Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

windwaker posted:

I am literally so naïve about steak that I really couldn't tell any cuts apart. I suppose the answer to this is just, "buy random steaks until you find one you like?"
Yeah, just buy a bunch of different things on sale. These will be steaks that have been sitting there a few days and the manager wants to clear them out before they go bad. They are perfectly fine if you eat them in the next day or two.

Look up some steak charts on the internet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak#Types_of_beef_steaks
http://www.chigourmetsteaks.com/steak_guide.php

Once you identify a cut that you like, then pay a few more bucks and try out the USDA Select grade of that steak. Once you get a handle on those, you can try out USDA Choice grade steaks.

Myself, I don't have a favorite cut, I just get different ones every time I go shopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

windwaker posted:

I am literally so naïve about steak that I really couldn't tell any cuts apart. I suppose the answer to this is just, "buy random steaks until you find one you like?"

Honestly, I'll have to refer to season 1, episode 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KrjeJDNKUA

Honestly I dont think Ive ever said "hmm do I feel like ribeye or NY strip?" but I base a lot of it on whats available, what looks good, whats on sale. When I say "what looks good" Im a sucker so I look for bright red, good marbling, not too much gristle/fatty/weird poo poo on the edges.. though honestly I do enjoy gnawing on some gristle from time to time.

From years in restaurants I am accustomed to having a hot oven always available to finish cooking -- so generally I sear to the color that I want and throw the meat into a 450 degree oven until it's just below the temperature I want.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 16, 2011

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

physeter posted:

Girlfriend decided to do turkey her way, which in accordance with her amazing chicken cooking skills means lots of turkey meat well-brined in soy sauce and perfectly scented with the flavors of lemongrass and onion.

My job is the sides and obviously traditional is out. I plan on stuffing acorn squash, but I need a stuffing that's Asiany enough not to clash with the turkey, but not so Asiany that its....Asian. Help. Anyone have a good rice-based stuffing recipe that incoroprates lemongrass, cilantro?

Firstly, I would suggest this BBC Recipe. I have tried it before and has lots of flavor offering a fusion of traditional Christmas(traditional in my house at least) and Asian influence.

On the stuffing specifically, I have not tried a rice based stuffing other than for peppers (chorizo etc) and that is normally pre-boiled. If you just wanted to serve the stuffing on the side then pre-cooked would work, if you wanted to cook it inside the turkey then it would end up being over cooked. Whether you could get enough moisture inside the bird so the rice was not dry at the end would be difficult. Options that come to mind include:
1. A lemon based rice dish, with halved lemons adding moisture to steam the rice.
2. Ensuring that the rice cannot dry out by sealing inside something like a stomach lining (like haggis).
3. Going for arborio rice and starting with an over moist stuffing in the hope that there is just enough moisture for the rice to soak up during the cooking.

A final option if you want the texture but are willing to move away from rice is barley. As barley will survive a longer cooking process.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009
I'm making food for this next Thursday. I'd like to make a dessert that my father can partake of according to his doctor's advice- so nothing with sugar or excessive oil/fat. Something fruit-based would be best. Any ideas?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

QuentinCompson posted:

I'm making food for this next Thursday. I'd like to make a dessert that my father can partake of according to his doctor's advice- so nothing with sugar or excessive oil/fat. Something fruit-based would be best. Any ideas?
#1 Fruit in yogurt

#2 If you put frozen bananas in a blender you get something close to ice cream

#3 If honey is okay for your dad you can also make this fruit compote topping for the "banana ice cream" http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dried-pear-and-fig-compote-recipe/index.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 16, 2011

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

QuentinCompson posted:

I dont know where you are posting from but now is a good time of year things like apples, quinces and even pomegranates, so if you are wanting local fresh ingredients then this is a place to start.

For a simple healthy dish with flavor you can start with a low-fat yoghurt add your favorite nuts (preferably toasted) and then stir in some pomegranate seeds and a little pomegranate syrup (made by heating pomegranate juice with some honey).

