Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nah, they just hired the Hansen's Roughriders 'techs after Hansen retired at the end of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries.

The ELH techs from MW3 still hold the title of GOAT. If I recall, I think there was a mission where you leave a combat zone and walk straight into an ambush or something, and they still have time to completely strip and rebuild a mech from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Defiance Industries posted:

The ELH techs from MW3 still hold the title of GOAT. If I recall, I think there was a mission where you leave a combat zone and walk straight into an ambush or something, and they still have time to completely strip and rebuild a mech from the ground up.

I think those guys may be using a LosTech temporal generator to create a bubble of independent space-time in which to work on the 'mechs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I think those guys may be using a LosTech temporal generator to create a bubble of independent space-time in which to work on the 'mechs.

The MFBs contain an entire, like, division-scale refit system between them. They weren't meant for just one lance, it just works out that way because poo poo goes down and the greatest voice actor ever is doing his best to keep things on track.

Seriously they can re-armor and reload a Mech in actual seconds.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always thought the armor the MFB put on was more like an overcoat.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I prefer non canon stories for btech video games, it allows some breathing room without being buried under the weight of mary sues or the insane amount of detail from the canon. Black Knight I enjoyed more than Mw4 vengeance if only cause you got to kill the whiney prick Ian finally. I think the only one i felt bad about was Jules Gonzales cause he was the man in MW 4 vengeance

edit: I use the think ian was okay until i replayed the game and got to experience him again :argh:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 17, 2011

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Thanks to MW4: Mercs, I now hear every one of Vlad Ward's lines in the novels and sourcebooks in the voice of the Apocalypse Tank from Red Alert 2

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
MFBs are canon. They just give you dropship/hanger repair capacity wherever you take them.

The REALLY impressive thing is getting poo poo like endo steel onto a mech, or changing the engine. THAT kind of stuff requires a trip to Hesperus II most times.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arquinsiel posted:

MFBs are canon. They just give you dropship/hanger repair capacity wherever you take them.

The REALLY impressive thing is getting poo poo like endo steel onto a mech, or changing the engine. THAT kind of stuff requires a trip to Hesperus II most times.

Reading the Sarna.net article, they sound like they look a lot like the Repair Truck from Mech Commander 2. Except they're not disposable and they don't cannibalize their own plating to make more armor for the 'mechs they're repairing. (How else can you explain the repair truck being 'destroyed' when it's used up?)

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I've been playing a lot of World of Tanks lately(and doing a little research on them because... well, why the gently caress not). Anyways, I honestly want to see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

Made to battletech standards. I'm sure the rules technically break the hell down, but goddamn, a tank that (would be) honestly taller than battlemechs. Come on.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 18, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What you mean this?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rorac posted:

I've been playing a lot of World of Tanks lately(and doing a little research on them because... well, why the gently caress not. Anyways, I honestly want to see this:

Made to battletech standards. I'm sure the rules technically break the hell down, but goddamn, a tank that (would be) honestly taller than battlemechs. Come on.

Rough BT approximation of the vehicle's weapon loadout:
2 AC/20s (maybe even a new AC- the AC/30)
1 AC/10
8 AC/2s
2 Machine Guns

:geno:
Rather light for a 1000 tons total weight.

Heh, how about its bigger brother: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster.

Main Gun: the equivalent of an AC/80, or more damaging than a Naval Laser 55. :gibs: Still kind of a pea shooter compared to Naval scale ACs though...

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

landcollector posted:

Rough BT approximation of the vehicle's weapon loadout:
2 AC/20s (maybe even a new AC- the AC/30)
1 AC/10
8 AC/2s
2 Machine Guns

Might I suggest Long Toms and a Sniper for the main guns, rather than AC/20s and a 10? I mean, given the range on them and that they're supposed to be naval battleship cannons...

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Well, considering that the turret was supposedly used for costal defense(not really but I don't think anybody doubts that it could've been), using at least a naval-scale weapon for the main gun would be semi-reasonable.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arquinsiel posted:

What you mean this?

That's less a tank and more an armored building with guns and treads.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Rorac posted:

I've been playing a lot of World of Tanks lately(and doing a little research on them because... well, why the gently caress not). Anyways, I honestly want to see this:

quote:

AC/2 at Ratte Super-heavy Tank (Hitler); needs 6, rolls 8 :
        Ratte Super-heavy Tank (Hitler) takes 2 damage to RS. 635 Armor remaining.

Critical hit on movement system. Roll is 13; (w/ +2 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.

Battletech hates tanks.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Battletech hates tanks.

PTN house rule: [giant fuckoff tank] is treated as a mech for purposes of critical hits. Problem solved!

Also, the Rattler seems less like it's even vaguely related to the Ratte(barring the name) and more like the NASA crawler. Deliberately so.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By German standards late war that tank making it into combat and staying mobile long enough for an AC2 to ding it was a miracle.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

By German standards late war that tank making it into combat and staying mobile long enough for an AC2 to ding it was a miracle.

Air Superiority is LosTech.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Not for Clan Cloud Cobra or the Outworlds Alliance, it ain't.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You wanna talk air superiority, let's talk Eisensturm.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Air Superiority isn't LosTech.

