Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Cat Machine posted:

I like Strider as an anchor, but the main barrier to success with him for me right now is that his OTG feels kinda awkward to do. I might pair him with an OTG assist just to avoid the mad rush of doing the formationB + shoot every time I land.

Yeah I've tried him on point and on anchor and while he can be a decent battery he works way better as an anchor due to low health and his need for meter, especially 3 bars for Ouroboros. L3XF + Ouroboros is hilariously vicious and nearly unblockable when combined with his teleports. He's also twice as fast.

The basic gameplan with him is harassment and rushdown and mixups. With his robot dogs and birds you can lock people in a corner, especially when paired with good assists. You should be teleporting and doing mixups with him because he has tons of mixup options and he's fast so he's hard to block.

On an unrelated note I want to say that I'm currently playing Wesker/Vergil/Strider and I'm using Ame-no-Makuro or whatever the dashing sword slash is for Strider's assist, and Rapid Slash for Vergil's assist, which means their THC hypers are robot rush and million blades or whatever it's called, and those combined with Maximum Wesker and some mashing create one of the most damaging THC's I've ever seen off an OTG Wesker gunshot.

OK now I have a question: What do I do with Vergil? I'm having trouble adjusting to his play style and I really don't have much of a gameplan with him. His teleports aren't really teleports because he can be hit out of them and his normals are slow as gently caress. How should I be getting in on people? What should I do when I do? I have Wesker's assist set to OTG gunshot but I'm having trouble figuring out my best options after I air combo and OTG. Can someone give me some good pointers or link me some videos?

Chocolate America fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Great new Arthur tech: Pick Hawkeye

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Every time I'm on Arthur I try to backdash, have a flashback to my MvC2 team with Mega on point. Then I start drinking. Heavily.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Behold, as I launch THREE daggers, in a slow, but steady, progression! Huzzah!

TRIPLEARROW TRIPLEARROW TRIPLEARROW TRIPLEARROW TRIPLEARROW

Why god... what have I done :eng99:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 17, 2011

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Chocolate America posted:

Yeah I've tried him on point and on anchor and while he can be a decent battery he works way better as an anchor due to low health and his need for meter, especially 3 bars for Ouroboros. L3XF + Ouroboros is hilariously vicious and nearly unblockable when combined with his teleports. He's also twice as fast.

The basic gameplan with him is harassment and rushdown and mixups. With his robot dogs and birds you can lock people in a corner, especially when paired with good assists. You should be teleporting and doing mixups with him because he has tons of mixup options and he's fast so he's hard to block.

On an unrelated note I want to say that I'm currently playing Wesker/Vergil/Strider and I'm using Ame-no-Makuro or whatever the dashing sword slash is for Strider's assist, and Rapid Slash for Vergil's assist, which means their THC hypers are robot rush and million blades or whatever it's called, and those combined with Maximum Wesker and some mashing create one of the most damaging THC's I've ever seen off an OTG Wesker gunshot.

OK now I have a question: What do I do with Vergil? I'm having trouble adjusting to his play style and I really don't have much of a gameplan with him. His teleports aren't really teleports because he can be hit out of them and his normals are slow as gently caress. How should I be getting in on people? What should I do when I do? I have Wesker's assist set to OTG gunshot but I'm having trouble figuring out my best options after I air combo and OTG. Can someone give me some good pointers or link me some videos?

I don't play vergil but strider teleport assist is probably better for him because it makes your enemy afraid to jump and that lets you cross up with teleports/blade dash easier imo.

Plus if they do jump and get hit, free otg combo (I think verg has an otg right)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Cuchulain posted:

I'll say it again, you want a braindead easy way to get level five Frank? Skrull's Supernova. It hits 99 times when mashed. And lasts long enough to get a camera shot in.

So how do you do this? THC and pick a hyper for Frank that ends quickly?

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
The only hyper frank gets in THC is the shopping cart which is about mid length but yea inferno lasts longer than it.

It's the reason people are saying use nemesis as well. When you're done carting him, nem is on the third rocket I think and you can take a picture.

Dante's million dollars also lasts forever and you can take like two pictures during it I think lol.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Frank needs a new camera. Mine takes like 6 pictures a second. Ohh wait he must be waiting for the flash to charge.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
With Nemesis behind Frank two pictures is pretty easy. By the time the shopping cart is done Nemesis is rocket jumping towards you, so you snap a shot right before Nemesis lands on the opponent, Nemesis bounces them up in the air and you take a second shot before they recover.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
So for all this talk about Frank and how good his assist is and photo taking opportunities; how do people see him fitting into a team?

