Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Source wood. Lightning strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Circus Pies! posted:

It's for shooting arrows.

So after that I spent way too much time looking up arrow slings which led to other slingshots and this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave and then to here: http://slingshotforum.com/ . So I'm pretty sure next weekend will be spent making a sling crossbow.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Edit: this is probably better off in the general craftiness thread. Sorry guys!

Hecuba fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 17, 2011

Piss-Ant
Oct 13, 2004

I'm not a malafactor, I'm a Lagomorph!

ChaoticSeven posted:

Yep, I've been needing to make a router sled for a couple years now. I have some walnut and cedar slabs too wide for my planer and too big and heavy for my drum sander.

Walnut, 1 coat of boiled linseed oil.

This look really great, I would proudly present that as a center piece. How did you make the sides? Did you route them and match the sides? I'm fairly new to woodworking but learning quickly thanks to youtube.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Just sold my behemoth planer. Best part of all of it, a guy that owns a sawmill less than five miles from my house bought it. I had no clue it was even there. He's going to hook me up with some figured walnut, maple, and Osage Orange in partial trade. I'm stoked.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Piss-Ant posted:

This look really great, I would proudly present that as a center piece. How did you make the sides? Did you route them and match the sides? I'm fairly new to woodworking but learning quickly thanks to youtube.

Thanks, it's my favorite thing by far that I've made. I'm not sure I can sell it, which was the original intention. Might be able to stand giving it to a family member or friend.

It started as a regular mitered box sans lid. After glue up I used chalk and drew the design on the sides. Then I used an angle grinder and a 36 grit flap wheel to rough it out. Finished with a random orbital and hand sanding up to 400 grit. Then I wet sanded it with BLO.

I'm currently investigating faster ways of accomplishing this, because it far from a quick process to get it to it's final state.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ChaoticSeven posted:

It started as a regular mitered box sans lid. After glue up I used chalk and drew the design on the sides. Then I used an angle grinder and a 36 grit flap wheel to rough it out. Finished with a random orbital and hand sanding up to 400 grit. Then I wet sanded it with BLO.

I'm currently investigating faster ways of accomplishing this, because it far from a quick process to get it to it's final state.

That is pretty clever. Did you come up with that process yourself? I want to try it sometime.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Nothing new under the sun, I saw the process explained about 3 years ago on the LJ forums. Completely different style of box, not sure I've seen one like mine before. Also he just winged it without the chalk. I wanted a little bit of guidance even if it was a random pattern I myself drew out.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ChaoticSeven posted:

Nothing new under the sun, I saw the process explained about 3 years ago on the LJ forums. Completely different style of box, not sure I've seen one like mine before. Also he just winged it without the chalk. I wanted a little bit of guidance even if it was a random pattern I myself drew out.

The chalk idea is a good idea. I have been wanting to make a box for some nature reference books and this would be a cool style to do it in.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

wormil posted:

So after that I spent way too much time looking up arrow slings which led to other slingshots and this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave and then to here: http://slingshotforum.com/ . So I'm pretty sure next weekend will be spent making a sling crossbow.

Well, my weekend is booked up now. If you are interested in rubber tubing you can buy it at Lows/Home Depot for $15.00 for what ever length it was but while shopping for cheep arrows at Academy sports I noticed in the exercise department that they have this http://www.scriphessco.com/products/lifeline-exercise-cables/843-0026/?sourcecode=SHPGRAB, they sell the bands separately in different weights and they seem to be a better value. Also the prices at Academy seem to be lower in the store than on line.

Piss-Ant
Oct 13, 2004

I'm not a malafactor, I'm a Lagomorph!

ChaoticSeven posted:

Thanks, it's my favorite thing by far that I've made. I'm not sure I can sell it, which was the original intention. Might be able to stand giving it to a family member or friend.

That's pretty cool, I like the lid a great deal too. I'm about to graduate and one of my main hobbies I plan to pick up is woodworking. I have a bandsaw, jigsaw, drill press, circular, and some ratchets. I feel like it is a good start and I'm getting really excited.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Circus Pies! posted:

Well, my weekend is booked up now.

Good tip, no Academy here but I'll check around the sporting goods stores. I'll also check out Lowes.

This one is well thought out and I'll probably just copy it. Maybe make it a tad lighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fllqaJax88
http://slingshotforum.com/topic/8183-medieval-style-slingshot-crossbow/

Here is another design using spring steel instead of bands but doesn't look as powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW31D-uTZkg
http://woodgears.ca/crossbow/

Joerg's hits 54 m/s with musket balls, Matt's does 67 m/s with marbles which are at least half the weight of a musket ball. Matt's trigger is much simpler.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

wormil posted:

Good tip, no Academy here but I'll check around the sporting goods stores. I'll also check out Lowes.

