Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

Well, apparently it's 700 calories so probably :barf:

What's the origin of this 'ansrew' joke? I feel like I've seen it somewhere before.

"Ansrew" was a typo someone made of "Andrew" once. For whatever reason, people ran with it and it became this whole thing about Andrew having an evil twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

There are many reasons to believe that she does; and they're not related. Genetically they're John and Jade's parents. They're paradox clones of themselves, and the ectobiology machinery made John and Jade by mixing them.

Although given the seemingly familial resemblance they have anyway, one could probably be forgiven for assuming otherwise.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

There are many reasons to believe that she does; and they're not related. Genetically they're John and Jade's parents. They're paradox clones of themselves, and the ectobiology machinery made John and Jade by mixing them. (That was, of course, in the pre-scratch session, but what we've seen so far strongly suggests that these guys somehow arrived on the same meteors from the old session rather than having been created at some point in their own upcoming session.)

We seriously still don't know this.

It could be that this session has its own ectobiology session where the same items are available and the order of ectobiology is reversed so that the guardians are products of the kids, not the other way around. I have only seen circumstantial, explainable evidence for this "one ecto-biology session for both game sessions" theory and while it's a live hypothesis we don't want to go assuming just yet.

We won't know until we get some clearer confirmation disqualifying one of the possibilities.

Although that'd certainly make the shipping grid more lively.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think the situation with the meteors could be more strongly telegraphed without the story straight out stating what happened. It wouldn't make any sense to happen the way you're describing.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh, yeah, it certainly hasn't been explicitly confirmed or anything. It just seems to be the likeliest explanation at this point given the evidence. And I do think that the genetic relationships won't change even if something else is going on, although of course I could be wrong about that, too.

(I'm just hoping Maplehoof somehow survived the impact this time around so that Dave has a mighty steed whereon to ride across the land righting wrongs wherever he finds them, or possibly rustling cattle. Or whatever.)

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

And don't forget that Nannasprite said she and Grandpa were meant to be together in some cosmically destined romance that pre-scratch Betty Crocker fouled up by driving Li'l Grandpa away.

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I was alluding to. There's got to be something to it, although it could have just been the Condesce's unclear understanding of John and Jade's origins or something.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
TG: drinking
TG: prensent tense
TG: grammar jane

I love these short term callbacks :allears:

Also, this is the best typo correction:

TG: is that waht you want
TG: *want

We also don't "know" that the Condesce is Betty Crocker yet, but it sure is being freaking telegraphed right now.

I think Lalonde has been awake on Derse before the game and has heard the horrorterrors. She's Gnostalgic like Jade was Gnostic and is clued in on the Batterwitch's plans

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
UU did describe the two sets of heroes as sharing "mutual progenitoriety." That doesn't really point to anything one way or the other--the original 4 kids may not literally be progenitors of the scratchkids, but they are figuratively--but the possibility is out there for additional paradox clone shenanigans.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

TG: i dont get a lotta mail out here and im no mail expret
TG: *expert
TG: but
TG: doesnt that mean not the right thing
TG: like ur susposed to put it up if you want something taken away not have the guy put it up if mail comes
TG: i think your mail man is quiet possibly a dumbass

It did always bug me how Hussie used those incorrectly in the comic... :allears:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

quote:

TG: all those
TG: cyhpers and bobbytraps
TG: backdoor trojans and what not
TG: were no match
TG: 4 mai codez
TG: snicker

That was my favorite bit in one long unbroken chain of favorite bits. Mom Lalonde is ALL KINDS of the best character.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

And just like that, we're back in business. Best pesterlog i've read in a long time.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
There's already this Tumblr backlash against Lalonde on account of the character is allegedly glamorizing alcoholism, and omg she's a teen getting plastered. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but maybe it'd jangle on some bad nerves for someone whose life was wrecked by alcoholism?

Still, pesterlog owns.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Snollygoster posted:

There's already this Tumblr backlash against Lalonde on account of the character is allegedly glamorizing alcoholism, and omg she's a teen getting plastered. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but maybe it'd jangle on some bad nerves for someone whose life was wrecked by alcoholism?

Still, pesterlog owns.

My mother was an alcoholic and drank herself to death and the pesterlog didn't bother me at all. If some teenager starts drinking, let me tell you it's not Homestuck that put the idea in their heads.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
Seeing as the comic already has a 13 year old psycho drug addict spree killer, a 15 year old drinker is hardly breaking new ground.

That said I'm a bit ambivalent about it but I'm willing to see how it goes / not care that much even if it is played straight for laughs.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Andrew Hussie does not condone underage drinking.

