Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
*Tugs collar* Really worried this won't live up to your expectations now...

Ah well, finish what you start.

Something I didn't make clear was that John's main passion was drawing, absolutely obsessively drawing. Not competent drawing, at all, but he drew none-the-less.

At first his drawings were predominantly space themed. Robots on battle ships, space stations, bounty hunters, etc. While I was still actively hanging out with him, however, his subject matter began to change.

He'd suddenly really gotten into dragons. Again, his capability at drawing dragons was limited at best, but they quickly became the only thing he drew. It started off as gag drawings, one panel jokes featuring dragons and a hapless knight, but again, that slowly changed.

The dragons started becoming a lot more powerful and humanoid, turning from big lizards with wings to two-legged humanoids.

Alarm bells should have started ringing, but then he seemed to suddenly return to his space theme, featuring a new character. A lizard-like bounty hunter performing missions across the universe.

One day he did a drawing of this bounty hunter with hair. I rightly pointed out that lizards don't have hair, but he then floored me by saying he was half dragon/half wolf. I found such a concept to be ridiculous and told him so, leading to a major sulk on his part.

It was around this time I stopped hanging out as much with him, but I kept an eye on his deviantart account and saw he was drawing this... thing... in a much more fetishistic style.

I asked him why he was doing such odd drawings and then he dropped the bombshell. This thing was him. He was in fact a half dragon/half wolf thing trapped inside his human body.

So, he was a furry. poo poo, gently caress, arse. This was the point at which I was finishing school (he'd dropped out by this point to attend art college) and getting ready for uni. I basically lost all contact with him as a result.

A few months ago I decided to track him down online, where I discovered he had gone from train wreck to every train on the planet exploding into hellish fireballs.

To be continued again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Experto Crede posted:

To be continued again...

your posts are short enough that you can just write out the whole thing

Also your stories would be improved if you described him a little, right now he's just a guy you knew who did this thing and then this other thing

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Your story's pretty poo poo to be spaced out the way it is. Make each part more interesting/conclusive or just finish it in one post.

No Hephaestus
Aug 7, 2010

im fucking furious.

Spiffo posted:

your posts are short enough that you can just write out the whole thing

Also your stories would be improved if you described him a little, right now he's just a guy you knew who did this thing and then this other thing

Uglynoodles has RAISED THE BAR on stories about terrible anime people!

Tosca Cake
Oct 30, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

ahahaha everybody in Sweden or w/e knows the same crazy anime humans

I don't :(

Anyway, this thread is freaking gold, and every story posted here is as marvelous as frighting. Luckily, I don't personally know anyone as crazy as these people... well, except the guy who said he was Nomak (the evil guy from Blade II)all the time. He eventually grew out of it, but he caught a lot of flak in sixth or seventh grade. Now that i think about it, I'm sure that I was involved into that somehow...for shame.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Why is it always half wolf?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ograbme posted:

What the christ a Canadian monarchist?

Yeah. It's perhaps not so loving weird as some of the people posted about already, and I could go on about this guy, but it would turn into more of "this guy is a giant regressive racist dipshit" than a "look at this guy living in a fantasy world" thing.

I have known some anime weirdos, too. A girl in college who wore a foxtail, spiked collar, carried around a creepy patchwork stuffed animal, and glomped people regularly. She ate a lot of candy as I recall, and wouldn't shut up about Naruto. Or maybe One Piece. Maybe both. I honestly don't recall anymore. She was loving weird. And maybe a little hot. I never went far enough down that rabbit hole to find out if she was married to DarkAngemon or not, thank god.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Monolith. posted:

Now now, it's not always wolves. I knew a girl who would draw herself as a tiger, wear a tiger tail that she knitted herself to school, would only play D&D as a tiger person, and was making a webcomic about her tiger self falling in love with the guys from MegaTokyo.

She also swore she wasn't a furry. :v:

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I am looking forward to more puns like this in the clearly going-to-be-fascinating story of Eggman.

