Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Who are we?

We're a small marketing firm, and currently busy expanding into a Dallas office (Myself, the CTO, and CIO are all in Dallas, the rest of everyone is in Nashville.) and in need of two, possibly three people.

We're after someone with the rough technical skills of someone doing a helpdesk job, but you won't be doing helpdesk. In fact, you'll probably never have to deal with clients, printers, or ticketing.

This is, currently, a contract-to-hire position: I'm in the process of setting up proper payroll, but it's entirely possible the first few pay periods will be 1099/contract.

The job requires alternating Saturdays, and possibly an occasional late evening.

If you're intrested, email me at cash.stine@gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
Who are we?

We are a security company that does a little bit of everything, from managed email to cloud based web content filtering to intrusion detection. The company name is Perimeter USA.

Where are we?

All over the place, but this job is in Boston, MA.

What are we looking for?

Someone to make me look good! Seriously tho, we're looking for someone to act as a developer for operations. If you've heard of devops you're already doing a hell of a lot better than the resumes we've seen so far. We want someone with an interest in (or the ability to fake an interest in) automation. We are attempting to rebuild all the infrastructure using modern techniques (Puppet, rapid provisioning, continuous delivery) rather than having a bunch of guys do stuff by hand constantly. We're looking for someone who can program in either python or ruby (and must be willing to at least slap together ruby patches for puppet/foreman if required) and someone who is capable of getting stuff done without being handheld every step of the way.

I guess we'd be talking about junior to mid-level kind of experience but honestly we're just looking for someone with the right mindset over anything else.

The position would report to my boss (who you're realistically going to see once a week as he works from home most of the time) but you'll probably get most of your direction from me at first, probably via listening to me swear about how loving terrible something is along with pleas to make it better. Oh and you better like talking about deployment systems and pipelines and other boring poo poo because I'm going to be chewing your ear off about this stuff at first.

How do I apply?

NOTE: I don't think they do relocation pay or visas or anything like that, so you have to be local.

For now send me your resumes at apenney@perimeterusa.com and I'll forward them on to the hiring guy.

Anything else I should know?

I've only been here for 3-4 months myself, moved from Academia over, and it's been real enjoyable so far. There's definitely a lot of challenges to be met over the next couple of years but it's a small enough company that there is plenty of room to solve problems in your own way and no more than the regular amount of bullshit to wade through to get things done. The boston office is dedicated primarily to development so while this is an ops job you will end up having to help with various amounts of system stuff for the development guys (and a lot of what we're looking to do is enable self service so the dev guys don't have to ask us for things).

I'm just posting this because the last resume we got had a guy who retired from IBM in 1991 and ideally I want someone who may have at least heard of Puppet if nothing else!

Also we buy everyone mac stuff so don't sperg about having to run osx.

DigitalHeretic
Sep 14, 2002
Who are we?
Clinical Computer Systems, Inc (https://www.obix.com)

We are a perinatal fetal monitoring company. We go to hospitals and install computer systems that monitor fetal heart rates.

CCSI is a small company, around 100 employees. I've only been working here for just under a year but I would call it fairly typical for a company this size. We are growing from the "work out of the owner's garage" stage into a Small/Medium business.

Where are we?

The corporate office is in Elgin, IL (west suburb of Chicago). The majority of people are mobile workers and we don't go into the office but a few times a year.

If you live by a hub airport, you will do just fine...though right now we are desperately seeking people in the CO, IL, MI, South CA, and PA areas. Again, if you live by a hub airport, it really doesn't matter..but you will likely get higher consideration in any of the areas I mentioned.

What are we looking for?

We are adding ~10 people to the staff in the next 14 months (or that is the goal). I'm pretty sure the books say we are suppose to add 4 more this year with 8 next.

You can read the formal job description here: http://www.obix.com/pdf/S35C-210102012040_Field_Engineer.pdf

Besides that, let me expand just a bit:

1) You must be able to travel Monday through Friday. Your pets, your wives, your girlfriends, your tolerance for TSA, and everything else...there is no getting around it. If you can't travel or don't enjoy to travel, you aren't going to make it so don't waste all of our time.