That said, this pesterlog was awesome.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

Have we ruled out that the Condesce might actually be UU, leading Jane on like a chump? All's we know so far is that she can read trollscript (From the act 6 flash), that she is a she, and that she certainly has a lot of personality in common with Feferi. She DID say that she wasn't even in the same universe, and my gut says that isn't a lie, but not lying ever is Doc Scratch's gimmick.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I honestly don't know which log was funnier: Dave and Tavros, Dave, John and Karkat, or this. If Dave, Karkat and kidMom ever meet, it would signal then end of the comic. Hussie wouldn't be able to top himself.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cavatica posted:

I honestly don't know which log was funnier: Dave and Tavros, Dave, John and Karkat, or this. If Dave, Karkat and kidMom ever meet, it would signal then end of the comic. Hussie wouldn't be able to top himself.
This one's definitely a close second to the John/ Karkat/ Dave STAY AWAY FROM OUR WOMEN, IDIOTS memo. Someday I too will reach the august ranks of the Easily Outfoxed by Simple Utensils Buckaroos :allears:

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Snollygoster posted:

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but maybe it'd jangle on some bad nerves for someone whose life was wrecked by alcoholism?

Still, pesterlog owns.

God forbid we all take a step back and realize that while we all have things in our past that have made us sensitive to some topics, not everyone shares those sensitivities (and probably doesn't care about yours).

Not blasting you Snollygoster, you were just the latest person to comment on it.

MSPA is a humorous COMIC, and pokes fun at a myriad of topics people could be upset about. So if you are legitimately offended by turning an early theme of a character's alcoholism on it's head, maybe you should keep it to yourself.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Amazing: In a comic where there's a paody of Jesus Christ, a drugged-out 13-year old gets sober and murders a bunch of people, a girl enjoys murdering people in order to feed to a spider monster, and the entire human race is exterminated, the thing that gets people up in arms is... a 15-year old drinking.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Okay if she's this great all the time, the young Mom Lalonde is in fact my new favorite character. It's like a drunk female Dave. Fantastic. Bro is gonna be weird though, I can't even imagine what he's like.

I'm glad all three of these 'new' kids so far have had fun personalities without too heavily retreading any existing characters, while still keeping a lot of what made them distinctly unique from when they were 'older' pre-scratch.

Also stealing the 'drinking. present tense. grammar, jane' thing for every time I'm drunk and someone feels like pointing it out to me. Fantastic.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

At some point after they enter the Medium, Kidmom will run out of booze. Expecting to see some cool Gamzee callbacks in the ensuing epic hangover.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The thing is, this isn't really teenage alcoholism like you'd see in an afterschool special. This has been the case from the start, but the kids talk and act like adults except in circumstances where they need to act like kids. It's like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. He has the interests and hobbies of a 6 year old, but he philosophizes like an adult most of the time. You just accept that he's still supposed to be a 6 year old kid. No 13 year old in the world talks like Rose or Dave, you just suspend your disbelief that these characters are actually not adults. Kidmom drinks like an adult and then talks like a 15 year old girl and the juxtaposition is pretty funny. There's no need to read into it any further.

Note: This does not make it okay to have romantic feelings toward any of the characters. You are a bad person if you do.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

quote:

GG: Where have you been today?
TG: nowhere just chilling here
TG: when all of the sudden
GG: "All of a sudden."
TG: when all of the sudden
TG: it hits me

I love how kidMom just totally ignores Jane's correction the first time. That right there already implies so much characterization it's amazing - you just know they've had these exact sorts of moments tons of times. :)

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Kidmom is a pretty amazing character and gives me the highest hopes for Kidbro

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Admiral Lasers posted:

I don't think they know that they're related!

They're not. Their genetic information was "mixed" to create the kids from the previous session. That means they're not related, lest the kids themselves are sadly inbred.

Jake and Jane in the previous session were raised as siblings, but weren't actually related. Each is the paradox clone of themselves.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Nthing kidMom is the best mom.

She... she really surpassed my hopes.

I do have to wonder though: does this mean the whole passive aggressive war between Rose and Mom was genuine? Or is all the passive aggressiveness on Rose's side, and Mom (kid or adult) is just too belligerently sincere to care? She's got a lot of Dave in her, but the irony seems only skin-deep. Like she seems pretty straight-forward, just hilarious and blunt. You know, like a drunk (drinking) person.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Mom said "p sure". Love it.

I still think the Jane/Jake/teen Mom/teen Bro from the new session later becomes Nanna/Grandpa/Mom/Bro that we all are familiar with, and that John/Rose/Dave/Jade end up becoming Poppop/Grandma/teen Mom's mom/teen Bro's bro. The reason SBaHJ exists in the new universe is because Dave made it to the new session, saw a void in the movie market, and filled it.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Jane, Jake, Lil' Strider and Lil' Lalonde are not related. They're paradox clones and are only clones of themselves. John & Jade are the paradox children of Jane and Jake. Rose & Dave are the paradox children of Lil' Strider and Lil' Lalonde.

