Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Man, getting those achievements for 400,000 and 500,000 in arcade are gonna be ridiculous... Only 50 people on the leaderboards have 400k+ score

e: did they nerf meter gain in general??

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Doesn't the problem lie in that it's easier to counter a one-trick pony, even if it is a really good trick?

How often in these games do we see characters who actually utilize versatility?

Generally, it seems like most characters have one good strategy, and an okay one if they run into a bad matchup. In 90% of matches, people stick to the best trick/strat, so the others are not all that meaningful.

I think there are some 'one tricks' out there that have no real counters, at least to where they are at a serious disadvantage. 'Getting in'/'landing first hits' is one.

Even in one character FG's like SSF4, characters like Viper can just really have one dominant strategy/trick, and she is great. In mvc3 you get three guys, so I'm even more happy to have a one trick pony.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Cat Machine posted:

e: did they nerf meter gain in general??

Yes, by "10%".

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky Sp00ky is streaming a tournament, Wednesday Night Fights on http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive later.

e; and Justin is playing a little kid now.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cinroth posted:

Yes, by "10%".
It feels like so much more. I want more Vergil swords :(

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Just wanted to clear something up about Nova's DLC costume. I keep seeing it referenced as his classic costume, but it's actually his new costume introduced in Point One.

The helmet is the wrong color on the DLC outfit, but otherwise it's a match.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Iron Fist's super wall bounce into a second super? Wow, okay.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Tae posted:

Iron Fist's super wall bounce into a second super? Wow, okay.

You can link a "SPIRIT OF THE DRAGON" super at the last second after wall bounce super, I'm surprised he could get another special in there though, that seems tougher.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kinda worried about this game, less than 20k on leaderboards it seems. Hope it sold more on PS3, I laughed at sub-100 ranked players in Asia.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

kater posted:

Kinda worried about this game, less than 20k on leaderboards it seems. Hope it sold more on PS3, I laughed at sub-100 ranked players in Asia.
It only came out yesterday, in what has to be the most insane fortnight of video game releases in the past decade. It's a niche budget title, I think it's gonna do okay.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Iron Man is basically a new character at this point.

His air dashes have loving startup time, 10 frames according to the guide. So with the removal of the double jump and no way to air-dash cancel, his standard air combos are DOA. They buffed his fly-unfly speed to make up for this, but I'm bad at that. Gotta relearn all those combos...

His air dash has startup time, but its also the fastest in the game, particularly with x-factor. You're supposed to super-jump and air-dash downwards in what amounts to the world's craziest tri-jump, using his godly air H and S to stuff people. In practice nobody wants to stand still enough for it to work, so you have to use assists to lock them down for you if you want consistent offense.

He went from being Magneto-lite to something a tad more unique, but I don't know whether that helps him or hurts him.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Vengarr posted:

Iron Man is basically a new character at this point.

His air dashes have loving startup time, 10 frames according to the guide. So with the removal of the double jump and no way to air-dash cancel, his standard air combos are DOA. They buffed his fly-unfly speed to make up for this, but I'm bad at that. Gotta relearn all those combos...

His air dash has startup time, but its also the fastest in the game, particularly with x-factor. You're supposed to super-jump and air-dash downwards in what amounts to the world's craziest tri-jump, using his godly air H and S to stuff people. In practice nobody wants to stand still enough for it to work, so you have to use assists to lock them down for you if you want consistent offense.

He went from being Magneto-lite to something a tad more unique, but I don't know whether that helps him or hurts him.

I'm having a real tough time opening people up with Iron Man now, but he goes into flight mode so quick that pulling off air combos is much easier at least.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I like that Iron Man can re launch without an assist using OTG smart bombs > cr.m > S. Still, all I used to do was triangle dash with j.m and now that's useless. You can't even square dash effectively anymore, the only dash that seems to have no start up is straight up or down.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Crusher posted:

I like that Iron Man can re launch without an assist using OTG smart bombs > cr.m > S. Still, all I used to do was triangle dash with j.m and now that's useless. You can't even square dash effectively anymore, the only dash that seems to have no start up is straight up or down.

The guide seems to think that jumping straight up, airdashing straight up, turning on flight mode and dropping smart bombs is somehow a good harassment tactic. And it would be, if you could time it to the exact moment the opponent's joystick breaks. Anyone else is going to dash behind you, superjump, and airthrow your dopey rear end. Smart Bombs are still not useful except as an OTG and to mix-up your tri-jumps.

You CAN still tri-jump, but you have to do it out of a super jump. His down-forward air-dash seems to get faster as he moves, so it's more viable than you might think--but less than you would hope.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Ximum posted:

Just wanted to clear something up about Nova's DLC costume. I keep seeing it referenced as his classic costume, but it's actually his new costume introduced in Point One.

The helmet is the wrong color on the DLC outfit, but otherwise it's a match.

That just tells me Nova went back to basics style wise

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Haggar thinks Iron Fist is a luchadore. :rolleyes:

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Online is similar to MVC3 so far. Also I had a Chris just crouch and shoot my Hawkeye to death. Chris is hecka good now.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Prone shot was godlike in day 1 vanilla, too.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Maybe this is just me but I fail to see how Wesker was changed in any way. Still cant ever seem to do anything against him :v:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Waverhouse posted:

Maybe this is just me but I fail to see how Wesker was changed in any way. Still cant ever seem to do anything against him :v:

He was made better.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Is it just me or do characters sometime, like, fall slower? I've been trying to DHC from frank's cart hyper to various other ones and sometime I miss because they're in slow motion or something.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Waverhouse posted:

You can jump around without worrying about getting tagged by a Samurai Edge xx Phantom Move L into full combo...

