Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

nerdzrool posted:

1: A fictional book about anthropologists studying the aztecs. Might be considered a thriller. Characters find a new temple(?) and start studying it. There is some kind of secret that's either mystical or real that someone else is trying to keep a secret. They're chased through an underground area near the end by someone or something. I know this is incredibly vague but I remember reading this from cover to cover and finishing it as the sun rose when I was 13 or so.

Is it this awful lovely book by Matthew Reilly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This should probably be easy to identify, it was required reading in early school years for me and I think it tends to be, but I remember just few enough details to make it difficult to search for. In the book, the world is in black and white. The main character is a young boy who, for some reason I can't remember, is apprenticed to an old man who holds some kind of important office which I also can't remember. The man teaches the boy how to see color - or maybe how to make color - and I'm pretty sure as a first example he uses an apple which becomes red. The book's cover, if I remember correctly, was a picture of the old man in black and white with a red apple.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Funkmaster General posted:

This should probably be easy to identify, it was required reading in early school years for me and I think it tends to be, but I remember just few enough details to make it difficult to search for. In the book, the world is in black and white. The main character is a young boy who, for some reason I can't remember, is apprenticed to an old man who holds some kind of important office which I also can't remember. The man teaches the boy how to see color - or maybe how to make color - and I'm pretty sure as a first example he uses an apple which becomes red. The book's cover, if I remember correctly, was a picture of the old man in black and white with a red apple.

The Giver by Lois Lowry. She wrote some sequels to it as well, if I recall correctly.

edit: Yeah, here's a box set of the trilogy.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

zedar posted:

Sounds sort of like Stephen Baxter's Raft, set in a universe where extremely high gravity means there aren't any planets as we understand them.
More likely Karl Schroeder's Sun of Suns.

[Ed for link]

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 16, 2011

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

nerdzrool posted:

1: A fictional book about anthropologists studying the aztecs. Might be considered a thriller. Characters find a new temple(?) and start studying it. There is some kind of secret that's either mystical or real that someone else is trying to keep a secret. They're chased through an underground area near the end by someone or something. I know this is incredibly vague but I remember reading this from cover to cover and finishing it as the sun rose when I was 13 or so.

Just gonna throw this out there just in case, Relic?

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

AreYouStillThere posted:

Just gonna throw this out there just in case, Relic?

Definitely not this one, thanks though.

Hedrigall posted:

Is it this awful lovely book by Matthew Reilly?

Ehhhhhh, I don't think so. It has the right elements but the whole weapon thing does not sound familiar.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

nerdzrool posted:

BlueFlowerRedSky: How old were you when you read The Seventh Tower? We're the same age.

I remember that the first one came out when I was in elementary school (maybe forth or fifth grade), because they advertised it at the school's Scholastic book fair, but I didn't end up reading any of them until I was in middle school. So like, 12 or so? I also think it's great that Scholastic's kept the series site up, complete with the crappy flash intro movie.

Actually, I have fond memories of a lot of Scholastic's book web pages. They've always been great at marketing, if nothing else.

Also just fyi, Funkmaster General: while The Giver is considered a classic, the sequels aren't as well-regarded, so you might want to avoid them. (I haven't read them myself, but I'm in a Children's Lit program and know a lot of people who have.)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Fire In The Disco posted:

The Giver by Lois Lowry. She wrote some sequels to it as well, if I recall correctly.

edit: Yeah, here's a box set of the trilogy.

Looks like I didn't have all the details quite correct, but this was indeed what I was looking for. Thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
edit: beaten, nvm

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Young adult fantasy novel I read probably in the mid to late 90s. Female main character, I think her dad may have been a merchant. She wakes up and decides to check out the magic mountain kingdom (or something). The main detail I remember is that on the path there she is following pine needles that all point the same direction and she follows them. Also something about a field of flowers that is actually paint or frosting or something. Help?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AreYouStillThere posted:

Young adult fantasy novel I read probably in the mid to late 90s. Female main character, I think her dad may have been a merchant. She wakes up and decides to check out the magic mountain kingdom (or something). The main detail I remember is that on the path there she is following pine needles that all point the same direction and she follows them. Also something about a field of flowers that is actually paint or frosting or something. Help?
The Farthest-Away Mountain? The article doesn't mention the pine-needles thing, but I'm pretty sure that's how she gets through the forest.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

drat that was fast! By the description that sounds like it. You're amazing!

