Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Nova's the first character I can do an actual B&B combo with outside of training mode :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
It's really easy to come up with Frank combos that build you up to level 4 without THC if you use a proper assist and know the properties of his moves. Dante and Frank combos share some similarities in that there are ways to combo into hard knockdown moves into an otg+assist into another hard knockdown and repeat as necessary using your assists/bounces. The combo I use to build to level 4 for my team (Frank Cart/Dante Jam Session/Doom Missiles) is:

LMH d+H S, j.MMH xx qcf+H (ground bounce), land, d+H+call Doom, S, j.MMHS, (missiles hit otg) j.H j.d+H (hard knockdown), call Dante, qcf+S (otg, level up to 3), qcf+S (level up to 4) xx qcb+PP (if you want).

It does decent damage and again, gets you to level 4. Landing that initial hit is a pain if they're half decent with their assists. Try and catch one of their moves with a slide or something. I think qcb+L zombie giant swing is safe on block? Don't quote me on that...

Here's my week 1 level 4/5 Frank corner combo for funsies:

c.L s.M c.M s.H c.H S, j.MMH xx qcf+L, j.M xx qcf+L, j.S (hard knockdown), dp+H(otg)+call Dante, S, j.S (hard knockdown), falling qcf+H (otg, ground bounce), step back, qcf+M (wall bounce), dp+M (hard knockdown), dp+H (otg) xx qcb+PP

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 17, 2011

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
All of Frank's zombie throws recover near immediately and the zombies are very durable, abuse this move as much as you can it's really good.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

canoshiz posted:

It's really easy to come up with Frank combos that build you up to level 4 without THC if you use a proper assist and know the properties of his moves.
I agree with this. I've been looking around at other Youtube videos for other team building ideas and it seems like most of the level 4 meterless combos I see have him spamming that qcf+L move in the air, which doesn't even work except against larger characters. I guess that's a trial mode combo or something, but it's completely impractical (like most trial mode combos).

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Skrull's Supernova move does 99 hits when mashed. It also lasts a long loving time. If you need to get to Frank level 5 fast, That's the best way to do it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm probably late as hell on this but I just found out you actually have enough time to do Frank's OTG overhead move (qcf+H) after landing his Anti-Air Face smasher super. There's some crazy reset potential there.

edit: Also I think I found an easy unblockable setup with Frank and Nova (if you are using the Rush assist). Basically do Franks F+H (object throw) and call Nova at the same time, then mash out Frank's slide.

To be honest I don't know if this is a true unblockable, but it looks drat hard to block if it isn't.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 17, 2011

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

The Rokstar posted:

I agree with this. I've been looking around at other Youtube videos for other team building ideas and it seems like most of the level 4 meterless combos I see have him spamming that qcf+L move in the air, which doesn't even work except against larger characters. I guess that's a trial mode combo or something, but it's completely impractical (like most trial mode combos).

It's not that bad provided you are high enough that you can follow it up but not too high that they just fall out after one hit from the plunger.

They changed the hitstun properties of Dante's Wild Stomp :( I can't make my Frank combo into an annoyingly long Frank+Dante combo :negative: On that note, Frank+Dante is a pretty good combination. Not quite BFFs but still really good.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 17, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So what's the general gameplan with Strider as of right now? Like where's his position on a team/good assists/general gameplay and high damage combos and resets?

Just trying to get a feel for what's out there, considering there's been a lot of posts about Frank and Nova.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I like Strider as an anchor, but the main barrier to success with him for me right now is that his OTG feels kinda awkward to do. I might pair him with an OTG assist just to avoid the mad rush of doing the formationB + shoot every time I land.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I just pop it before going in for a mixup, it lasts a bit longer then it used to in MvC2.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Heath posted:

AAaaaaaa Garr from Breath of Fire 3 is in Strange's ending. :3:

And Rei shows up in Hawkeye's.

I don't know if to take it as a much overdue tribute or a well-delivered troll.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cat Machine posted:

I like Strider as an anchor, but the main barrier to success with him for me right now is that his OTG feels kinda awkward to do. I might pair him with an OTG assist just to avoid the mad rush of doing the formationB + shoot every time I land.

I'm in the same boat, you can also use his slide to OTG and X-Factor out of it. Maybe there's a good assist that'd allow him to recover from the slide so you don't waste X-Factor.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

cams posted:

They are loving morons. Seriously, gently caress Wesker. gently caress Dante and Virgil too. Teleporting behind you in a corner is poo poo.

Your feeble attempts only delay the inevitable. Soon, the entire world will be teleporters.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Cinroth posted:

Your feeble attempts only delay the inevitable. Soon, the entire world will be teleporters.

Surely not the entire world? I mean, that would require some kind of complete global...

my god. :ohdear:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So is there a catalog of which characters got completely new endings and which ones got minor revamps? I did another 6 or so endings today. Most of them are just altered ones (Chris's ending is the same as before but now there's BOULDERS in the background of the first panel!)

