Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

im this guy http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e23_1278608899

is that supposed to be bosozuko? If you want to talk crazy/annoying exhausts I'm pretty sure boso is the top of the totem pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I want to club every last guy with those fishtail pipes

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Snowdens Secret posted:

is that supposed to be bosozuko? If you want to talk crazy/annoying exhausts I'm pretty sure boso is the top of the totem pole

Nope that's just a dude in 'burbs with excess sheet metal and time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My response to a moron saying LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES is if you're worried about safety, put a bright orange safety vest on over your black leather vest/wife beater. It'll cost you $10 at Walmart and truly help make you more visible and safer on the road.

I've yet have one good reply to that.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

The GSXR megaphone guy and this guy need to hook up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKttT4szNzo&feature=related

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

My response to a moron saying LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES is if you're worried about safety, put a bright orange safety vest on over your black leather vest/wife beater. It'll cost you $10 at Walmart and truly help make you more visible and safer on the road.

Adding this one to my facebook Layer Dan / Squid trolling repertoire, next to "People wouldn't hear you coming? Did your bike not come with a horn then?".

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Loud pipes:
Are a poor excuse for good riding skills.
Make a lot of the general public hostile towards riders.
Make it harder for riders to be taken seriously as equal road users.

The general public will always be hostile towards riders and will not take them seriously as equal road users because the general public drive cars.

If you re-engineered the modern motorcycle to make it respectable and non-offensive to car drivers, it would look like this:

Vera, 56, from Essex posted:

I don't like motorcycles but I like this one!

To me, worrying about what car drivers think of bikes is the Booker T. Washington approach. You can't conciliate people who have no interest in being conciliated.

The car lobby controls transport policy in this country because they have the money and the most taxpayers behind them. They don't (and don't have to) give any fucks about other road users, and when it comes to issues that affect them, they're very effective at dividing and ruling.

If "we" were going to adjust our behaviour to influence people, it should be to influence other road users and other interest groups with whom we have common interests (road design and maintenance that isn't centred around cars first, haulage second, also not being mown down by Volvos).

I don't think there's anything inherently great about loud pipes or that anyone has shown empirically that they "save lives", but worrying about what car drivers think of them is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

slidebite posted:

Here's a good reply. I've got full headlights on, reflectors on both sides and back of the bike. If he didn't see me with all those, he's not going to see the half sleeve of reflective poo poo poking out behind my mirrors.

The problem is them NOT LOOKING, rather than not seeing. It's harder to not hear something..

Maybe this makes less sense on US roads, but London city driving is far safer with a loud exhaust.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

_Dav posted:

Here's a good reply. I've got full headlights on, reflectors on both sides and back of the bike. If he didn't see me with all those, he's not going to see the half sleeve of reflective poo poo poking out behind my mirrors.

The problem is them NOT LOOKING, rather than not seeing. It's harder to not hear something..

Maybe this makes less sense on US roads, but London city driving is far safer with a loud exhaust.

Most cars have daytime running lights too so it's not gonna make you stand out. Reflectors are a joke. Meanwhile if a rider has a bright vest on it's the first thing I notice, even if he is way on the other side of the highway.

Arguing the "loud pipes save lives" bs is like saying school buses, taxis, and student driver cars should be badass black with fart cans instead of yellow.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Adding this one to my facebook Layer Dan / Squid trolling repertoire, next to "People wouldn't hear you coming? Did your bike not come with a horn then?".

While I'm doing the usual scan thing (constantly moving eyes/head) if I see anything that is questionable I have my thumb over the horn. I probably hit my horn 3 out of 4 rides. Bit of a pain in the rear end on the Vespa with where the horn is on that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

_Dav posted:

It's harder to not hear something...

In a modern sound-insulated car, with a bike coming towards you, you don't even hear loud pipes until they are close, this is bollocks. See also: horn.

quote:

I commute every day through extremely tight roads, packed with traffic in a place where there is no MOT. I've commuted daily in places such as Kampala and I have never felt that being noisier would have any real effect other than to annoy other people. See also: horn.

saga posted:

If "we" were going to adjust our behaviour to influence people, it should be to influence other road users and other interest groups with whom we have common interests (road design and maintenance that isn't centred around cars first, haulage second, also not being mown down by Volvos).

I don't think there's anything inherently great about loud pipes or that anyone has shown empirically that they "save lives", but worrying about what car drivers think of them is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

This is sort of my point though, if motorcyclists are to be taken seriously as part of a group lobbying for these kinds of improvements then 'we' need to consider that riding around with ridiculously loud bikes annoying everyone is going to be detrimental to those efforts.

