Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

My Little Puni posted:

Sorry if I'm annoying the thread but I won't rest easy unitl I know for sure + or -

...and all the tests are to be used when you have a missed period... so how the gently caress do I know when I can start taking BC again and what my "missed period" would be. :psyduck: Christ, this is all so confusing.

I haven't been completely following along, so forgive me if I ask stuff you've been asked before. You're on a three-month type pill, correct? Have you stopped it, or have you continued to take it? When was your last period, and when are you expecting it to come again? When do you think you got pregnant?

It sounds to me like you're becoming confused/worried about how long it is until your next period to see if you'll miss it. Depending on when your last period was, you can probably take an at-home pregnancy test even though you haven't technically "missed" your period yet. The reason they use that terminology is because they assume everyone has a 28 day cycle. The tests can test as early as a few days before the missed period (meaning, about two weeks after you hypothetically ovulated). Assuming your scare occurred between two and three weeks ago, you've already "missed" your period and should be able to take a test.

BC will not interfere with a test, but it will with pregnancy. If you haven't stopped your pills, don't until you know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

My Little Puni posted:

Sorry if I'm annoying the thread but I won't rest easy unitl I know for sure + or -

So the symptoms (backache, fatigue, cramps, weird spotting, peeing a lot) are all making me think pregnancy is a possibility and all the tests are to be used when you have a missed period. I don't have the money right now to go get a piss test from a doctor (called the doctor 2 days ago and I'm in a jam and can't spend the money for a doctor visit). So, I don't really know what to do at this point. I don't want the BC to effect the pregnancy and if it turns out I am, I don't want complications. If I'm having a kid I want it to be as healthy as possible from the start. Should I stop taking it, and if I do stop taking it, will that start my period and if that period doesn't happen should I count that as my missed period or wait for a while until I was supposed to change to my placebo pills. Also apparently you can get your period if you are pregnant so how the gently caress do I know when I can start taking BC again and what my "missed period" would be. :psyduck: Christ, this is all so confusing.

Is there a Planned parenthood near you? IIRC they do free tests. Or go to the dollar store and buy a test; it's only $1 and they're as accurate as the expensive ones from the drug store.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

My Little Puni posted:

So the symptoms (backache, fatigue, cramps, weird spotting, peeing a lot) are all making me think pregnancy is a possibility and all the tests are to be used when you have a missed period. I don't have the money right now to go get a piss test from a doctor (called the doctor 2 days ago and I'm in a jam and can't spend the money for a doctor visit). So, I don't really know what to do at this point. I don't want the BC to effect the pregnancy and if it turns out I am, I don't want complications. If I'm having a kid I want it to be as healthy as possible from the start. Should I stop taking it, and if I do stop taking it, will that start my period and if that period doesn't happen should I count that as my missed period or wait for a while until I was supposed to change to my placebo pills. Also apparently you can get your period if you are pregnant so how the gently caress do I know when I can start taking BC again and what my "missed period" would be. :psyduck: Christ, this is all so confusing.

First and foremost, you need to find out if you are actually pregnant in the first place. Your symptoms are vague symptoms, can be caused by a lot of other things and you seem to be missing lot of the common early pregnancy symptoms as well. Have you even missed a period yet?

Assuming you're in Michigan like your profile says, you don't need to go to a doctor to get a pregnancy test. You can buy them for like $10-$15 at pretty much any drug store or chain store that has a pharmacy section. They're exactly like any urine test the doctor would do.

Until you actually know for sure, it doesn't seem like a very good idea to stop taking the birth control pills. They aren't going to hurt the baby if you are pregnant and if you aren't, it's going to put you at risk of actually becoming pregnant AND the change in hormones will cause even more weird symptoms that will probably just worry you further. If you do stop taking the pill, you probably will have bleeding just like you have with the placebo week. However your cycle will be thrown all out of whack for a few weeks or possibly months, so it would be hard to say what was a skipped period and what's just your hormones adjusting (and then you'll scare yourself even more).

