Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Pope Mobile posted:

I often click a link on SA fully expecting the goat man or a party of lemons to greet me. It's different in the Star Wars thread. Instead of a gaping anus or orgy of old men blowing each other, I expect any ludicrous idea or explanation, followed by a link to Wookieepedia, to be true and some level of EU canon.

Ditto.

In the unlikely event that when Jorge dies, ownership and direction of all things Star Wars ever falls to me, I'm going to declare that the only EU material that is canon is the Tag and Bink quadrilogy and Skippy the Jedi Droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

This actually isn't too far off from not one, but two comics from Star Wars Tales. Admittedly only is about Luke's hand and not a lightsaber, but still:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Lightsaber
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Secret_Tales_of_Luke%27s_Hand!

"The Secret Tales of Luke's Hand" sounds like a cute little story, and I could totally see Han telling that sort of tale to his young kids. The one part that gave me pause was that Anakin asks why Luke always wears a glove on one hand. But if I recall correctly, he only did that after his hand was shot by Jabba's guard and the interior was exposed. Did he never get it repaired in the years afterward?

I guess I answered my own question. It is "canon" that Luke just let his artificial tendons just sit there in the open and never got new synthetic skin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe he never got it repaired to remind himself how easily one can start down the path to the dark side. After all, it was seeing that damaged artificial hand after cutting off Vader's that made him realize that he was giving into his anger.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Darth Freddy posted:

I fall for these fake links every time.

So do I. :)

The EU is often indistinguishable from a parody of itself. After I came up with the wacky Jawa adventure for the lightsaber... I went back and double-checked that something like that wasn't already in its official history. Because I could totally believe that it would be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Apart from the Legacy Of The Force and afterwards, I've sort of weirdly grown fond of the whacky over the top EU.

It certainly is fun to make fun of. Speaking of which, is the book mock thread done and dusted? Nobody has heart in doing anything for it anymore :(.

It has earnt a Gold Mining anyways if it is.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, I'm done unless there's more going to go on there. Star Wars Science Adventures has one more book, but it's sort of a wacky one-off; I don't think that can support the thread by itself. I wouldn't mind doing it, but I already did the basic joke for the duology.

Although now that I think about it, some of my pics I hosted on waffleimages. I should get those up on a new host sometime, just in case...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, If you used Waffle images might be a good idea to get a new host before it gets mined.

But I was kinda hoping Courtship and that one about the Falcon gets done as well as a few more comic strips.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Canon explanation for that is the gravity pull from planets interfering with hyperdrive, but it would be pretty awesome.

Yeah if I remember correctly, a hyperdrive won't go or will perform an emergency cut off if it detects a gravity shadow in it's path. Interdictor Cruisers pull ships out of lightspeed/prevent escapes by projecting gravity wells to trick hyperdrives into turning off.

Edit: Interdictor Cruisers are the coolest things ever and make a lot of sense in-universe.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Today is the 33rd anniversary of The Holiday Special! My favorite C-Canon Star Wars film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zakharov posted:

How does time work in the Star Wars universe? Everyone talks about days, hours, and years, but won't measurement of each vary greatly by what planet you're on? Is there a canon explanation for this?

In the Vernor Vinge "Zones of Thought" setting which takes place far in the future and deals with people who spend lifetimes living in space they do time by just measuring things in seconds. For longer amounts of time they just measure stuff in "kilo" and "mega" seconds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Locutus of Bald posted:

Today is the 33rd anniversary of The Holiday Special! My favorite C-Canon Star Wars film.

Cool. I'll toast it at dinner tonight and see what horrible, physical reactions people have at being reminded of its existence. :)

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, If you used Waffle images might be a good idea to get a new host before it gets mined.

But I was kinda hoping Courtship and that one about the Falcon gets done as well as a few more comic strips.

Did anybody ever do the Han Solo Trilogy? I'd like to see a running tally of how many time "vrelts" and "stim-tea" are mentioned.

edit: Minions of Xendor!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

Did anybody ever do the Han Solo Trilogy? I'd like to see a running tally of how many time "vrelts" and "stim-tea" are mentioned.

I think somebody started it, as well as those insane Lando based books too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I was really enjoying the Lando books, SPACE LIBERTARIAN!!!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

I was really enjoying the Lando books, SPACE LIBERTARIAN!!!

Smug space libertarian.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I know Star Wars by rule of Lucas must have the Plante of ______. Like the Planet of deserts, or forrests or Cities.

Its just drat odd/interesting when an author says, "I know! The planet of (societal structure I dont like)" So Lando can swing mess it all up.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Anyone else planning on getting Revan?