The problem is a sweet taste normally indicates sugar and hence more calories, i personally do not use sweeteners so something like the above will at least give you a few vitamins and minerals with your sugars.

Your other option is to reduce the portion size. You can make something visually impressive which is little more than amuse bouche.

For example a small amount of top quality Cornish style ice cream, macadamia nuts and a really nutty olive oil can make a very interesting and delicate dish without needing to be huge.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What would be a fun Thanksgiving dessert using pomegranate? Any thoughts?

edit: Other than the yogurt idea above which looks delicious, but more like breakfast. I'm pondering making some sort of very dense pomegranate jelly with some arils intact and then...puff pastry? I dunno.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
This has most likely been asked a million times but yeah:

So I was asked to make food and that is usually not a problem, but now there is a vegetarian girl in the mix and I'd like to make an all vegetarian meal instead of a "real one" and one alibi etc.

However, I don't know any vegetarian meal that can be enjoyed by up to 7 people and at the same time is something special, savory and "full" so to say.

What is your goto vegetarian meal for 6-8 people when you want something impressive?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Root vegetables are a great idea, since they're nice and hearty and make you feel full. Check out this roasted root vegetable recipe. It looks amazing.

I'd say something like that, combined with a squash soup of some sort (such as the much-celebrated peanut butternut squash soup that's been making the rounds), some mashed potatoes of course, and perhaps an egg/cheese-based tart of some sort, if she's cool with that, would make for a very approachable and incredibly delicious vegetarian meal. Throw in some homemade cranberry sauce and a pie of some sort and Bob's your uncle. Beans would also be appropriate, and are good and filling, though I can't think of any particularly Thanksgiving-ish bean recipes off the top of my head right now.

gently caress me that sounds good.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Doesn't have to be thanksgiving since I am in Europe.
The soup is booked. I'll be trying it today.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

BagelMaster posted:

If my bread dough is too wet and sticky when I make it in bulk, can I just incorporate more flour before I bake it when I separate a ball from the bulk dough?

yes BUT: if your dough is different but the recipe is not then you probably need to knead it more, especially if you are making a larger than normal batch

ALSO: if you add flour you have to knead the dough again or it will taste like raw flour

youre not getting out of kneading that dough

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kenning posted:

I'm pondering making some sort of very dense pomegranate jelly with some arils intact and then...puff pastry? I dunno.

orange and thyme shortbread thumbprint cookies with the pom jam in them? maybe get a nut in there somewhere too, either a candied nut all chopped up on top of the jam or maybe toasted nuts in the shortbread?

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Boner Slam posted:

This has most likely been asked a million times but yeah:

So I was asked to make food and that is usually not a problem, but now there is a vegetarian girl in the mix and I'd like to make an all vegetarian meal instead of a "real one" and one alibi etc.

However, I don't know any vegetarian meal that can be enjoyed by up to 7 people and at the same time is something special, savory and "full" so to say.

What is your goto vegetarian meal for 6-8 people when you want something impressive?

I quite like doing a stuffed cob, I have done it before with meat dishes but could work will in veggy form. A little research through up this one: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8171/spinach+and+ricotta+dip

The advantage is that everyone is digging into the same loaf (or loaves if you go for a few different options) so it creates a talking point. Works as a great sitting room starter if you dont want the meal to be too formal.

An alternative is to head down the indian route, there is a lot of variety to choose from but things like a dal, a vegetable curry or saag aloo are all going to give heartiness and avoid that feeling that you have just a collection of sidedishes.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Indian is not an alternative, several people there don't like Indian (or so they say)

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Boner Slam posted:

Indian is not an alternative, several people there don't like Indian (or so they say)

It is impressive that they can discount an entire subcontinent. It took me two weeks in September to see only a fraction of the country and it that time I experienced huge variety in the food. Starting in Kashmir and travelling through Srinegar, Delhi and down to Jaipur the contrast in spicing, in presentation and theme was bigger than between french and italian cooking.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Emo Rodeo posted:

Tried to make peanut butter heath cookies with this recipe:

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/6142/HEATH-Bits-Peanut-Butter-Cookies.aspx

They came out really flat and gummy. They still tasted good, but no good on presentation and texture. Any suggestions?