Pfft, if he's an Eggman, I'm a walrus. :rolleyes:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ I was actually thinking Robotnik Eggman

Monolith. posted:

I'd put it down to humans having a hundreds of millennia long companionship with them that includes not just us enjoying their friendship, but admiring their pack loyalty and hunting ability. All throughout history you find wolves, if not people donning their skins as sympathetic magic or using them directly to hunt, then as metaphors for and warnings of the bestial nature of man.
I imagine they're quite firmly rooted in the unconsciousness of our species.

Plus, as an animal they offer you the possibilities of the mystique of the Lone Wolf, the friendship of an always loyal Pack, and the (factually incorrect) power of the Alpha Wolf with which to hide from your actual sad internet nerd self.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 17, 2011

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I kind of feel the opposite. I find it more natural that they would be interested in the monarchy because they don't know what it's like having one.
(Germans, you can have our royal family back if you just ask for it)

Please, please take them before we end up stuck with Charles. PLEASE.

la_fausse_tortue
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, it's a horsebutt.
'Sup guys. I am still in contact with Denise. She just had a facebook status update that I feel I need to share. It was something along the lines of "I miss Japan. It feels like being homesick..."

It's probably for the better that I wasn't entirely sober when I read that.

Sorry for the silence.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Hey, you don't have to apologize for being absent. It means you have a life beyond the internet, and that is a Good Thing.

I can understand being homesick for a country that isn't your own. Some people feel more at home in cultures that they weren't born into. For example, a college friend once told me she wanted to move to France eventually, and a couple of kids at my high school wanted to make aliya when they grew up. One of the wonders of the modern world is that it's much easier to move to another place around the world.

I am 100% that the feelings that drove these assorted people to move elsewhere have absolutely no resemblance to whatever is driving Denise's "homesickness" for Japan.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
The saga continues? It's just difficult for me to wrap my mind around the concept of feeling homesick for a place one obviously doesn't belong. I mean, this is just an educated guess, but I can only imagine her habits and persona are even less acceptable in that culture than they are here in the west.

Edit: To be clear, I completely concur with Viola the Mad's assessment that a person can feel an intense connection to a land/culture not of their origin? but Denise's deal seems as though it must be significantly different.

burial fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 17, 2011

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Monolith. posted:

Because they're all "lone wolves" and all. They make their own way! Awooooo!

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Viola the Mad posted:

I am 100% that the feelings that drove these assorted people to move elsewhere have absolutely no resemblance to whatever is driving Denise's "homesickness" for Japan.

I am pretty sure it is the stores of nothing but YAOWEEZ she can go and sperg out in. I can picture her waddling into and stinking up a butler cafe as well.

e: Get well soon, Uglynoodles!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mongoose Face posted:

Holy hell. Lily is one of my friends on facebook and she nearly killed a very good friend of mine by making her ride an unbroken and abused horse.

I also like the story where she apparently got accepted into a university fashion design course, but quit because she was 'so advanced it was boring.' In reality, the teacher saw one of her cosplays, asked the hell how it was even held together and she quit from shame.

:stare:

I did not hear either of those stories - so of course now you're going to have to elaborate! :) (Though it's entirely possible we're talking about separate trainwrecks who both happen to be called Lily - are you in WA?)

Man, I thought my friends were unfairly villainising her and making her out to be far worse than she actually is, but now I'm not so sure.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 17, 2011

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
:stare:

Holy poo poo, I think I know of Lily too. The horse story sounded REALLY familiar, and I think it's because a friend of mine told it to me a while ago. Going to fact check tonight and see if I'm not just going crazy.

I had no idea we had so many goons in WA! And so many trainwrecks, too. :smith:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Sorry about the story being a bit, for want of a better word, poo poo last night. Writing sporadically between other stuff never gives good material. I shall sum him up and conclude it later though, because he really does go from what the christ to smith pretty quickly.

Soylent Grun
Nov 13, 2008

Good luck with your recovery, uglynoodles! Hope it all goes quick and easy for you.

