Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Does anyone know of a piece of music called something like "Vides Descarta"? Google returns nothing so spelling is probably incorrect - phonetically it's along the lines of "vee-dus day-car-ta".

It was chosen as music for a funeral, if that gives any clue (tone, mood etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Sometimes that is exactly the case. Quite often they are not, or there's too much background noise, in which case they do ADR, which is literally the actors lip-synching with themselves in a quiet environment.

Thank you.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My ipod cable and XM radio were both stolen out of my car a month ago, and since then I've been listening almost exclusively to NPR during my commute. And I can't help but notice and wonder...

Why do all men on NPR sound like Ira Glass?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I recently update Firefox, and now my address bar doesn't seem to do anything. Like, if I hit Enter or click on the blue arrow that signifies "go this loving website", nothing happens. The Google search bar works fine, and so do my bookmarks. How do I fix this obnoxious problem?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

My ipod cable and XM radio were both stolen out of my car a month ago, and since then I've been listening almost exclusively to NPR during my commute. And I can't help but notice and wonder...

Why do all men on NPR sound like Ira Glass?
Because Ira Glass is the only real man on NPR :colbert:

But seriously -- you think he sounds like Bob "ouwekes" Oakes? Or Tom Ashbrook? :raise:

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I'm releasing a World War 2 themed Android game in about an hour. I just realized that I might have to exclude Germany as a country since there are swastikas on some of the space ships (that's right, space Nazis). Do I really need to exclude Germany? Google is failing me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm basically running around and doing all of the ~business stuff~ for my friend's club promotion/night out planning company, and want to contact warner brothers about maybe doing some marketing for one of their films that's coming out soon. How would I contact the film marketing department?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gotly posted:

I'm releasing a World War 2 themed Android game in about an hour. I just realized that I might have to exclude Germany as a country since there are swastikas on some of the space ships (that's right, space Nazis). Do I really need to exclude Germany? Google is failing me.

You're going to be extradited and sentenced to life in prison in Germany.

But really, yeah your game would be illegal there with swastikas intact and you can't sell it in Germany.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gotly posted:

You can't sell it in Germany, but you're not gonna get in trouble or anything. At worst Germany complains to Google and they disable the download in Germany.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Yeah I'm just releasing it for free, but I'll disable Germany anyway.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

change my name posted:

I'm basically running around and doing all of the ~business stuff~ for my friend's club promotion/night out planning company, and want to contact warner brothers about maybe doing some marketing for one of their films that's coming out soon. How would I contact the film marketing department?

It's intentionally very difficult to get in touch with them because they pretty much don't want to talk to you about this. Your best bet is to look up what advertising/marketing firm they've hired to market the film and get in touch with them.

Either way, they are not going to give a poo poo if there's going to be less than a thousand people at your parties.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Before the advent of communication satellites, how did TV stations all over the country play live content? Like how would a TV station in Denver broadcast a presidential speech live?

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Before the advent of communication satellites, how did TV stations all over the country play live content? Like how would a TV station in Denver broadcast a presidential speech live?

Repeaters, or more correctly, broadcast relay: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station They are still very much in use today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SlightButSteady posted:

Repeaters, or more correctly, broadcast relay: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_relay_station They are still very much in use today.

And you should mention, that for the most part they just plain avoided it. It was quite common to only simulcast a program east of the Mississippi, and then have stations west of that receive the programs pre-recorded.

Also you're incorrect there. They didn't use broadcast-frequency broadcast relays to get cross country, there was nowhere near enough coverage. Instead, television networks had leased lines and microwave-frequency relays from AT&T to pipe live television content through, quite expensive too. The article you linked refers to the practice of having two or more individual towers in the same general are carrrying the same feed.

att posted:

Broadband begins

Still higher calling volume, and the beginning of work on television, fueled AT&T’s invention of the first broadband transmission medium, broadband copper coaxial cable. AT&T installed its first experimental coaxial cable between New York and Philadelphia in 1936. The first “regular” installation connected Minneapolis, Minn., and Stevens Point, Wis., in 1941. This L1 coaxial-cable system could carry 480 telephone conversations or one television program. Subsequent coaxial-cable systems had much higher capacity. The L5 systems of the 1970s could carry 132,000 calls or more than 200 television programs.
Microwave radio relay

Coaxial-cable systems developed in tandem with microwave radio relay, a broadband system by which conversations and television traveled via radio along a series of towers. The first such system, with seven towers on seven hilltops, connected New York and Boston in 1947. This system carried 2,400 conversations; later systems carried as many as 19,200.

