Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mewse posted:

i signed up but they don't have western boxing so i'm going to log my workouts as "hiphop dancing"

I have no qualms about giving that props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Signed up, gladly padding my first weeks log with my triathlon last weekend, heh

mewse posted:

i signed up but they don't have western boxing so i'm going to log my workouts as "hiphop dancing"

in case that's not a joke they do have just "boxing" under sports

if it is a joke I am dumb and you can ignore me.

Thoguh posted:

I have no qualms about giving that props.

I go to a mostly black school, it's my last semester next year, so gonna take that class. Trip (hop) report coming.

mewse
May 2, 2006

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

in case that's not a joke they do have just "boxing" under sports

oh. thanks. i just saw "kickboxing" under martial arts and figured boxing was missing

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
It really is a good site, if only to log your workouts. Much less complicated and annoying than most and the point thing while completely meaningless still somehow help motivate you to log your stuff. The social aspect also helps somehow.

pulphero
Sep 22, 2005
I got no powers
Swordfighitng goon checking in. I am primary a rapier fighter or a Rapierist as we like to be called :) I spend at least 1 session a week on longsword. In longsword we allow throws, trips and pommel strikes.

If I can line up Longpoint with a visit to my in-laws I'll be there.

Here are some videos form my club. http://www.youtube.com/user/swordpals

If you wanted to try western martial arts out there is a club and school locator.
http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

A flying piece of posted:

Here are my three fights... critique them please, even if you don't really know anything about swords. General rules: full body, except back of the head, were targets... a clean hit is a point, a double hit (a hit at about the same time) was thrown out and an after blow (a hit in response to a received hit that is performed within one step, half a second, one tempo or whatever you want to call it) that negates the other guy's point. Blows to the head would preclude afterblows.

Starting on the left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfRXj2yEbk

On the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviBcGFVKpY

On the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMFT5YxLwT0

That looks awesome. In your second fight that looked like quite a vicious hit on you @ 1:30.

And then from the sword and buckler finals, this is an American (who lives in Norway) fighting a guy who doesn't do HEMA at all.. he does some type of stick fighting and JSA. I'm not really sure how he got to the final fight, but the HEMA girl beat him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bh9RHfOnI

Edit: 'Not really sure how he got to the finals' isn't to put down stick fighting or JSA, but rather watching the way he fights in that video. He barely uses the buckler to defend himself and, at least earlier on in the tournament, a lot of his hits were with the flat rather than edge of the sword.

hahaha the way he waves the weapon annoyingly is kind of a FMA tip off. I googled him and low and behold - he does FMA and...shinobijutzu aka ninjitsu weapons (which might explain the awkward footwork and square stance). His opponent looked way more finessed.

edit: posting this again because it's what I think of every time medieval weapons come up:
:black101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTB1GzHJw :black101:

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 17, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bangkero posted:

I googled him and low and behold - he does FMA and...shinobijutzu aka ninjitsu weapons (which might explain the awkward footwork and square stance). His opponent looked way more finessed.

Isn't his triangle stepping an FMA thing? Maybe it isn't proper triangle stepping.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Wait are you someone I'd know?

Possibly, but doubtful. I was at last year's Dijon, Fightcamp the year before that--one of the Dutch. Bright red gambeson? Would have been at Swordfish except the plane fare turned out a bit higher than anticipated. Do plan on being at this year's Dijon/Fightcamp/Hammaborg though, evidently goon words must be had.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't his triangle stepping an FMA thing? Maybe it isn't proper triangle stepping.

yeah, the triangles are there but the stepping is...awkward. The first thing I noticed is that he crosses his feet quite a bit. And at times he leans his body way way off center when he strikes and after striking. Super awkward.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Bangkero posted:

yeah, the triangles are there but the stepping is...awkward. The first thing I noticed is that he crosses his feet quite a bit. And at times he leans his body way way off center when he strikes and after striking. Super awkward.

This sounds like his Ninja cross training.

In other embarrassing yet fun news: I tore my pants straight down the middle yesterday picking up something I dropped. Kettle Bells and Capoeira giving me Dat rear end.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Ok, someone offer some more insight on this debate:

Sex before a fight or not?

