Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Parley is going to become Nightcrawler. Literally Nightcrawler. Book it.

Nightcrawler with a huge two-handed sword? I'm alright with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Perestroika posted:

Nightcrawler with a huge two-handed sword? I'm alright with that.

How about Two, One-Handed Swords?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dodgeball posted:

How about Two, One-Handed Swords?

I think you'll find you need a pirate cutlass and a small round shield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NupDdQiTw3I

(also, be a skeleton)

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Don't think I saw anyone post this, but from Tom's Tumblr:

"I had some more A4 prints made of some of my favourite pages. Also some postcard packs of the treatise pages! These’ll be at Thought Bubble also."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

gobbledygoat posted:

"I had some more A4 prints made of some of my favourite pages. Also some postcard packs of the treatise pages! These’ll be at Thought Bubble also."

Holy crap, that's the first time I notice that the picture of Jeanne there has the outline of a human skull. :psyduck:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Perestroika posted:

Holy crap, that's the first time I notice that the picture of Jeanne there has the outline of a human skull. :psyduck:

:aaa:

I now like that picture a hell of a lot more.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'd really like to buy one of those oil paintings, but I also really can't make it to Thought Bubble.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Haha, I actually saw the skull first and was "Oh, hey, a skull, not sure - OH! Jeanne!"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Thoughtbubble has sorted about half my Christmas presents, two of my siblings are HUGE Gunnerkrigg fans.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Ka0 posted:

So this is where Parley comes up with Lichtenauer style teleport-fencing right.

She's going to train in Zwee Fighting?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

gobbledygoat posted:

Now I'm even more chuffed that I'm popping over to Leeds for the weekend.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Now I'm even more chuffed that I'm popping over to Leeds for the weekend.

This has to be the most British sentence ever written.

(I say this with the utmost admiration.)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Tom keeps posting photos of all the neat bits of artwork he is taking to Leeds and it's driving me mad because there is this tiny little body of water called the Atlantic keeping me from being able to buy any of it :emo:.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Has anyone else noticed that all this ship teasing is coming about in chapter 34?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh, wow, good catch.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm thinking about going to Leeds. It's not like I have anything else to do.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Has anyone else noticed that all this ship teasing is coming about in chapter 34?

Has anyone else noticed that if you just try a little bit almost everything can be tied to one stupid internet meme or another?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Leovinus posted:

I'm thinking about going to Leeds. It's not like I have anything else to do.

Well if you do go up give us a bell!

e: wait I changed my account, you probably don't know who this is.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Well if you do go up give us a bell!

e: wait I changed my account, you probably don't know who this is.

correct I have no idea.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

I can't wait to read Chapter TvTropes. :allears:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keru posted:

She's going to train in Zwee Fighting?

Every time I think about Buttlord GT, I end up reading it.

It slays me every time for some reason.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No hospital trip! Yay!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's so... Parley.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

No, I have not (because it's in chapter 35).

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
Masterful disengage, robot. The fencer in me is so happy!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Okay, so...

Parley pushed aside the thrust, and robot used the flexibility of his sword sword to allow the tip to swing around and get past Parley's guard.

Apparently this is a real fencing thing? Can someone help me understand the specifics?

(besides 'it looks awesome' and 'it looks difficult')

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

M.c.P posted:

Okay, so...

Parley pushed aside the thrust, and robot used the flexibility of his sword sword to allow the tip to swing around and get past Parley's guard.

Apparently this is a real fencing thing? Can someone help me understand the specifics?

(besides 'it looks awesome' and 'it looks difficult')

It's a pretty standard fencing disengage move - you feint forwards as if you're doing a thrust, encouraging the opponent to parry, then you duck beneath their sword and hit them on the other side. With two experienced fencers, you can often get a chain of disengages, where the other swordsman would reverse direction and parry the other side, so the attacker would disengage *again* in the other direction and so on.

