Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Am I evil? I just saw a Craigslist posting for the Ultimate Collector's Edition Batmobile and Build-a-Spongebob, both complete with instructions, for $25. Since I couldn't get up to the seller until the weekend at the earliest, I e-mailed them and told them that the Batmobile is easily worth $100 and the Spongebob itself can go for $30-60. To be honest, even if I could have gone up there tonight and bought them, I probably would have told the seller anyway, but still. I screwed some collector (or scalper) out of an awesome deal, but warned a seller they were undervaluing their uncommon sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Schindler's Fist posted:

How nerdy are we for posting that much?? :v: Just google 'Lego Digital Designer', it should be the first result. LEGO updates it regularly for Mac and Windows.

Is that.. is he...

OMG!

Yes, this astronaut built a LEGO model of the International Space Station - while inside said station... IN SPAAACE. I wonder if they took a photo of the model in front of a window...
gently caress a window, they should take it outside on the next spacewalk and swoosh it around a bit. Vacuum is no threat to Lego.

Looking at that plastic thing he built it in is making me picture sorting through pieces in zero-g. It's hard enough when they're sitting in a pile on my floor, it's got to be a nightmare when they're constantly floating around.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
In the late '80's, all the cool computing centers had supercomputers, and some had the CM-1 Connection Machine, with 1024 parallel processors in a black hypercube.

This is the first time I really 'got' SNOT (Studs Not On Top) construction. Here is some internal detail:

I'm looking into doing a Cray-1. It turns out that Lego folk call things like that 'The Round Tower Problem', and the angles used by the Cray are hard to do in Lego. Hinges, Technic beams, Technic stud pins, and plates might work, I don't know yet. I will study the Flickr Lego Techniques group some more, and try to grasp the weird stuff they do...

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
You could probably make a pretty good reproduction of a Cray-1 with 2x1s and hinges, but making it minifig scale could be tricky. Maybe using 1x1s with clips that grip a central pole or something.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Holy poo poo you guys, have you seen this???

https://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/15/lego-daily-planet/

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Holy poo poo you guys, have you seen this???

https://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/15/lego-daily-planet/

That's loving cool, all the little details and the architecture are amazing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/australia-to-build-lego-movie-20111115-1ng8w.html

Yeah, uh. :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My thought process was pretty ":smug: yeah it's just another Lego movie so what" until I saw "live action", then I joined you in :stare:

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
Live action? I don't see how that can not suck.

"At least with Lego, the critics will never be able to say the acting is wooden. It’s more likely to be plastic." :downs:

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011

AzMiLion posted:

Yes, we still use it.
I build all my stuff in LDD due to no longer having access to my bricks :/
have some useful links!

LDD&LDD Extended mode
Extended mode gives you access to more bricks and coloring options so you can make your pretty rainbow castles and post em in the thread!

Thanks guys! Now I just have to find time to play with it.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I'm expecting at least one head-swapping joke and it'll be terrible or terribly horrifying.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Just you watch, it'll be about Blacktron and the Black Falcons joining forces with Captain Redbeard to steal the rocket technology from the Ice Planet while the Wolfpack and the Forestmen team up with M:Tron to solve the mystery of the monorail, and then I'll laugh at you all for having so little faith. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Time Cowboy posted:

it'll be about Blacktron and the Black Falcons joining forces with Captain Redbeard to steal the rocket technology from the Ice Planet while the Wolfpack and the Forestmen team up with M:Tron to solve the mystery of the monorail,

Starring Nic Cage and Alec Baldwin.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Starring Nic Cage and Alec Baldwin.

With Shia LaBeouf as the sparkly-eyed Ice Planet Ensign on a personal mission to make his father(s) proud of him.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Shia LeBeouf:

Nic Cage:

Alec Baldwin:

Kristen Stewart:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it plays out similar to the old Lego Magazine comics of the Lego Maniac from the 90s, where it's a FUNKY FRESH HIP KID WITH SUNGLASSES AND SKATEBOARD AND RADICAL HAIR who can take apart cars and poo poo and build like, a robot cage or starship out of the pieces, I'd be all for that. Savin' the day, the Lego way.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
When I was 10 years old, my best friend Billy moved into a nearby apartment that had a huge fish tank built into the back patio. His mom stocked it with fish, and we used to play legos out there every afternoon. You see back in the 80s, we didn't have these legos for pussies you guys have now. You knew you were playing with space legos because some pieces were translucent, and the little yellow dudes had helmets. That's how you figured that out.

