Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Wasn't Manhunt in Carcer City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'd like another Manhunt game, actually related to the original.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Can someone repost those pics? They're not showing up for me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was wondering, have images ever actually leaked out from Rockstar?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I could swear images of properties you could buy in VC leaked close to release date.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Dave posted:

I was wondering, have images ever actually leaked out from Rockstar?

They do have a solid reputation of keeping leaks shut tight regarding to GTA games. I wouldn't be surprised if they still kept a lid on them. I have a feeling most of these have been fakes.

Especially that person who tweeted those pics before resigning. Other than net cred, that person would be blacklisted from companies because they broke the NDA.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

0 rows returned posted:

I'd like another Manhunt game, actually related to the original.

This, and without the whole "Wah, I'm not a hardened killer but I have to do it anyway," bullshit. If I'm playing a sneaky murder simulator, I don't wanna hear the protagonist whine about it.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Garbow posted:

Looks like the state of Nevada, and Los Santos is smack where Las Vegas would be, in that case. So getting onboard the wild speculation bandwagon, can we assume Los Santos to be an amalgamation of the three previous major San Andreas cities?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well I'm 90% sure that's a fake, but that's a decent sized looking map. I hope the real version has about the same (or more) countryside and small towns.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
The picture of the player looks pretty fake

It looks like he quickly went over the trees with the lasso tool and didn't bother with some of the harder parts. He also accidently coloured one of the windows blue when he was recolouring the building. Also the lighting on the trees doesn't match the rest of the scene. This was mentioned earlier but there's no North map blip either.

Assuming the map is from the same source it's probably safe to say that's fake too.

I wonder if Rockstar gets all their art assets from Googling "Palm Trees Silhouette"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think it's a pretty safe rule of thumb not to believe anything unless it's confirmed by Rockstar. When it's a high-profile release like a GTA game, there'll be a constant stream of fake stuff until release.

pepperoniroller
Sep 11, 2001

Gardias posted:

It looks like he quickly went over the trees with the lasso tool and didn't bother with some of the harder parts. He also accidently coloured one of the windows blue when he was recolouring the building. Also the lighting on the trees doesn't match the rest of the scene. This was mentioned earlier but there's no North map blip either.

Assuming the map is from the same source it's probably safe to say that's fake too.

I wonder if Rockstar gets all their art assets from Googling "Palm Trees Silhouette"

:goonsay:

Good skills Kojack!

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I had more to sperg about but I figured I should just stop

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Still, you got to admit its a pretty good fake.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gardias posted:

Okay I'm convinced now. Fake it is! Fakes for everyone!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This is going to be a loooooong loving year.

Also I'm going to go ahead and commit heresy here and say that Saints Row 3 is pretty darn fun and would probably help salve this wait for most of you. It seems like the retarded lovechild of Crackdown and GTA:SA.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 17, 2011

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
The shape of the fake map is also similar to the ripped out part of this:

probably on purpose

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's not heresy, the Saints Row games are good fun and set out to do very different things with the crime sandbox genre than GTA. There's no reason why you can't enjoy both.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is going to be a loooooong loving year.

Also I'm going to go ahead and commit heresy here and say that Saints Row 3 is pretty darn fun and would probably help salve this wait for most of you. It seems like the retarded lovechild of Crackdown and GTA:SA.

Yeah I got it in that day 1 amazon sale for pc and ran into a bunch of minor but annoying issues that mainly boil down to poor AI and other coding, but overall it looks decent and has a bunch of wacky things to do. The driving physics are more arcadey than gta4 but I'd hesitate to say they're as enjoyable as gta:sa just because the use of the drift button is basically required. Character customization isn't quite APB levels but pretty great. I wish the follow cam while driving was more like GTA4 though, it's a little close for my taste and really jerky when you alter it with the mouse, but as with everything else you get used to it. Anyone looking for a wacky gta should give it a try, or wait for a steam sale.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not heresy, the Saints Row games are good fun and set out to do very different things with the crime sandbox genre than GTA. There's no reason why you can't enjoy both.

