it out?

That's cuz everyone loves cats :3:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone does love cats, they are great. :colbert:

Go to the OP and look up the ring and/or google your girl's specific brand of ring. The info you find will tell you the facts. IIRC, she can remove it for up to 3 hours per day and have it still remain effective (a ring user please chime in here), however, if you don't find any difficulty leaving it in during intercourse I wouldn't mess with a good thing.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

fork bomb posted:

Everyone does love cats, they are great. :colbert:

Go to the OP and look up the ring and/or google your girl's specific brand of ring. The info you find will tell you the facts. IIRC, she can remove it for up to 3 hours per day and have it still remain effective (a ring user please chime in here), however, if you don't find any difficulty leaving it in during intercourse I wouldn't mess with a good thing.
It's wording implies it doesn't need to be taken out during sex. So I'm gonna go ahead and leave it in and enjoy our sexy time and not worry about pregnancy. Wish my luck :v:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I've only been on it for a couple of months but I think it depends on the genitals involved. My experience has been that it's not really noticeable during sex, YMMV, different positions have different nuisance levels. I haven't taken it out until the end of the month because taking it out, finding somewhere to put it, remembering you took it out, putting it back in, worrying if it's been in long enough seems like a lot of hassle when neither of us felt/were bothered by it. I don't feel the need to use other methods because I trust the effectiveness and the whole point of mucking myself about hormonally is to avoid condoms or jizzing on the sheets.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

fork bomb posted:

If you're in the market for a long-term bc, check out Implanon. Not sure about the hormone comparison to the ring, but you definitely don't have to worry about it falling out! The insertion is way easier than what I hear about IUDs (and unlike the ring, you don't have to be digging around up in your business unless you choose to do so). Not to mention, if you decide to take it out early your body is back to normal right away.

I had implanon, I bled for 4 months straight, and my hair was falling out :( I have an appt with PP tomorrow, I'm going back on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, I had no side effects, and was completely happy with it, I just hated taking a pill everyday!

About the pill, I'll be moving to a different time zone, so would I continue to take the pill at the same time in the previous, or would I be able to switch it immediately, or should I wait till I start a new pack to switch times?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lanthanum posted:

I had implanon, I bled for 4 months straight, and my hair was falling out :( I have an appt with PP tomorrow, I'm going back on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, I had no side effects, and was completely happy with it, I just hated taking a pill everyday!

About the pill, I'll be moving to a different time zone, so would I continue to take the pill at the same time in the previous, or would I be able to switch it immediately, or should I wait till I start a new pack to switch times?

What's the difference between the two timezones?

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

3 hours, When I was on the pill I took it at 7 am, which I will prob do again, so I don't really wanna take it at 10 am, as I will be working and won't have my phone/won't remember

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Re: Nuvaring, the dosage worked well for me but I had to take it out for sex. That got really tedious really quickly, especially cause of the three hour time limit. :qq:

So I am on microgestin (generic loestrin) now with no ill effect thus far. Looking into a Mirena soon though :)

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
All of the residual pain and spotting from my Mirena insertion on Friday subsided as of Monday night and I am feeling really good. I don't feel anything at all, which (in my opinion) is pretty awesome. If anyone else is thinking about switching to long-term birth control, I think it's definitely worth the five or so minutes of mild agony.

MsJoelBoxer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 16, 2011

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lanthanum posted:

3 hours, When I was on the pill I took it at 7 am, which I will prob do again, so I don't really wanna take it at 10 am, as I will be working and won't have my phone/won't remember

Ah, that's nothing. You can switch times immediately after changing timezones.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
Is this normal or the sign of a problem?

I currently take Lo-Ovral and while I started out ~3 years ago my period was like clockwork, with normal, rather heavy periods, over time they have gotten lighter and now just take longer to start. I used to have my period mid-week during the placebo pills. For the past few months I don't actually start bleeding until the day before or the day I actually start my next pack of pills. Last month, I actually skipped my period altogether (with the exception of a small drop of blood on a tampon one day). Currently I'm on a placebo week and I would really like to just bleed already. Sounds weird.

I don't know if I should consider switching to a new pill or what. I have no unpleasant side effects from Lo-Ovral, but I would like to not freak out every month as my period gets later and later. My gyn has assured me even a tiny smudge counts as your period when you're on the pill, but I still worry. I do have PCOS.

I'm kinda tired of being on the pill, but my Mirena insertion didn't go well (apparently my cervix is curved and facing backward, so the nurse practitioner couldn't get it in and suggested I need to go to their outpatient surgical place where they'd put me on a tipped-back table. I gave up). Implanon might be nice, but I started allergy injections this year and they use both arms. I don't know if that would be a problem. Even if the allergy serum didn't affect the implant, I can see me having to remind the nurse every single week not to jab the stick with the needle.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Diving Buttress posted:

I'm kinda tired of being on the pill, but my Mirena insertion didn't go well (apparently my cervix is curved and facing backward, so the nurse practitioner couldn't get it in and suggested I need to go to their outpatient surgical place where they'd put me on a tipped-back table. I gave up). Implanon might be nice, but I started allergy injections this year and they use both arms. I don't know if that would be a problem. Even if the allergy serum didn't affect the implant, I can see me having to remind the nurse every single week not to jab the stick with the needle.

