Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Mizufusion posted:

I'm looking for some decently priced wool, too. I'm making my boyfriend a hat and want to try nalbinding, but the technique requires you to pull the entire working yarn through each stitch, so you need to use shorter yarns that can be spliced together. Single-ply wool seems to be a good choice, but I don't have any in the right colors.

Malabrigo is one of my favorite single ply, and is fairly well-priced. I'm currently using Tosh light merino which is a single ply that joins very well, and there's a worsted version. That's probably a bit pricier, but the she's got a pretty good range of colors and the skeins have nice yardage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Phishi posted:

Malabrigo is one of my favorite single ply, and is fairly well-priced. I'm currently using Tosh light merino which is a single ply that joins very well, and there's a worsted version. That's probably a bit pricier, but the she's got a pretty good range of colors and the skeins have nice yardage.

I love Malabrigo but to call it "well priced" is... where the hell are you getting it that it would be cheap to make seven pairs of slippers out of it, felted? :psyduck: And Tosh? Are you rolling in money? :gonk:

Paton's is about the cheapest mass produced feltable wool I can think of besides Knitpicks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Pookah posted:

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before, but dammit, it's a long thread :mad:

What's the best place you guys have found for buying yarn online for a reasonable price?

I want to make the norwegian felted slippers for christmas prezzies but am finding it difficult to get 100% wool yarn that is not superwash (and the wool I have come across is upwards of 7 euro a ball :(

http://www.blacksheepwools.com/

I also use Readicut. But Blacksheep had an amazing stand at the knitting and stitching show I went to a month ago, everything was so so cheap (but you had to buy a whole pack of 10).

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I love Malabrigo but to call it "well priced" is... where the hell are you getting it that it would be cheap to make seven pairs of slippers out of it, felted? :psyduck: And Tosh? Are you rolling in money? :gonk:

Paton's is about the cheapest mass produced feltable wool I can think of besides Knitpicks.

I've been buying Tosh like crazy since I first used it. I think I'm at the point where I'll buy colors I wouldn't normally wear just because its so nice to work with.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee

madlilnerd posted:

I also use Readicut. But Blacksheep had an amazing stand at the knitting and stitching show I went to a month ago, everything was so so cheap (but you had to buy a whole pack of 10).

Everything is so cheap! Thanks for sharing this :)

Even though I have just bought quite a lot of sock yarn I am now trying to justify getting a bit more. Maybe I should finish up some socks first though.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

madlilnerd posted:

I'm not arguing the awesomeness, just the "reasonable price" part. Both brands are pretty amazing.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Well for that maybe not so much. If it were me I'd stick with Knitpicks too. But for a hat made from an archaic method of "knitting"? Yes I'd recommend it as reasonable for Mizufusion's problem. Tho as I said the Tosh would be on the upper side and may be too rich for some, the colors are fantastic, and she mentioned having a hard time finding good colors \/:shobon:\/

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Agh! Choice paralysis! Thank you for all your suggestions.. I'm probably going to head to Michael's or Joann sometime this week and start there since I'm impatient and want my yarn NOW. One brand I was thinking of is Lamb's Pride by Brown Sheep. I have a couple small balls of it that a friend destashed on me, and I really like the feel of it. I'm working on some swatches right now to see if it's going to be too bulky or not.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

madlilnerd posted:

Oooh, they do look good, thanks!

Now, new question; is this kind of thing http://www.blacksheepwools.com/acatalog/Pure_Wool_Dk.html feltable?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I think so. Most wool that isn't makes a point of labeling itself 'superwash', and the care instructions also make it look like it's feltable.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

Agh! Choice paralysis! Thank you for all your suggestions.. I'm probably going to head to Michael's or Joann sometime this week and start there since I'm impatient and want my yarn NOW. One brand I was thinking of is Lamb's Pride by Brown Sheep. I have a couple small balls of it that a friend destashed on me, and I really like the feel of it. I'm working on some swatches right now to see if it's going to be too bulky or not.