2) You must be able to learn things on your own without someone spoon feeding you information. This is a small company and like a lot of companies, a few people know how to do everything and very little is documented and none of it is documented well. If you can't pick things up on the fly and run with it, again, don't waste our time.

3) You must be able to manage your time without direct supervision. I talk to my boss about 12 times a year. If you can't be Independent, get what needs to be done, done and work all by yourself, don't waste our time.

4) No dishonesty. No one cares if you don't know how to do something, you forget something, or you break something.

5) How to deal with customers/clients/C level execs and not embarrass yourself or the company.

How do I apply?

Email me your resume at usurper !at gmail and I'll get in touch with you. If you're a good fit, I'll recommend you and the rest is in your hands...

Anything else I should know?

Negatives:
You must use your own credit card / money to pay for hotels & airfare & etc... you do get reimbursed twice a month (I've yet to have a problem..but clearly this is something to consider. I've spent upwards of $10,000 in a month for travel and such).

It is a small company with a family-ish feel. There are favorites and some stupid things that aren't likely to change.

This is not as technical as you would imagine. It's actually pretty simple..but there are a lot of moving parts.

Positives:
You get to keep any points/rewards/perks from your travels.

You will go everywhere and stay everywhere and get a chance to try about anything you want.

Once you're in...you're pretty much golden.

We are growing like crazy and you will have more than enough work for the next 3 years with no problems.

No office politics, tasks managers, etc...

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Bardlebee posted:

I live in SA (young and married) and every time someone hears I am an IT person they ask me if I work at Rackspace. No, no I don't. I actually had a good interview with the NetSec team recently, they seem like a bunch of cool guys and someone could learn a lot there. All of my friends hail it as the second coming of Christ for IT people. But, they all work there, so perhaps that says something about employee treatment.

I worked in IT for about 10 years before I started at Rackspace, and yes, it is as great as they say. Not only is the pay great, but they really care about you as an employee. I've never seen anything like it. If you have the chance to be a Racker, take it. You will be more welcome and appreciated than you ever have been in any job. I was skeptical at first because it sounds too good to be true, but it's not.

Check my post history, you'll see I'm a pretty cynical bastard. I've worked at a lot of tech companies that had a lot of "rah rah" crap to try and get their employees motivated. Rackspace does what they didn't: they follow through. They don't bullshit you. They care about improving not only their customer relations but also their employee relations.

I am an employee there and I can refer people. Just keep in mind they are VERY selective in who they hire. I went through 2 phone screens, a break/fix test, and a 3 hour interview with 6 different people. It's not easy to get in.

That said, I love my goons. I'd like to talk to you on the phone and get to know you, because if I refer a bad employee, it looks bad on me. Nothing personal, just laying it out there.

PM me.

e: edited for transparency

gnarlyhotep fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 5, 2011

rocket lad
Feb 3, 2004
omfgyouguyz
The layoff hammer has struck down at work recently, and more rounds are expected by the end of the year, so here goes:

Job Seeker

My Experience
Ten years total IT experience, half of which has been in "legit" full-time positions (the first half was largely IT work on the side while in school). Experience mostly in Windows 2000/2k3/2k8 admin, XP/7 desktop support, Linux admin (RHEL/CentOS/SLES), and network support.

Certs/Education
Renewing my recently expired CCNA later this month. I have a DoD Secret clearance, Security+/Linux+/A+/Network+ certifications, an AAS in Networking Technology, a BA, and an MS in infosec (in progress).

What I'm Looking For
junior to mid-level Windows/Linux admin role, or junior/mid network engineer - preferably with a security emphasis. Entry-level security analyst would be great, also.

What I'm Not Looking For
help desk or anything without opportunity for professional growth

Where I Live
Research Triangle Park area, NC

Where I'm Looking
telecommuting or RTP/Durham/Cary/Raleigh/Chapel Hill, NC

When I Can Start
two weeks post-offer

Requirements
health/dental insurance, tuition reimbursement/training allowance

Please contact via PM. Thanks!

rocket lad fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 4, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Move to DC, you'd have a job inside 2 weeks that pays rather well.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sanchez posted:

Move to DC, you'd have a job inside 2 weeks that pays rather well.