I looked at the healthcare provider instructions for Implanon (did this before I got my Paragard last month, too, very useful). The diagram shows an insertion area "which is at the inner side of the non-dominant upper arm about 8–10 cm (3–4 inches) above the medial epicondyle of the humerus", i.e. 3"-4" above your elbow on the inside of your arm (http://www.implanon-usa.com/en/HCP/learn-about-it/insertion-and-removal/insertion-instructions/index.asp). Seems like it shouldn't interfere with injections at all, especially since women with Implanon get flu shots, Tdap boosters, etc.

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
Aha, I didn't know it was on the inside of your arm. Thanks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yup, it's basically right where it rubs against your breasts. I've had allergy shots and Implanon -- not at the same time, but even if you were Olsen-twin thin, I don't think they'd conflict. If a needle could go in one side of your arm and out the other, then maybe.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Diving Buttress posted:

I currently take Lo-Ovral and while I started out ~3 years ago my period was like clockwork, with normal, rather heavy periods, over time they have gotten lighter and now just take longer to start. I used to have my period mid-week during the placebo pills. For the past few months I don't actually start bleeding until the day before or the day I actually start my next pack of pills. Last month, I actually skipped my period altogether (with the exception of a small drop of blood on a tampon one day). Currently I'm on a placebo week and I would really like to just bleed already. Sounds weird.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in a situation a lot like yours. I've been on the pill for almost 3 years now and my period used to start like clockwork on Tuesday of the placebo week at first. Starting a few months ago, it's been starting a day later than usual and recently it's looking like it might shorten again by another day.

So yeah some people might think it's weird, but I just thought I'd throw it out there that I understand what you're talking about. It's really stressful to spend half of the week or more in suspense wondering if your period is just shorter or if it's not coming/you're pregnant.

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
I have 1 Mirena and adore it (and for what it's worth, I had the weird discharge issue for a while, but I guess it went away because I hadn't thought about it in months until I saw it mentioned here again). Anyway, I was at my annual exam appointment on Monday and my gyno told me that Mirena has been approved for up to seven years in some countries (somewhere in Europe - I'm in the US) so she lets her patients' experience drive when it's taken out. She's telling people to pay attention to their cycles, note if their periods start getting heavier, etc., so they don't have it taken out until the hormone supply is obviously getting low. Has anybody else heard that?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Diving Buttress posted:

I don't know if I should consider switching to a new pill or what. I have no unpleasant side effects from Lo-Ovral, but I would like to not freak out every month as my period gets later and later. My gyn has assured me even a tiny smudge counts as your period when you're on the pill, but I still worry. I do have PCOS.

This is my experience with Lo-Ovral. Would get my period every Tuesday, 3rd day of placebo, in the AM. I, too, am so tired of the freakouts in the months I have sex (LDR, so it doesn't happen a lot). I'm also worried my weight might make it less effective, too, so double worry whammy. This last period didn't start until the 6th, SIXTH, day of placebo (Friday). I was almost whipping out the pee stick because I actually saw my guy last month. I haven't missed one all together, but sometimes they are pretty damned light. Now, if I skip a placebo week, though, it's hell.

But since Lo-Ovral has worked for me for the last 8+ years in every respect, I won't ditch it until I can afford Mirena. I'll keep taking it at the same time everyday, keep some pee sticks handy, try to keep losing weight, and try not to stress.

Good Luck!

edit: I re read and saw you asked if this was a problem. I asked my gyno about it a year ago(ish), and she said it very well could be just a thing with the pill and with how long I've been on it. So little uterine lining there. Not much of a period. Though it seems like it would still start at the same time.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 17, 2011

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Juniper posted:

I have 1 Mirena and adore it (and for what it's worth, I had the weird discharge issue for a while, but I guess it went away because I hadn't thought about it in months until I saw it mentioned here again). Anyway, I was at my annual exam appointment on Monday and my gyno told me that Mirena has been approved for up to seven years in some countries (somewhere in Europe - I'm in the US) so she lets her patients' experience drive when it's taken out. She's telling people to pay attention to their cycles, note if their periods start getting heavier, etc., so they don't have it taken out until the hormone supply is obviously getting low. Has anybody else heard that?

I got my first one taken out two months shy of 5 years and replaced with another. By the time I got it out I was spotting on a regular basis (about every two months) after not having gotten any spotting or periods in quite some time. I was also getting a migraine (very hormonally influenced for me) every 28 days like clockwork, after not getting any period-related ones in years.