I just like saying it because the lady of the house is die hard SR and I am GTA-4-lyfe. It's rough times in our house right now.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

FetusOvaries posted:

The shape of the fake map is also similar to the ripped out part of this:

probably on purpose

what

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I would like to see better, more realistic hair on the women, that blows with the wind and when they walk and turn. It seems like, if the engine supports flexible cloth, it can support flexible long hair (long hair guys as well as girls). Same thing for women's skirts - they should be flexible.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Wizard Master posted:

I would like to see better, more realistic hair on the women, that blows with the wind and when they walk and turn. It seems like, if the engine supports flexible cloth, it can support flexible long hair (long hair guys as well as girls). Same thing for women's skirts - they should be flexible.

Hair has never been good in games. Just look at the WWE games, they've been trying since 2000!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wizard Master posted:

Not so sure about hair but skirts are certainly doable, look at Assassins' Creed. And they managed to gets lots of people on screen at once, too!

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
It's weird that the person who doctored those fakes would go through all that effort and still place the dollar sign after the number.

I hope GTA V has the headshot animation from RDR or something even better.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Garbow posted:

Looks like a lovely copy of Saints Row 2

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wizard Master posted:

Realistic hair is actually really hard to do, because to do it you need to simulate almost all the individual hairs at a time, and there's about 110,000 hairs on your head.

It was a Big Deal when CGI movies finally started getting realistic hair, and those get to use rooms full of fast computers that get to render one frame per minute - it'd be a real challenge to do it on our 6 year old consoles in real time, or even on modern fast computers in real time.

So yeah, uh, just saying, realistic hair is actually hard as heck and that's why you rarely see it attempted.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, it took pretty much all the way until Tangled for hair to be animated in movies dynamically. Before that, when hair wasn't completely stiff, it was still mostly just several stiff sections with hair-like texturing. There is a sort of cheating way to do it where the motion looks reasonable and it's not too graphically expensive if all of the hairs lie on sheets and you just move and stretch the sheets, but to have that not result in erratic hair movement or the hair just intersecting everything without abandon, it still requires a whole lot of computation on the physics side of things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Alice: Madness Returns probably has the best-animated hair in games, for what little that's worth. And even then, only Alice herself has the "realistic" hair, and the engine practically needed a steroid injection to manage it.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Kymera posted:

It's weird that the person who doctored those fakes would go through all that effort and still place the dollar sign after the number.

I hope GTA V has the headshot animation from RDR or something even better.

I wonder if they could implement something like dead-eye.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Or RDR's executions. When you're tired of being shot at for 5 minutes, folding someone in half with a sawn-off to the belly makes everything all right again.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Durgat posted:

Looks like a lovely copy of Saints Row 2

It actually doesn't, except that they both have an island.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

It actually doesn't, except that they both have an island.

Yeah, what the hell. Looks nothing like it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It was a great map though, that is the first problem I had with SR3; Steelport feels so much smaller.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Steelport has mostly 90° corners. Look at the SR2 map, it's an irregular pseudo-organic chaotic layout. That makes it feel differently.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Zedd posted:

It was a great map though, that is the first problem I had with SR3; Steelport feels so much smaller.

Steelport feels really generic and uninspired as a city. It didn't really feel any different than Stillwater, and I wonder what was the point of making a new city in the first place.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

BrandonGK posted:

Steelport feels really generic and uninspired as a city. It didn't really feel any different than Stillwater, and I wonder what was the point of making a new city in the first place.

Probably because taking over Stilwater for the third time would be pushing it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BrandonGK posted:

Steelport feels completely different from Stillwater.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zedd posted:

It's a graphics thing. Volition was working with a new engine, so they had to scale back, just like SA to GTA4. Only they decided to make Steelport more like a 24-hour gangland free-for-all than a living city the way Rockstar did with GTA4's.

It is still a shame. SR2's graphics engine might have been held together with glue and string, but it was incredibly flexible and provided a lot of variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I understand the reasons why, Don't get me wrong. :)
I just liked Stillwater's layout in general.

• Locked thread