Is he a good point char that you can power up and dominate with? Or do you want to use him primarily for his assist? Or is he flexible enough to do both so the end result is he's just a good char.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Niddhogg posted:

Exactly. I know Capcom was trying to stay away from "X is like Y except better in every way" but, welp,

Also, XF3 Hawkeye is every bit as ridiculous as XF3 gold armor Arthur without any of Arthur's mobility problems or gold armor's weaknesses.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Really, Why the gently caress does Arthur not have a dash.

Fieldmedic
Apr 21, 2007

Suppositories For Everyone!
Who won Wed night fights this week?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fieldmedic posted:

Who won Wed night fights this week?

Combofiend. Dude's got a really good Hawkeye.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I think Frank's a good point character but he really needs to be at least level 3 to be effective.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cuchulain posted:

Really, Why the gently caress does Arthur not have a dash.

He's a heavy zoning character, giving him good mobility options would make him way too good, who in the right mind would make a character with a lot of zoning tools and also a quick way to get in, that'd be too powerful!

<makes Hawkeye>

:downs:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Niddhogg posted:

It's actually a brilliant move on Capcom's part: Using Arthur makes the game as hard as Ghosts n' Goblins.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
What's the deal with Rocket Raccoon's bear trap? Sometimes it causes ground bounce, sometimes....it doesn't

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

It's a terrible move, in that it feels really buggy. Sometimes it ground bounces, sometimes is doesn't deal damage while passing through an opponent. There's a lot of little things like that in the game. Hopefully they get patched out pretty soon.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Niddhogg posted:

What's the deal with Rocket Raccoon's bear trap? Sometimes it causes ground bounce, sometimes....it doesn't

probably because hes a bad character

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ghostpilot posted:

I didn't think of trying it until you mentioned it, but went ahead and gave it a go. It's actually pretty easy. What's happening in your case?

Also, which OTG shot are you using (f+M or d+H)? If it's the former you'll have to be cleaner with the motion lest you get a grenade instead. The latter you can perform as part of the motion for the magnum.

It may be helpful to turn on the input display as well.

Yeah I turned on input display and quickly realized I was hitting the H for the magnum command too fast after the OTG.

In other news, Eventhubs and Gamespot put up the dates and packages for the Alt Costumes:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/nov/17/complete-dlc-costume-breakdown-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3/

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

Brother Entropy posted:

Combofiend. Dude's got a really good Hawkeye.

Is there an archive for this stream anywhere? I'm using hawkeye too and would be interested to see what he's busting out.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

The KoRn Identity posted:

He's pretty good, actually. I'm convinced he's got an Infinite, but my execution honestly isn't up to it. I'm bad at shoryukens.

... I'm too poor to buy a stick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

duffath posted:

Is there an archive for this stream anywhere? I'm using hawkeye too and would be interested to see what he's busting out.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300215444

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Arthur is still pretty bad but at least they put a hilarious amount of invincibility on his Heaven Slash, that move fucks with people online so badly.

Also Firebrand is almost as bad as a match up for Arthur here then in it was in Super Gn'G.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 17, 2011

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Cuchulain posted:

He's pretty good, actually. I'm convinced he's got an Infinite, but my execution honestly isn't up to it. I'm bad at shoryukens.

... I'm too poor to buy a stick.

Let us know what it is so Nidd or some other guy who's good at execution can try it out!

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

duffath posted:

In addition to the stream archive, you can get a good look at Combofiend's Hawkeye in this set with Fanatiq.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Groghammer posted:

Let us know what it is so Nidd or some other guy who's good at execution can try it out!

I got drunk and wrote the annotation down on... something. I'll try to find it today. It involves setting up a Spring super near the corner, getting them in the corner, then tossing an oil bomb at their feet, opening them up, comboing them from the corner into the Spring, dropping them onto the oil, lighting it, and repeating. It was confusing as hell, but I was able to get enough loops to kill Thor, once.

The hardest part is getting the second Spring out while they're getting knocked into the first one, then getting back to them via Rocket Skates fast enough to knock them into the oil and otg them.

Long story short, I love Rocky, but I feel like he's the new Jill: Technically gunning for best character in the game, if played by a goddamn robot.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

The KoRn Identity posted:

Nah.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Niddhogg posted:

If you do it too late the enemy is hit standing for some reason and you don't get a ground bounce.