To summarize:
- TAKE A DEEP BREATH. Don't do anything drastic like stopping your birth control pills.
- Wait and see if you get your period first, because most pregnancy tests won't detect a pregnancy before before you miss a period anyway.
- IF you skip your period get a pregnancy test from the store and then go on from there depending on the results.
- If you your period comes as usual, most likely you are not one of those rare women who menstruate during pregnancy, you are just not pregnant at all. But if you still can't get the worry off your mind, do a test afterward.

Edit: Just saw ReformedTomboy's post, so you might have to modify that advice depending on what kind of cycle you're on. As she said I was assuming the usual 28 day thing.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 17, 2011

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks for advice, I don't want to be crazy and annoying, I'm just a paranoid wreck.

It is a three month birth control pill.
There is no planned parenthood for 30 mi and I'm in a bit of a money bind at the moment.
I have not stopped taking my birth control
I'm mostly afraid of having my birth control effect a pregnancy and having a hosed up flipper baby.
The probable "conception" would have been about 2-3 weeks ago.
My next placebo week isn't for 2 more weeks.

That should be all the stuff to help you help me. I really appreciate it, I can't talk to my mother about this (she'd freak and disown me) and my doctor is a vapid oval office. I eventually should talk to one, but I need to get money issues straight first.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

My Little Puni posted:

That should be all the stuff to help you help me. I really appreciate it, I can't talk to my mother about this (she'd freak and disown me) and my doctor is a vapid oval office. I eventually should talk to one, but I need to get money issues straight first.

Take a deep breath like NaturalLow said, we're here to help :)

You're fine to take a pregnancy test now, since it's been a few weeks since the incident. They're usually about $10 at a drug store, and some come in a two-pack so you can test again the following week to make extra sure. If those test(s) come up positive, go from there, but for now try not to worry about seeing a doctor (because as of right now, you don't need one).

Continue to take your pills, even if you were pregnant, this early on they won't affect anything in/for the baby.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

My Little Puni posted:

Like others have said, those are some very non-specific symptoms (not to mention usually symptoms of late pregnancy, not first trimester stuff) and could be a result of many other things. Amoxicillin has about a 70% cure rate for UTIs, so this could just all be a result of your treatment failing and UTI getting worse.

Breakthrough bleeding (if that is what you're getting and not bloody urine) is not uncommon with women who use continuous or extended-cycle (period every 3-4months) birth control.

The above two scenarios are more likely than you being pregnant right now. The former would be worth seeing your doctor again for.

As for when you should take a pregnancy test, because you're on the extended cycle, you'd want to test around 2-3 weeks after when you would have ovulated.

Multiple studies have looked at the effects of taking birth control in the first trimester and have found no effect on the fetus, so even if you are pregnant, taking the pill won't hurt the theoretical baby.

Edit: drat, late to the party. Repetition is good?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

My Little Puni posted:

Thanks for advice, I don't want to be crazy and annoying, I'm just a paranoid wreck.

There is no planned parenthood for 30 mi and I'm in a bit of a money bind at the moment.
I'm mostly afraid of having my birth control effect a pregnancy and having a hosed up flipper baby.

Yeah, I hope I didn's come off as condescending or anything in my last post. I know how scary any possibility of pregnancy is and the way it kind of eats at you until you know for sure.

Personally my money is on the UTI here. Backaches and peeing a lot during pregnancy are caused mostly by the physical strain of carrying around a fairly big fetus in the 2nd and 3rd trimester. Spotting is common when you skip periods on birth control. Early pregnancy symptoms would be more like nausea/vomiting, breast swelling, and weirder things like darkening of the nipples and vulva (kinda gross I guess but true). Not set in stone but I've had a few scares myself so I've memorized a lot of the signs. :v:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm getting ready to go off the pill for the first time in about six years, and I can't seem to find any good resources for information on what kinds of side effects to expect. Is this discussed somewhere in the thread? I'm on Loestrin 24 Fe and will be going totally contraceptive-free at the end of my current pack.