I read the preview bit on Amazon and I'm pretty sure I liked it. Although at this point I would start doing heroin if it had anything to do with SWTOR

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Between Karpyshyn's other novels and what I've read he does to KOTOR II, I have no interest in Revan. I am, however, eagerly anticipating Darth Plagueis.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I am going to get it when it releases, just wish it was a little cheaper for the kindle. Personally I think Drew Karpyshyn is one of the better EU authors out there right now. Never read his Mass Effect books but the Darth bane novels are awesome as hell and even half way makes you like the rear end hole that is Bane.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Never read his Mass Effect books but

Pray you never do.

But honestly I think the whole mysterious threat and Revan's disappearance are best left unexplained so that everyone can imagine their own fates for a character which was essentially "theirs". Plus unless the author is some god of scifi lit, I doubt they could ever meet the expectations of everyone who played the games (and certainly not with an enemy named Lord Scourge :rolleyes:)

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 19, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Pray you never do.

But honestly I think the whole mysterious threat and Revan's disappearance are best left unexplained so that everyone can imagine their own fates for a character which was essentially "theirs".

Good call. The make your own character type games lose meaning when there's a cannon character that isn't yours.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Pray you never do.

That bad huh?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hey guy's check it out

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Mobile posted:

Hey guy's check it out

That's basically my sex life.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Mister Roboto posted:

That's basically my sex life.

And mine, but usually the chick doesn't even need the Jabba costume.
:smith:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

That bad huh?

Yeah, yeah they are.

It's amazing he has a job involving writing at all.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I just finished 'Revan', and if you care about the lore in SWTOR at all, I'd highly suggest reading it.

However it ties up KOTOR 1 and 2 in ways fans only of the games might not like, and since they're in a book now, they're canon.

For instance, The Exile is now named and is a major character.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They might as well renamed KOTOR 2 'don't give a gently caress about this' jeeze.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I, too, think a Star Wars book should consist of looking for armor and potion power-ups and, when the armor turns out to be cursed, looking for a spell to remove it. Drew Karpyshyn is my god. All hail Drew Karpyshyn.

And the bad copy-paste artists at Bioware.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

quote:

Drew Karpyshyn

At least his name is Star Wars as gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So are any of TOR books worth reading if I really enjoyed KOTOR or should I just skip them?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
^^^I've read Deceived and it's...alright. It's not aggressively bad but it's got nothing to do with any of the KOTOR 1 or 2 characters (Just major characters in TOR). It's got 2 aspects I didnt like Jedi surviving a fall from ORBIT using the Force and getting nary a scratch, and the main sith lord being a whiney manchild crybaby
Only Revan has aspects related to KOTOR and if you liked 2 I'd probably avoid it.

arioch posted:

I, too, think a Star Wars book should consist of looking for armor and potion power-ups and, when the armor turns out to be cursed, looking for a spell to remove it. Drew Karpyshyn is my god. All hail Drew Karpyshyn.

And the bad copy-paste artists at Bioware.

We get it. You don't like Bioware. You gotta relax about this mate. Smoke some weed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What was the general reception to the Red Letter Media reviews on theforce.net? I'm honestly curious how much people deluded themselves into defending the movies.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was the general reception to the Red Letter Media reviews on theforce.net? I'm honestly curious how much people deluded themselves into defending the movies.

Didn't someone write a 100+ page rebuttal to the Phantom Menace review alone?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Enilev posted:

Yes. It was... painful. As I recall, it was mostly a treatise on how you need supplemental materials to understand the movie, how we just don't appreciate George's brilliance, and how the guy who wrote it really doesn't understand movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was that the same guy who tried to rebut the review but it became apparent he wasn't really paying attention to it or wasn't understanding the criticism. And then it was revealed that he named his son Anakin so he wasn't exactly unbiased.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
We need some links here. I haven't logged onto TF.N in years and I don't intend to any time soon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Was that the same guy who tried to rebut the review but it became apparent he wasn't really paying attention to it or wasn't understanding the criticism. And then it was revealed that he named his son Anakin so he wasn't exactly unbiased.

Boy is his face gonna be red when he gets around to ROTS.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Enilev posted:

That was probably me.

And most of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

NGL posted:

Yes. It was... painful. As I recall, it was mostly a treatise on how you need supplemental materials to understand the movie, how we just don't appreciate George's brilliance, and how the guy who wrote it really doesn't understand movies.

I'm gonna need links for this, as much as I love Star Wars, I love the schadenfruende feeling from reading about a disillusioned fan lose his poo poo over a review.