I've been following this thread for about a week, and it's drudged up some memories of an friend I had in grade school. Her name was Sydney and her soulbond or past life self or whatever was Sailor Neptune. You couldn't call her Sydney though, as her name changed every other week. Ami, Courtney, and Olivia-Beth come to mind.
I have a lot of stories about her, but here's what I remember off the top of my head:

My Dead Sister Lives In My Head And Is Also My True Soul?
At one point, Sydney had gotten wind that before she was born, her poor mother had had a miscarriage. Immediately, Sydney declared that THE LOST BABY WAS HER TRUE SOUL and that her own real name was actually Courtney, not Sydney (BECAUSE 'COURTNEY' WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BABY'S NAME!!!!!!).

According to Sydney, when the fetus was miscarried years prior, the soul of the fetus came out and then I guess waited around a while and then dove into Sydney when her mother was pregnant with her and LIVED IN HER HEAD BESIDE HER ALL HER LIFE even though she'd only started talking about this a day before? I don't know, she could never quite get her story straight over whether she was this Courtney dead fetus girl or if she was Sydney with Courtney living in her head with her?

Anyway, Courtney was the Good Personality and Sydney was the Evil Personality, and she'd "switch" back and forth between the two personalities at the drop of a hat, like if her parents told her that no she couldn't go to the anime store today or something similar, she'd turn into EVIL SYDNEY and huff and stomp out of the room.

We Are All Sailor Moons
Sydney had also gotten it in her head that she was the reincarnation of Sailor Neptune from the Sailor Moon series and she'd met others online who were the other characters and WE HAD TO BAND TOGETHER TO PROTECT THE PRINCESS AND YOU ARE OUR SAILOR MERCURY, SOYLENT GRUN. I was 11 or 12 or so at the time, and I went along with it, not thinking much of it. I actually wound up talking to some of the other sailor scouts online, and I think they said they were going to do a Sailor Teleport to all get us in the same physical room, which of course never worked.

Sydney said that as sailor scouts we had to "fight evil" and this more or less translated to me having to sit in Sydney's room while she pretended to rapidly switch personalities between Sydney, Courtney, and now Sailor Neptune.

She also claimed that Naoko, the woman who made the Sailor Moon comic originally, had intended for there to be an extra season with all new villains and plot and poo poo but never got around to writing it. When I asked her how she knew this, she said that Sailor Neptune was astrally telling her the details of this unwritten saga in her head.

She also regularly did that weird phone thing that someone mentioned earlier in the thread in that she'd call me and then just sit there in silence for 10 minutes at a time until I told her I really had other poo poo to do. I eventually stopped picking up the phone entirely, and she kept calling me for literally 2 years every single day. I didn't pick up once. I wish I hadn't been such a dumbshit kid and just outright told her to gently caress off at the time.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
This thread has so much :stare: it's terrifying. I don't know whether to be depressed that there are so many similar trainwrecks, or to laugh madly.

I'll post a story or two of my own once I get home from work.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

la_fausse_tortue posted:

'Sup guys. I am still in contact with Denise. She just had a facebook status update that I feel I need to share. It was something along the lines of "I miss Japan. It feels like being homesick..."

It's probably for the better that I wasn't entirely sober when I read that.

Sorry for the silence.

That was likely for the best, yes. You and Noodles truly had the patience of saints to live that life.

Qb Naith
Apr 17, 2007
I am a quail.
I vaguely knew a girl like this in one of my Drama classes in secondary school. One afternoon, I'd just been given a picture a friend had drawn for me - it was of a character from a book I liked and my friend was a genuinely decent artist and, yeah, she'd drawn me a picture and that was cool.