Hussie has made this abundantly clear in explicitly stating these facts and in referencing the implications that Jane & Jake were supposed to be romantically destined for each other.

The children, on the flipside, must follow Karkat's brilliant breeding program. :>

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Starmaker posted:

I do have to wonder though: does this mean the whole passive aggressive war between Rose and Mom was genuine? Or is all the passive aggressiveness on Rose's side, and Mom (kid or adult) is just too belligerently sincere to care? She's got a lot of Dave in her, but the irony seems only skin-deep. Like she seems pretty straight-forward, just hilarious and blunt. You know, like a drunk (drinking) person.

I think Rose's Mom was being sincere and ScratchRose wound up being sincere to KidMom or something like that. If it wound up that Mom really WAS being passive-aggressive I think it would weaken Rose's earlier characterization of calling out John's relationship with his supportive dad without recognizing that her mom was doing basically the same thing and she couldn't admit it.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!
Well I just had the best realisation ever. The universe has been reset, and so has the Sburb session, right?

Courtyard Droll is still alive

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hammer Backspace posted:

Well I just had the best realisation ever. The universe has been reset, and so has the Sburb session, right?

Courtyard Droll is still alive

He'll make his boss happy one day :unsmith:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Waffnuffly posted:

I think Rose's Mom was being sincere and ScratchRose wound up being sincere to KidMom or something like that. If it wound up that Mom really WAS being passive-aggressive I think it would weaken Rose's earlier characterization of calling out John's relationship with his dad without recognizing that her mom was doing basically the same thing and she couldn't admit it.

Kidmom seems to be good at detecting ploys/conspiracies, but then goes along with them anyways. Like she sees Rosemom leaving alcohol around as passive aggressive mindgame bait, but she goes ahead and drinks anyways. I think that's what Mom was doing with Rose. She recognized that her daughter was trying to play these passive aggressive mind games. She didn't have any personal interest in them, but she played along because she knew that it made her daughter happy :unsmith: I think she'd make a much better Seer than Rose did.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kidmom Lalonde is the funniest character in Homestuck.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Man I just realized something I am really looking forward to: finding out what the kids are going to prototype their Kernelsprites with, and the shenanigns involved with that! I am giddy with anticipation :allears:

*shenanigans

HalfHazard fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 17, 2011

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

HalfHazard posted:

Man I just realized something I am really looking forward to: finding out what the kids are going to prototype their Kernelsprites with, and the shenanigns involved with that! I am giddy with anticipation :allears:

*Jake approaches kernelsprite with loved one's remains in hand*

*pre-scratch kids and trolls appear out of nowhere*

"It's cool dude WE GOT THIS"

*Vriska's corpse is thrown into kernel*

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Supercar Gautier posted:

"WH8T D8D Y8U DOOOOOOOO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

creationist believer posted:

Kidmom seems to be good at detecting ploys/conspiracies, but then goes along with them anyways. Like she sees Rosemom leaving alcohol around as passive aggressive mindgame bait, but she goes ahead and drinks anyways. I think that's what Mom was doing with Rose. She recognized that her daughter was trying to play these passive aggressive mind games. She didn't have any personal interest in them, but she played along because she knew that it made her daughter happy :unsmith: I think she'd make a much better Seer than Rose did.

Yeah this is my favorite interpretation. That's what I meant by "belligerently sincere." Either that or she just doesn't give a gently caress - like she really liked Rose's drawing of Jaspers and welded it to the fridge to make Rose happy, who misinterpreted it, and then Mom just kinda went along with it because whatever.

Like, she's smart and observant, she just doesn't give a poo poo.

God dammit one pester log and she's already my favorite character.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would love for this to happen just so the fandom could implode.

Now that I think about it, as funny as kidMom was, my favorite line out of the whole thing was

Jane posted:

So even if your insane and paranoid theory happens to be true, your response is, "Screw it! Time to help myself to all this mind game booze."

I just need a hero-mode of kidMom doing something drunk, and then I'll have a new avatar.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cavatica posted:

I would love for this to happen just so the fandom could implode.

Forget about the fandom--think about Jade's reaction, given Jake's tastes. "Jade, I'd like you to meet your new stepnanna..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Regy Rusty posted:

He put an "Ansrew" reference in the comic. My god.

No silly MSPA Forum running gag is too small for Andrew to give a nod to. First Dr. Brinner, and now this. Never stop, Hussie. :allears:

Apparently the ansrew thing is based on a misspelling on the forums somewhere (specific info requested if anyone has it). What's the Dr. Brinner thing?

e: it was on PM's letter. It appears to be something absurdly dense involved with the mspa forums. I think my ability in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a poo poo is being nullified.

e2: I still want to know.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2011