Agreed. You'd be employed immediately and easily see 70k+. That said, cost of living is assuredly higher. But you'll also never have to look very hard for IT/security work again.

Walked fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 4, 2011

jobbot3000
Nov 1, 2011
Web Developer Opportunity at WET Design

WET® is the leader in creating environments and experiences worldwide through the primary medium of water and in the development of innovative design and technology. WET® does water feature development for architecture, landscape and urban design. Please feel free to look our company up online at https://www.wetdesign.com <http://www.wetdesign.com/> for you to see the water features that our company designs and engineers from conception to completion.WET is located in the Burbank area of Los Angeles County.

Skill Set:
• At least 4 years working experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology
• Computer Science or equivalent
• At least 4 years of working experience
• Skills should include but not limited to experience with Microsoft Visual
Studio and database programming. Advanced knowledge in ASP.NET web
programming, Visual Basic.NET, Javascript, Classic ASP, Microsoft .NET
frameworks and MS SQL Server.
• Considerable work will be done in HTML5, at least 2 years experience is a
must (we’ll want to see sample work on this one.)
• Database background should include MS SQL Server 2000 and up, MySQL 5.x
and up, PostGreSQL (a plus)
• Server background should include Windows NT Server and up, CentOS 5.x and
up.
• Must have excellent oral and written communicate skills.
• Applicants without excellent documentation skills need not apply (harsh..
but see if you can soften this up a little)
• PLUS – Ruby on Rails 2.x and up would be nice.
• PLUS – iOS 4.x and up programming would be nice.

Day-to-Day Duties:

• Correct errors by making appropriate changes and then rechecking the
program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
• Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they
will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
• Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent
revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can
understand the program.
• Write, update, and maintain computer programs or software packages to
handle specific jobs, such as tracking inventory, storing or retrieving
data, or controlling other equipment.
• Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify
program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes.
• Perform or direct revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to
increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
• Write, analyze, review, and rewrite programs, using workflow chart and
diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, subject matter,
and symbolic logic.
• Write or contribute to instructions or manuals to guide end users.
• Investigate whether networks, workstations, the central processing unit of
the system, and/or peripheral equipment are responding to a program's
instructions.
• Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output,
and logical operation, and convert them into a series of instructions
coded in a computer language.
• Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the
use of computer systems software as a systems programmer.
• Consult with and assist computer operators or system analysts to define
and resolve problems in running computer programs.
• Train subordinates in programming and program coding.
• Work closely with IT Department in a coordinated effort to implement
solutions and resolve software and system related problems.

Benefits:

• Standard holidays
• 2 weeks vacation (accrued)
• 1 week sick time (accrued)
• 401K Fidelity, Dental - Ameritas
• HMO/PPO Health Coverage – Anthem Blue Cross
• Life Insurance – Lincoln Financial
• Use of the WET workout area (that will be built and ready to use in early
2012), Annual Wellness Fair (in October) where we sponsor all employees
for Flu Shots & where they learn about a general wellness lifestyle
• Annual 4th of July BBQ
• Halloween event
• Many companywide potlucks throughout the course of the year
• WET Educational Department development for all employees to sign up and
take professional and personal self-improvement courses throughout the
year (we offer a wide variety and eclectic selection)

**To apply, please email a current copy of your resume directly to tpinkston@WETDesign.com with your contact information and advise what time of day is the most appropriate to contact you so that we can speak further. Thanks! **

rocket lad
Feb 3, 2004
omfgyouguyz
If the current family situation would allow it, I'd move to DC metro ASAP. As is, we won't really be in a position to relocate for another 18 months or so.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

jobbot3000 posted:

Web Developer Opportunity at WET Design
Somebody paid :10bux: just to post in my thread? Neat!

I'm definitely suspicious of this post, but I'll go ahead and add it to the OP because a job's a job. I'll remove it if I get complaints, though.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

brc64 posted:

Somebody paid :10bux: just to post in my thread? Neat!

I'm definitely suspicious of this post, but I'll go ahead and add it to the OP because a job's a job. I'll remove it if I get complaints, though.