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
This isnt the exact thread for this, but I'm hoping someone here can start me on the right path.

Ask/Tell megathread led me here, and what I have in mind IS relative to identifying a book, but for a different purpose.

See, in 3 months and change, I'm gonna be a father. Little girl. I'm unemployed, strapped for cash, and going through my book collection. I worked at a place that came into contact with old books from time to time. The place typically just recycled the books, but I found a couple gems in my time there and saved them from destruction.

The books in question are a non-English (Swedish I think? It has Stockholm listed as a origin, but I don't speak the language so I have no idea) bible printed in 1906 and an encyclopedia from the 1870's, American in origin if memory serves.

I've tried a few times to ascertain what they could potentially be worth, but have never known an appropriate channel to find that out. If this is not in the spirit of this thread, can someone PLEASE point me the right way? I feel these books are very rare and probably valuable to the right person, but I have no idea where to even begin looking as to who could evaluate such a piece.

Help?

P.S. I realize this might be totally the wrong thread, but I'd appreciate, if nothing else, a helpful nudge in the right direction. I can probably gin up some pictures of the bible at least if it'd help. Other book is buried in storage atm, but wouldn't be too hard to get out. Also have some other strange stuff if someone can point me to a general appraisal list or something that can help me resell some of the more obscure stuff.

E: maybe an old book thread is needed? I can't be the only one with century old books. God I hope one of those bastards is worth something.

cucka fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 20, 2011

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AreYouStillThere posted:

drat that was fast! By the description that sounds like it. You're amazing!
A 10-minute turnaround's got to be some kind of record!

cucka posted:

I've tried a few times to ascertain what they could potentially be worth, but have never known an appropriate channel to find that out. If this is not in the spirit of this thread, can someone PLEASE point me the right way? I feel these books are very rare and probably valuable to the right person, but I have no idea where to even begin looking as to who could evaluate such a piece.
Have you tried plugging the title/publisher date into Amazon/Alibris/Abebooks? Should give you an idea of what other copies are selling for, if anyone's selling other copies....

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Also just fyi, Funkmaster General: while The Giver is considered a classic, the sequels aren't as well-regarded, so you might want to avoid them. (I haven't read them myself, but I'm in a Children's Lit program and know a lot of people who have.)

According to Lowry's blog, she's working on a fourth in the series. http://www.loislowry.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=4&Itemid=194 (See text under the picture of the cat.)

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

cucka posted:

This isnt the exact thread for this, but I'm hoping someone here can start me on the right path.

Ask/Tell megathread led me here, and what I have in mind IS relative to identifying a book, but for a different purpose.

See, in 3 months and change, I'm gonna be a father. Little girl. I'm unemployed, strapped for cash, and going through my book collection. I worked at a place that came into contact with old books from time to time. The place typically just recycled the books, but I found a couple gems in my time there and saved them from destruction.

The books in question are a non-English (Swedish I think? It has Stockholm listed as a origin, but I don't speak the language so I have no idea) bible printed in 1906 and an encyclopedia from the 1870's, American in origin if memory serves.

Help?

Call or visit your local public library. If they don't have a way of finding it themselves (either through websites or, if they're rich like that, their own resources) then they can tell you where to go to get them better appraised.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm looking for a YA type book, where I think the gimmick was that this town was visited by "modern"-ish adaptations of famous legends.

The only example I can remember 100% is about how there was a guy who got a lot stronger as long as he was on the ground (like, earth ground), and the protagonist defeated him by either lifting him up off the ground or having their fighting ring (this guy was like a boxer or wrestler) be raised off the ground instead of being on normal earth. I think that one is an adaptation of a famous Greek legend, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's a take on the legend of Hercules. He fought Antaeus (another demigod who gained his strength from touching the earth. I think he was Poseidon's kid ), and won by lifting him up and squishing him.

Dunno what book it is, but that might help narrow it down a bit.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Runcible Cat posted:

More likely Karl Schroeder's Sun of Suns.

[Ed for link]

This is it! Thanks!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

cucka posted:

Help?

