Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
http://www.stholdings.co.uk/2011/11/16/removal-of-content-from-spotify-simfy-rdio-napster/

quote:

STHoldings can confirm that we have taken the decision to remove all STHoldings distributed content from the following music services, Spotify, Simfy, Rdio & Napster.

STHoldings got quite a few labels. And there's always the possibilites that more will follow suit :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

quote:

Add to that, the feeling that their music loses its specialness by its exploitation as a low value/free commodity. Quoting one of our labels “Let’s keep the music special, gently caress Spotify”

Seriously?.
I hate this elitism that because something is easy to access it isn't "special"
If they want to be so loving special maybe they should only put their albums on reel-to-reel.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

NOBEARD posted:

http://www.stholdings.co.uk/2011/11/16/removal-of-content-from-spotify-simfy-rdio-napster/

STHoldings got quite a few labels. And there's always the possibilites that more will follow suit :/

"more traditional digital services" -- translation: we're not getting enough revenue because we're not large enough to make up for spotify's low royalties in volume, and we can't negotiate better.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
With services like Spotify around I can't see myself buying music ever again, and before that I went years without ever buying or even considering pirating anything, so for all I care they can be so special that nobody has even heard of them.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Maybe you need this:
http://eu.dummies.com/DummiesTitle/productCd-1119952344.html

Wow, there's seriously a book about that? It's like "here is how to use a basic interface that is like a million other programs"

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

global tetrahedron posted:

Wow, there's seriously a book about that? It's like "here is how to use a basic interface that is like a million other programs"

384 pages :stare:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

global tetrahedron posted:

Haha, yeah. I saw it on their twitter feed, thought it was a bit stupid.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

wyoming posted:

Seriously?.
I hate this elitism that because something is easy to access it isn't "special"
If they want to be so loving special maybe they should only put their albums on reel-to-reel.

It says something about the professionalism (and probably the negotiating skills) of this particular distributor that "gently caress Spotify" was allowed into their official statement.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Is premium worth it?

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

After six months of using a free account, you will have to pay. You get a limit of 5 plays per track which makes the free account more or less useless. Paying for Unlimited or Premium will take away the limit.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I just want to be able to listen to the music on my phone. Is it one of those things where you pay for x amount of months for it upfront or is it month to month? I'd like to be able to cancel it if I'm not digging it.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

silversiren posted:

I just want to be able to listen to the music on my phone. Is it one of those things where you pay for x amount of months for it upfront or is it month to month? I'd like to be able to cancel it if I'm not digging it.

You can either pay up front for 12 months, or pay month to month. As far as I remember there's no price difference between those two.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

silversiren posted:

Is premium worth it?

As a person who does not make a lot of money, yeah it does. Its ten bux a month, two six packs, two packs of cigarettes, or any other amount of poo poo I don't need. I can use it on my iPod if there's internet where I am (there usually is) and I don't need to bother with ads. Explore poo poo thats on there. I did that and found that 90% of what I would want to listen to is on there.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Spotify is a better use of :10bux: than pretty much anything i can think of.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Charlie Mopps posted:

I have been trying to figure out a way (as a Canadian) to give Spotify my money for a while. They disabled gift cards for US accounts.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Charlie Mopps posted:

drat Americans (and really, every other country, even those drat Swedes), getting Spotify cheaper than me :argh:

99 NOK/SEK/DKK, 9.99 EUR/GBP/USD. It's not the same value damnit!

Edit: Except Denmark, they pay more. Hah.

NOBEARD fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 24, 2011

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
What's the difference behind Premium 'enchanced' bit rate and whatever I'm getting now on free?

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

Winszton posted:

What's the difference behind Premium 'enchanced' bit rate and whatever I'm getting now on free?

Free is Ogg Vorbis q5, approx 160 kpbs.
Premium 'enhanced' is Ogg Vorbis q9, approx 320 kbps.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I actually downloaded it for my Android last night and I want my money back now. The app sucks.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

silversiren posted:

I actually downloaded it for my Android last night and I want my money back now. The app sucks.

The app sucks. The key is to make your business on your PC and just listen on your phone.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Svartvit posted:

The app sucks. The key is to make your business on your PC and just listen on your phone.

My issue right now is that if I add new songs to the one dedicated playlist, they don't transfer over. It is possible that it might be because I don't have the software for my phone installed on the computer, but I can't find the CD anywhere.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone else having issues with Spotify today? Apparently people all over the world are having log in problems. I tried doing the uninstall and reinstall trick like I do with iTunes, but that didn't work. I hope it's up later or even tomorrow.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

screenwritersblues posted:

Anyone else having issues with Spotify today? Apparently people all over the world are having log in problems. I tried doing the uninstall and reinstall trick like I do with iTunes, but that didn't work. I hope it's up later or even tomorrow.