Just a couple of quick questions:
Is the peanut butter you used a regular style, or was is organic/natural with the oil floating on top? If it is the one with the oil it may be causing the batter to be too lose, could cause the flatness and gummy texture.

When you measure flour, are you doing it with "dry" measuring cups or liquid?
Was it particularly humid when you made these?
Did you use real sugar or a truvia/splenda blend?
Were the cookie racks warm at all when you put the cookies on?
The recipe calls for shortening instead of butter, which is a little odd to me, but not unheard of.

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest

CzarChasm posted:

Just a couple of quick questions:
Is the peanut butter you used a regular style, or was is organic/natural with the oil floating on top? If it is the one with the oil it may be causing the batter to be too lose, could cause the flatness and gummy texture.

When you measure flour, are you doing it with "dry" measuring cups or liquid?
Was it particularly humid when you made these?
Did you use real sugar or a truvia/splenda blend?
Were the cookie racks warm at all when you put the cookies on?
The recipe calls for shortening instead of butter, which is a little odd to me, but not unheard of.

I used Reduced fat creamy peanut butter, didn't realize it was reduced fat, but the texture seemed the same.

I used dry measuring cups, it wasn't particularly humid, I used brown sugar that the recipe called for, I switched between two cookie racks so that they wouldn't get too hot.

Although, I didn't use shortening exactly, but "Imperial" which is, I guess, a vegatable oil spread. This could be the culprit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Emo Rodeo posted:

Although, I didn't use shortening exactly, but "Imperial" which is, I guess, a vegatable oil spread. This could be the culprit.

That's likely it. "Spreads" tend to contain water, while shortening is 100% fat. Water would make the cookies spread out more than they should and be softer than normal.

Edit: yep - http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/imperial-52percent-vegetable-oil-spread-br-1-3-less-fat-similar-to-margarine-20512.htm

quote:

INGREDIENTS:
Partially hydrogenated soybean oil and liquid soybean oil, water, salt, vegetable monoglycerides, soy lecithin, whey (from milk), (potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, calcium disodium EDTA) as preservatives, citric acid, artificial flavor, vitamin A (palmitate), colored with beta carotene.
Baking is more chemistry-dependent than other cooking disciplines. Small changes in proportions can have a big impact on the final product. Imperial is only 52% oil, not 100% like shortening. Butter is, if I'm remembering correctly, ~20% water and makes a big difference on cookie spread/appearance. Using Imperial was an even bigger swing toward hydration than swapping in butter.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 16, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

So, I'm going to culinary school (at a tech college, mind you) and one of my classes is American Regional Cooking. Each week we've been doing different regions of the US. Next week we're doing a Native American thanksgiving.

I am stumped as to what to make. After a couple hours searching I haven't been able to find anything that really caught my eye.

I've decided I either want to do a soup or a dessert. I was wondering if anyone here had any good traditional Native American recipes they'd like to pass along.

Hey, I'm a little late here perhaps but I happen to know that the Native Americans in New England ate seafood AND they tapped maple trees so you really have a chance to be a hero here and make a delicious, traditional lobster clambake-based stew and some sort of delicious maple syrup dessert.

The hoe cake thing from earlier would be awesome with maple syrup if you don't mind fusing tribal recipes.