My view is, if your safety strategy revolves around being 'noticed' by other road users, you might not be cut out for riding on the road. There are two kinds of riders I have encountered. Those that blame everyone but themselves; "He pulled out without even looking!" and those who realise that nothing they do is going to guarantee getting noticed and ride accordingly "I should have known he was going to pull straight out, I need to pay more attention".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

_Dav posted:

100% Bullshit. Wear a (clean) hi-vis like most London riders. A loud exhaust in this city is more likely to piss off pedestrians and residents in their lovely single-glazed victorian terraces than to get you noticed by a cabbie pulling a u-turn to pick up a fare or someone in full-on zombie commuter mode. It's easy to not hear something with a two double deckers beside you, rattly diesels everywhere, while you're safely ensconced in a vaultlike German saloon listening to some madman ranting about immigrants on LBC or talking on your handsfree. Like ReelBigLizard says, the onus is on you as a rider to avoid a collision, especially if you're filtering in traffic. Would putting an airhorn on your bicycle make it safe to cut up the left side of an HGV or bus? No it wouldn't. Putting a loud pipe on your bike does nothing for your safety. If you want it for sound that's different but don't try claiming its for safety.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gnaghi posted:

Arguing the "loud pipes save lives" bs is like saying school buses, taxis, and student driver cars should be badass black with fart cans instead of yellow.

Give me one good reason would this wouldn't be totally rad :colbert:

Hearses too, and they've already got the badass black part down.

Disclaimer: I have a loud exhaust on my bike. I'm not going to remove it because it sounds loving awesome.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 17, 2011

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Just got my bike serviced, ugghhh it feels so good. Like it's brand new. :)

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Look at what's happening in Ireland and you'll note that I'm not in the minority with my thoughts on cans vs. High Vis. I've only got anecdotes, but I was pulled out infront of far more without an aftermarket can (Z750). And yeah I wore high-vis etc

The best practice is ofcourse to ride intelligently, and play the 'I'm never in anybody's blindspot' game. I think there is very few situations where an accident is unavoidable, pretty much everything else is riding observation. I've literally only had one incident in the last 5 years that could really be blamed on the other party, and hell even that was something that I could have possibly avoided.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

_Dav posted:

Look at what's happening in Ireland and you'll note that I'm not in the minority with my thoughts on cans vs. High Vis. I've only got anecdotes, but I was pulled out infront of far more without an aftermarket can (Z750). And yeah I wore high-vis etc

I'm in ireland, what exactly is happening?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I don't think anyone could really argue that there's a 0% benefit to loud pipes; there's bound to be some situation somewhere that they'll make a difference. The problem is the cost/benefit ratio. The benefit is still pretty small, next to major factors like properly positioning yourself, high vis, and being aware of your surroundings. The cost, on the other hand, is massive, as it threatens everyone on two wheels by making drivers more aggressive and giving support for legislation against us.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I think loud pipes work at low speed. At highway or freeway speeds, though, I only hear "loud" bikes when they're already a bit ahead of me. We're both moving away from their sound, which is being projected backwards.

Hi-vis works at all speeds. I keep a hi-vis vest in my glovebox and put it on in lovely weather, and I definitely feel I'm noticed more and given more space when wearing it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

_Dav posted:

A safety vest is far more visible than just a headlight and a few reflectors. They work at pretty much every angle other than a pure 90deg and even then they do somewhat because a human body isn't paper thin. They don't have to look for you. The color is so noticeable your brain instantly notices it even if you're not looking for it. That's the very purpose of them.

Most cops I've even seen wear them when they have someone pulled over on the side of the road.. and they're standing right next to a car with flashing strobes.

As a driver and a rider, I have been startled more than once by idiots with loud pipes, and I'm a pretty calm guy. I can only imagine someone who is already nervous and have a loud unexpected BARK of a WHAZZ of a lovely exhaust right next to them. I think they'd be more likely to jerk the wheel or nail the brakes as a panic instinct.

And piss everyone off that hears them.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying all aftermarket exhaust is poo poo and should be banned or anything like that.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 17, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Loud pipes let smart cops know that I went all the way thru 3rd on the on ramp.

I've ridden both, and most people don't notice either way, in my experience. On the highway that's for sure, people can't hear you till you're right up on them. City streets, less so, but I'd agree with others who've said the benefit is minimal at best.

And you really piss off your neighbors and feel like an rear end riding home at 2 am. I used to cut my motor a quarter mile away and try to coast in.