How long should I expect it to take for my period to re-regulate? Before I went on the pill I was regular like clockwork (21 days unfortunately, but what can you do). Is there a chance it will never go back to being regular on its own?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
As far as I've ever noticed there were no side effects from cessation, just a return to the status quo. So if your skin got clearer on the pill, you might get a break out. If you gained weight on the pill, you might lose some. Yada yada.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

I'm getting ready to go off the pill for the first time in about six years, and I can't seem to find any good resources for information on what kinds of side effects to expect. Is this discussed somewhere in the thread? I'm on Loestrin 24 Fe and will be going totally contraceptive-free at the end of my current pack.

How long should I expect it to take for my period to re-regulate? Before I went on the pill I was regular like clockwork (21 days unfortunately, but what can you do). Is there a chance it will never go back to being regular on its own?

When I stopped, I don't really remember any major side effects actually. I just had a period like I would with the placebo week and then I felt pretty normal after that except for maybe a temporary increase in acne. My cycle off the pill was also regular like clockwork and it regulated in a few months (I quit the pill in late November and it was regular by about January or February). I don't know about the chances that it might not go back to being regular, all I can tell you is that mine did. After six years I guess it's always possible your body has changed somehow, but as far as I know the pill itself doesn't permanently alter your cycle once you stop taking it.

Note that when I say "normal" that means all the stuff you used to get with your natural cycle will probably come back. In my case raging PMS and crazy mood swings throughout the month. :suicide: Your mileage may vary.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Has anybody gone a really long time without a period after getting off the pill? That's the one that sounded weirdest to me - a few friends have said they had a period immediately after the last pack like normal, but then didn't have one for quite a while.

Thankfully I don't have to concern myself too much with "omg I haven't had a period if 40 days am I pregnant?!" but it still sounds a little off-putting.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. Most of the medications I've taken over the years had side effects associated with cessation, so I guess I'm just used to that and confused that there might be a medicine that just leaves me alone when I'm done with it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I know in my case it was kind of like my cycle was "extended" for a while. Normally off the pill I have the textbook 28-day thing, but in the months immediately following it was more like 40 days.

It's not that weird when you think about it though. The pill stops you from ovulating and ovulation (along with the hormone levels leading up to it and afterwards) is an important part of triggering the actual bleeding. That's why placebo weeks are not technically considered an actual menstrual cycle but rather a "withdrawal bleed." A natural (can't think of a better word) menstrual period is only one part of a continuous process we don't see and every phase of the cycle relies on the other to happen. If one part of your cycle (ovulation) gets messed up the whole thing is probably going to be messed up until everything starts up again.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

My Little Puni posted:

Contact your country/local health department, they ought to be able to give you a free pregnancy test. Also mention to them the UTI, they might be able to help with that too. :)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Hopefully I'm not making GBS threads up the thread, but I just had my one month exam to check my IUD and make sure everything is okay. I brought up the discharge that ive been dealing with (the only reason I mention it us because another poster was worried about it) and she said its perfectly normal and can last up to six months. For some reason I had three months as the time frame so that was a bit sad. I did tell her I haven't had a proper period yet, but it didnt seem to concern her. So... all clear! I go back for yearly exams and that's it.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

2508084 posted:

Hopefully I'm not making GBS threads up the thread, but I just had my one month exam to check my IUD and make sure everything is okay. I brought up the discharge that ive been dealing with (the only reason I mention it us because another poster was worried about it) and she said its perfectly normal and can last up to six months. For some reason I had three months as the time frame so that was a bit sad. I did tell her I haven't had a proper period yet, but it didnt seem to concern her. So... all clear! I go back for yearly exams and that's it.

Thanks for asking about that. My followup is in about two or three weeks. I guess I should also assume that any amount of discharge is normal? Most of the time it's hardly anything, but there have been a couple days where it gets somewhat heavier, then goes back to nothing the next day or even after a few hours!