This one is well thought out and I'll probably just copy it. Maybe make it a tad lighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fllqaJax88
http://slingshotforum.com/topic/8183-medieval-style-slingshot-crossbow/

Well dammit now I want to build one. I was skeptical until he actually fired it, then I was in love.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here is the best view of a nut and trigger lock I could find.

http://crossbow.wikia.com/wiki/Designing_medieval_nut_and_trigger_crossbow_locks

It's simpler than I first thought. The nut will have to be strong and since I don't have a lathe I'll buy a dowel. Bungee cords will be fine for proof of concept and I can switch them for bands after dialing things in.

Marilyn Monroe
Dec 16, 2003

It's me, remember?
The tomato from upstairs.
I am researching having someone cut skirtboards for both sides of my stairs. I just need them to cut the boards and attach them -- I can prime and paint myself. What should I expect that to cost for a staircase with 12 stairs? I've never had to hire someone to work in my house before so I'm at a loss.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

wormil posted:

Here is the best view of a nut and trigger lock I could find.

http://crossbow.wikia.com/wiki/Designing_medieval_nut_and_trigger_crossbow_locks

It's simpler than I first thought. The nut will have to be strong and since I don't have a lathe I'll buy a dowel. Bungee cords will be fine for proof of concept and I can switch them for bands after dialing things in.

That's neet, I was thinking of making a trigger out of a bow release but I'll look into that. Unfortunately I now have other plans for the weekend.:(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here is my pattern for the slingbow.

I'm just going to make the body from 2x4s and the prod from either 3/4" plywood or whatever is lying around. Actually I'm going back to tweak the design a bit to see if I can get it down to one 2x4.

If this turns out well, I might make a regular crossbow out of something nicer, maybe white oak or cypress. Not sure about the bow, found a place that sells iron bows for around $65 or I could buy a used leaf spring from a junk yard.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I know this clever fellow's site has been posted before, but apparently he recently built a 6" jointer, mostly out of plywood.

http://woodgears.ca/jointer/homemade.html

http://woodgears.ca/jointer/build2.html

Edit: actually it's a TWELVE inch jointer. jeez.

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 19, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Wondering if I'm missing any woodworking shows on television. Currently I record and watch 3 shows, all on PBS:

Woodwright's Shop - Roy is great, met him a few years ago but I rarely am actually interested in his projects or methods of work. Recently Christopher Schwarz (Popular Woodworking, “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest") guest starred and it was the most entertained I've been in a long while by a woodworking show and I learned a lot. Roy drives me crazy because he constantly runs his fingers up and down plane blades.

The American Woodshop - Just started watching this last season. Tries too hard to be NYWS, poor time management and often feels rushed at the end. The constant safety reminders are distracting.

Rough Cut Mac - Another NYWS style show. The host is new at it and seems like a nice guy so I'm willing to give him a chance... Alright Guys. But he does need to work on some of his mannerisms... K Guys. I do like his projects although they are too similar to magazine projects... RIGHT Guys.

Others:

New Yankee Workshop - Stopped watching because they've just been rerunning the last couple seasons. At least show some of the early episodes.

Woodsmith Shop - Just found this on PBS, season 4 starts on 11/19. I have a timer set.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

The Woodturning Workshop is on fairly often.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

wormil posted:

Rough Cut Mac - Another NYWS style show. The host is new at it and seems like a nice guy so I'm willing to give him a chance... Alright Guys. But he does need to work on some of his mannerisms... K Guys. I do like his projects although they are too similar to magazine projects... RIGHT Guys.

You should watch some of his really early online stuff. It's PAINFUL. You know when you get embarrassed for someone in a movie? Almost like that. Still a a watchable dude though.

wormil posted:

The American Woodshop - Just started watching this last season. Tries too hard to be NYWS, poor time management and often feels rushed at the end. The constant safety reminders are distracting.

I've only seen a few episodes that mysteriously appeared out of the air, but his aesthetic tastes are...questionable. To me anyway. I'm sure mine are questionable to many as well.

Anyway...DAWWW, LOOK HOW CUTE! I need to buy some tiny birdies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Spookmaster posted:

The Woodturning Workshop is on fairly often.

Apparently our local PBS does not carry that station.

ChaoticSeven posted:

You should watch some of his really early online stuff. It's PAINFUL. You know when you get embarrassed for someone in a movie? Almost like that. Still a a watchable dude though.

I have seen a number of nationally known woodworkers speak at our local woodworking club and there is no shortage of talented people who are so much more entertaining to watch than either Mac or Scott Phillips.