... The problem is, AeroSpace Fighters, with their insane thrust/weight ratios, are loving suicide machines in an atmosphere, so Air Superiority is something that usually only happens in space.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Not for Clan Cloud Cobra or the Outworlds Alliance, it ain't.

Clans never lost their technology.

PoptartsNinja posted:

... The problem is, AeroSpace Fighters, with their insane thrust/weight ratios, are loving suicide machines in an atmosphere, so Air Superiority is something that usually only happens in space.

It was an exaggeration, though not by much. My point is that air superiority in a ground battle usually doesn't exist and both sides just go at each other on the ground.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Generally by the time ground battle is on, it's kind of already decided. That stuff often gets sorted out while DropShips are inbound.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

So were appropriate transmissions in '44.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Have you seen the new Mechbuster? If not, go look at XTRO Periphery FAST.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Generally by the time ground battle is on, it's kind of already decided. That stuff often gets sorted out while DropShips are inbound.

That's not really air superiority, that's space superiority.

As PTN mentioned, nobody wants to commit Aerospace assets to a fight in atmosphere, because they go down so easily and they're so expensive. So it doesn't really matter if it's your aerospace fighters and dropships floating around in orbit, your forces on the ground likely won't have any more air support than the other guy's.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

As PTN mentioned, nobody wants to commit Aerospace assets to a fight in atmosphere, because they go down so easily and they're so expensive.

I think he's more pointing out the insanity of 100 ton fighter jets and how retardedly powerful the engines would have to be and how BIG the wings would need to be to have any hope of staying aloft in an atmosphere.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Aerospace fighters are kinda like Warhammer 40k flying units where they seem to operate more out of sheer spite at the concept of aerodynamics than anything else.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Aerospace phenotype is most likely the biggest failure of the trueborn experiment. Despite omni planes and the like, the IS was pretty on par with the clan. There are a ton of IS (FWL, Caps mainly) units and periphery (MoC, Taurians, outworlds, etc) that rely on air support and tanks, however we all know that Stackpole hated them so they of course get destroyed off camera easily :v:. In game terms aerospace is hard as gently caress to hit, but usually only takes 1 or 2 hits before it falls into an kitten orphanage and explodes hilariously.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Aerospace fighters are kinda like Warhammer 40k flying units where they seem to operate more out of sheer spite at the concept of aerodynamics than anything else.
You seem to be thinking of Ork planes. Pretty much everything else I've seen could at least fly if scaled correctly.

Flying WELL is an entirely different matter....

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Axe-man posted:

Aerospace phenotype is most likely the biggest failure of the trueborn experiment. Despite omni planes and the like, the IS was pretty on par with the clan. There are a ton of IS (FWL, Caps mainly) units and periphery (MoC, Taurians, outworlds, etc) that rely on air support and tanks, however we all know that Stackpole hated them so they of course get destroyed off camera easily :v:. In game terms aerospace is hard as gently caress to hit, but usually only takes 1 or 2 hits before it falls into an kitten orphanage and explodes hilariously.

Hard as gently caress unless you're using LB-X cluster rounds, which hit on a -4(!!) against flying targets.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hard as gently caress unless you're using LB-X cluster rounds, which hit on a -4(!!) against flying targets.

lbx can solve any problem you got: this is fact.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Axe-man posted:

lbx can solve any problem you got: this is fact.

LBX can't solve the problem of the other guy having over 35 points of armor on every location. It also can't solve the problem of the other guy having an HD locatino on his Battlemech.

Sometimes you just need a Gauss Rifle.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

LBX can't solve the problem of the other guy having over 35 points of armor on every location. It also can't solve the problem of the other guy having an HD locatino on his Battlemech.

Sometimes you just need a Gauss Rifle.

Defiance Disintegrator LB20-X AC to the rescue, then.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Put a powerful enough engine on it and even a brick will fly. And if there's one thing that ASF don't have to worry about, it's power, what with having a freakin fusion reactor on board.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Such a thing isn't uncommon in this day and age. After all, one of the things the pilots called the F4 Phantom was "the triumph of thrust over aerodynamics."

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Taerkar posted:

Such a thing isn't uncommon in this day and age. After all, one of the things the pilots called the F4 Phantom was "the triumph of thrust over aerodynamics."

Or "the flying brick".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, got that insignia done. I can't believe how long this took.

Here it is, depicted on the Goonlance.

Making an avatar out of this might be a bit of an ordeal. Sorry, the JJ.
Full-sized, easier-to-see-sloppiness version of the Rolling Thunder painting is huge so you can nab it here.

The actual insignia is just a sketched-and-lightly-colored thing and not really worth bothering with in comparison, but for the curious, here it is. I have not spent nearly as much time on it as I have the painting above. Feel free to make any snarky comments you might have about the artist now, they're appropriate.

The original was even more anime, if you can believe it.

Oh, and by the way...

Whether the painting is a Commemoration or a Memorial will be decided by you, Goonlance.

So good luck!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:golfclap:

That's all kinds of awesome.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The original was even more anime, if you can believe it.

The only way that's getting more anime is if you added a giant robot.
Or made her 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
:golfclap:

drat. That is some mighty fine drawing. All kinds of awesome indeed.

Players, I will be disappointed as gently caress if you guys die now. Not with this staring at us in the face.

Edit: Guess what's my new desktop image now? :swoon:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 18, 2011

• Locked thread