P.S. I realize this might be totally the wrong thread, but I'd appreciate, if nothing else, a helpful nudge in the right direction. I can probably gin up some pictures of the bible at least if it'd help. Other book is buried in storage atm, but wouldn't be too hard to get out. Also have some other strange stuff if someone can point me to a general appraisal list or something that can help me resell some of the more obscure stuff.

E: maybe an old book thread is needed? I can't be the only one with century old books. God I hope one of those bastards is worth something.
I would recommend abebooks.com. They have a pretty active forum including international posters. If nothing else, you can search to see if there are any copies of your books for sale there and try to contact the sellers directly.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
You'd think I'd remember this, since it's my drat screen name, but there was a fantasy book I read probably 15ish years ago that had a character named "the Demon Dark Horse." I've done a couple of searches, but nothing. The only other things I can remember about the story was it wasn't part of a series, there was an evil wizard that needed killin', and it had a naval element to it. Pretty cheesy 90s cover art too.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I've got two.

First is pretty simple. A short story that was in one of my gradeschool literature books. A young man/boy from a primitive tribe ventures out into the "Land of the Gods", but he's smart and soon realizes that it's simply a ruined city from modern civilization before something ruined everything. I remember a good line about how they "made the night as day for their own amusement".

Second one might be a bit tougher, or it might not. Somewhere on these forums someone linked a short story, available online elsewhere. It is about alien invaders who try and take over a slightly post-modern Earth. But the trick is that the aliens aren't that advanced. The secret to interstellar travel is around victorian-era level technology, and mankind skirted around it by sheer fluke and continued to advance technologically without ever leaving earth. Contrawise, the aliens never bothered to advance their own tech much further because once space travel came around, that's all they ever bothered with. Flying to new planets, invading, etc, and not bothering with much else besides plundering. So they get to earth, find their sabers and muskets to be useless, and end up wondering what they unleashed by accidentally giving the humans the ability to travel across the galaxy. The POV switched between the raid captain of the aliens and the human's perspective.

This one should be freely available online, and might have only been published in a magazine or the like previously (if at all).

Thanks in advance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I've got two.

First is pretty simple. A short story that was in one of my gradeschool literature books. A young man/boy from a primitive tribe ventures out into the "Land of the Gods", but he's smart and soon realizes that it's simply a ruined city from modern civilization before something ruined everything. I remember a good line about how they "made the night as day for their own amusement".

There are a few stories on this theme, by the most likely is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_the_Waters_of_Babylon

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Second one might be a bit tougher, or it might not. Somewhere on these forums someone linked a short story, available online elsewhere. It is about alien invaders who try and take over a slightly post-modern Earth. But the trick is that the aliens aren't that advanced. The secret to interstellar travel is around victorian-era level technology, and mankind skirted around it by sheer fluke and continued to advance technologically without ever leaving earth. Contrawise, the aliens never bothered to advance their own tech much further because once space travel came around, that's all they ever bothered with. Flying to new planets, invading, etc, and not bothering with much else besides plundering. So they get to earth, find their sabers and muskets to be useless, and end up wondering what they unleashed by accidentally giving the humans the ability to travel across the galaxy. The POV switched between the raid captain of the aliens and the human's perspective.

This one should be freely available online, and might have only been published in a magazine or the like previously (if at all).

Thanks in advance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(short_story) Thread favorite...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Thanks in advance.

It's the Path Not Taken or something like that.

efb

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks, everybody. Now I can finally get some sleep.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Thanks in advance.

Wasn't there one kinda like this where the invading aliens looked like elephants?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wasn't there one kinda like this where the invading aliens looked like elephants?
I think you're thinking of Niven & Pournelle's Footfall.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm almost embarrassed to post about this one. My sister and I were talking about the utterly stupid teen horror books we read in the early 90's, and we remembered one but couldn't remember the title or author.