It's legit. (not that I'm anybody but..) It's a friend of mine that I suggested post here as a resource.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Gropiemon posted:

It's legit. (not that I'm anybody but..) It's a friend of mine that I suggested post here as a resource.

I find it kind of funny that they have very specific requirements that whoever wrote that doesn't meet.

quote:

• Must have excellent oral and written communicate skills.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Who are we?

Ceradyne, Inc.
An advanced ceramics company that creates cool poo poo from personal body, vehicular armor, solar panels, etc. (http://www.ceradyne.com/)

Where are we?

All over but we have our main openings in Lexington, Kentucky and Quapaw, Oklahoma.

What are we looking for?

We are currently looking for a Help Desk level one part time employee and/or an intern.
Our current helpdesk is staffed by two level twos and one level one guy and we are getting stretched pretty thin. We need some basic techs to handle a lot of the simple break/fixes, troubleshooting, and end user support. I can give more details if anyone is interested. Plenty of room for advancement and we have an awesome group of guys who are more than willing to train you in anything.

I am really pushing to get this position full time but we need someone on the ground first.

How do I apply?
Send me your resume along with any questions you might have to kheisler at ceradyne dot com.

Anything I should know?

I have been working here for a year now as the lead level two guy. We currently handle everything from HTML coding, cell phones, VoIP cisco phones, managing altiris service desk 7.1, troubleshooting, break/fix, network issues, back up tapes, software installs, imaging, and researching and testing new solutions for the business. The current state of the department loving sucks because we get poo poo on with work all the time and we are extremely top heavy with bullshit project managers. The helpdesk group is awesome and we work really hard to make things better but we just don't have the man power yet.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Gerdalti posted:

This got a little wordier than I expected, but it's full of truth.

Who are we:
A small Marketing Firm that works with non-profits mostly in Direct Mail, but starting to do more with Online.

Where are we:
Bowie MD (between Washington DC, Annapolis and Baltimore)

Also, going to PM this post to Psydude as this may or may not be up his alley.

Edit: Psydude has accepted the position. Yay goon hires.

Sorry goons, Psydude accepted an offer today, position no longer open.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have another position available at my company! This one is for a spot on my team, we're looking for a web dev samurai to do some serious work with us. What I'm looking for is someone who has real experience building websites from the ground up and can show me something they've done. We're going to be playing with a lot of different web platforms so you gotta be willing to try different things out and willing to learn a language if you don't know it.

And FYI this is classified as a Junior Web Development engineer but don't expect to be doing just junior level work.

Job Details
Company: TIBCO Software
Job Functions: Administrative & Support, Architect, Information Architecture, Web Development

Description
TIBCO Spotfire products offer a visual and interactive experience that helps professionals quickly discover new and actionable insights in information. Distinguished by its speed to insight and adaptability to specific business challenges, Spotfire rapidly reveals unseen threats and new opportunities, creating significant economic value. Spotfire customers include industry leaders among the Global 2000 that have deployed Spotfire analytics to gain an information advantage over their competitors. For more information, visit http://spotfire.tibco.com.

Responsibilities:
  • Contribute to the analysis, design, development and deployment of enterprise application systems using LAMP technology stack, Web services and other evolving technologies.

• Assist in creation of project plans by identifying all required technical tasks & milestones.

• Conducts analysis of business and organizational needs and goals for the development and implementation of application systems.

• Strong troubleshooting and debugging skills across layers of an application.

• Deliver Technical Training concepts to a wide range of technical students.

• Strong desire to learn new technologies and adapt to varying situations. Responds to and addresses issues in a timely manner.

• Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Specific Skills
  • Web design and development

• PHP, C#, Java, Python, Ruby

• MySQL and/or experience with other RDBMS

• Basic knowledge of administering Windows and Linux

• Travel worldwide and domestic with 25% travel utilization expected per quarter
Education:
  • B.S. in Computer Science

How do I apply?
Send me your resume + cover letter (tell me about your creds) to aosman@tibco.com

HorusTheAvenger
Nov 7, 2005
Job Seeker

My Experience
11 years total IT experience, 6 years in full time sysadmin, the rest in various co-op positions. I am strongest in Linux server/desktop admin, but can also do everything else (Windows, Mac, storage, networks, etc).

