Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Based on that: Get Up Kids, Cap'n Jazz, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World's Self Titled, Sicko, Mineral, The Pine, American Football, MXPX, Grown Ups?

Try those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

fenix424 posted:

Got to see my two favorite bands this year Taking Back Sunday and Alkaline Trio twice and all three shows I've been to so far have all been awesome. The 2nd Alkaline Trio show is their NYE show at the Metro in Chicago which should be amazing. However, on a date a few months back a girl I was with said my playlist needs some updating. That probably came from my most played bands being TBS, Alk3, The Academy Is, Fall Out Boy, and Four Year Strong. Give me some good suggestions Goons!

You'd probably fare better in the scenecore megathread with these bands :) : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3268377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Quantumfate posted:

Based on that: Get Up Kids, Cap'n Jazz, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World's Self Titled, Sicko, Mineral, The Pine, American Football, MXPX, Grown Ups?

Try those?

Echoing all of these and the ones that were posted on the last page. I still listen to pretty much all these bands on a regular basis still.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Eight Is Legend posted:

You'd probably fare better in the scenecore megathread with these bands :) : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3268377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Except none of those bands are scenecore? Pretty certain they're pop/alternative bands with emo leanings, especially alkaline trio.

rivals posted:

Echoing all of these and the ones that were posted on the last page. I still listen to pretty much all these bands on a regular basis still.

Yeah, Braid especially is awesome. The pine however, is Beyond Awesome. Also Cap'n Jazz :haw:

Edit: Actually some more suggestions! If you're feeling like branching out a little try Moss Icon, Indian Summer, Love Like Electrocution, Unwound and Eu Serei a Hiena

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 16, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Quantumfate posted:

Try those?

The Bleed American JEW self-titled that is, not the first one that's bad.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Dickeye posted:

The Bleed American JEW self-titled that is, not the first one that's bad.

Sorry, but no. I think pretty much everything that comes after static prevails was horrible. The first self titled was great :colbert:

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Came across this today, getting a definite Xerxes/ Loma Prieta vibe from it so far; ch-ch-check it out.

http://forgetme.bandcamp.com/

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

Except none of those bands are scenecore? Pretty certain they're pop/alternative bands with emo leanings, especially alkaline trio.

Scenecore Megathread is made for bands like Taking Back Sunday, Alkaline Trio, The Academy Is..., Four Year Strong and so on, while also being there for funny observations about bands like Attack Attack! and Abandon All Ships.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

Sorry, but no. I think pretty much everything that comes after static prevails was horrible. The first self titled was great :colbert:

Clarity's pretty good, albeit probably the pussiest album that I'll admit to enjoying.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

fenix424 posted:

Got to see my two favorite bands this year Taking Back Sunday and Alkaline Trio twice and all three shows I've been to so far have all been awesome. The 2nd Alkaline Trio show is their NYE show at the Metro in Chicago which should be amazing. However, on a date a few months back a girl I was with said my playlist needs some updating. That probably came from my most played bands being TBS, Alk3, The Academy Is, Fall Out Boy, and Four Year Strong. Give me some good suggestions Goons!

For that clean sound with tiny aspects of HC like TBS I've always put Funeral for a Friend and Boys Night Out in the same category. Along the lines of Alkaline Trio Saves the Day, The Arrivals or Hay Market Riot might meet your goals. Also Lawrence Arms.....everyone here seems to hate them but they are the best.

punxnbutter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 17, 2011

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

7lip posted:

Came across this today, getting a definite Xerxes/ Loma Prieta vibe from it so far; ch-ch-check it out.

http://forgetme.bandcamp.com/

Hey, this is my band! It's free!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Quantumfate posted:

The gently caress outta my house, Bleed American is a great album.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Couch Life posted:

Hey, this is my band! It's free!

this is fantastic, great job

fenix424
Mar 13, 2007

Waiting for World of Starcraft
Thanks for all the suggestions! I should also that Streetlight Manifesto, BAMF!, and Coheed and Cambria make appearances on my most played lists but I'm definitely trying to check out new stuff. Shame that a lot of this is associated with HT... Last time I was in one was when they were 'goth' stores back when I was in high school.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dickeye posted:

The gently caress outta my house, Bleed American is a great album.