And I think I said this before, but I love how I'm finally losing the weight I gained from the pill after all those years. I've even been skipping out on the gym lately and it's coming right off without any effort. I also don't feel as bloated anymore either.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

BigGayLogan posted:

I guess I should also assume that any amount of discharge is normal? Most of the time it's hardly anything, but there have been a couple days where it gets somewhat heavier, then goes back to nothing the next day or even after a few hours!
Mention it at your doctors appointment, of course, but this is exactly what I've been getting since it was put it. Invest in panty liners :\

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

BigGayLogan posted:

And I think I said this before, but I love how I'm finally losing the weight I gained from the pill after all those years. I've even been skipping out on the gym lately and it's coming right off without any effort. I also don't feel as bloated anymore either.

Is this true with Implanon? FINALLY A NO-WORK WEIGHT LOSS.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

NaturalLow posted:

(1) How much does it generally cost without insurance?

(2)And I guess for that matter, did Mirena have any side effects?

1. I got my Mirena placed at Planned Parenthood. The device itself cost about $500, then the actual insertion and appointment costs was another $500. Because it was done at Planned Parenthood and I didn't have a job at the time (so they charged based on a sliding scale) I paid all of $3-something. I had coverage from my state's public family planning program, and PP covered the rest. $3 is not bad at all to get an IUD.

2. I love love LOVE my Mirena. I had some heavy bleeding for fourish days after I got it inserted, but I haven't had a period since (five months). The boyfriend felt the strings for the first few weeks but they softened up nicely.

-------

I was on pills for seven years. I was always paranoid that I was pregnant because sometimes it was hard to remember to take it at the exact same time every year. I was on tri-sprintac and had no side effects, but it was very annoying to have to take it at the same time every day and always be afraid that I was pregnant.

Then I went on NuvaRing. I loved it because you only had to think about it once a month, but I hated it because I had a yeast infection every week. I never had a yeast infection in my entire life before I went on the Ring, but after I started that it was basically non-stop yeast infections. I asked my NP about it and she said it was not uncommon to have problems with yeast infections since the ring changes the pH of your vagina. I also spotted a lot while I was on the ring. I really did not have a good experience with it.

I left the ring in when we had sex but the boyfriend didn't really like it, it wasn't comfortable for him at all, but I didn't want to take it out because it's pretty awkward and I didn't like that there was a time limit.

I got the Mirena IUD in August and I am really happy with it. I have had a few yeast infections since it was inserted, but I don't know if that is due to the IUD or because I had so many with the Ring. I have had no side effects from it. I don't feel paranoid at all. I am confident that it will protect me against pregnancy (although I do know one person that got pregnant with the IUD). However, at this point in my life, if I did end up pregnant I am prepared to deal with it.

From my experience, I would highly recommend the Mirena IUD. I am very happy with it, and now I don't have to worry about birth control for another four and a half years.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely have to start a Mirena fund. Lord knows how long it would take me to save up a grand, though...

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

fork bomb posted:

Well, all bc's are different, but I lost weight on Implanon. I wouldn't say no-work because I was trying to get in shape, but there you have it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

fork bomb posted:

Technically the studies on this haven't found any solid link between birth control and weight gain despite what everyone always says. Usually instead of hormones packing on the pounds, people were just eating more calories without realizing it (although I suppose appetite could be hormonally influenced).

That said, both times I've been on the pill I always lost about 5 pounds in the first month. Even the second time when I started around the Easter holiday and was stuffing my face constantly. :haw:

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.
nvrmd

Lanthanum fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 2, 2011

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

NaturalLow posted:

Technically the studies on this haven't found any solid link between birth control and weight gain despite what everyone always says. Usually instead of hormones packing on the pounds, people were just eating more calories without realizing it (although I suppose appetite could be hormonally influenced).

I'm definitely sure it varies from person to person, but I can assure you the pill did make me gain weight. I don't have the best habits, I eat like once or twice a day and have fast food/takeout often, and I only joined the gym about two months ago, but recently I haven't been going since I've been busy with work and whatnot. Anyway, when I first started the pill, the weight gain was almost instant. I gained about 10 pounds after the first couple months. I tried all sorts of diets, even going vegetarian for a couple years, but the extra weight would not go away. And even with the gym before I got the Mirena, I went about 3-4 times a week and did everything my personal trainer told me to, and I still didn't lose any weight. Over the five years I've been on the pill I think I gained about 25-30 pounds total. Now with the Mirena, it's already been almost three weeks and I've already lost about three pounds, despite my crappy lazy habits. Once I go back to the gym I'm sure the weight will come off faster!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Kat Delacour posted:

As far as I've ever noticed there were no side effects from cessation, just a return to the status quo. So if your skin got clearer on the pill, you might get a break out. If you gained weight on the pill, you might lose some. Yada yada.

