Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Bob Morales posted:

The 11" Air and the base Mini

Not a huge deal for grandma who just wants to surf the web (especially combined with the SSD on the Air) but they really should just do 4GB since it probably costs about 7 dollars for Apple to add 2GB more. Unless they're doing 2x1GB or something to get rid of all their 1GB chips.

I think the real reason is how great Apple is at the upselling game. They really want a $999 model so that your eye is drawn to that as a reasonable "starting price", but they're hoping that the next immediate step is to pay another $100 to upgrade to 4GB. Even from there, it's easy to keep upgrading for "Oh, just $100 more!" and next thing you know you're buying a maxed out 13".

But in all seriousness, you're not supposed to buy the 2GB model, it's just there to establish an easy transition to the 4GB model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The 2gb model works great for me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I upgraded to Lion and now I'm getting weird black "spots" when scrolling. They go away when a new page is loaded. Is it a sign my video card is on its last legs?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I see the spots you're talking about.

Bob Morales posted:

Not a huge deal for grandma who just wants to surf the web (especially combined with the SSD on the Air) but they really should just do 4GB since it probably costs about 7 dollars for Apple to add 2GB more. Unless they're doing 2x1GB or something to get rid of all their 1GB chips.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation, beyond market segmentation, though I'm no expert.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

fleshweasel posted:

I don't think I see the spots you're talking about.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation, beyond market segmentation, though I'm no expert.

I think he's referring to the black spots on the edge of the viewport in the browser.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

An 11" laptop is really a netbook, and netbooks are probably okay with 2GB RAM for now.

Also, they want effective product differentiation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Josh Lyman posted:

An 11" laptop is really a netbook, and netbooks are probably okay with 2GB RAM for now.

Also, they want effective product differentiation.

Except that it has a real processor so it's not a netbook. 2GB is fine for what I use my Air for (surfing forums, IRC, posturing on public wifi). It'd be nice to have 4GB (for example, if it was my only computer) becuase it boots up with 700MB taken by the OS and like 150MB taken for video. Mac OS X and web browsers aren't known for being lean.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I upgraded to Lion and now I'm getting weird black "spots" when scrolling. They go away when a new page is loaded. Is it a sign my video card is on its last legs?

Have you updated Firefox recently?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can I use a Mac Pro SATA HDD (with a little apple logo on the label) inside a normal PC, or will it not get seen by the BIOS?

I have a drive spare that I don't need in my Mac Pro at work, but would go well in my other work machine which is a Win7 box.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thehustler posted:

Can I use a Mac Pro SATA HDD (with a little apple logo on the label) inside a normal PC, or will it not get seen by the BIOS?

Sure, it's just a hard drive.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Just got my 13" Air. Photoshop CS5 loads in 1.5 seconds. :pcgaming:

Doing design work on this thing is a dream. A DREAM I TELL YOU EVERYONE BUY A MACBOOK AIR LIKE NOW NOW NOW.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 16, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, just wait until you edit something so big the VM eats up the last of the free space on the SSD

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

awesome-express posted:

Doing design work on this thing is a dream. A DREAM I TELL YOU EVERYONE BUY A MACBOOK AIR LIKE NOW NOW NOW.

Welcome to paradise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does anyone happen to remember what the Black Friday discount on 13" MBAs was last year? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait a week or just go ahead and buy now with my work discount of $50.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

cheese eats mouse posted:

If it shows up in a screenshot, it's probably not the video card. More likely it's some weird firefox display bug.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Endless Mike posted:

Does anyone happen to remember what the Black Friday discount on 13" MBAs was last year? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait a week or just go ahead and buy now with my work discount of $50.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/25/black-friday-2010-major-discounts-on-apple-and-mac-products/

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

evensevenone posted:

If it shows up in a screenshot, it's probably not the video card. More likely it's some weird firefox display bug.

Awesome. I haven't updated Firefox recently so that's probably it then.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Can anyone recommend an external CD/DVD burner that's a) cheap and b) reliable?