Education
BMath Computer Science Major.

What I'm Looking For
Intermediate to Senior-level Linux/Windows admin role. Web servers, compute servers, desktops, anything really.

What I'm Not Looking For
Help desk. Conservative red-tape environments.

Where I'm Looking
Toronto, Ontario.

Why I'm looking
Looking to relocate to Toronto. I want to live in the city.

When I Can Start
Two to three weeks post-offer.

Email joe at stauttener.com

Bodybuilding Virgin 420
Aug 29, 2000

Bodybuilding Virgin 420 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 3, 2013

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
Who are we?

HostDime is a privately owned, leading website hosting provider offering managed services. Since our founding in 2001, our fully supported services and tools have empowered users to do more with affordable cost in mind.

Our company quickly gained popularity shortly after conception and became recognized as a reliable web hosting company. Due to high customer demand, we began planning expansion of our services and product line for the following year.

In 2003, HostDime opened its first data center in Orlando, Florida and migrated all web hosting service operations from a prior third party data center facility. Dedicated server hosting, colocation, and ISP services were added to the product line. Not only that, our number of employees jumped from only five people to a team of fifteen staff.

In the Fall of 2004, we outgrew the capabilities of our first data center and plans for a second data center were initiated. By early 2005, our second data center was launched introducing over 10,000 square feet of additional space for growth. Since then we have continued to expand our data center and opened up additional HostDime locations in 7 countries.

Now in 2011, HostDime has over 200 employees. Through various partnerships with leading companies in the software and bandwidth industries, HostDime has evolved as a central source for web hosting solutions. Presently ranked among the top 50 hosts in the world, we host over 1,000,000 domains. We will continue to do what we do best: deliver reliable, high quality hosting with exceptional support, cost-effectively.

Where are we?

Orlando, FL (UCF Area for Support/Sales office and Maitland Area for Datacenter)

What are we looking for?

Server Analyst (Entry Level) - The Server Analyst position is our entry-level technical support position. In this position, you will be working with fellow technicians resolving technical support issues with technology ranging from various Linux Distributions to Windows Server, from Apache to Nginx, and from PHP to MySQL, encompassing all technology required to run a web business. An ideal candidate for this position should have an open mind and a hungry appetite to learn more about the world of Web Hosting and the exciting field of Information Technology.

Sales Analyst (Entry Level) - The Sales Analyst position is our entry-level sales position. This position is our front-line for pre-sales questions. You will learn a great deal about all the various products we offer and how they fit each customer. You will also become familiar with products we sell to compliment our web hosting products such as Dedicated IP Addresses and SSL Certificates. This entry-level position gives you the base you need to prepare yourself for more high-level sales with our Dedicated Server Specialists.

Abuse/Security Analyst (Experience Preferred) - This position is responsible for several aspects of the daily abuse and security work flow of our network; monitoring queues and keeping up with incidents. This position will be expected to operate scripts and conduct manual scans of hosting accounts. A high level of thought is required in order to attack these issues proactively and fix vulnerabilities that could potentially arise in the future. All applicants should be customer service oriented and must be able to relate any technical issue to layman’s terms.

System Technician (Experience Preferred) - Our System Technician I position is a great way to develop and nurture skills with hands-on experience dealing with system hardware, shell programming, and much more. This position is a springboard for many other opportunities in the company, such as full-time System Administration as well as advanced coding positions on our Integrations team, serving as back-end developers working on our internal systems which keep our datacenter running at optimal levels. What better way to learn about system administration than working in a datacenter and honing your skills with other like-minded peers?

Windows System Analyst (Experience Required) - The Windows System Analyst position is our entry-level position in the Windows support department. This position will be working directly with Windows 2003 and 2008 servers. Daily tasks range from troubleshooting .NET application errors in IIS to restoring MSSQL databases. Candidates should have a strong background in Windows server administration as well as a passion for learning new web hosting technologies. Position can lead to an administrator position in our offices or in our network facility.

Why should I work here?