Microwave relay had lower construction and maintenance costs than coaxial cable, particularly across difficult terrain. By the 1970s, radio-relay systems carried 70 percent of AT&T’s voice and 95 percent of its television traffic.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Aggro posted:

I recently update Firefox, and now my address bar doesn't seem to do anything. Like, if I hit Enter or click on the blue arrow that signifies "go this loving website", nothing happens. The Google search bar works fine, and so do my bookmarks. How do I fix this obnoxious problem?

Start Firefox in safe mode and try resetting the toolbars or user preferences. Be warned, obviously this is going to undo all your customizations and you'll have to manually fix those again.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
In some old-timey restaurants or bars, you'll see a painting on the wall that'll have a streetlamp or a car in it, and there'll be a tiny lightbulb embedded in the artwork that'll actually light up the lamp or car light or whatever. What's this type of artwork/decoration called? Do they sell those online anywhere?

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
I have been absolutely scouring the Internet for whatever this amazing music is in this particular Immortals spot that aired during last week's episode of South Park. If anyone can figure it out I'd love to know, it sounds like a dark electonic, NIN type band if you have knowledge in that area. Here is a link to the miserable quality video I recorded of the spot with my phone. I'm really hoping this isn't an in house work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J53UZcefI1M

EDIT: And yeah, cross-posting and searching AdTunes as well...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

I have been absolutely scouring the Internet for whatever this amazing music is in this particular Immortals spot that aired during last week's episode of South Park. If anyone can figure it out I'd love to know, it sounds like a dark electonic, NIN type band if you have knowledge in that area. Here is a link to the miserable quality video I recorded of the spot with my phone. I'm really hoping this isn't an in house work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J53UZcefI1M

EDIT: And yeah, cross-posting and searching AdTunes as well...
E. I am retarded, somehow my music started playing the same time I clicked your link.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 16, 2011

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
How medically likely is it for a young lady to gain 4-5" in height after age 17?

I just about swear I bumped into someone from my past earlier, she'd be my age, about 33 now but she was 5'2" and who I saw tonight was 5'6-7 (no heels).

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I found an iPod (the mp3 kind, not the phone kind) and I want to return it to the owner. My friend tells me that you can contact apple for help with that but from looking around on the site they seem to go through a lot of trouble not to list an email address anywhere and the phone numbers listed seem to be very specifically for either pre-order or technical support. Plus I don't want to be put on hold for 15 minutes and pay phone costs.

Anyone know what I should do? The gadget subforum didn't seem to have a thread for questions like this so I thought I'd post it here.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Namarrgon posted:

I found an iPod (the mp3 kind, not the phone kind) and I want to return it to the owner. My friend tells me that you can contact apple for help with that but from looking around on the site they seem to go through a lot of trouble not to list an email address anywhere and the phone numbers listed seem to be very specifically for either pre-order or technical support. Plus I don't want to be put on hold for 15 minutes and pay phone costs.

Anyone know what I should do? The gadget subforum didn't seem to have a thread for questions like this so I thought I'd post it here.

Put up some flyers in the area where you found it. Have the person call/email you and identify it by naming a few songs.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Namarrgon posted:

When you plug in iPods, sometimes people have them named after themselves (e.g. "So-and-So's iPod"). Make sure you tell it not to sync, check that, and run it through Facebook.