Haven't had any problems, but then again I've been using mobile today, with synced playlists offline, so I wouldn't have noticed :v:

http://www.spotify.com/se/help/service-status/ -- for current status
http://twitter.com/SpotifyStatus -- status log

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

NOBEARD posted:

Haven't had any problems, but then again I've been using mobile today, with synced playlists offline, so I wouldn't have noticed :v:

http://www.spotify.com/se/help/service-status/ -- for current status
http://twitter.com/SpotifyStatus -- status log

Seems that there was a problem earlier today and it looks like it's been fixed. However, no I have to resync all my playlists back to off line.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I imagine that most here are already on it, but you can find a beta for the new apps version of Spotify if you go through the Swedish site.

http://www.spotify.com/se/download/previews/

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The Modern Leper posted:

I imagine that most here are already on it, but you can find a beta for the new apps version of Spotify if you go through the Swedish site.

Oh man, this rules. Kudos for the tip.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice

The Modern Leper posted:

Spotifapps posted:

To make Spotify Apps as personal and social as possible, we'll give providers of the apps you choose to visit access to your Spotify ID, and limited information about your Spotify use - such as currently playing song, play queue, library and playlists. This will help tailor the apps to your music tastes. App providers will only use this information for the purpose of providing you with their apps.

So Spotifapps will see my current song, play queue and playlists. Not to bad IMO.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
Although the apps aren't very fleshed out yet, the potential is there. I can imagine there are going to be some pretty interesting apps. I hope Spotify's business model is sustainable because you can't do what they are trying to do with the iTunes model.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Does anyone playing with the new beta have Spotify mobile? I'm using Rdio currently on a two week trial, and am very impressed with its Android app. Curious to know how or if the apps integrate with the mobile spotify app.

I see that pitchfork lets you save its albums as playlists, but is that the current extent of it?

Separate note: Pitchfork has a presence on Rdio. Kinda annoyed that they haven't committed as much there, since they were there first.

EDIT: mobile, not premium.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

The Modern Leper posted:

Does anyone playing with the new beta have Spotify mobile? I'm using Rdio currently on a two week trial, and am very impressed with its Android app. Curious to know how or if the apps integrate with the mobile spotify app.

I see that pitchfork lets you save its albums as playlists, but is that the current extent of it?

Separate note: Pitchfork has a presence on Rdio. Kinda annoyed that they haven't committed as much there, since they were there first.

EDIT: mobile, not premium.

I have the beta, and premium/mobile, no real integration yet. Seems like to take advantage of the apps on mobile you'll have to use them on a computer and save what you find as a playlist... which isnt really taking advantage of them on mobile.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Figured that might be the case. All the promotion has been conspicuously silent regarding the apps.

I may drop the $20 and try both services for a month. I listen to rdio a lot on the phone, but I pretty much exclusively listen to (and rate songs from) spotify at my desktop. If the app is good (enough), I may just switch.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Does spotify allow account sharing within the same household on the unlimited or premium versions? I don't think I could justify getting both my wife and I a subscription, but if we could share one and use it at the same time we probably would. The free version stops playback on one machine if another starts playing with the same account; do the pay versions do likewise?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

stubblyhead posted:

Does spotify allow account sharing within the same household on the unlimited or premium versions? I don't think I could justify getting both my wife and I a subscription, but if we could share one and use it at the same time we probably would. The free version stops playback on one machine if another starts playing with the same account; do the pay versions do likewise?
The desktop version stops playing when you start the mobile version, so i would guess the same would be true for two desktop accounts.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Is there a way to prevent Spotify from renaming my local files? It adds "- Explicit Version" at the end of some of my song titles, even though they are correctly tagged in iTunes. Though, when I right-click the song in Spotify to change it, it shows the correct song title. I use last.fm, so it's kinda annoying if Spotify scrobbles a different song title even though it's the same song.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 8, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is there anyway to prevent Spotify from renaming my local files? It adds "- Explicit Version" at the end of some of my song titles, even though they are correctly tagged in iTunes. Though, when I right-click the song in Spotify to change it, it shows the correct song title. I use last.fm, so it's kinda annoying if Spotify scrobbles a different song title even though it's the same song.

This has been something that's annoying me as well, they play those ads "We love scrobbling!" but then they have songs tagged (Remixed 1994 Version) or (Album Version)
Nobody that scobbles has their songs tagged like that. :colbert:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Charlie Mopps posted:

The desktop version stops playing when you start the mobile version, so i would guess the same would be true for two desktop accounts.

correct, i did notice however that playback on desktop + mobile phone on the same wireless works like a charm.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

stubblyhead posted:

If paying itself isn't a dealbreaker, Rdio does a second account at 50% thing (third account at 20%, I believe).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Modern Leper posted:

If paying itself isn't a dealbreaker, Rdio does a second account at 50% thing (third account at 20%, I believe).

Hmm, that may work... Link?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

stubblyhead posted:

Hmm, that may work... Link?

Writing from my phone. Not too easy to play with links. Rdio.com will get you started, sorry I can't give more info right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

384 pages :stare:

I'm in the wrong business

• Locked thread