Just keep in mind that Lamb's Pride can shed a lot and some people find it really itchy. Mostly that it sheds a lot because of the mohair, though. Also the chick who taught me how to knit would endlessly bitch about how itchy it was and how she could never wear it as a garment and it was only good for felting. Of course this is all opinion but I could see how some people may think that!

However, I will personally attest to it felting incredibly well.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Oooh, they do look good, thanks!

Now, new question; is this kind of thing http://www.blacksheepwools.com/acatalog/Pure_Wool_Dk.html feltable?

I'm a doofus, they have a whole section devoted to felting wool, and at very reasonable prices - gonna bag a selection today (plus some cross stitch patterns) thanks again for the link, it's awesome :D

Edit: Got 1 each of the lightweight felting wools and a really nice cross stitch kit on sale - awesome :D

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 15, 2011

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Just keep in mind that Lamb's Pride can shed a lot and some people find it really itchy. Mostly that it sheds a lot because of the mohair, though. Also the chick who taught me how to knit would endlessly bitch about how itchy it was and how she could never wear it as a garment and it was only good for felting. Of course this is all opinion but I could see how some people may think that!

Hm, good to know. I did have to stop for a bit because it was irritating the pad of my thumb a little. It has about the right thickness though, and I was able to pick up the Oslo stitch pretty quickly.. except as I worked it, my tension got tighter and the sample I'm making got wonky. I have enough remnants left to make a hat, but after a few rows it got too tight. I think I accidentally decreased a couple stitches too, because sometimes it's hard to tell what to pick up. If it wasn't invented first, I'd say nalbinding is the bastard child of knit and crochet.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Speaking of destash, my friend gave all her one-ply, does anyone have any good felting projects? I'm not really interested in bowls or slippers. If I had more colors I'd make like a felted painting but I don't :P

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Question: I was trying out this pattern:

http://knitandstitchblog.co.uk/?cat=22

(first on the page)

And was thinking I could knit a christmas tree if I modify it slightly so that in rows 11 and 12 instead of casting on 10 stitches in each row, I cast on 14 the first time round and 18 the second time, to make the triangle shapes increase to make a tree shape - what you you knitters think?

( Reason is my cousin is spending a year in New York, and she'll be away from home for christmas for the first time ever, so I thought a knitted christmas tree with darned on decorations would be a sweet reminder of home and very portable :3: )

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think that is a great idea! I would alter it even more though - see how those shapes have the decreases in the middle? Well, you might not be able to see but anyway. If you cast on 18 say, and decrease every other row just inside the edge stitches it'll be more straight across the bottom while still a triangle shape.

EDIT: or you could do something like these too: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-christmas-tree

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/purled-christmas-tree

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 15, 2011

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
wrong thread

67 and still making love fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 15, 2011

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I think that is a great idea! I would alter it even more though - see how those shapes have the decreases in the middle? Well, you might not be able to see but anyway. If you cast on 18 say, and decrease every other row just inside the edge stitches it'll be more straight across the bottom while still a triangle shape.

EDIT: or you could do something like these too: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-christmas-tree

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/purled-christmas-tree

Thanks v. much for the hint - I'll try it out in the next few days and post my results :D
(the double-pointed needle, in-the-round patterns are a wee bit beyond me yet)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Fooley posted:

I've been buying Tosh like crazy since I first used it. I think I'm at the point where I'll buy colors I wouldn't normally wear just because its so nice to work with.

God the light merino is so gorgeous I've been drooling over it for ages but goodness knows I cannot afford it. Sigh.

DeeZee
Jun 9, 2004
Super bumble bee
completed socks!

Just bog standard stockinette socks in some Regia 4 ply, nothing special except for the fact I did it entirely patternless and not once did I have to look anything up! Not even to remind myself if a k2tog leans to the left or right.