You need to do your air combo (use jm jm js or jh js) as late into your super jump as possible, and start the bear trap input really fast, rocket lands almost instantly from a proper js.

bonus raccoon content: I've been using (jm jm jh) m/2m h/2h s jm jm js 623m 236pp mash as my bread and butter, because my dumb fingers cannot get the stupid log trap to connect after a bear trap. That'd look like (jm jm jh) m/2m h/2h s jm jm js 623m 623h 236pp mash with smart hands. Bread and butter into a level 3 is basically the same thing with some more crap added on! (jm jm jh) m/2m h/2h s jm jm js 623m 623h s jm jm js 623pp mash (236pp mash).

Rocket raccoon's jm doesn't hit overhead, but the thing can be done super low off of the ground and has some forward movement. It might be possible to do instant jm, react to a pushblock with jm, jh and if you saw the jm hit go into combo, if you get pushblocked, rocket skates out of range to safety, and if you don't get pushblocked but don't know if you landed a hit go into 2m when you land. Still ain't hit? Teleport or rocket skates back out.

Rocky can also do instant air jS into rocket skates or the gun special. Doing this off of a backwards jump looks like an unholy hell of a time for lots of characters to rush down against.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 17, 2011

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

More info on all the DLC costumes here. They're going to be sold in packs of four for $4 and the full set will be $20 on March 6, 2012. The link has info on which characters are bundled together and when the packs will be released.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ghostpilot posted:

Sep 25, 2011 21:26
I was thinking about this about a week ago, but forgot to post about it. They were wanting to get away from having characters that were too similar to each other (why use Iron Man when you have Magneto, etc); but I'm rather struggling to see a reason to use Arthur when Hawkeye exists.

Ghostpilot posted:

Oct 31, 2011 11:37
Also, Haggar is so screwed in UMvC3. So screwed. And for them to say that they were going to try and avoid one character essentially being a better/worse version of another, between RR and Hawkeye I'm failing to see a reason to choose Arthur

At this point I could be all :smug: but really, I hate to see any character rendered irrelevant. :( Though remains to be seen if I was right about Haggar (since he's all but dropped off the radar).

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah I turned on input display and quickly realized I was hitting the H for the magnum command too fast after the OTG.

Excellent, glad you got that sorted. :)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

At this point I could be all :smug: but really, I hate to see any character rendered irrelevant. :( Though remains to be seen if I was right about Haggar (since he's all but dropped off the radar).

As far as I can tell Lariat is still a really god damned strong assist.

Also his OTG isn't nearly as useless as everyone thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLPO7KNh2c

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Mayor's problem has always been being zoned out, and now especially with zone characters being buffed in a sense with no blocking airdash, he's worse as a character along with a nerfed lariat.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Tae posted:

The Mayor's problem has always been being zoned out, and now especially with zone characters being buffed in a sense with no blocking airdash, he's worse as a character along with a nerfed lariat.

As long as he is still one of the best "get the hell off me" assists in the game, he'll be around. Don't you worry.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

As far as I can tell Lariat is still a really god damned strong assist.

Also his OTG isn't nearly as useless as everyone thought:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyLPO7KNh2c

My Arthur/Haggar team is now officially validated. I mean, drat, 100% combos on near-everyone in the cast in the corner for one meter that builds itself.

And yeah, people act like Lariat got as nerfed as Gustaff Fire, but the fact is it only got invincibility removed for two frames on startup. It was punishable by beams and whatnot anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 18, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Groghammer posted:

My Arthur/Haggar team is now officially validated. I mean, drat, 100% combos on near-everyone in the cast in the corner for one meter that build itself.

And yeah, people act like Lariat got as nerfed as Gustaff Fire, but the fact is it only got invincibility removed for two frames on startup. It was punishable by beams and whatnot anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Well yeah but before Haggar would pop out into a beam for a spin, take 1 hit and pop back out. With invincibility gone from the beginning of the assist it's vulnerable to being baited and punished. It's probably still good but it is punishable now.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Groghammer posted:

My Arthur/Haggar team is now officially validated. I mean, drat, 100% combos on near-everyone in the cast in the corner for one meter that build itself.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Great to hear that Nemesis works well with Frank, I was going to try it out tonight but you guys already did the legwork for me :shepface:

Is there a list of the new license card titles yet? I want to know if there's anything better than "I'm The Mayor". Though, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Niddhogg posted:

Doom needs no assistance. Doom needs only for you to clap when he is victorious.

• Locked thread