I used to think that album was a lot better than I do now, but Bleed American is still a fantastic song.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I guess bleed american is alright lyrically but gently caress. Just gently caress. I cannot bring myself to enjoy adkins vocals as much. Although being fair with dumb lyrics if the pine wasn't so goddamn incredible it'd be rough. Days slipping on by slippy slip slippity slip slip

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Quantumfate posted:

I guess bleed american is alright lyrically but gently caress. Just gently caress. I cannot bring myself to enjoy adkins vocals as much. Although being fair with dumb lyrics if the pine wasn't so goddamn incredible it'd be rough. Days slipping on by slippy slip slippity slip slip

Static Prevails is my favorite JEW album. Along with that, I think their second self-titled album was the divisive change in sound between their emo beginnings and their pop-influenced future. Clarity was an amazing album and I will admit to listening to it much more than I should, simply because it was a beautiful, well-paced album and everything second self-titled and afterwards always felt like a different band (which I still enjoy from time to time...)

Edit: Bleed American is an awesome song. I agree on the Adkins' vocals but usually I am screaming the lyrics so loudly in my truck I can't really hear them.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Quantumfate posted:

Yeah, Braid especially is awesome. The pine however, is Beyond Awesome. Also Cap'n Jazz :haw:

You know, I don't think I ever really gave The Pine enough of a chance. I have that 7" they did with La Quiete but that's all I've ever really heard of them. I should check out more.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
Who wants to recommend me some more poo poo like Pianos Become the Teeth, Joan of Arc, and Cap'n Jazz? Liquid Courage and Oh Messy Life are two of my favorite songs right now and I can't stop playing them.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The Judas Iscariot (90's jazzy drum&bass hardcore out of NY, not the black metal band) recently unearthed and uploaded a 14 year old album that never saw the light of day. It's been growing on me, because it fully rips.

http://thejudasiscariot.bandcamp.com/album/the-lost-prophets

It's a little less gritty and sloppy than their other stuff, but they make up for it with some excellent jazz sax trax. It's overall more solid than the split with Seein' Red, and that's a record I own two presses of.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I made a stupid post in here about a month ago, referring to metalcore as hardcore. Anyways, can someone point me in the direction of hardcore from the 90-00? Would Converge and Kylsea be part of that?
We're The Germs considered hardcore or punk?

mags
May 30, 2008

casual poster posted:

I made a stupid post in here about a month ago, referring to metalcore as hardcore. Anyways, can someone point me in the direction of hardcore from the 90-00? Would Converge and Kylsea be part of that?

Converge is definitely Metalcore, but I hear a lot of comments from the hardcore scene that Converge is a band they can still get into. I know the band members just consider themselves punk and it shows in their work ethic and style, I think.

The Germs are hardcore punk, but they blur the lines a lot between punk and hardcore punk, which was common for early hardcore bands to do (and still is with some). I tend to enjoy that kind of hardcore although I do enjoy listening to Charles Bronson or something like that every once in a while.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wouldn't call Kylesa hardcore really. I'm afraid to comment on what kind of hardcore from the 90s I listened to :kiddo:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tom Pridgen posted:

Converge is definitely Metalcore, but I hear a lot of comments from the hardcore scene that Converge is a band they can still get into. I know the band members just consider themselves punk and it shows in their work ethic and style, I think.

Converge is weird because while pretty much everybody will say they're metalcore, it seems like all of their fans are hardcore fans, rather than metalcore fans.

mags
May 30, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Converge is weird because while pretty much everybody will say they're metalcore, it seems like all of their fans are hardcore fans, rather than metalcore fans.

I know that describes me. I have some metalcore in my collection but I certainly only return to Converge. When I have a desire to listen to metal I usually listen to some classic black or death. If I'm looking for more of a punk influence I usually end up putting on some thrashcore or grind records like rear endück or some of the stuff on Earache, but that playlist always includes Converge.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

fenix424 posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I should also that Streetlight Manifesto, BAMF!, and Coheed and Cambria make appearances on my most played lists but I'm definitely trying to check out new stuff. Shame that a lot of this is associated with HT... Last time I was in one was when they were 'goth' stores back when I was in high school.

Gatsby's American Dream - S/T

Saves The Day - Through Being Cool

That Rain Over Battle record posted earlier actually.

Its nice to see all the Mineral love :3:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Tom Pridgen posted:

I know that describes me. I have some metalcore in my collection but I certainly only return to Converge. When I have a desire to listen to metal I usually listen to some classic black or death. If I'm looking for more of a punk influence I usually end up putting on some thrashcore or grind records like rear endück or some of the stuff on Earache, but that playlist always includes Converge.