I keep going back and forth about fixing the broken internal one in my 2007 Mac mini. If I did, it would probably be just to sell the thing right away. But I figure having an external will be nice for the new Macbook Air in the house.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

awesome-express posted:

SSDs were made for Photoshop. It loads up amazingly fast on my MB Pro as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lord funk posted:

Can anyone recommend an external CD/DVD burner that's a) cheap and b) reliable?

I keep going back and forth about fixing the broken internal one in my 2007 Mac mini. If I did, it would probably be just to sell the thing right away. But I figure having an external will be nice for the new Macbook Air in the house.

Do you want it to be portable, or stationary?
Buy an external 5.25" casing and put a standard full size DVD burner in it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
What should I do if I want to output video from my MacBook Air through Mini DisplayPort -> HDMI, but would prefer to use a 3.5mm audio cable connected to external speakers instead of the built-in speakers in my computer monitor?

Edit: This cable gets in tomorrow so I don't know if it's possible.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I assume you would choose the 3.5mm output in Sys Prefs as your audio output device instead of HDMI and it would work as expected.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Hint: Alt + click volume in the menu bar lets you also choose outputs
I use it all the time to switch between HDMI and speakers since my MBA it's usually connected to my TV

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I'm thinking about getting a macbook air or possibly pro. As a long time pc windows/linux user I am not at all familiar with the kinds of subtle hurtles I may need to cross to get my normal dev environment set up, that usually being VIM, shh tunnels to work, and various tools depending on the language, though not Visual Studio. From what I read I should have no problem for the most part seeing as how bootcamp seems to suggest I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Can someone tell me about real world battery life and portability. I'm looking for something I can use as a main computer while I'm on the road, I'm willing to give up a quite a bit for battery life and portability though. Currently I'm leaning towards the 11" air as it has such a nice compact form factor. But some reviews suggest that the 13" will have better battery life. I seem to be kind of stuck on the edge. Is the 13" a lot bigger? I mean obviously this is subjective so if anyone who has used both could weigh in that would be great.

Also, is the processor upgrade worth it in either case? How will that affect battery life? I assume it would be best to get 4GB of memory since I'm looking at running windows occasionally.

Lastly, if I go 13" air then I might also consider the 13" macbook pro, can someone comment on how I might make this decision?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have just upgraded my MBP (early 2011 13" i5) to 8Gb of RAM (£30 for crucial) and its a different machine :)

I have a late 2008 iMac and its sat at home not being used... In the office I use my laptop "docked" to a 22" monitor but think I really should be using the iMac. Can i extend my desktop to the iMac? How would I connect as I currently use a mini dvi to vga for my current setup.

SSD is next but I use the super drive so need an optibay and a dock and in the UK its expensive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Noxious posted:

I'm thinking about getting a macbook air or possibly pro. As a long time pc windows/linux user I am not at all familiar with the kinds of subtle hurtles I may need to cross to get my normal dev environment set up, that usually being VIM, shh tunnels to work, and various tools depending on the language, though not Visual Studio. From what I read I should have no problem for the most part seeing as how bootcamp seems to suggest I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Can someone tell me about real world battery life and portability. I'm looking for something I can use as a main computer while I'm on the road, I'm willing to give up a quite a bit for battery life and portability though. Currently I'm leaning towards the 11" air as it has such a nice compact form factor. But some reviews suggest that the 13" will have better battery life. I seem to be kind of stuck on the edge. Is the 13" a lot bigger? I mean obviously this is subjective so if anyone who has used both could weigh in that would be great.

Also, is the processor upgrade worth it in either case? How will that affect battery life? I assume it would be best to get 4GB of memory since I'm looking at running windows occasionally.

Lastly, if I go 13" air then I might also consider the 13" macbook pro, can someone comment on how I might make this decision?
Are you going to use it mostly booted into something other than OS X? Cause I think that skews the battery life question a bit.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

japtor posted:

Are you going to use it mostly booted into something other than OS X? Cause I think that skews the battery life question a bit.

I can't say for sure because I have never owned a mac before. I suspect that almost all of the time that I will need to use windows it will be enough to use a virtual machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Noxious posted:

Unless you need and optical drive, 8GB RAM or > 256GB HD space, get the Air over the Pro. The 13" Air has a better screen resolution and almost as much battery life.