Yeah, I went off birth control for about 6 months last year (I was working out of state and couldn't make it back home to get more pills, plus I wasn't doing any sexing anyway so it wasn't really a big deal). My acne came back WITH A VENGEANCE. It was gross. It was like I was 15 again standing in front of the mirrors popping pimples. I have been on BC since around age 15-16.

It was bad, I was miserable. Nothing made it go away except getting back on BC. I'm freaking 25! I didn't know my acne was still waiting to erupt, I figured by this age it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

razz posted:

It was bad, I was miserable. Nothing made it go away except getting back on BC. I'm freaking 25! I didn't know my acne was still waiting to erupt, I figured by this age it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

I have cystic acne, and I have no idea if BC helped it or not, so I don't now what to expect. It's pretty bad even on the pill, though. I inherited it from my dad, who is 56 and has just as much trouble now as he did in his teens. No hope of growing out of it :(

Still, I guess dealing with acne is better than a steadily declining libido and vaginal dryness, which my doctor tells me is likely caused by my pill. I know I can try other pills, but my husband had a vasectomy earlier this year and it seems like a needless expense and hassle to try others until I get one that doesn't gently caress up my sex life.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BigGayLogan posted:

I'm definitely sure it varies from person to person, but I can assure you the pill did make me gain weight. I don't have the best habits, I eat like once or twice a day and have fast food/takeout often, and I only joined the gym about two months ago, but recently I haven't been going since I've been busy with work and whatnot. Anyway, when I first started the pill, the weight gain was almost instant. I gained about 10 pounds after the first couple months. I tried all sorts of diets, even going vegetarian for a couple years, but the extra weight would not go away. And even with the gym before I got the Mirena, I went about 3-4 times a week and did everything my personal trainer told me to, and I still didn't lose any weight. Over the five years I've been on the pill I think I gained about 25-30 pounds total. Now with the Mirena, it's already been almost three weeks and I've already lost about three pounds, despite my crappy lazy habits. Once I go back to the gym I'm sure the weight will come off faster!

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anything. Just that it's kind of an individual thing and weight gain is not an inevitable side effect of hormonal birth control (which a lot of people seem to believe.)

Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!

NaturalLow posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anything. Just that it's kind of an individual thing and weight gain is not an inevitable side effect of hormonal birth control (which a lot of people seem to believe.)

For what it's worth, I'm having a much easier time losing weight now (2.5 years into Mirena time) than I ever did on the pill. I worked out like a maniac and went almost vegetarian (salads and protein shakes) one year in college and lost about 20 pounds... and then as soon as finals week hit and I wasn't going to the gym every day it all came roaring back. This time around, I'm walking to work, goofing around on Wii Fit in the mornings, and I eat much more normally. Since the beginning of the year, I've lost almost 30 pounds. The weight loss speed has been healthier this time around, and I don't feel deprived all the time since I actually eat dessert now. And I drink now - I didn't then.

Who knows how long my resolve will last, and of course this is only my experience and probably doesn't apply to anyone else, but I feel like this is the first time I've been able to lose weight/get in shape with a sustainable lifestyle so the weight will be easier to keep off, and I believe my change in birth control could have something to do with that.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

razz posted:

Yeah, I went off birth control for about 6 months last year (I was working out of state and couldn't make it back home to get more pills, plus I wasn't doing any sexing anyway so it wasn't really a big deal). My acne came back WITH A VENGEANCE. It was gross. It was like I was 15 again standing in front of the mirrors popping pimples. I have been on BC since around age 15-16.