It's one of those R.L. Stine style horror books. It was about a girl who ends up possessed by the ghost of her mother's late step-sister (or some relation like that), whose name is Julietta. She was known as Etta when she was alive, and introduces herself as Juliet to the teenage girl. Once she possesses the girl, she does things like dressing slutty and acting wildly. That is basically all we can remember. Not much to go on, I know. :(

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
YA books. The name of the series resembled "Wheel of time" i.e. I think it was "[something] of time" but it was definitely not the same thing. I read these early-mid 90s I guess. The premise was there was a group of kids (I think mainly family) and they had a pocketwatch or something that let them travel through time and space. Any ideas what these books were called? It's bugging me, I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it and haven't been able to for the past several months.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

anabatica posted:

YA books. The name of the series resembled "Wheel of time" i.e. I think it was "[something] of time" but it was definitely not the same thing. I read these early-mid 90s I guess. The premise was there was a group of kids (I think mainly family) and they had a pocketwatch or something that let them travel through time and space. Any ideas what these books were called? It's bugging me, I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it and haven't been able to for the past several months.
Maybe The Time Warp Trio? It's also a kids show, I think. But, the device is a book, not a watch.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I'm looking for something that was on the reading level of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. I checked it out of the library when I was in fifth grade.

The hard part is that I don't remember much about it. I know the title of the book was abbreviated, like C.O.L.O.R. That might have even been the name or close to it, but it's been too long now. The cover showed a rocky, cratered planet almost like the moon and there was either a space ship/flying saucer or a space station on the planet surface. I know it was science fiction and I think it took place on this barren planet and the protagonist might have been a robot.

Jesus, I know that's not much to go on. I loved the book but I was allowed to only check it out once. I'd love to read through it again for old time's sake.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Runcible Cat posted:

Got to be Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October

Wow, thanks for finding this for me!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I talked about a sci fi short story in class last night, and now I really want to track down the author/title so I can email it to the tutor, who seemed really interested in the story's premise.

It's a short story from an anthology by a big-name author. It's set in the future, and physical books have been replaced (and destroyed in the process maybe?) by a supercomputer which stores all of humanity's literature on it (not sure about the other arts). Anyway, the computer crashes (perhaps there's a hint of sabotage?) and all of that store of knowledge is lost.

There is a strong reference to Shakespeare's line from Romeo and Juliet that "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - there is a janitor/caretaker guy (?) who happened to glance at the screen and read that line before the crash, and so he is the only human left who knows anything about Shakespeare.

It miiiiight be by Arthur C Clarke (but no promises). Help please! :)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This was a short story that was part of a pretty old collection, probably from the 60's or the 70's. It was set on a desert planet where a few last remaining humans - some teenagers and an old woman of twenty eight - were moving from their summer home to the winter home. They used to take planes for the trip, but the last one of those crashed a while ago, so on this trip, they were walking. They wound up not making it because one of the way stations was dead and something called a bluebaby wound up killing one or more of them by pulling them all into the sand. A good chunk of this story was written from the bluebaby's point of view.

Any tips?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

anabatica posted:

This sounds somewhat like A Wrinkle in Time.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

einTier posted:

I'm looking for something that was on the reading level of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. I checked it out of the library when I was in fifth grade.

The hard part is that I don't remember much about it. I know the title of the book was abbreviated, like C.O.L.O.R. That might have even been the name or close to it, but it's been too long now. The cover showed a rocky, cratered planet almost like the moon and there was either a space ship/flying saucer or a space station on the planet surface. I know it was science fiction and I think it took place on this barren planet and the protagonist might have been a robot.

Jesus, I know that's not much to go on. I loved the book but I was allowed to only check it out once. I'd love to read through it again for old time's sake.
Was it The Red Rocket from this series of books? Google Image search has this as the cover. http://i.imgur.com/16aze.jpg

I actually have a copy of this somewhere. It doesn't have the abbreviated title, but it fits most of the other stuff. Or it could be Robot World, where the main character disguises as a robot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

einTier posted:

C.O.L.A.R.?

dhkx
Oct 29, 2011
I've been trying to locate a sci fi book I read when I was a kid about 10 years ago. All I can remember was that it was set primarily in space and the characters had to deal with tiny (I think) insects that could attack their ships and eat through the hulls. I think the first word in the title was "Deepspace" or "Backwater" but I could very well be wrong.

This is really not much information but it's been driving me crazy recently and google hasn't been of much help.

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

dhkx posted:

I've been trying to locate a sci fi book I read when I was a kid about 10 years ago. All I can remember was that it was set primarily in space and the characters had to deal with tiny (I think) insects that could attack their ships and eat through the hulls. I think the first word in the title was "Deepspace" or "Backwater" but I could very well be wrong.

This is really not much information but it's been driving me crazy recently and google hasn't been of much help.

Thanks in advance!
Deepwater Black by Ken Catran.