The 11" Air has a low-res screen and the shortest battery life but it's so small and cute.

If you're going to run Windows, I'd say just get one of the PC Ultrabooks that have came out. It'll be cheaper and you won't get the OS X benefits anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Noxious posted:

I can't say for sure because I have never owned a mac before. I suspect that almost all of the time that I will need to use windows it will be enough to use a virtual machine.
If you don't need 3D hardware acceleration you won't feel the difference between a fullscreen VM on a SSD and native.

I love, love, love my 13" Air

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
I'm looking into buying a refurb i5 or i7 13" MBA - is there much of a real-world difference in terms of performance between the two? The i5 is $1099 and the i7 is $1439, for reference. It seems to me that the difference probably is not worth $340 (well, and the i7 has a 256GB SSD rather than 128, but that isn't a big deal for me), but I'm curious to get more opinions on it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The i7 is not worth it on the Air.

edit: I should clarify that. The i7 is not really worth it on the 13" Air. It does make a noticeable difference on the 11" Air, since its base i5 doesn't turbo nearly as high as the base i5 on the 13".

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 17, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Where are you getting the 13" i5 for $1099? I see a refurb core 2 duo for $1,099

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Mu Zeta posted:

Where are you getting the 13" i5 for $1099?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A

My check just has to show up and this to not disappear and then I can buy this :neckbeard:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The i7 is not worth it on the Air.

edit: I should clarify that. The i7 is not really worth it on the 13" Air. It does make a noticeable difference on the 11" Air, since its base i5 doesn't turbo nearly as high as the base i5 on the 13".

It's like 10-15% faster on intensive tasks, but it's very minimal time savings for the extra cost.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I'm looking into buying a refurb i5 or i7 13" MBA - is there much of a real-world difference in terms of performance between the two?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the-2011-macbook-air-11-13inch-review/10

It won't make or break anything, I'd save the money towards a new one in 2 years.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes.
I put an i7 into my 2010 i5 when I had it.

I have support through April 2013 on my Late 2009 27" i5, but damned if I don't want the ~30% speed gain an i7 would give me. I'd already have to remove my data doubler and other dubious tasks before taking it in for repair should I ever need it, but yikes. Pretty sure this would throw a wet blanket on anything but my own support.

Totally doing it over the holidays. Any tips?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
My Early 2011 MBP shut down suddenly, and now the magsafe is blinking green and yellow very rapidly and it won't turn on. What do I do?

(I'm especially :ohdear: since it has an SSD installed and I don't want to have to revert to take it in to the store if possible. It's been working fine for a couple months, then this.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tried it with another magsafe? They can do that for you at the Fruit Stand which is where you should be taking it since it's still in warranty.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Tried it with another magsafe? They can do that for you at the Fruit Stand which is where you should be taking it since it's still in warranty.

Yeah, but do I have to swap everything back out to take it in there just to test another magsafe? It's not really horrible, but it's not fun either. (plus I would have to reinstall the OS)

EDIT: Nevermind, reseating the battery cable fixed it. No idea why, though.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I have a 1TB SATA hard drive that I've been using for about nine months with my Mac Pro. It's been plugged in via an external USB enclosure (This one), and it has stopped working as of a couple of weeks ago. I came into my office to find it lying on its side on a stack of envelopes (normally it's positioned vertically by means of a stand), and it no longer mounts. So clearly it's fallen over, but I wouldn't think that such a short fall would kill it.

What I've done is stick the drive into my extra drive bay on the Mac, and open up Disk Utility. The drive appears greyed out in the list of drives, and a verify/repair process comes out saying, "The volume Big Bertha appears to be OK." However, I'm unable to mount the drive. Whenever I try, I get a message saying, "The disk "Big Bertha" could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting." Like I said, though, First Aid shows that the drive is fine.

The only thing on this drive is my iTunes library, which is quite large, and it would be a huge pain to lose all of this, especially for such a loving retarded reason (tipping over onto a stack of paper.) Anyone have any ideas of what I can do? I'm at a loss.