And it might be a little cliché, but Indian Pudding? However, I always see it referenced when people talk about Native American cuisine, but then you look at the ingredients like ginger, rum, and molasses and wonder what they're on about. Perhaps a little research would turn up an older polenta pudding recipe that used native ingredients.
edit:

christian scientists posted:

Despite the title, early New England settlers did not adapt this recipe from native Americans: 'Indian' refers to the 'Indian meal' used – cornmeal, as wheat flour wasn't available.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1115/p14s01-lifo.html/(page)/2 so yeah, never mind about that.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 16, 2011

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Dangphat posted:

It is impressive that they can discount an entire subcontinent. It took me two weeks in September to see only a fraction of the country and it that time I experienced huge variety in the food. Starting in Kashmir and travelling through Srinegar, Delhi and down to Jaipur the contrast in spicing, in presentation and theme was bigger than between french and italian cooking.

I am not going to risk it, especially as I don't know poo poo about Indian cooking myself. I am pretty sure they want to say "I don't like curry" and I am sure there are lots of things in Indian cuisine that are nothing like currys, but this is not really the occasion to challenge their palates I guess.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Dangphat posted:

A final option if you want the texture but are willing to move away from rice is barley. As barley will survive a longer cooking process.

I spent last night experimenting and I've decided that since I can't make acorn squash light and asiany, I can at least make it loving awesome. Gonna roast the halves in smem, sea salt and ras al hanout, then stuff in the last five minutes with couscous, toasted pistachios, and dried cherries/figs that have been rehydrated with duck fat and merlot.

gently caress her stupid lemongrass turkey :regd08:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

physeter posted:

I spent last night experimenting and I've decided that since I can't make acorn squash light and asiany, I can at least make it loving awesome. Gonna roast the halves in smem, sea salt and ras al hanout, then stuff in the last five minutes with couscous, toasted pistachios, and dried cherries/figs that have been rehydrated with duck fat and merlot.

asian acorn squash? Roast small slices that have been tossed in some star anise and sichuan peppercorn.

I remember going to the farmer's market and this guy was growing japanese squash -- the sushi people in the stall across from him loved it, and they said they would roast it and drizzle it with soy and rice wine vin and eat it like that.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

physeter posted:

Good god I had to read that three or four times. What is smem?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

I like turtles posted:

Good god I had to read that three or four times. What is smem?

That was a typo, it's actually called smen. It's North African sheep or goat fermented butter...has an underlying cheesy sour taste to it. But if she keeps throwing lemongrass into our shared Thanksgiving I may very well roast some vegetables in my own semen. I love lemongrass but I find it's a bitch to pair with anything.

I'll try soy & vin tonight. Maybe stuff with brussel sprouts and bacon. I love cutting fatty stuff with vinegars.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's from the Natural Harvest cookbook, isn't it

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I can't find brisket and I want to make my own pastrami, is there another cut that could work?

Short ribs supposedly.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

I'll mail you a box of that if you send me all the Nanaimo bars in the city. All of them!

:3: I loves me some Nanaimo bars.

Edit: I think this is what I can get at local stores.

PS: *all* nanaimo bars, for my mouf

I can make some and ship them out for that, sure. Never made them before (Yes I suck) but it seems simple enough (god I'll probably goof up in some horrid way)

Drimble Wedge posted:

Never used it, but here you go: http://gallowaysfoods.com They're in Richmond. These guys might have it too http://www.sloanvalley.com or at least be able to tell you where their stuff is sold. It seems that it's also used in making soap and body products, so also check out places which cater to those sorts of enterprises. I wonder if the Bulk Barn would have it?

I'll have to check them out when I head to Richmond next, or just online order it. No Bulk Barn in Nanaimo, though Victoria might have one.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I'm on a massive shabu shabu kick and would really like to copy the experience at home. I have no problem with picking up a $17.95 tabletop burner from the restaurant supply store and I already have a slicer, so I think it's more about the software at this point. Advice about recreating the broth or the soy accoutrements (scallion, garlic, maybe thai peppers, maybe red miso) is most needed but any general suggestions would be great

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Turkeybone posted:

Honestly I dont think Ive ever said "hmm do I feel like ribeye or NY strip?" but I base a lot of it on whats available, what looks good, whats on sale.
I'd amplify this and say that this isn't just how I buy steaks, it's how I buy food in general.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm making roasted vegetables tomorrow morning for a thing at work, and the recipe includes butternut squash. I've never done anything with butternut squash before, and it looks like you need a vegetable peeler, which I don't have. If I cut up the squash tonight, will it keep okay in the fridge overnight until I start cooking? I only ask because I tried that with potatoes some years back, and they got weird and fuzzy looking (I read that I could have prevented it by leaving the potato chunks in water, lesson learned).