Or put up fliers, as Mister Kingdom suggested.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I write the schedule for some delivery drivers at work and since we can never get all of them in the same place at once to discuss who works when it was coordinated through a facebook group, things were going fine until two of them started fighting about having thanksgiving weekend off and who's time off is more important.

I want to know if there is another easy online solution for posting a schedule and handling time off requests where I am the only one that see's them, some one mentioned google docs to me when I told them about it but im not exactly sure how that works

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Namarrgon posted:

Fixed it. Apparently you can only send emails to Apple if you have a registered Apple product (which I don't) so a goon kindly offered to contact them (ended up calling anyway) and they send me the original owner's email address.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What's happened to the Kindle Keyboard? They seem to have disappeared from the UK Amazon site completely, as well as all other sellers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Another one for the plant people, what's this:

Blowmonkey
Jan 9, 2005

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
I have a question about a story. I think I may have first read about it here on the forums. It was a story about a house, it was told through a series of email correspondence. Then it evolved into message board postings, or something like that, you kind of had to hunt down the information yourself at some point.

It was a horror story, or supernatural at least. The house changed on the inside and weird things happened. I remember at some point someone went searching to learn more and located the same house at different geographical location.

Itis NOT house of leaves. But it was kind of similar.

I remember the story was never concluded. Supposedly the guy who wrote it was trying to sell it as a screenplay or something, but it never materialized.

For some reason I think the name was daneis, or something similar, but can't find it again.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Dionaea House?

Blowmonkey
Jan 9, 2005

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Dionaea House?

drat! I love you guys.

That's it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

John Redcorn posted:

How medically likely is it for a young lady to gain 4-5" in height after age 17?

I just about swear I bumped into someone from my past earlier, she'd be my age, about 33 now but she was 5'2" and who I saw tonight was 5'6-7 (no heels).

I guess it's not impossible, but it's pretty unlikely. Most girls finish puberty (and the growth spurts that go with it) by around the age of 15-17 or so. Even if she managed to keep growing later, I doubt she'd gain as much as 4-5".

This is of course assuming she doesn't have some kind of growth disorder or something.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

John Redcorn posted:

As noted above, very unlikely -- the mean change in height at age 16 is less than half a centimeter, as can seen in the data from this study

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant

dokmo posted:

As noted above, very unlikely -- the mean change in height at age 16 is less than half a centimeter, as can seen in the data from this study

Thanks you all, I was pretty sure this was the case but it was just so shocking to see face to face who I thought I was seeing. It was not a person I really want to make any sort of contact with, anyone else and I'm just non-goony enough to actually speak and "hey are you so and so..".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is there any convention in English or other languages that is the female analog to Junior?

Like if Sam's son is also named Sam, he'd be Sam Jr.
What if Sam and and his wife Leah had a daughter named Leah? Is there any suffix that can be used like Junior? Would it still be Junior? Juniora? :)

The momentum of Western culture seem generally patriarchal enough that there probably isn't anything, but I was curious.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kimbo305 posted:

Is there any convention in English or other languages that is the female analog to Junior?

"Junior" is gender-neutral, I think. It's just commonly used for males.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've always thought girls would get embellishments to their name, in the way you would make a masculine name into a feminine one:

Julia -> Juliette -> Julietta

Etc.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

John Redcorn posted:

You got shorter.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I got an eMail saying there was a lawsuit against Netflix and Walmart over some Antitrust poo poo, and that I'm entitled to a gift car from Walmart for having been a Netflix customer. It seems pretty legit because there's stuff on the internet about it. Anyone else got this? Is it legit?

https://onlinedvdclass.com/Home.aspx

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't know if that site is legit, but I did find this article that talks about Wal-Mart settling a class action suit a few months ago about netflix.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=35908db1-3cb3-4d67-92e8-d87a935ff47d

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
What's it called when an author, typically an amateurish one, writes themselves into their story as a protagonist? Some kind of woman's name... I think.

I was thinking of Mary Sue.

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

King Carnivore posted:

What's it called when an author, typically an amateurish one, writes themselves into their story as a protagonist? Some kind of woman's name... I think.

Mary Sue?