I feel comforted knowing that if society was to break down, and the internet was lost and I had to burn all my knitting books for warmth I could still make a pair of socks.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
/\nice one! So cool you could remember the pattern! I can remember stitch patterns if I've been doing them for a long time, but I forget them as soon as the garment is finished. I don't think I could ever remember a whole knitting pattern (but I can recite Delia Smith's fairy cake recipe by heart).

I made the Razor's Edge Poncho from Stitch N Bitch Nation which is done in Lamb's Pride bulky. Everything got covered in a fine layer of turquoise fluff (imagine having a blue cat in your house), but I didn't find it unpleasant to work with. It didn't make my hands break out in a rash or anything. I probably wouldn't wear it personally. I made it for a male friend who two years later came out of the closet.

My gaydar is so broken that I can't pick up on men asking me to knit them turquoise women's ponchos.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

My gaydar is so broken that I can't pick up on men asking me to knit them turquoise women's ponchos.

lol

My 'first kiss' was a peck on the lips from a friend of mine...who did it to blot his lipstick. I...was pretty much just excited about the kiss.

God, what a moron I was.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

How in the ever loving gently caress do I knit with pom pom yarn because my poo poo is going retarded every time I try to increase. And I can't not do a kfb because frankly there are no bars to pick up. ARRRRGH

stupid baby blanket

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

How in the ever loving gently caress do I knit with pom pom yarn because my poo poo is going retarded every time I try to increase. And I can't not do a kfb because frankly there are no bars to pick up. ARRRRGH

stupid baby blanket

Oh god, I hate that about pompom yarn. I got a ton from Wandering Knitter and so far have only managed to make rectangles with it.

I did see a cute pattern in a knitting magazine that uses it with other yarns, though. If you're interested I can send you the pattern, or it's available to purchase on Rav: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bobble-blanket

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

Oh god, I hate that about pompom yarn. I got a ton from Wandering Knitter and so far have only managed to make rectangles with it.

I did see a cute pattern in a knitting magazine that uses it with other yarns, though. If you're interested I can send you the pattern, or it's available to purchase on Rav: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bobble-blanket

Holy poo poo that one is cuter than the one I'm doing.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pompom-cuddle-blanket

But now that I've got the hang of it it's not so bad.going pretty quickly and mostly I wanted it to be the squishiest blanket this babby will ever have! :buddy:

Also I want the other one!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh man, that looks squishy and amazing. I used some of my pompom yarn to make a little throw pillow and it's awesome as gently caress.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ok I completed the Squishiest Blanket but who here can tell me a good way to weave in the yarn (because frankly you can't really weave it)? The only recommendation I have so far is to stitch the yarn to itself with a needle and thread, which I'm prepared to do but I'm wondering if there's any other way. Thanks!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

420 knit with tosh er'ry day also break tables

Its much darker than it looks. Pattern

And I just saw the designer gave me a favorite :)

Fooley fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 17, 2011

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Vulvarine posted:

I'm taking up moebius knitting and I was wondering if anybody knows of a good reversible lace pattern that doesn't curl. Doesn't have to be identical on both sides, but I'd like something attractive. The closest I've found is Old Shale Ridges (similar to feather and fan, but with some purl rows). Also any other attractive reversible stitch patterns, especially ones that some out springy and soft (seed stitch is no good).

Pookah posted:

This cable knit scarf is reversible and pretty simple to do:

http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm

That palindrome pattern is also very springy and soft! It's the biggest, cushiest scarf I've ever owned. I'm also a loose knitter though...

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Ok I completed the Squishiest Blanket but who here can tell me a good way to weave in the yarn (because frankly you can't really weave it)? The only recommendation I have so far is to stitch the yarn to itself with a needle and thread, which I'm prepared to do but I'm wondering if there's any other way. Thanks!

