Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
I want to go and buy the Vice City soundtrack right now. So much 80s nostalgia was crammed into that. It's truly amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

One of GTA's few redeeming features for me was how good the music stations were. Every GTA that ive played had an enjoyable soundtrack imo.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Farbtoner posted:

On that note, The Saboteur was really unfairly overlooked by gamers and game journalists alike but it's so, so good. One of the best things about it is that there's just so much to do: your entire map is covered in hundreds of things to blow up, and blowing them up is not only fun and rewarding in its own right but it also makes actual missions easier since it means one less guard tower or tank to worry about. It's like popping bubblewrap, only the bubblewrap is Nazi hardware and you're popping it with dynamite.

Plus the black-and-white look was really good and the way the music in cars would play scratchy and lo-fi for a few seconds before segueing into modern CD-quality was so great :swoon:

I loved The Saboteur. It's by far my favourite free roaming game. I've spent hours on that game and destroyed every single target on the map. TBH it is a bit rough around the edges, but the game is basically what I expect a WW2 Assassin's Creed would look like.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Wait, what? Are people seriously dissing IF99, Fusion, The Journey and Liberty Rock Radio?

Next you'll be telling me Master Sounds from GTA:SA wasn't the best station in the series.
K-DST all day erry'day

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ingram posted:

Just installed Vice City with the intentions of playing it on my TV with a 360 controller.

enb is worth having a bash with if you're not already on it.
http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 14, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Illumination posted:

few redeeming features
:frogout:

Disliking them is one thing but seriously, a few redeeming features?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toothy posted:

I think it'd be nifty to have radio stations unlock as the game progresses, so players aren't oversaturated from the get-go.

GTA IV had that! In two ways even.

The first was that Laszlo's Integrity 2.0 isn't on the air until Algonquin is unlocked. While you're still stuck in Bohan/Dukes/Broker, the news service on the radio and some of the radio hosts mention that he's getting funds to start the station.

The second is that technically getting the episodes as DLC expands the playlists of every station in the main game, which is sort of like an unlock.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Install Gentoo posted:

The second is that technically getting the episodes as DLC expands the playlists of every station in the main game, which is sort of like an unlock.

Unfortunately it doesn't actually expand but switch out the playlists. I miss old Vladivostok FM.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't actually expand but switch out the playlists. I miss old Vladivostok FM.
It does if you own it as true DLC on consoles/pc; that said a lot of people (especially on pc) own it as standalones.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That's if you get the standalone disc. As Zedd said, the original GTA IV game + DLC versions expands all the radio stations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Heck arguably the fact that Niko goes to internet cafes at all was kind of outdated as soon as the game launches.

Nah, poor immigrants like Niko are the only people left who still use internet cafes so this was actually pretty realistic.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Install Gentoo posted:

That's if you get the standalone disc. As Zedd said, the original GTA IV game + DLC versions expands all the radio stations.

I got it from Steam, is there a way to listen to all the songs?

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Zedd posted:

:frogout:

Disliking them is one thing but seriously, a few redeeming features?

I forgot to note I was talking about GTA 4. Of all the ones I've played, 4 was the weakest one for me and still I can say good things about its sound track

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Rolling around on one of my first GTA4 cruises and hearing Global Communication - 5:23 made me nearly drop my controller. Any old dj/fan had to have done the same with a gently caress Yea.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Aside from the cheesy OOOWW in the chorus this song is my personal favourite since it is the one that plays just as you arrive in Hove Beach.

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Garbow posted:

I'm just going to assume there's no way that's fake and say that the map looks awesome. 4 small towns, plenty of countryside, an island, and a mountain. It's got everything people hoped it would have.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Yeah, even if those are fake I hope the real game has that much countryside in it.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Hopefully fake, that's a really loving small Los Santos.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Midnightghoul posted:

Yeah, I was really hype at first but this is the second thing to hit my mind. I like the idea of there being a little Catalina Island surrogate though.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
Where did those screenshots come from and are there more?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Midnightghoul posted:

This might not be an accurate way of doing things but here's the map lined up with a similar landmark on the San Andreas map (The highway junction near Vinewood)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ to be fair I think the original San Andreas map should be a bit larger and I'm basing that entirely on the size of the highway on/off ramps. They look way larger in the gta5 map but I can't imagine they'd really have them larger by scale in the new game.

Well I'm pretty happy with the size of that. I don't want a map like L.A. Noire that's just one big city full of 90 degree turns. That map shows a pretty large los santos but not so large that I'd complain about having to drive back and forth all over it for missions which lets face it we're gonna have to do. I like that they're giving you access to the bulk of the map at the beginning, with just edge cities and mt chiliad to save for later. I'm pretty excited to play exactly what's on that screenshot so I hope it's real.

davebo fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 17, 2011

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.