I've copy and pasted most of the above but from me directly, you should work for this company because you will learn and grow with a group of people who genuinely care about your advancement. While many of these positions are "Help Desk" positions, I can attest to the fact that there is copious room for advancement, and a great laid-back workforce who just wants to get the job done and have a great time doing it. We try to create an environment where students at local universities and people just starting in the IT field can gain a great deal of experience while working with their complicated school schedules (screw you IT program at UCF and your terrible class times), and move on to higher positions in the company or onto careers in the field elsewhere. These positions for the most part are not geared towards people with degrees but moreso for students, but please do not let this dissuade anyone from applying if the positions sound interesting. We make exceptions and hire higher level positions as needed and will continue to do so as the opportunities arise.

How do I apply?

Fill out the form here and email me directly at dennis dot h at hostdime dot com with your name so I can check your resume and get it over to our hiring managers as soon as possible.

When can I start?

We are consistently hiring so whenever is convenient for you.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

auruspex posted:

Who are we?

HostDime is a privately owned, leading website hosting provider offering managed services. Since our founding in 2001, our fully supported services and tools have empowered users to do more with affordable cost in mind.

*snip*

Sent you an email with a few questions.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Edit: No openings presently.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 8, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comradephate posted:

- Contract pay only, except there's no contract. Pay is every two weeks, taxes aren't withheld - you'll be 1099'd. No benefits, PTO, or anything normal human beings receive for working.

I would strongly encourage you to talk to your bosses/owners about this. This is pretty much against the law. You can't hire 1099 contractors and treat them like W-2 employees.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I would strongly encourage you to talk to your bosses/owners about this. This is pretty much against the law. You can't hire 1099 contractors and treat them like W-2 employees.

Oh, I know. I intend to broach the subject relatively soon, but it seems like a good way to get myself on some peoples' shitlists.

Cortel
Sep 9, 2008

Comradephate posted:

a job

Passed this along to someone I know, thanks!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Oh, I know. I intend to broach the subject relatively soon, but it seems like a good way to get myself on some peoples' shitlists.

Advertising jobs like that is a pretty good way to get on the IRS's shitlist. Probably not YOU, personally, but the company you work for. Seriously, you cannot specify a shift or schedule for a 1099 contractor.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

DNova posted:

Advertising jobs like that is a pretty good way to get on the IRS's shitlist. Probably not YOU, personally, but the company you work for. Seriously, you cannot specify a shift or schedule for a 1099 contractor.

Source? That seems extremely restrictive and ridiculous.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Source? That seems extremely restrictive and ridiculous.

the fuckin' IRS posted:

Under common-law rules, anyone who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done. This is so even when you give the employee freedom of action. What matters is that you have the right to control the details of how the services are performed.

Example: Donna Lee is a salesperson employed on a full-time basis by Bob Blue, an auto dealer. She works 6 days a week, and is on duty in Bob's showroom on certain assigned days and times. She appraises trade-ins, but her appraisals are subject to the sales manager's approval. Lists of prospective customers belong to the dealer. She has to develop leads and report results to the sales manager. Because of her experience, she requires only minimal assistance in closing and financing sales and in other phases of her work. She is paid a commission and is eligible for prizes and bonuses offered by Bob. Bob also pays the cost of health insurance and group-term life insurance for Donna. Donna is an employee of Bob Blue.

Emphasis mine.

source: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179112,00.html

the IRS again posted:

If an employer-employee relationship exists (regardless of what the relationship is called), you are not an independent contractor and your earnings are generally not subject to Medicare and Social Security Taxes for Self-Employed.

source: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179115,00.html

base article: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

edit: I see you have edited your post. That is very smart. edit2: errr, you really should remove any language alluding to "contract" pay.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 19, 2011

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Thanks for taking the time to post that.

It's still ridiculous because it seems like it kind of makes contracting people for reasons besides things like efficiency consults completely useless.

I'll talk to our HR guy, though I doubt anything will change. Dubious legality from the employer side aside, if someone wants to work 3rd shift at a pretty chill work from home job, the position is still open.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Comradephate posted:

It's still ridiculous because it seems like it kind of makes contracting people for reasons besides things like efficiency consults completely useless.