When I made my pillow I was able to weave the ends in, making sure the pompoms sit between stitches, just like when you're knitting with it. I don't know if I can explain better than that.. v:shobon:v

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

When I made my pillow I was able to weave the ends in, making sure the pompoms sit between stitches, just like when you're knitting with it. I don't know if I can explain better than that.. v:shobon:v

Seems a lot easier when you have a side to hide it on. Since it's in rows on both sides I'm afraid that'd stick out like crazy. :(

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Seems a lot easier when you have a side to hide it on. Since it's in rows on both sides I'm afraid that'd stick out like crazy. :(

I used two skeins for my pillow, and yes, the ends stick out a bit on the inside, but other than that it's not noticeable. In your pattern it looks like there's a tassel on the corners; is there enough yarn left for something like that? If you make a tassel with the yarn tails you won't have to worry about weaving them in because they're decorative! :downs:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Mizufusion posted:

I used two skeins for my pillow, and yes, the ends stick out a bit on the inside, but other than that it's not noticeable. In your pattern it looks like there's a tassel on the corners; is there enough yarn left for something like that? If you make a tassel with the yarn tails you won't have to worry about weaving them in because they're decorative! :downs:

I have enough yarn left for this but frankly pom pom tassels is ugly!

Aw hell I'll probably end up stitching this up today, got too busy at work and home last night. LAUNDRY!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

You know, I love lace. I love handspun. I love knitting lace with handspun.

But jeez is it hard to really feel like I'm making progress when I don't even finish a full two rows during a thirty minute show. :(

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
I made an ugly thing out of that ugly pompom yarn, and when I had to sew in the ends, I trimmed down the pompoms on the tail until they were thin enough they could be sewn in normally.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Alright this seems like a good place for me to ask my question. My girlfriend of roughly 3 months will be celebrating our first Christmas together (actually my first Christmas ever since I'm Jewish). I've been trying to come up with a good gift that is at least somewhat personal for her. I found out a few weeks ago that she's recently taken up knitting again, and she was making something (a scarf I think) last night while we watched a movie.

From what I could gather she did some knitting when she was younger and took it up again about 6 months ago. From my probably not so subtle questions she has 4 different types of needles (or whatever the stick things are called) and obviously quite a bit of yarn. Can anyone suggest an appropriate gift for her that has to do with knitting? Are there popular books out there with patterns or something? Is there some gear that might be useful for her to get? Any fun kinds of yarn you wouldn't normally find in a store? I don't have a ton of money to spend on this (poor college student), so keep that in mind.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Alright this seems like a good place for me to ask my question. My girlfriend of roughly 3 months will be celebrating our first Christmas together (actually my first Christmas ever since I'm Jewish). I've been trying to come up with a good gift that is at least somewhat personal for her. I found out a few weeks ago that she's recently taken up knitting again, and she was making something (a scarf I think) last night while we watched a movie.

From what I could gather she did some knitting when she was younger and took it up again about 6 months ago. From my probably not so subtle questions she has 4 different types of needles (or whatever the stick things are called) and obviously quite a bit of yarn. Can anyone suggest an appropriate gift for her that has to do with knitting? Are there popular books out there with patterns or something? Is there some gear that might be useful for her to get? Any fun kinds of yarn you wouldn't normally find in a store? I don't have a ton of money to spend on this (poor college student), so keep that in mind.

It's tricky because depending how into it she is, she'll have a preferred type of needle (wood, plastic, metal, bamboo), and yarn is another thing too. Maybe a gift cert to a local yarn shop?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Fooley posted:

It's tricky because depending how into it she is, she'll have a preferred type of needle (wood, plastic, metal, bamboo), and yarn is another thing too. Maybe a gift cert to a local yarn shop?

How much will be enough to actually let her buy something? I'll search around for some local shops tomorrow.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 20, 2011

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Super Dude posted:

How much will be enough to actually let her buy something?

$20-30 would probably be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Or if you know her tastes in terms of colours and patterns, you could buy her a knitting bag to store her current project in.