Gardias posted:

This might not be an accurate way of doing things but here's the map lined up with a similar landmark on the San Andreas map (The highway junction near Vinewood)

I tried an overlay with Liberty by matching up blocks and streets and the new LS looks to take up the same area as Algonquin, Bohan, Broker and Dukes (minus airport).

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

conscript salad posted:

I tried an overlay with Liberty by matching up blocks and streets and the new LS looks to take up the same area as Algonquin, Bohan, Broker and Dukes (minus airport).

You should post this.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
If that map is real I sure hope you get the airfield on the island as a base. Having your own island would be even cooler than the abandoned airfield in San Andreas.

Monprr
Jan 28, 2009
It's already been debunked as fake.

Pic from GTA 4

Pic from GTA 5 leak

Notice the similar building structure on the right and left (which is cut in half) and the railing design.

Monprr fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 17, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I also can't see them reusing the orange and white menu color scheme from GTA IV, especially when even the Episodes changed the color scheme up.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno, that doesn't seem like a slam-dunk fake find to me. It wouldn't surprise me to find Rockstar re-using assets like that.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
When is Game Informer going to have an exclusive on this game?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

webmeister posted:

I dunno, that doesn't seem like a slam-dunk fake find to me. It wouldn't surprise me to find Rockstar re-using assets like that.

Reusing assets is one thing, but the angles and silhouettes are IDENTICAL. I can't imagine a bigtime dev would just go "gently caress it, let's cut some blocks out of Liberty City and use them for Los Santos".

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Crappy Jack posted:

Reusing assets is one thing, but the angles and silhouettes are IDENTICAL. I can't imagine a bigtime dev would just go "gently caress it, let's cut some blocks out of Liberty City and use them for Los Santos".

The dollar sign is in the wrong spot in the menu screens, and the in-game map seems to be lacking the N marker designating north that all of the other GTA games have had.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Crappy Jack posted:

Maybe they are just placeholders? The map looks pretty convincing to me at least. But I do hope it's fake because I like having more green/foresty areas better than desert.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I didn't play GTA4, so maybe this is an ignorant question, but what are the light blue lines supposed to be? It looks like train tracks maybe, but then why would they change to gray over certain parts of their length? Neither elevated nor subterranean tracks (or their combination) seem to make sense for either of the two colors.

Also, in order for that map to line up with the under-bridge shot of the port of Long Beach in the trailer, the smallest city blocks in this game would have to be huge compared to in GTA:SA (the under-bridge gap on that map is about as large as the smallest city blocks on the same map). That would be strange given the comparative sizes of the freeway interchanges (as pointed out) but also the comparative sizes of the airport runways and piers (especially Santa Monica "Pleasure" Pier, which featured prominently in the trailer but barely is notable on that map, like most of the LA coastline as depicted in that map in fact).

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Totally unrelated, but the setting I hoped for when GTA V was announced was somewhere in Europe. I would have loved to see a GTA set in a more european setting - driving through equivalents of Prague, Rome, Paris or Barcelona, have a lot of silly stereotypes, etc. Guess it won't happen anytime soon...

Willie Trombone posted:

I didn't play GTA4, so maybe this is an ignorant question, but what are the light blue lines supposed to be? It looks like train tracks maybe, but then why would they change to gray over certain parts of their length? Neither elevated nor subterranean tracks (or their combination) seem to make sense for either of the two colors.

Based on SA, I'd say light blue is indeed for the train tracks, and grayed out when underground - there were quite a few tunnels in San Andreas, below city blocks and mountains mainly.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 17, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

If that is real it looks great.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Chikimiki posted:

I would have loved to see a GTA set in a more european setting - driving through equivalents of Prague, Rome, Paris or Barcelona, have a lot of silly stereotypes, etc. Guess it won't happen anytime soon...

I would kill for a Mini Cooper chase out of Turin. The subsequent bus mission down a twisty mountain road, however, would be tough.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That map is pretty obviously fake, I think. It looks like little more than a highly edited version of the SA map. Or maybe an original creation, I suppose. Doesn't matter as another of the pics it was put with was debunked.

I wonder what landmarks will make the game, though. If I had to hope for something specific that wasn't there last time I'd say Angels Flight would be a fun set piece for a mission.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 17, 2011

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I still wanna visit Carcer City. They talked about it so much on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

I still wanna visit Carcer City. They talked about it so much on the radio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)

You can!

• Locked thread