I've heard both arguments, and I'm never sure which one is the best.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Guilty posted:

I don't think there's really any argument. Save your energy and your hormones for when you need them. Have you ever seen a guy who just got laid trying to fight? He just doesn't have the same aggression.

It seems to me that's like asking if a hungry man is a better hunter than a well-fed one.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Yeah no one's saying get laid and then jump in the ring...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Guilty posted:

If you're talking about the night before, as long as you don't let it affect your sleep and diet schedules there's no scientific reason it should affect a fight. Mentally I guess it depends on the fighter.

Same day is probably a bad idea.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Guilty posted:

it really depends on people... I know my friends who played high level competitive hockey had different opinions on the issue. Some said they performed better when they had sex before (like not 5 minutes before because that can be exhausting) because they thought more clearly/were more calm/focused others thought it was a bad idea to have sex because they were more aggressive/intense if they didn't have sex before.

Personally I don't give a gently caress and have never noticed sex affecting me one way or the other when it comes to performing in competitive sports.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Kumo Jr. posted:

It seems to me that's like asking if a hungry man is a better hunter than a well-fed one.

I don't see this as a question with a trivial answer BRO. A hungry dude is gonna be weaker and slower.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My educated opinion is that it's up to the person.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
probably depends on the fighter's sexual orientation too

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
I just never get laid, so it isn't a concern.

Dedication

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So I sprained my ring finger on my right hand. Judo is gonna be EXTRA fun now.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Did I just get a concussion?

Tonight at judo practice I tried to block an uchimata but failed. Ended up falling on my head which was under the other guy shoulder which supported all his weight.

For a millisecond, all was black with "stars" (like when you get up too fast). I got up feeling a little scared that I just had a concussion but all was fine. Didn't feel different, no headache, 100% ok vision, no memory loss, nothing was feeling different at all.

It's been about 1 hour since it happened and I drove home feeling fine if not a little worried. Right now I feel fine too and everything seems normal to me.

What's the verdict? And should I take a week off or something?

-

swmmrmanshen posted:

So I sprained my ring finger on my right hand. Judo is gonna be EXTRA fun now.

Tape that motherfucker! I sprained my thumb and now 3 weeks later it's still the most annoying thing ever. Tape it for twice as long as you think you should. Then tape it a couple weeks more. Sprained fingers love to come back to haunt you at the worst time ever.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 18, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It's been sprained for a while. I've just been in denial. Like most other annoying injures (TURF TOE COUGH COUGH) there's nothing to do but tape and suck it up

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Guilty posted:

The unexpected could happen at any time, I say gently caress every chance you get, the fight will work itself out.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

I don't see this as a question with a trivial answer BRO. A hungry dude is gonna be weaker and slower.

Unless they're African, in which case they might have to run across a desert just to catch breakfast. :)

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

MalleusDei posted:

Isn't there a goon who trains at Marcelo Alonso's place in Seattle?

I've been trying to get a hold of the gym (I've tried email and phone), and I'm wondering if I should just show up in person, as I haven't heard back. The reason I ask is the website says to call or email to schedule a trial lesson, and I don't want to step on any toes.

Yo, I train down south in Tukwila @ ringdemon, if it was me you were thinking of. Come to ringdemon- we beat all of marcelo's guys anyways :clint:

imtheism fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 18, 2011

Guilty
May 3, 2003

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

The unexpected could happen at any time, I say gently caress every chance you get, the fight will work itself out.

Good point

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Re: Fitocracy do you guys have preferred or handy methods of logging your exercises? I just slap everything into one stretch but the comments have to be REALLY short and come out badly formatted <- ahh you can just add "sets" for each activity

also how is practice, drilling, sparring and just for fun any different

edit: i'll just trust "tap dancing" just about covers it

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 18, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ligur posted:

not the same amount of point. Just for fun would be well relaxed practice where you just dick around. Practice would be the most regular class ever (I tend to use it for warm-ups). Drilling when you well... Do drills most of the class and sparring for when you spar/roll most of the class.

I like to break down the class in 2-3 blocks to represent better what we did.

Thoguh posted:

I use "practice" to cover warm ups and poo poo like that, "drills" for... drills, and "sparring" for randori. I don't bother breaking out the stretches and individual warm up stuff. If I do 50 crunch and 50 push ups during warm ups I still just log it under "practice".