And one day, we discovered that the plastic nozzle at the end of the fish tank air compressor fit quite snuggly into the centrally placed hole on this certain ubiquitous lego piece. This thing: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/970632_1_x_2_Beams. Not airtight, but enough that tightly built lego constructs would pressurize sufficient to keep water out.

Out first undersea mission featured two bewildered grasshoppers manning a decidedly boxy submarine. We put a window in it for them, which I can only suppose in retrospect magnified their terror. It seemed important to me at the time that they be able to visually participate in the process. They returned dry and alive. Two weeks later, a veritable grasshopper Rapture spread across the fish tank bottom, powered by three compressors and populated by over a hundred grasshoppers. Enough water and humidity squeezed in to keep them alive, bolstered by random heaps of greens we hurled into the airlocks.

A month after that, a freak accident broke open one of the corridors, sending the entire population into the merciless sea, to be devoured by a large parrotfish named Gertrude. Gertrude died the next day, presumably of indigestion.

Legos own. RIP Grasshopper Atlantis & Gertrude. :denmark:

physeter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 16, 2011

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

physeter posted:

When I was 10 years old, my best friend Billy moved into a nearby apartment that had a huge fish tank built into the back patio. His mom stocked it with fish, and we used to play legos out there every afternoon. You see back in the 80s, we didn't have these legos for pussies you guys have now. You knew you were playing with space legos because some pieces were translucent, and the little yellow dudes had helmets. That's how you figured that out.

And one day, we discovered that the plastic nozzle at the end of the fish tank air compressor fit quite snuggly into the centrally placed hole on this certain ubiquitous lego piece. This thing: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/970632_1_x_2_Beams. Not airtight, but enough that tightly built lego constructs would pressurize sufficient to keep water out.

Out first undersea mission featured two bewildered grasshoppers manning a decidedly boxy submarine. We put a window in it for them, which I can only suppose in retrospect magnified their terror. It seemed important to me at the time that they be able to visually participate in the process. They returned dry and alive. Two weeks later, a veritable grasshopper Rapture spread across the fish tank bottom, powered by three compressors and populated by over a hundred grasshoppers. Enough water and humidity squeezed in to keep them alive, bolstered by random heaps of greens we hurled into the airlocks.

A month after that, a freak accident broke open one of the corridors, sending the entire population into the merciless sea, to be devoured by a large parrotfish named Gertrude. Gertrude died the next day, presumably of indigestion.

This is my New Favorite Post. :10bux:, totally worth it.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Captain Invictus posted:

If it plays out similar to the old Lego Magazine comics of the Lego Maniac from the 90s, where it's a FUNKY FRESH HIP KID WITH SUNGLASSES AND SKATEBOARD AND RADICAL HAIR who can take apart cars and poo poo and build like, a robot cage or starship out of the pieces, I'd be all for that. Savin' the day, the Lego way.

Lego Island The Movie

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Time Cowboy posted:

Kristen Stewart:

If Kristen Stewart is cast as Forest Wench, I'm forgiving her for every other role she's ever mumbled through.

I'd go saucier, though. Penelope Cruz, maybe. Anne Hathaway.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

physeter posted:

I have two tabs open currently with SA threads I've been reading, this one and "What's the strangest way someone you've known has died?". I forgot that I had the LEGO one open, and I kept wondering where the hell your story was going and what kind of Rube Goldbergian series of events was to unfold before me. Then, serendipitously, there was fish death. :iia:

Sorry about the fish death.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

A LEGO movie seems odd, but I'm sure they could find a way to make it fun, ie: Michael Bay.

What really caught my eye in that article was this:

quote:

action fantasy movie Paradise Lost, based on John Milton’s famous poem, with Bradley Cooper, Casey Affleck and Dominic Purcell.

What? What? How is... why...? :psyduck:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Sexual Lorax posted:

If Kristen Stewart is cast as Forest Wench, I'm forgiving her for every other role she's ever mumbled through.

I'd go saucier, though. Penelope Cruz, maybe. Anne Hathaway.