1099 contractors are capex, in most if not all scenarios. Using one as a regular employee is basically cheating on your taxes.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I'm a recent graduate looking for a programming position, but this isn't what I'm asking for at the moment. I was wondering if some fellow IT goons would be able to share their resume or provide tips on how to write a resume for IT/programming work. i.e., what work experience to list, what interests/hobbies to emphasise, what language to use when describing previous work/achievements.

I've got limited work experience, a 6 month freelance gig for a research project and a year of casual helpdesk work (plus a few years of retail while at high-school) and managed to land my last two jobs without presenting a resume/cv.

Edit: Should probably mention the degree. I've submitted my honours thesis as of last week, so I haven't actually graduated yet. If/when I do I'll have completed a Bachelor of Computer Science (Games Technology) (Honours) degree.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 22, 2011

bort
Mar 13, 2003

While a horrible resume can prevent you from getting a job, the best resume doesn't get you one. If you can get another job without submitting one, do it.

Tech resumes are to be reviewed by HR people first off. You have half a page to get their attention. You want all your acronyms and certifications, technologies and languages you know and kinda know in one blob up there.

After that, experience, in a bulleted list with sentences showing work you were tasked with and how you got it done. You might also indicate you're a recent grad with honors right at the top of this, or even precede experience with education this first time only.

What managers want from a recent grad is pretty basic, unless you're in some specialty. Add items that show you learn fast, think outside the box, and work your rear end off at the tasks others might not want to do. Their goals are to save money and to have unproblematic employees, so write with that in mind. They also don't have a lot of time, so don't make it overly long unless you have a storied career.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You'll probably get some good feedback here, but there's also a newbie megathread in CoC 'get a job/how do I linked list' that kind of covers more generic topics:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376083

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Thanks for that, I had a look in the careers subforum of A/T but didn't notice anything tailored to IT jobs, just the general resume thread.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Bodybuilding Virgin 420 posted:

Financial district, NYC

Email me at jobpost45@gmail.com

When can I start?
ASAP

Just emailed you with an application, I look forward to hearing from you.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin
This thread really helped me fill my last opening, so here's another one:

What we need
A full-time software engineer experienced in iOS and Mac OS X development. Specifically, we’re looking for someone to write games. We’re looking for someone with a deep understanding of UIKit, Quartz and CoreAnimation. We’re not big on blanket requirements for education or experience, although both help tremendously.

I understand that there are a lot of smart people whose software experience is largely amateur or open-source related; please don’t be shy about talking about that. I also understand that there are a lot of very capable people who don’t have degrees, or who have degrees in a non-technical field. If you think you’re a good iOS or OS X graphics dev, then I’d like to hear from you.

Who we are
We’re a casino gaming company in Las Vegas, NV. We’ve been in business for several years now, and have roughly 25 employees. Our products focus on bringing casinos into the 21st century, which means a lot of new exciting back-of-house systems, great new marketing tools as well as gambling games that look a lot more like casual games you’d play for fun rather than traditional slot machines.

Why it rocks to work here
We’re a small, focused team. Everyone knows and likes each other, and we’re all really passionate about our work. We’re really fond of telecommuting and flexible work schedules. Everyone is expected to think independently and take ownership of their work, meaning that you will be given tremendous latitude. We will expect tremendous results, and recognize you for them.

We’ve got medical coverage, free soda, a fantastic workplace and free barbeques twice a month or so. We need someone in Las Vegas, but we do offer relocation assistance.

How to apply
Please e-mail me at sajoblisting@logostopia.com. Please don’t PM me here on the forums. In addition to a resume, I’d like to hear a little bit of an introduction from you – what sort of stuff has interested you lately, and why you think working in gaming is something that might interest you.

When we need you
If I could start someone today, I would – that said, we get that things take time especially if relocation is involved, and so we’d be willing to wait a little bit.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Update for the 1-2 people who care: Our HR guy is well aware of the implications of 1099ing employees, and is pushing the owner to change things for the next tax period.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I posted this back in July, but the position is still open. It's for a Tier 2 Customer Support Rep near Brick, NJ:

What are we looking for?
Someone with a great understanding of how Web sites work. Someone who can learn to use various web sites quickly and troubleshoot a wide variety of issues on these sites. Someone who can write well in English. Someone who can write MySQL queries for generating custom reports and making corrections to application data. Someone with programming or scripting knowledge is a plus. The position is mainly Web focused but will sometimes require general IT knowledge and troubleshooting in a windows environment.