The edited endings feel kind of lazy since all they did was change the dialogue but sometimes they help and make it less lame (like Jill's ending) although it doesn't change much. The new endings are neat though.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
People getting F'd in the A by Vergil: Vergil has no crossups on his normals (i think), no airdash and his teleport is reactable. Always block low against Vergil.

Also, the berserker slash-esque move will ALWAYS cross up so when you see it come out hold forward.

cams posted:

They are loving morons. Seriously, gently caress Wesker. gently caress Dante and Virgil too. Teleporting behind you in a corner is poo poo.

Says the Phoenix player.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Remember that Vergil has a beefy as hell airdash when he's motivated so look out for that.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The dumb thing about some of the new teleporters is that due to how their teleports position them they're at no risk whatsoever when doing teleport mixups, even from fullscreen. It makes them really disgustingly good against keepaway and folks who actually have to risk something when throwing out projectiles, especially since if the projectile assist hits em it usually leads into a full combo off the derp rear end mixup.

Niddhogg posted:

Says the Phoenix player.

Says the Strange player!!

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 17, 2011

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

Hawkeye is so loving good. Gimlet supremacy.

I KO'ed a Vergil last night with a Gimlet just as he was teleporting. Got him right as he reappeared behind me. It was incredible.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Vergil's teleport places him exactly at the point Hulk's s.H starts.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jetfire posted:

I KO'ed a Vergil last night with a Gimlet just as he was teleporting. Got him right as he reappeared behind me. It was incredible.

So Gimlet can't even be avoided/punished with a well-timed teleport? RIP Dark Phoenix.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

So Gimlet can't even be avoided/punished with a well-timed teleport? RIP Dark Phoenix.

I couldn't tell whether the teleport was well-timed, MvC3 in general moves so fast I can't figure out whether I'm doing things in anticipation or on reaction. I did manage to basically Gimlet-kill Phoenix-Gimlet-kill Dark Phoenix as well. That was fun.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So i've decided on Rocket Racoon, Deadpool, and Firebrand as my main team. I don't know if there's any synergy there whatsoever but I love the characters and I enjoy playing as them, and that's what matters. Anyone have any tips as to how I can maximize the team?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

TaurusOxford posted:

Phoenix is one of 7 characters that can dash out of a gimlet hit from most spots on screen.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Buhbuhj posted:

Phoenix is one of 7 characters that can dash out of a gimlet hit from most spots on screen.

lmao as if dark phoenix is going to be sitting there waiting to dash away from a gold arrow.

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 17, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm sure I'm behind on this, but I'm just now watching the Clockw0rk v. Yipes FT5, and while Strider gets blown up a lot, seeing Doom and Strider work like that is downright inspirational.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I personally am excited to work in Morrigan's new hyper stealing fireball, hopefully loving up some chars really hard with their meter building :allears:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The Rokstar posted:

If you end your first air series with the qcf+H ground bounce move and follow that up with a relaunch, the combo builds a second bar just in time for you to need it. Here's a video I put together of a Frank/Nemesis/Chun combo that does basically the same thing, and I'm assuming Dorm would work the same way although I haven't tried it specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAacPnOV_-k

e: I just tried it with Dormammu, and it seems like you should be able to do the same thing to build the one meter with him too, except the timing is a whole lot stricter and you have to use c.H into S during the dark hole because you don't have enough time to get a standing H off. Also dark hole only does 9 hits to legs' 10 and my combo juuuuuuuust barely gets you to level 5, so you may have to play with throwing a few extra hits in there somewhere (and dealing with the extra scaling that results).

When I was doing the same basic thing as your combo, I was just missing out on getting that full meter built for the THC. Here's what I came up with that worked with Dark Hole:

s.M s.H c.H S sj.MMH XX qcf+L, sj.M XX qcf+L, sj.MS, land dash once call Dorm slight pause OTG Camera into the assist, dash S sj.S, land THC.

This has the benefit of easily getting to Frank Level 5, at least. I'm still not entirely happy with it, though, so I'll probably continue to play around with it, maybe also using a Nemesis assist in there or something.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Strange/Hawkeye/(Storm??) seems like it would be a really good anti-DP team.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Oh my god that team in Strange/Storm/Hawkeye order would be so beefy, brb training mode

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm able to get Frank to level 5 off Frank/Nemesis/Dorm

The picture off of Dark Hole gets you to level 2 (15 hits) and the two pictures during the team super get you to levels 4 and 5. Be sure to mash during the shopping cart part of the team super otherwise you end up ~5 hits short to get to level 5 off of both pictures.

You should be at 15 hits when you OTG into the Dark Hole and at 26 hits before the team super. Second snapshot should be hit 48 and third snapshot hit 50. Does ~707,400 damage.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 17, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
People whose amazon guide orders got canceled or pushed back a few months, did you get an email notification? Mine has said it's coming between the 21st and the 23rd for a while.