So I went into Drama class holding this picture. Weird girl spots it, compliments it, I tell her my friend drew it, so Weird Girl says 'Want to see something I've drawn?' and pulls out her sketch book. I say ok, cos you know, art is cool. The first picture she shows me is of a dragon - not too badly drawn, but it's just a dragon, pretty standard. I make an appreciative noise. She turns the page. On this page, there are two dragons. They are having very graphic sex with each other. I sorta made a horrified noise, stared at her for a second and then walked away. She never tried to show me any art again, thank god.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Soylent Grun posted:

My Dead Sister Lives In My Head And Is Also My True Soul?
At one point, Sydney had gotten wind that before she was born, her poor mother had had a miscarriage. Immediately, Sydney declared that THE LOST BABY WAS HER TRUE SOUL and that her own real name was actually Courtney, not Sydney (BECAUSE 'COURTNEY' WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BABY'S NAME!!!!!!).

Holy poo poo. How did her parents feel about her talking about the miscarriage like that?

KittenmittenKameha
Sep 8, 2011

Stottie Kyek posted:

Holy poo poo. How did her parents feel about her talking about the miscarriage like that?
I loving second this question. This was going through my head the whole time.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Soylent Grun posted:

She also regularly did that weird phone thing that someone mentioned earlier in the thread in that she'd call me and then just sit there in silence for 10 minutes at a time until I told her I really had other poo poo to do. I eventually stopped picking up the phone entirely, and she kept calling me for literally 2 years every single day. I didn't pick up once. I wish I hadn't been such a dumbshit kid and just outright told her to gently caress off at the time.

I have a friend from high school who still does this. I quit talking to her at one point because all she would do is talk about how she was smarter and deeper than all of the other egotistical, spoiled brats at our high school, then try to bait me into arguments about whether or not life is pointless or how selfish all people are. She would refuse to talk about anything else or do anything else, besides rant about how much people sucked for not wanting to hang out with her.

I would invite her to things with people that I didn't think would piss her off--for example, she loves Harry Potter and she's very judgmental of people who aren't well-read, so I'd invite her to get-togethers with other people at our high school that liked reading fantasy novels and she'd always just corner me and start rambling about all the sheeple in the library.

She still calls me on a daily or weekly basis and, as lovely as this sounds, I don't even pick up the phone because I felt so burned out the last time I talked to her, and I know she's just going to try to bait me into another argument if I pick up the phone.

EDIT: The repeated mention of creepers picking up the phone and being quiet reminds me of my training to volunteer at a crisis hotline. We were told to expect callers who just want to pick up the phone and be silent. We're advised to tell callers who request that to call back when they're ready to talk about something, since staying on the line in silence doesn't help them. It's just a temporary comfort without them actually engaging or working through anything.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 18, 2011

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Honestly there wasn't much you guys could have done with the calls, so don't feel bad about it. The thing with stalkers/crazy people is even if you tell them to gently caress off/not contact you again, this will just encourage them further. The message they get won't be "oh, they don't want me to contact them, I guess I will stop," it will be "it takes 50 phone calls for them to pay attention to me! I'll keep calling!"

VanessaMH
Apr 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KittenmittenKameha posted:

I loving second this question. This was going through my head the whole time.

I am thirding this question. As soon as I read that it made me absolutely sick. I don't have any kids, but I had a miscarriage a bit over a year ago. It was one of the worst things I have ever had to go through and it hurts a bit to this day. If I had a child and they tried to pull that on me I honestly don't know what I would do.

I can't imagine some other person trying to warp my suffering to fit their own needs on a whim like that. Especially not my own kid.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
How did they act before they learned? Did they always feel something was weird and the last puzzle piece fell into place, or was it "SUDDENLY I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS"?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Man, compared to the poo poo in here, the wild-eyed kid in my high school friend group who insisted on being called "Inferno" seems remarkably tame by comparison.

(We usually obliged, because he was jacked muscle-wise and we were never quite sure if he was about to go postal. So just to be safe, Inferno it was.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solomonic posted:

Man, compared to the poo poo in here, the wild-eyed kid in my high school friend group who insisted on being called "Inferno" seems remarkably tame by comparison.

(We usually obliged, because he was jacked muscle-wise and we were never quite sure if he was about to go postal. So just to be safe, Inferno it was.)