So from my experience I would definitely not have gone past 5 years and been comfortable with it.

I've heard the rumor about it being good for 7 years a couple of times before (years ago) but a quick google doesn't turn up anything I would rely on.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Juniper posted:

My sister's boss had a Mirena for just under five years (she had scheduled to take it out about a month after) and discovered she was about four months pregnant, then miscarried. D: That kind of put me off getting it at first, but I reasoned that it lost its effectiveness a little early because she is rather overweight, or she just got unlucky. But I definitely won't be keeping the same Mirena longer than 4.5 or 5 years.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

bobula posted:

My sister's boss had a Mirena for just under five years (she had scheduled to take it out about a month after) and discovered she was about four months pregnant, then miscarried. D: That kind of put me off getting it at first, but I reasoned that it lost its effectiveness a little early because she is rather overweight, or she just got unlucky. But I definitely won't be keeping the same Mirena longer than 4.5 or 5 years.

The time may have been a factor, but it is always possible to get pregnant with an IUD anytime (very, very unlikely though). They can fail for whatever reason like any other birth control method. Don't let it put you off though, the failure rate is something ridiculously small like .2% which is actually about the same as the failure rate for sterilization methods.

Speaking of which, I've been kind of tossing the idea of getting an IUD around lately since I'm paranoid as hell about pregnancy and the pill is making my migraines about a million times worse. I'm kind of leaning towards Mirena but no hormones sounds tempting too so Paragard is also on the table. So these questions go for either IUD so feel free to chime in regardless of which one you have. :

(1) How much does it generally cost without insurance? There are a few Planned Parenthood clinics nearby I could use, but I know you gotta pay for the device too so I was wondering about a ballpark figure in case I need to start an IUD savings fund. :v:

(2) I know the copper IUD tends to make periods worse for a while and I tend to get bad cramps anyway. Does the extra pain/heavy bleeding thing go away eventually or should I steer clear? And I guess for that matter, did Mirena have any side effects?

Sorry if this is one of those "Google it!" things, but I'm curious.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

NaturalLow posted:

(2) I know the copper IUD tends to make periods worse for a while and I tend to get bad cramps anyway. Does the extra pain/heavy bleeding thing go away eventually or should I steer clear? And I guess for that matter, did Mirena have any side effects?

(I'm not in the US, so can't help you on the first point)

For me, I think the extra bleeding/cramping went on for a bit longer than most people experience. IIRC, it was about a year to a year and a half when my periods started getting shorter again, and several months (maybe about 6?) before the cramping calmed down. Now I have a normal length period (Two or three days of moderate/heavy, a couple days of light/spotting) and the only time I get any cramps is the day before and the day after my period. They can be painful, but a ibuprofen kicks their rear end.

During the heavy bleeding phase, I'd bleed heavily for four-five days, and I'd have a few days of painful cramps (still some cramping even after extra strength ibuprofen). BUT, up to the point that I got my IUD in, my periods were always long and heavy like that. In fact, it's currently the lightest it's ever been, so I suspect a lot of that might have just been my age rather than the IUD.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

NaturalLow posted:

(1) How much does it generally cost without insurance? There are a few Planned Parenthood clinics nearby I could use, but I know you gotta pay for the device too so I was wondering about a ballpark figure in case I need to start an IUD savings fund. :v:

I can't say a hundred percent, but I believe the device itself is about $500. I got mine at PP and since California has an awesome family health program I got it totally free.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.

NaturalLow posted:

How much does it generally cost without insurance? There are a few Planned Parenthood clinics nearby I could use, but I know you gotta pay for the device too so I was wondering about a ballpark figure in case I need to start an IUD savings fund. :v:

I went to PP for my Mirena. I have health insurance, but they send me an "explanation of benefits" letter each time I make a claim. According to that, the cost billed to them was $964.00 for the device and procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Sorry if I'm annoying the thread but I won't rest easy unitl I know for sure + or -

So the symptoms (backache, fatigue, cramps, weird spotting, peeing a lot) are all making me think pregnancy is a possibility and all the tests are to be used when you have a missed period. I don't have the money right now to go get a piss test from a doctor (called the doctor 2 days ago and I'm in a jam and can't spend the money for a doctor visit). So, I don't really know what to do at this point. I don't want the BC to effect the pregnancy and if it turns out I am, I don't want complications. If I'm having a kid I want it to be as healthy as possible from the start. Should I stop taking it, and if I do stop taking it, will that start my period and if that period doesn't happen should I count that as my missed period or wait for a while until I was supposed to change to my placebo pills. Also apparently you can get your period if you are pregnant so how the gently caress do I know when I can start taking BC again and what my "missed period" would be. :psyduck: Christ, this is all so confusing.

• Locked thread