Oh! And Rhino Charge is vulnerable during its startup frames (everything before the hyper flash). So you can no longer throw it out when your opponent is pressing, see if it hits, and DHC out of it doesn't.

Everything else was buffs.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I don't understand. Wesker buff? Why would they do this.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Waverhouse posted:

Need to saturate every team with him

So does anything else think that inputs are a little wonky? My roommate and I are having some recurring input problems with our vanilla teams that we didn't have before

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
has anyone experimented with any goon lobbies???

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
I'm glad mashing is really easy, you only really need to mash one button at a relatively fast pace to get the maximum number of hits. It could have been a LOT worse. That said, is there a specific window that you should be mashing during, or does it vary from character to character?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Waverhouse posted:

They are loving morons. Seriously, gently caress Wesker. gently caress Dante and Virgil too. Teleporting behind you in a corner is poo poo.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Xuuel posted:

I'm glad mashing is really easy, you only really need to mash one button at a relatively fast pace to get the maximum number of hits. It could have been a LOT worse. That said, is there a specific window that you should be mashing during, or does it vary from character to character?

Basically, any time the super is doing damage, you should be hitting. Hitting an attack button at the same time the hyper hits will give you an extra hit.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

McJogurt posted:

Online is similar to MVC3 so far. Also I had a Chris just crouch and shoot my Hawkeye to death. Chris is hecka good now.

He can also cancel is regular gunshot into a magnum shot in the air which can catch a lot of people off guard right now.

Somebody host some goon lobbies :3

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Doorselfin posted:

He can also cancel is regular gunshot into a magnum shot in the air which can catch a lot of people off guard right now.

Somebody host some goon lobbies :3

I'm down!

Metamorphosis
Apr 4, 2008

Hey, handsome

cams posted:

They are loving morons. Seriously, gently caress Wesker. gently caress Dante and Virgil too. Teleporting behind you in a corner is poo poo.

Foolishness, cams. Foolishness.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, it's really not that hard at all to get to Frank level 5 in a single combo with a Nemesis THC and a good multi-hitting assist like Chun or Dormammu. As much as I figured he'd be the lamest character in the roster by far before the game came out, Frank may actually be my favorite character right now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The Rokstar posted:

Wow, it's really not that hard at all to get to Frank level 5 in a single combo with a Nemesis THC and a good multi-hitting assist like Chun or Dormammu. As much as I figured he'd be the lamest character in the roster by far before the game came out, Frank may actually be my favorite character right now.

Funny that you mention that, because I was practicing with Frank/Nemesis/Dormammu just a little bit ago, trying to get down a Frank combo that builds one bar for the THC. It was surprisingly more difficult than I expected, but I guess that's just how meter gain in general is going to be from here on out.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Waverhouse posted:

Wesker owns noob.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Funny that you mention that, because I was practicing with Frank/Nemesis/Dormammu just a little bit ago, trying to get down a Frank combo that builds one bar for the THC. It was surprisingly more difficult than I expected, but I guess that's just how meter gain in general is going to be from here on out.
If you end your first air series with the qcf+H ground bounce move and follow that up with a relaunch, the combo builds a second bar just in time for you to need it. Here's a video I put together of a Frank/Nemesis/Chun combo that does basically the same thing, and I'm assuming Dorm would work the same way although I haven't tried it specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAacPnOV_-k

e: I just tried it with Dormammu, and it seems like you should be able to do the same thing to build the one meter with him too, except the timing is a whole lot stricter and you have to use c.H into S during the dark hole because you don't have enough time to get a standing H off. Also dark hole only does 9 hits to legs' 10 and my combo juuuuuuuust barely gets you to level 5, so you may have to play with throwing a few extra hits in there somewhere (and dealing with the extra scaling that results).

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 17, 2011

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Just picked up UMVC3 for a bit, have to say, really like the basic stuff that Nova, Hawkeye and Strange can do, even for a amateur player like me. There's definitely gonna be absolutely crazy assist combos going all over the place with these new characters, just seeing Combofiend DHC Hawkeye single arrow into Bionic Arm for a full bar was just :aaa:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

nftyw posted:

Just picked up UMVC3 for a bit, have to say, really like the basic stuff that Nova, Hawkeye and Strange can do, even for a amateur player like me. There's definitely gonna be absolutely crazy assist combos going all over the place with these new characters, just seeing Combofiend DHC Hawkeye single arrow into Bionic Arm for a full bar was just :aaa:

Did you know you can hyper-cancel Reel-In Punch into Bionic Arm? That, along with all the other Spencer buffs, is so loving unbelievable it borders on insanity. If Combofiend doesn't sweep Evo 2012, it's because he lost both his hands in a tragic roto-tilling accident.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
Hawkeye is so loving good. Gimlet supremacy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I don't have the game yet, but Spencer's tricks is really looking good. I ran him on point in the original version, and it looks like it's going to stay that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So Skrull can get an easy million off any hit backed up by Hulk AA assist now. That's... pretty awesome.

• Locked thread