Parley is at a disadvantage here because the greater weight of her sword makes it difficult to change direction quickly. The move itself isn't a hard thing to do, though doing it tightly and efficiently, and also out-thinking your opponent so that he/she doesn't expect it is where the real skill comes in. (It's very easy to swing out too wide and too slow, or just not enough.)

EDIT: It's difficult to see how Parley can win this fight. My thoughts are that she needs to go more on to the offensive. The foil moves, while fast to execute, require set up. Which means that Parley should try to pressure Robot with swinging blows at his arms from her longer weapon (especially as he is moving and so out of his guard position), and stop him from getting into position.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 16, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fangz posted:

EDIT: It's difficult to see how Parley can win this fight. My thoughts are that she needs to go more on to the offensive. The foil moves, while fast to execute, require set up. Which means that Parley should try to pressure Robot with swinging blows at his arms from her longer weapon (especially as he is moving and so out of his guard position), and stop him from getting into position.

So to win the fight, Parley needs some way to rapidly get robot out of position and find a way to make up for the speed difference of her sword?

If she doesn't develop teleport fighting here I will be very surprised

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I have nothing but unending envy for whoever buys that City Face canvas.

These are also cool, I love Tom's tumblr and I think he is underestimating how much people would be willing to pay for these. I bet if he put some of those paintings on amazon instead of selling them at the con they would do ridiculously well. Like several hundred dollars well.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 16, 2011

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have nothing but unending envy for whoever buys that City Face canvas.

These are also cool, I love Tom's tumblr and I think he is underestimating how much people would be willing to pay for these. I bet if he put some of those paintings on amazon instead of selling them at the con they would do ridiculously well. Like several hundred dollars well.

I'm going to this con and have a lot of empty wall space in my new flat so don't tell him that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I'm going to this con and have a lot of empty wall space in my new flat so don't tell him that.
If you buy that City Face painting I will buy it from you for the price + shipping + like a twenty for your trouble. I am absolutely serious about this.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you buy that City Face painting I will buy it from you for the price + shipping + like a twenty for your trouble. I am absolutely serious about this.

Yeah, if you would be willing to do this that would be awesome. You could be art trader for the entire thread...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

If I had a job and the cash that went with that I would be very tempted but unfortunately I don't (this economy :argh:)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If I still had a job I would have bought a plane ticket to England and get my rear end on Thought Bubble. Both Tom and John Allison will be there, and they will be selling stuff you can't buy anywhere else. And I'm going to miss it all!

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I imagine I'll have some stuff left over after Thought Bubble is finished, so I'm hoping to put any canvases and such on ebay. I could even make more specifically to sell on line if people are interested.

If I could ever get the time I'd love to offer ink wash and watercolour commissions along with the old $20 custom drawing also.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tea-san posted:

I imagine I'll have some stuff left over after Thought Bubble is finished,

I imagine you WON'T.

quote:

so I'm hoping to put any canvases and such on ebay. I could even make more specifically to sell on line if people are interested.

If I could ever get the time I'd love to offer ink wash and watercolour commissions along with the old $20 custom drawing also.

This is an excellent idea.

I know people personally who make a full living from online art commissions/sales. And they don't have a wildly popular webcomic drawing in fans.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Tea-san posted:

I imagine I'll have some stuff left over after Thought Bubble is finished, so I'm hoping to put any canvases and such on ebay. I could even make more specifically to sell on line if people are interested.

Any idea how much you're charging for those canvasses? Chances are you can probably take that figure and double it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Putting some stuff on an auction site sounds like a good way of getting some ballpark idea of how much people are willing to pay for it (although obviously auctions and direct sales aren't quite the same).

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
From Tom's Tumblr: "Last canvas before Thought Bubble. Not sure if anyone would want this hanging in their house but what the hey."

I would. Not in my bedroom, or anywhere I might see it before going to bed, but I definitely would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tom you seem to have trouble with the idea that people want to hurl money at you.