:smith::respek::smith:
Hey "way too old for this poo poo" skin problem ladies. You could be like me and go on antibiotics every year that are probably extremely detrimental to future health. But at least I don't hate myself and cry a lot and it's better than accutane??? I wish my birth control helped my skin, I'd just stay on it forever. My skin issues are also why I'm scared to ever try Mirena. :(

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

razz posted:

That happened to me too. My dermatologist said the BC was "holding it back" or something, and that when it comes back when you're 25 or older it probably won't go away by itself. I had other acne treatment though and now my skin is fine.

In an hour and a half I'm going to (hopefully) have an IUD inserted. I'm nervous :(

Update: The insertion went fine. It was painful, sure, but it didn't last very long and the guy was all :smug: and claimed it was a "perfect insertion". Whatever man, I just hope it stays in there.

I'm still a little shaky, but there's no pain. Right now it's more like "hey someone put something in my uterus and it feels kinda weird".

oliven fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 23, 2011

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

oliven posted:

In an hour and a half I'm going to (hopefully) have an IUD inserted. I'm nervous :(

Be warned, it's going to hurt A LOT. But thankfully the worst pain will be over as soon as your doctor removes the insertion tubes, and the whole procedure takes no more than 5 minutes. You will be very crampy for the rest of the day and possibly the next, so you should wear very loose and comfortable clothing to the appointment, and try to have someone give you a ride back if possible. I would also recommend asking your doctor to prescribe you a strong painkiller like Vicodin. Motrin's ok, but high-dose painkillers get rid of the pain almost instantly. After your appointment just take it easy for the rest of the day; most likely you'd be in too much pain to want to do anything anyway.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

BigGayLogan posted:

I would also recommend asking your doctor to prescribe you a strong painkiller like Vicodin. Motrin's ok, but high-dose painkillers get rid of the pain almost instantly. After your appointment just take it easy for the rest of the day; most likely you'd be in too much pain to want to do anything anyway.

Please don't keep giving this advice. Painkillers aren't candy. You shouldn't be taking them if just ibuprofen will do. Your situation seemed to be different than the collective experiences here by either having a low tolerance for pain or a fear of potential pain.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Maybe I have semi-high pain tolerance from walking into poo poo all the time, or something, but based on my experience I wouldn't say a vicodin afterwards was necessary, or even anesthetic necessarily. It hurt like a bitch during the actual insertion, but after that a heating pad & ibuprofen were more than good enough. Obviously everyone's experience is different, I guess...

If anyone's on the fence, don't let the :stare: factor of having a stick put up your cervix scare you off. It's 20 minutes of discomfort (and perhaps only 5 of actual OW HEY OW) for 5 years of lighter periods and no babies.

:love:mirena:love:

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

kdc67 posted:

Please don't keep giving this advice. Painkillers aren't candy. You shouldn't be taking them if just ibuprofen will do. Your situation seemed to be different than the collective experiences here by either having a low tolerance for pain or a fear of potential pain.

Never said that you MUST have strong painkillers, just a simple suggestion and of course it is your choice to whether you think you need them or not. Most of the posters here got by fine on just regular old ibuprofen, and that is fine too. It ultimately depends on your personal pain tolerance and exactly how much pain you are in post-insertion. Obviously, it was the worst pain I had ever experienced in my life. It hurt to even get up or walk around. Thankfully I made a fast recovery and no longer needed the Vicodin by the second day. Motrin was just fine after that for any other cramps. Everyone is different, and I'd have loved to be someone who barely felt a pinch during insertion and could easily walk off the pain. Sorry if I've been coming off as some drug pusher or something :sweatdrop:

But of course despite my experience with the terrible insertion cramps, I have to say having an IUD is pretty awesome :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Not to mention that some doctors get a little nervous/suspicious when a patient starts specifically asking for something like Vicodin. Not that you shouldn't if you're really in that much pain, just don't be surprised if it doesn't go over well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BigGayLogan posted:

Be warned, it's going to hurt A LOT. But thankfully the worst pain will be over as soon as your doctor removes the insertion tubes, and the whole procedure takes no more than 5 minutes. You will be very crampy for the rest of the day and possibly the next, so you should wear very loose and comfortable clothing to the appointment, and try to have someone give you a ride back if possible. I would also recommend asking your doctor to prescribe you a strong painkiller like Vicodin. Motrin's ok, but high-dose painkillers get rid of the pain almost instantly. After your appointment just take it easy for the rest of the day; most likely you'd be in too much pain to want to do anything anyway.