Against vergil/dante teleport crap I don't have too many problems as long as I'm moving all the time. Gravametric Pulse assist is nice too, I KO'd a Vergil who teleported into it and it was hilarious.

Anyone do any work figuring out Nova's slide or his Centurion Rush M and H?

With slide (d + M) I wanna know:
  • What slide goes under
  • What slide trades with/beats esp, other char's slides (deadpool, hawkeye, shulk, mags, frank west)
  • How good is slide xx flight j.L? If the slide hits does the j.L combo (I think I did but I might be remembering wrong)? If the slide is blocked can Nova be hit before he gets the j.L out?
I suspect slide doesn't have amazing priority and doesn't go under a lot of things since it goes like 3/4 screen so there has to be a downside.

With Centurion Rush M I wanna know if it's good to throw out in anticipation of a tridash, box jump or jump in overhead since it causes a ground bounce when it hits airborne opponents. So does it:
  • Beat air normals that are just attacks like Magneto's j.H
  • Beat air normals that look like they might be projectiles like Iron Man's j.S or j.H
  • Beat sword air normals like Dante's, Taskmasters, or Zero's?
  • and how unsafe is it on block?

Centurion Rush H has a point of super armor so it could be good to use against other characters pokes that are or can be made safe on block like Task's Shield Skills. It also could go through some projectiles. That point of super armor could make it good if you know the matchups and what it beats.

I tested the Nova Strike moves a little against Zero's s.H. Zero's s.H beats them all clean. I'm guessing the Nova Strike moves will beat non-sword and non-projectile normals but I just don't see any reason to ever use them. They have slow startup, they look unsafe and look like they have low priority. Nova Strike H's crumple is nice but outside of comboing into it I have no clue when you'd use it.

Anyone know of followups to Human Rocket outside of the xfactor j.S move from mission 10?

PS - Is there a way to get the training mode dummy to crouchblock besides recording holding down back and putting it on playback repeat?

Dren fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 17, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Anyone play Chris? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get his OTG Shot into Magnum cancel consistently.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Dren posted:

PS - Is there a way to get the training mode dummy to crouchblock besides recording holding down back and putting it on playback repeat?

Apparently if you make it crouch and then set it to "All Guard (High and Low)" it properly crouch blocks (i.e. won't get hit by a cr.L or a fireball but will get hit by overheads and jump attacks).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CubsWoo posted:

I'm able to get Frank to level 5 off Frank/Nemesis/Dorm

The picture off of Dark Hole gets you to level 2 (15 hits) and the two pictures during the team super get you to levels 4 and 5. Be sure to mash during the shopping cart part of the team super otherwise you end up ~5 hits short to get to level 5 off of both pictures.

You should be at 15 hits when you OTG into the Dark Hole and at 26 hits before the team super. Second snapshot should be hit 48 and third snapshot hit 50. Does ~707,400 damage.
I didn't realize you could mash a team hyper. That opens up all sorts of stuff, honestly.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

I didn't realize you could mash a team hyper. That opens up all sorts of stuff, honestly.

I'll say it again, you want a braindead easy way to get level five Frank? Skrull's Supernova. It hits 99 times when mashed. And lasts long enough to get a camera shot in.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Yeah so Capcom is pretty :coal:

I pre-ordered UMVC3 from Futureshop (kinda like BestBuy) as there was a bonus DLC costume pack with it. After picking up my game, nobody there knew what the gently caress about any bonus and had to go through customer service, e-mailing them, going back to the store etc. After all that wasted time, they still had no answer and I was sorely out of luck.

I e-mailed Capcom as I had nothing to lose. This was their reply:

quote:

Response :
Hello Big L,

We do apologize for the run around you have experienced over the whole matter. The retailer are the ones responsible to help with this type of issue, but since this has become such a headache, we looked into getting a code for you in the office, and were able to attain one. Please use the code provided below, and we hope you're able to enjoy your purchase. Thank you for contacting us.

CAPCOM Customer Support

Awesome.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Anyone play Chris? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get his OTG Shot into Magnum cancel consistently.

I didn't think of trying it until you mentioned it, but went ahead and gave it a go. It's actually pretty easy. What's happening in your case?

Also, which OTG shot are you using (f+M or d+H)? If it's the former you'll have to be cleaner with the motion lest you get a grenade instead. The latter you can perform as part of the motion for the magnum.

It may be helpful to turn on the input display as well.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Cuchulain posted:

I'll say it again, you want a braindead easy way to get level five Frank? Skrull's Supernova. It hits 99 times when mashed. And lasts long enough to get a camera shot in.

The problem with using Skrull as your team super partner is Inferno can whiff if you're not in the corner. Nemesis seems to work anywhere on-screen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Dren posted:

People whose amazon guide orders got canceled or pushed back a few months, did you get an email notification? Mine has said it's coming between the 21st and the 23rd for a while.

I got an e-mail saying I need to accept the change for shipment being the 21st... of December :suicide:

• Locked thread