Pretty much, every so often I kind of want to listen to metalcore and it's pretty much just Converge and Botch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

casual poster posted:

I adhere to the 'get your high production values and technical skill (i.e. metal bullshit) out of my punk' school of thought, but post-1989 bands that are usually labeled hardcore and that I still find acceptable: Battery, Carry On, Raised Fist, Betrayed, Better Than A Thousand and Death Threat.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

casual poster posted:

I'm not super well versed in hardcore, but I feel like 90-00 was very much characterized by the rise of post-hardcore and screamo. Screamo is probably not what you're looking for (and I honestly would not be the person to ask regarding it). With post-hardcore, it might be worth it to check out bands like Refused and Born Against, maybe even Fugazi. You also might enjoy some melodic hardcore like Kid Dynamite and Lifetime, but given that you mentioned Converge, probably not. Also, by Kylsea do you mena Kylesa? If you do, Kylesa are very much a metal band, and they don't really have anything in common with hardcore. They are awesome though.

e: These are pretty well known bands, but I'm just going in assuming you have zero knowledge. If you do, just disregard this I guess.
e2: the poster above me knows hardcore better than I do. I still think it's worth checking out some of these other bands though.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 21, 2011

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

casual poster posted:

How do you you feel about Straight Edge, Krishna-Consciousness, and pretty much everything in this(Which says everything about that genre much better than I could)

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 21, 2011

thisdestruction
Jul 17, 2006

she used to be so radiant, so sexy when she laughed. now her eyes look like gravesites as she speaks in epitaphs.

casual poster posted:

Ah, 90's hardcore. For me, that sound is a lot of the chugga-style guitars from bands like Earth Crisis, 25 Ta Life, or really just most of what Victory put out in that day. Some may say EC was metalcore, but I feel that with their sxe/vegan power message and all that they were kinda in the hardcore family.

Of course you have youth crew stuff and more traditional sounding hardcore like Judge (borderline late 80's-early 90's) or Ten Yard Fight, Strife, Madball.. Look to what was coming out of the NYC scene because for me, those bands define the sound of that time.

I think a band like Indecision (my favorite) could straddle the line between hardcore and the emerging metalcore sound of bands like Converge. Lots of bands were doing that, or even mixing in more sounds like Candiria.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I adhere to the 'get your high production values and technical skill (i.e. metal bullshit) out of my punk' school of thought, but post-1989 bands that are usually labeled hardcore and that I still find acceptable: Battery, Carry On, Raised Fist, Betrayed, Better Than A Thousand and Death Threat.

Battery rules. That said I still listen to a lot of youth crew revival stuff or whatever you want to call it and I'm a little bummed that every band I listen to broke up like 3+ years ago.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rivals posted:

Battery rules. That said I still listen to a lot of youth crew revival stuff or whatever you want to call it and I'm a little bummed that every band I listen to broke up like 3+ years ago.

Yeah, the term 'hardcore' is a bit ambiguous today, so I usually refrain from using it. I love punk in general, so I obviously love eighties American hardcore, but nowadays 'hardcore' mostly seems to apply to streamlined, take-themselves-too-seriously quasi-metalcore bands. Dommage. Here in Europe, it gets more confusing still, since many people will think you're referring to a form of techno when you talk about hardcore.

Still, I suppose I see some continuity between the first straight edge bands and today's hardcore. For example, instead of the self-righteous outrage of political punk or the proletarian catchiness of Oi!, you get truckloads of angsty self-referentiality to the point where it gets incredibly banal. The local hardcore scene in [random American city] used to be amazing until [trend or type of people] ruined everything? Intriguing! Please tell us more.

I really am putting way too much thought into this. It's totally not-punk to be concerned with these conceptual issues.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, the term 'hardcore' is a bit ambiguous today, so I usually refrain from using it. I love punk in general, so I obviously love eighties American hardcore, but nowadays 'hardcore' mostly seems to apply to streamlined, take-themselves-too-seriously quasi-metalcore bands. Dommage. Here in Europe, it gets more confusing still, since many people will think you're referring to a form of techno when you talk about hardcore.

Still, I suppose I see some continuity between the first straight edge bands and today's hardcore. For example, instead of the self-righteous outrage of political punk or the proletarian catchiness of Oi!, you get truckloads of angsty self-referentiality to the point where it gets incredibly banal. The local hardcore scene in [random American city] used to be amazing until [trend or type of people] ruined everything? Intriguing! Please tell us more.

I really am putting way too much thought into this. It's totally not-punk to be concerned with these conceptual issues.