Every woman is different. I did mine with 0 painkillers and only had about 20 seconds of pain that took my breath away. I walked out and got home and stuck a heating pad on my stomach and read for the rest of the day. It was fine. Vicodin isn't candy and is extremely addictive.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

Tigntink posted:

Every woman is different. I did mine with 0 painkillers and only had about 20 seconds of pain that took my breath away.

I did it with 0 painkillers and the best part: My whiney cousin who just gave birth was carrying on and on about how hard birth is so I turned to her at the family dinner (the night after the insertion) and said really loudly.

"Yeah, well I had a piece of metal shoved UP there yesterday and you don't hear me bitching. You think it hurt to get something to fall out? Try that in reverse without the epidural."

That shut her up. :smug:

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I have a question about emergency contraceptives.

I'm no longer on birth control. On Saturday I had sex with someone using a condom, and afterwards we found a small tear in the condom. The next day, Sunday, I took emergency contraception (Next Choice) as instructed - one in the morning, then the second one 12 hours later.

Can emergency contraceptives mess with your period? Because I was supposed to get it that next day, Monday, and it's now Friday and I still haven't gotten my period. Granted my periods have been known to be out of whack and sometimes a week or two late, but this has got me worried. I read online that women who use emergency contraceptives frequently can experience irregularity with their periods and it made me wonder if my taking it right before my period could have delayed it in some way?

...Or am I just in denial and should go take a pregnancy test :ohdear:

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
If your cycle's pretty typical (like 28 days, is regular) then your condom probably broke several days after ovulation, so it would be really unlikely that you conceived. Can't hurt to take a test though, since stressing over your period probably will make it later.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Budget Bears posted:

I have a question about emergency contraceptives.

I'm no longer on birth control. On Saturday I had sex with someone using a condom, and afterwards we found a small tear in the condom. The next day, Sunday, I took emergency contraception (Next Choice) as instructed - one in the morning, then the second one 12 hours later.

Can emergency contraceptives mess with your period? Because I was supposed to get it that next day, Monday, and it's now Friday and I still haven't gotten my period. Granted my periods have been known to be out of whack and sometimes a week or two late, but this has got me worried. I read online that women who use emergency contraceptives frequently can experience irregularity with their periods and it made me wonder if my taking it right before my period could have delayed it in some way?

...Or am I just in denial and should go take a pregnancy test :ohdear:

Emergency contraception has basically the same hormones as birth control pills, just different dosages so yes it can mess with your period. Usually somewhere in the instructions it will mention this as a potential side effect.

If it helps, it's fairly unlikely that (1) you would be fertile at that point in your cycle or (2) that a pregnancy would have time to implant and cause your period to skip in 2 days time, all with emergency contraception in your system. Despite what they say in stuff like sex ed classes, conception and pregnancy doesn't happen instantly and actually takes almost a week or two just to get established.

I'm not saying it's impossible though, so it probably would be a good idea to get a pregnancy test just to be sure. But I think it's a lot more likely that the hormones in the EC have just messed with your cycle.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Budget Bears posted:

I read online that women who use emergency contraceptives frequently can experience irregularity with their periods and it made me wonder if my taking it right before my period could have delayed it in some way?

It's not just a potential side effect... it's probably the number one most common side effect of hormonal emergency contraception. I really wish EC producers would have that as a nice, big warning on the inserts, because it would save a lot of women a lot of stress.

Your menstrual cycle is governed entirely by your hormone levels. Flooding your body with extra hormones will mess with your menstrual cycle. Depending where you were in your cycle, you could see an early or late period, a heavy or light period, different PMS symptoms... and there are lucky women who see no changes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Thanks so much guys, that is good to know! If I don't get my period by Monday I'll go ahead and take a pregnancy test just to be safe.

• Locked thread