Started on the slingbow/stonebow whatever you want to call it. This is during and after roughing out the tiller (stock). It looks like rear end here but after I cleaned it up with a rasp it was much better. I've spent 4x longer on the nut (broke the 1st, made the 2nd too small) than the stock. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm. But I have a feeling that poplar is too soft and will break or wear out too quickly. The next part makes me the most nervous... boring out the mortise for the trigger because if I screw it up, the stock is probably ruined.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
Here's the last thing I made... I just recently moved across the country and hope to get my lathe going again next week.

Tis a bowl made out of big leaf maple burl 6" squre by about 2" deep. Walls are oh... 1/4 thick or so. I'm not very good yet.

Also want to take this opportunity to say everyone in this thread should check out the DIY Secret Santa thread... some more people joining would really be nice =)

Also, that little tiny birdhouse is great!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

wormil posted:

Apparently our local PBS does not carry that station.

That lame. It's really good/informative

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats the best way to create a very very dark, almost black look that modern/oriental furniture has? Black stain and Lacquer?

Like this one-

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Saint Celestine posted:

Whats the best way to create a very very dark, almost black look that modern/oriental furniture has? Black stain and Lacquer?

Like this one-

A few good coats of stain should do the job. There are a few dark Ebony stains available at any general hardware/big box store.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Saint Celestine posted:

It's actually black lacquer.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-apply-a-black-lacquer-finish#b

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Duplicating_a_black_lacquer_finish.html

If you use stain you'll need to paint it on to get it black enough, obscure the grain and avoid blotching (on some woods) so you might as well use paint. You could also use black aniline dye which does not blotch and the more you put on the darker it gets without a painted look. Then just finish with a gloss topcoat and buff down to desired sheen.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
After trying to stain some furniture from ikea with ebony stain... (tried oil & water based on different projects) I will never do that again.

I'll either use black aniline dye, or black lacquer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Well I think I screwed up my slingbow stock tring to cut the trigger mortise. Next time I'm going to rip it in half, router it out then glue it back up. I also had to redesign the trigger. Thankfully the nut I spent all that time on can be reused.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ripping it in half is cool because then you could lay a strip of something contrasting down the length of the middle for pretty.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I got the Dust Deputy and set it up (Thanks for the recommendation!) and it works really well
Unfortunately, Makita didn't put much thought into dust collection on their chop saw and even with the vacuum connected it still spits sawdust everywhere. I think I need to create a little flap that hangs below the dust port

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just ordered one of these, saw people talking about them over on theslingshotforum.com, reviews seem positive. Hopefully it will let me get some more use out of my pillar drill.
http://www.the2terrys.com/wasp.html

MrPete
May 17, 2007

echomadman posted:

Just ordered one of these, saw people talking about them over on theslingshotforum.com, reviews seem positive. Hopefully it will let me get some more use out of my pillar drill.
http://www.the2terrys.com/wasp.html

I have the blowfly sander from them. Good bit of gear, made sanding the profile on my new front door much easier

Only thing I've heard about the wasp is that over time you can put sideways pressure on the bearings and stuff in a drill press and possibly make the shaft not run true?

Don't know how accurate this statement is, just something I recall reading on a WW forum somewhere

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

MrPete posted:

I have the blowfly sander from them. Good bit of gear, made sanding the profile on my new front door much easier

Only thing I've heard about the wasp is that over time you can put sideways pressure on the bearings and stuff in a drill press and possibly make the shaft not run true?

Don't know how accurate this statement is, just something I recall reading on a WW forum somewhere

Drill press bearings are designed for downward force only, not sideways force. Over time, you can damage the bearings and/or shaft and make the press not run true and straight, but occasional use isn't going to destroy them.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

iForge posted:

Drill press bearings are designed for downward force only, not sideways force. Over time, you can damage the bearings and/or shaft and make the press not run true and straight, but occasional use isn't going to destroy them.

Unless your drill was designed with thrust bearings (lol), they'll be fine. It's the quill taper that is the problem. Without a drawbar, the lateral force could cause the chuck to work it's way out.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Blake- posted:

Here's the last thing I made... I just recently moved across the country and hope to get my lathe going again next week.

Tis a bowl made out of big leaf maple burl 6" squre by about 2" deep. Walls are oh... 1/4 thick or so. I'm not very good yet.

Also want to take this opportunity to say everyone in this thread should check out the DIY Secret Santa thread... some more people joining would really be nice =)

Also, that little tiny birdhouse is great!

Nice bowl, do you order blanks anywhere specific?

Few more birdhouses next to the first one.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
I've recently been doing a lot of looking for a decent local blank source.

that blank came from woodheadz.com I've got about 100$ worth of various blanks im probably going to order from him tomorrow.

Unless... I can find a local person on the east coast with nice burl / figured wood blanks

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I live in the ozarks and still can't find a decent wood source. Good luck.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks, I just realized what I can do with all the little pieces of exotic/semi-exotic (at least to me) turning scrap. Refrigerator magnets. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Bandsaw magnets, dammit.