Cast Kiera Knightley and you'd save a bundle on duct tape.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If the film isn't a straight up adaptation of The Unknown Galaxy, I'm going to be very disappointed. :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
This must've been posted here before, but I ran into this guy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerac/

Samples:

Syrena 104 with full interior

MECHANIZED Wh40K Predator tank
Video of the 40K Marine army, also the Predator in action

Just had to share. :allears:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 17, 2011

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
This is a real long shot, but for any South :australia: goons; the (unofficial) LEGO store in Tea Tree Gully has 25% of EVERYTHING - including old discontinued sets. It's pretty rad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pierzak posted:

This must've been posted here before, but I ran into this guy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerac/

Samples:

Syrena 104 with full interior

MECHANIZED Wh40K Predator tank
Video of the 40K Marine army, also the Predator in action

Just had to share. :allears:

Holy poo poo. That car's impressive enough, but those Space Marines and Orkz are amazing. And that tank is pretty good too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CADPAT posted:

Live action? I don't see how that can not suck.

"At least with Lego, the critics will never be able to say the acting is wooden. It’s more likely to be plastic." :downs:

What are the chances that the LEGO in the movie is now some some sort of super weapon like how the green lantern ring functions. If you thing of it some cosmic entity builds it for you.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Sockser posted:

Well that's a little disturbing. :stonk:

Anyways, are those new Dinosaur sets out yet? I'm getting a craving for Jurassic Park.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Vaerai Archon posted:

What are the chances that the LEGO in the movie is now some some sort of super weapon like how the green lantern ring functions. If you thing of it some cosmic entity builds it for you.

Maybe if it was to be a horror movie of some sort.

Imagine the above picture, ready to murder. Look at the hate in those little beady black eyes, look at that simple little smile glistening with menace.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

IronSaber posted:

Well that's a little disturbing. :stonk:

Anyways, are those new Dinosaur sets out yet? I'm getting a craving for Jurassic Park.

They are, I was in the Woodbridge Lego Store today and they had them in stock and on the shelves.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

Schindler's Fist posted:

Is that.. is he...

OMG!

Yes, this astronaut built a LEGO model of the International Space Station - while inside said station... IN SPAAACE. I wonder if they took a photo of the model in front of a window...

I've GIS'd both these images but cannae find them - can you link me to their original page please, I want to share them with an astro-friend. Ta!

:edit: I'm a fecking retard. http://www.legospace.com/en-us/Gallery/Default.aspx if anyone else wanted to know

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man, what the hell is up with the prices for the Dino sets? The Raptor Chase has 259 pieces for $29.99, and the Triceratops Trapper has 271 for...$49.99. What the gently caress. The triceratops is nice enough, but not that nice.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man, what the hell is up with the prices for the Dino sets? The Raptor Chase has 259 pieces for $29.99, and the Triceratops Trapper has 271 for...$49.99. What the gently caress. The triceratops is nice enough, but not that nice.

T-Rex Hunter is almost as bad. 480 pieces, $70. $80 if you buy at TRU. The Dino Defense HQ is a much better deal: 793 pieces for $100, and you get a T-Rex, a Raptor, and a...mini-raptor? Deinonychus?
You're paying a significant premium for the large, one-use molds for the dinos (although they're probably made in China).
To make matters worse, the dinos in Dino Defense HQ are all different colors than the dinos in their individual sets! Bastards!

TRU also had two of the new Ninjago sets, which are some pretty slick-looking vehicles for the Ninja. I guess they got tired of dealing with temperamental dragons and went to the Ninja Car Lot. I picked up the red cycle and black car, as well as the Raptor Chase and Ambush Attack. I'll pick up the other Dino sets during a sale.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Found out about Ichiban toys (http://www.ichibantoys.com) earlier this week from the Lego subreddit and promptly purchased this set. I call it 'To boldLEGO where no man has gone before'. I'm sure someone already beat me to the pun, anyhow:

To boldLEGO where no man has gone before... by Senior Kabong, on Flickr

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I finally coughed up the $10 optional payment for Toranomaki.

http://www.isogawastudio.co.jp/legostudio/toranomaki/en/index.html

If you don't know what it is, you should download it. And if you use it, you should pay for it. Good stuff.

Has anyone bought/looked at the published versions of this?

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Hey guys, today only: 25% off all LEGO at Chapters.Indigo online-only.

I joined the Millennium Falcon club today :cool:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I dropped by Union Square in San Francisco today where they're building a 12ft tall Lego Yoda dressed as Santa Claus, they're asking the general public to help build the super ricks that the master builders are assembling into the final model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsWZ04NwyCw

illectro fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

http://vimeo.com/32318392