Did he wear those silk shirts with flames on them? Please say he did.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Jacked and wanting to be called Inferno makes me believe he wanted to be an :black101:American Gladiator :black101:

Soylent Grun
Nov 13, 2008

Stottie Kyek posted:

Honestly she was such a handful of insane that I think they really didn't react much to it at all? Or at least, they didn't react to it anywhere I could see. I imagine her mother was extremely upset by it behind closed doors.

Sydney would just throw these fits in front of them, and I think that eventually they were just so worn out by it that after a while they didn't have the energy to try and discipline her anymore.
One of her favorite games was Screaming At The Top Of Her Lungs In A Public Place. The final time I hung out with her (when we were both around 16 or 17), I was with her and her parents in a crowded diner and she started screaming and screaming, and I looked over at her parents and they both looked so exhausted.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Install Gentoo posted:

Personally, I hope he wore a costume to appear like a fire ant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Honestly, it's because the entire anime industry treats horribly broken people as their target audience. You could say all entertainment is escapism, but anime centres around particularly unhealthy escapism wherein people's flaws and social awkwardness is solved by some kind of magic intervention crap, or for the latter actually just what makes them a suuper kyoot and special person.

While this is true for a subset of anime, most are just aimed at children/young teens (up to the age of maybe 15). College age (or older) people who are big fans of stuff like Naruto or DBZ aren't strange because the shows they watch are hosed up; they're strange because they obsess over children's cartoons. The shows themselves are pretty inoffensive.

Most anime fans of this nature are in denial over the fact that the vast majority of anime is, in fact, aimed at children/teens. They confuse melodrama with deep/"mature" subject matter. There seems to be this myth that most adults in Japan watch anime, and when fans travel to Japan and do nothing but visit tourist sites and Akihabara this myth is perpetuated.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Personally, I hope he wore a costume to appear like a fire ant.

As grand marshal of the town's Pride parade.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Install Gentoo posted:

Of course. Flames and dragons and grinning skulls wearing crowns, complimented by pants with impossibly wide ankles and more belts and straps attached to them than that bondage dude in Soul Calibur.

Don't get me wrong though, compared to the crazy stories I've read in this thread he was really tame. Most of his awkwardness was limited to telling us about how he found secret things in Final Fantasy VII and giving me possibly the worst introduction to Dungeons & Dragons that a person can have (rape gangs were involved. in the game, I mean, not in real life), there was no abuse or pet-killing or anything like that.

Sloober posted:

Jacked and wanting to be called Inferno makes me believe he wanted to be an :black101:American Gladiator :black101:

...Maybe I should watch the reboot sometime, just in case. :tinfoil:

Great thread, by the way, to uglynoodles and everybody else. It's a hell of a read.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
You should post that story in the TG worst experiences thread, we'd appreciate it.

With a themed costume to go with his nickname he sounds like he made himself into a Final Fantasy party member. Specifically, FFXIII, where half the cast is named after random objects or concepts.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Experto Crede: Ask me about being best friends with an Egg

When I first read this headline I was marginally afraid I helped.. create the guy you were friends with.

When I was about 11, my mom babysat this 6 year old kid with severe ADHD.
Me and my sisters would play with him for a while until he started having an episode of screaming in a high pitched voice and running in circles or doing whatever ADHD poo poo he did.

I don't recall how we came up with it, but to try to get him to calm down and shut up, we'd say "Hey, *kids name* it's time for you to be the egg!" to which he would excitedly agree to, and would lay down on the floor and curl up into a little ball.
After a while he would ask "Can I hatch yet?" and depending on whether or not we figured he'd be calm enough to play with us again we'd answer either yes or no.

His name was not John though, so I guess I am safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Morzox posted:

How do you not figure it out by ACCIDENT?

I remember finding out while trying to shimmy up some poles as a kid because I was a little monkey back then.

... No, wait, that makes it sound worse.

My point is, it's not that drat hard.

I found it out by accident at...19. Nothing had ever felt pleasurable down there before.

• Locked thread