What are we not looking for?
Someone who isn't capable of diagnosing common Web site issues like a broken link or javascript error. Someone who can't communicate well. Someone who gives up on a problem when it's too involved.

Anything else?
This position is full time and offers benefits. We follow a typical work day and have no late hours, weekends or on call. You will not even be on the phones. Mostly you will be responding to tickets from other support reps.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Hey there, saw this thread and thought I'd give this a shot. I'm looking for work right now around the Salt Lake City area, anything would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to speak with me through the phone feel free throw an email at me (listed below).

My experience: Right now about a year of school and 8 months going from Level 1 to Level 2 Service Desk in a callcenter.
What I'm looking for: I want to start getting my hands dirty with actual computer repair, or at least get started in a new direction.
What I'm NOT looking for: More inbound/outbound phone support.
Where I live: Salt Lake City, Utah
Where I'm looking: Salt Lake City Utah and its surrounding areas – Sandy, Murray, Draper, etc. We can talk about how too far is once I have more details.
When I can start: Pretty much as soon as possible, given appropriate notice for my current employer
Requirements: At least full time if possible, first or second shift (Please no graveyard)
Can be reached via: PM, colejstocks@gmail.com

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Green Puddin posted:

Hey there, saw this thread and thought I'd give this a shot. I'm looking for work right now around the Salt Lake City area, anything would be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to speak with me through the phone feel free throw an email at me (listed below).

My experience: Right now about a year of school and 8 months going from Level 1 to Level 2 Service Desk in a callcenter.
What I'm looking for: I want to start getting my hands dirty with actual computer repair, or at least get started in a new direction.
What I'm NOT looking for: More inbound/outbound phone support.
Where I live: Salt Lake City, Utah
Where I'm looking: Salt Lake City Utah and its surrounding areas – Sandy, Murray, Draper, etc. We can talk about how too far is once I have more details.
When I can start: Pretty much as soon as possible, given appropriate notice for my current employer
Requirements: At least full time if possible, first or second shift (Please no graveyard)
Can be reached via: PM, colejstocks@gmail.com

I don't have any hookups with them but you might want to check out westhost - they're a web hosting company based out of Salt Lake City and also have a datacenter there.

http://www.westhost.com/utah-job-opportunities/

Merk Mang
Jan 24, 2004

Why don't you just get up and dance?
Job seeker

Got laid off earlier this year from a sysadmin job in Indianapolis, picked up a part-time job helping out an infosec guy at Indiana University with hopes that it would segue into a full-time position but that hasn't panned out thanks to budget constraints. Here's hoping:

My experience: BS in Informatics from Indiana University, 4 years working in IT primarily doing Win/Mac desktop support. I have experience in configuring Exchange servers and Active Directory and I've done a good amount of web development using ColdFusion, Python, and MSSQL as well. Currently working on getting my CCNA.
What I'm looking for: Desktop support or an entry-level web development gig
What I'm NOT looking for: Part-time or call center work
Where I live: Near Bloomington, IN
Where I'm looking: I'm willing to relocate anywhere but I'd prefer the Midwest
When I can start: Two weeks after accepting an offer
Requirements: I'd prefer a full-time salaried position with benefits
Can be reached via: PM or apparatus.mmerkler@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
My experience: Not very much, in progress towards getting my MCTS and Network+ at the current moment, basic networking and hardware knowledge. Benefits of having a Database Admin and Avaya Specialist as roommates.
What I'm looking for: Entry level stuff, I'm open for anything. I am a very fast learner.
What I'm NOT looking for: Something way above my skill level.
Where I live: New Jersey, willing to travel in the state.
Where I'm looking: The same state, but I'm open to relocating.
When I can start: Two weeks after accepting an offer.
Requirements: I'd prefer a full-time position.
Can be reached via:frylock569@gmail.com