But it is fun.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 17, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

nsaP posted:

Loud pipes let smart cops know that I went all the way thru 3rd on the on ramp.

I've ridden both, and most people don't notice either way, in my experience. On the highway that's for sure, people can't hear you till you're right up on them. City streets, less so, but I'd agree with others who've said the benefit is minimal at best.

And you really piss off your neighbors and feel like an rear end riding home at 2 am. I used to cut my motor a quarter mile away and try to coast in.

But it is fun.

I like having an aftermarket exhaust but I agree that it's embarrassing at times. I usually try to lug it a gear up at least through the neighborhood so I don't annoy people so much.

I know drat well people hate me at 7am on a cold morning with a carb'd bike starting my bike up 5 times and revving it up.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

JP Money posted:

I like having an aftermarket exhaust but I agree that it's embarrassing at times. I usually try to lug it a gear up at least through the neighborhood so I don't annoy people so much.

I know drat well people hate me at 7am on a cold morning with a carb'd bike starting my bike up 5 times and revving it up.

This. I keep my exhaust pointed away from the apartments now, after some complaints.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I think loud pipes work at low speed. At highway or freeway speeds, though, I only hear "loud" bikes when they're already a bit ahead of me. We're both moving away from their sound, which is being projected backwards.

Hi-vis works at all speeds. I keep a hi-vis vest in my glovebox and put it on in lovely weather, and I definitely feel I'm noticed more and given more space when wearing it.

I got one of these and I feel like a tool wearing it, but have been more often.

I like leaving it unvelcro'd when riding the fun roads, it feels like a neon yellow cape.

I am ICON man

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Timely:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2011/11/17/calgary-noisesnare-approved.html

I googled noise snare and found this:

http://www.snrsystems.com/

Play the video and go to 50sec

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

http://www.snrsystems.com/

Play the video and go to 50sec

As much as I argue against loud pipes, I know I'm not the only one who went "come on bike...come on bike! you can do it...! YEEEAHH!"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I love the kick off the limiter at the end. SHOW THEM BUDDY! :downs:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
If that biker had stayed up on the wheelie his plate wouldn't have been readable to the camera

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I love the kick off the limiter at the end. SHOW THEM BUDDY! :downs:

I appreciated the wheelie to start it off.

echomadman posted:

If that biker had stayed up on the wheelie his plate wouldn't have been readable to the camera

Gonna start using this method to avoid paying bridge tolls.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

echomadman posted:

Other than ending up in the back of the suburban, I think that would have been a fantastic idea.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

Since safety is cumulative, how bout a hi-viz vest AND loud pipes?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

echomadman posted:

I'm in ireland, what exactly is happening?

http://www.magireland.org/2011/campaigns/hiviz/drivers-eye-view/

MAG is kinda poo poo in fairness, but atleast they're somewhat relevant politically.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

When everyone starts wearing hi-vis clothes, then they become 'normal' and cagers start to get used to them and forget them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, that's going to be a pressing issue

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Odette posted:

When everyone starts wearing hi-vis clothes, then they become 'normal' and cagers start to get used to them and forget them.

I run over construction and road workers all the time. They come out of nowhere!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

All of the accidents* that I've been involved in that weren't my fault, the people that hit me did not even see me.

"Sorry man, I didn't see you."

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Odette posted:

All of the accidents* that I've been involved in that weren't my fault, the people that hit me did not even see me.

"Sorry man, I didn't see you."

Me too :(

spootle
Nov 11, 2009
If people don't notice emergency vehicles with full lights and sirens (which I've seen happen way too often) they won't see your vest or hear your stupid pipes

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

echomadman posted:

I always think of this every time I see a red light camera.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I hate that there would be more enforcement to focus on bikes and hand out expensive tickets but I kinda wish they would do that around here. There are three or four assholes on some kind of V twin bikes that, like clockwork, around 3 am ride around the neighborhood setting off car alarms with their exhausts. I would have no greater pleasure in life then to see them getting pulled over and their bikes impounded. I'm not the type to start trouble but if I knew where they parked I would, like, leave a note or something.

That being said I had a full, loud as hell system on my bike for a little while and I noticed a hell of a lot more people got out of my way when I was filtering. Still not worth annoying my neighbors or the cumulative hearing loss from short trips without earplugs but it was quite a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

clutchpuck posted:

Since safety is cumulative, how bout a hi-viz vest AND loud pipes?

Guys guys guys, I have the perfect idea, hear me out!

How about... HI-VIZ PIPES?!

I'm still working on making vests louder. I'm going to make millions. Millions!