Edit: Google tells me it'll keep under plastic for a day or two, so I should be good. I went ahead and peeled it myself without too much trouble, and with the help of this Youtube. Apparently popping the squash in the microwave for a minute or two softens it up, helping the cutting process.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 17, 2011

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
My boss just read about the Trinidad Scorpion peppers and has a friend that is growing some. He's wanting to make a salsa out of them, but isn't sure how to go about it. Any suggestions?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
at 1.5 million scoville you probably arent going to be eating chunks of it so puree it with with a bunch of vinegar and add a drop at a time to your regular salsa?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you wanna try it undiluted for fun, dip a toothpick in it and scrape the toothpick on your tortilla chips.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 17, 2011

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Greggorian posted:

My boss just read about the Trinidad Scorpion peppers and has a friend that is growing some. He's wanting to make a salsa out of them, but isn't sure how to go about it. Any suggestions?

I have made this using some dried naga chillis on top of the fresh habaneros and it packed a delicious punch. So maybe this will work for your scorpions?

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

pile of brown posted:

at 1.5 million scoville you probably arent going to be eating chunks of it so puree it with with a bunch of vinegar and add a drop at a time to your regular salsa?

Ha, at 1.5 million scoville, I will not be eating it at all. :ohdear: I will pass this information along though, thanks guys.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

King Bahamut posted:

I'm on a massive shabu shabu kick and would really like to copy the experience at home. I have no problem with picking up a $17.95 tabletop burner from the restaurant supply store and I already have a slicer, so I think it's more about the software at this point. Advice about recreating the broth or the soy accoutrements (scallion, garlic, maybe thai peppers, maybe red miso) is most needed but any general suggestions would be great

Hypnobeet does hot pot at home, and last winter she did some experimenting with making her own version of that herbal/medicinal tasting one. I'll email her and ask for her recipe.

My favorite broth is the tom yum, which is very similar to hot and sour soup.

SubG posted:

I'd amplify this and say that this isn't just how I buy steaks, it's how I buy food in general.

True, but you are at a very high level of cooking skills... when you've got a full quiver of go-to recipes, it's easy to make meals out of the best available. Most cooks need a little more planning then that.

marlowe can you go
Oct 13, 2011
Not sure if there was a better specific thread to ask this in, so I'm asking it here.

Last year I followed these instructions to make clarrey (spiced white wine with honey).

It says right there that for best results you should leave it to sit for a month. Well, I put it away and completely forgot about it so I suppose now it's been sitting for about twelve months.

If I attempt to drink this, will it make me very sick?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

marlowe can you go posted:

Not sure if there was a better specific thread to ask this in, so I'm asking it here.

Last year I followed these instructions to make clarrey (spiced white wine with honey).

It says right there that for best results you should leave it to sit for a month. Well, I put it away and completely forgot about it so I suppose now it's been sitting for about twelve months.

Probably not. Is there anything floating in it, or does it smell/taste horrid? If not, you're good to go.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

marlowe can you go posted:

When wine goes off, it turns into vinegar, so you'll notice very fast if there's anything wrong with it. Otherwise, it's got so much alcohol and sugar in it, it would probably keep for years without going bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I can make some and ship them out for that, sure. Never made them before (Yes I suck) but it seems simple enough (god I'll probably goof up in some horrid way)
I'll go double-check my local store to make sure I can satisfy your buttermilk powder needs.

In the meantime, I recommend upgrading your Nanaimo-bar cooking vessel to the next level:

Only registered members can see post attachments!