Same here for the warm-up stuff

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 18, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think you're ok. I'm not a doctor but if you didn't lose consciousness and have no lingering affects, it's probably alright to keep on training.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ligur posted:

Re: Fitocracy do you guys have preferred or handy methods of logging your exercises? I just slap everything into one stretch but the comments have to be REALLY short and come out badly formatted <- ahh you can just add "sets" for each activity

edit: i'll just trust "tap dancing" just about covers it

I use "practice" to cover warm ups and poo poo like that, "drills" for... drills, and "sparring" for randori. I don't bother breaking out the stretches and individual warm up stuff. If I do 50 crunch and 50 push ups during warm ups I still just log it under "practice".

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I think you're ok. I'm not a doctor but if you didn't lose consciousness and have no lingering affects, it's probably alright to keep on training.

K thanks, that's how I see it too, but thought some people probably had a few concussion here before and could give me opinions based on their experiences. It was kind of scary!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

K thanks, that's how I see it too, but thought some people probably had a few concussion here before and could give me opinions based on their experiences. It was kind of scary!

I'm pretty certain I had a mild concussion my first week of bjj. I was like temporarily dyslexic and couldn't follow a movie plot or conversation the night after going down hard to a sweep. I was ok the next morning and didn't even think about it until all that concussion stuff in the nfl hit the news a few years later. The only problem is sometimes I repeat myself.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 18, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'm pretty certain I had a mild concussion my first week of bjj. I was like temporarily dyslexic and couldn't follow a movie plot or conversation the night after going down hard to a sweep. I was ok the next morning and didn't even think about it until all that concussion stuff in the nfl hit the news a few years later. The only preborn if stiffness I retireS hisself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Mini-concussions can become an issue over time. This is a reason I always tell myself I need to start using a mouthguard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Mini-concussions can become an issue over time. This is a reason I always tell myself I need to start using a mouthguard.

get a dentist mouthguard

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

imtheism posted:

Yo, I train down south in Tukwila @ ringdemon, if it was me you were thinking of. Come to ringdemon- we beat all of marcelo's guys anyways :clint:

I've heard good things about ringdemon! Unfortunately, living and working in Seattle doesn't make it an easy trip to Tukwila, so I don't think that will work for me. I guess I can look forward to you beating me in the future :).

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I'm pretty certain I had a mild concussion my first week of bjj.

I might have gotten a mild concussion in my first tournament when a guy in the absolutes, with more than 50 pounds on me threw me on my head partially outside the mat.
I didn't even consider it a concussion until someone on this forum mentioned that a second of visual white noise and completely muted sound usually indicates a concussion. I immediatedly recovered and kept fighting, though :v:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I met a boxer today - though he was an amateur at most. I proclaimed "let us box" to which he responded "Yes". I said "Good". He beat me up from close so I change range, at which point he punched me with an overhand right that had me staggering and stunned, which is perfectly laudable, and then he caught me with another one because I learn nothing, and that cut my left eyebrow and eyelid.

No boxing for me for a while before my face heals and the wounds close.

Was fun albeit the results, I haven't really done Boxe Anglaise (hands only) since the summer and was a little wary about it. But never figured I'd get beat up THIS bad or have my temple busted or eyelids slashed into ribbons.

If anyone is thinking "wtf, you shouldn't cut people up, during sparring" it was my fault, I was too much into the "hands + distance + angle + kick" -Savate thing and we used to be pretty evenly matched with this guy, say, a year ago (meaning he'd bruise me and win on points for sure but not just land flush like today).

Good day anyway.

Re: Fitocracy posters: thanks for the tips guys, parring, practice etc. Because on that site, all that stuff is not quite instantly obvious (or then I'm just a moron).

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ligur, is this you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcm2O4GrcE0#t=16m26s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I'm pretty certain I had a mild concussion my first week of bjj. I was like temporarily dyslexic and couldn't follow a movie plot or conversation the night after going down hard to a sweep. I was ok the next morning and didn't even think about it until all that concussion stuff in the nfl hit the news a few years later. The only preborn if stiffness I retireS hisself.

Heh.

• Locked thread