Yeah as I've gotten more into punk over the past couple of years I've started to see this. I tend to categorize stuff into genres (it's stupid, but makes sense in my head) but with punk I'm afraid to call anything a certain genre because of the inevitable "NO [insert band here] isn't real [insert genre here]!" It's not a huge problem, but drat some people will get angry about little things.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I'm putting out a tape of hardcore jams in December. I think of it as dark, technical hardcore for fans of His Hero Is Gone & Cursed, though if you guys have better references, let me know. I also did the art and took a crack at mastering. There's even a Black Flag cover if you're into the whole cred thing.

Yautja - 2011

http://soundcloud.com/tapes-of-a-neon-god/yautja-2011

Email me (tapesofaneongod@gmail.com) and I'll shoot you the mp3s gratis for being good dudes. If you're feeling generous, check out the site: https://www.tapesofaneongod.com
Sorry IE users, my middlin' CSS coding hates you.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Quantumfate posted:

How do you you feel about Straight Edge, Krishna-Consciousness, and pretty much everything in this(Which says everything about that genre much better than I could)

What exactly is hardcore than? The 2 listed (7 seconds and Shelter) sound completely different than what I thought. 7 seconds sounds like a regular punk song and Shelter sounds like 80's new age. Bands that Phlegmish mentioned (Battery, Carry On, Raised Fist, Betrayed, Better Than A Thousand and Death Threat) are more along what "I" thought hardcore "sounded" like. More grungy (dirty) sounding with more of a snarl vocals. Keep in mind, what I thought "hardcore" actually sounded like is most likely to change within the next few days when I go through your recommendations.
Thanks for the help ya'll.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

casual poster posted:

What exactly is hardcore than? The 2 listed (7 seconds and Shelter) sound completely different than what I thought. 7 seconds sounds like a regular punk song and Shelter sounds like 80's new age. Bands that Phlegmish mentioned (Battery, Carry On, Raised Fist, Betrayed, Better Than A Thousand and Death Threat) are more along what "I" thought hardcore "sounded" like. More grungy (dirty) sounding with more of a snarl vocals. Keep in mind, what I thought "hardcore" actually sounded like is most likely to change within the next few days when I go through your recommendations.
Thanks for the help ya'll.

I would define hardcore more by its historical origins, its continuity as a 'scene' and perhaps topics/attitude rather than by any definitive musical characteristics. In that sense, hardcore can apply to bands like 7 Seconds or Dag Nasty as well as to contemporary borderline metalcore bands. From what you've said in this thread, I'd say you're more interested in the latter type, and that's not my area of expertise.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

All the hardline edgers here in Reno just poo poo themselves at 7 seconds not being called hardcore. It is glorious, and I'm going to tell Tom Mowat next time I see him, and we will laugh at the imagined hardliner frothing.

As far as hardcore, yeah, you have a lot of different things. Screamo and post-hardcore is hardcore style music I can hold my own about. Crust even more so. Straight edge I'm a little solid on because holy poo poo, do I live in the right city for straight edge. So I wanted to know if that kind of hardcore was something you were interested in. It's funny you mention Battery because of this also Omkara is the poo poo. So thinking of otherstuff here's a bunch of different hardcore genres: what do you think of these?

Powerviolence
D-Beat
Crust
Metalcore
Grindcore
Crossover
Crackrock Steady
Hardcore
Hardcore Punk
Screamo/Metalcore
Sort of Metalcore?
Gravity

Man, I wish I could be of more help. =/

Edit:

cf posted:

I'm putting out a tape of hardcore jams in December. I think of it as dark, technical hardcore for fans of His Hero Is Gone & Cursed, though if you guys have better references, let me know. I also did the art and took a crack at mastering. There's even a Black Flag cover if you're into the whole cred thing.

Yautja - 2011

http://soundcloud.com/tapes-of-a-neon-god/yautja-2011

Email me (tapesofaneongod@gmail.com) and I'll shoot you the mp3s gratis for being good dudes. If you're feeling generous, check out the site: https://www.tapesofaneongod.com
Sorry IE users, my middlin' CSS coding hates you.

Just listen to this guy actually, he's got this stuff. Speaking of which, CF I have some friends involved in the local hardcore scene who would absolutely love this. If I shoot you an email, do you think I could get the .mp3s to burn them a copy and show them?

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 22, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Just send him an email and he'll hook you up I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
Does anyone have any mid/early 90's post recommendations? Like Hoover, Drive Like Jehu etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0SjnAvu7Ng