Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Lachesis advice, sounds like that is definitely one to avoid.

I actually fixed my Habu by poking arbitrarily at the insides via the removeable side button panel. But I'm still interested in something new, it's getting a little worn.

Backno posted:

I have a R.A.T 7 that I enjoy. I have the same issue with the sloped ones like the Logitechs. Took some tweeking to get everything set up how I wanted, but now that it's set I love it.
I remember when these came out and thinking how they look absolutely ridiculous! But I am interested. I assume all of the adjustable parts sit completely out of contact with your hand? What's your opinion on the interchangeable parts, useful or just a gimmick? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've yet to suffer from poor QA with my Razor mouse yet. Had it for about a year, and it has had some pretty heavy use. Guess I must have got one that was built on a good day at the factory.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I have a Logitech G500 and G700. I am looking for something without the stupid tilting scroll wheel, and only two buttons on the side instead of a cluster of them. I've been looking mainly at the Steelseries Sensei and Zowie EC1/EC2. Does anyone have any experience with these? The Zowie mice really caught my eye with their simplicity, but I'm not sure what the best mouse pad would be for optical mice. I have a Steelseries 9HD (hard surface mouse pad).

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

You Am I posted:

I've yet to suffer from poor QA with my Razor mouse yet. Had it for about a year, and it has had some pretty heavy use. Guess I must have got one that was built on a good day at the factory.

Razer has some issues they need to fix like the thin feet on their mice. You need to double feet the Deathadder or it rubs against the mouse pad in a few days and the noise it makes can drive one to drink. I did it with my DA Black Edition and works much better with a lower LOD on it as well.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Tunga posted:

Was considering a Lachesis or a Sidewinder X8.

I rather enjoy the X8 I've been using for a bit over two years. Wouldn't mind if it were a little heavier, but it's comfortable and I haven't had tracking issues that didn't involve cat hair in the sensor. It's recently started missing clicks occasionally, but I chalk that up to wear and will probably tear it down for a cleaning once I settle into my new place.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
If logitech still make G3, you guys who have issues with mice breaking should get one.
This one has lasted me 5 years and counting, bought it when it just came out, one of the first laser mice available.

It has gone through iccup broodwar, CS, SC2, LoL. Tons of singleplayer/non-competitive multiplayer games and 2 years of freelance graphics work

Edit.
Mileage may vary. The first batch might have been made with the best materials just to test the waters.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 17, 2011

jholland
Feb 25, 2006

Heidey-ho neighbors!
Caved in and purchased a Logitech G9X today based on a few reviews in this thread, and so far so good. Aside from the fact that the only one I could find is the stupid COD MW3 edition, I love every single thing about this mouse. And if I've learned anything about gaming mice, the art/logo on the mouse fades away after a few months anyway.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

My mx518 scroll wheel broke and I'm getting a free g400 as a replacement from logtitech. Are they similar? I am attached to my mx518 cause I've used it for a couple years and I don't want a lovely replacement.

jholland
Feb 25, 2006

Heidey-ho neighbors!

Slider posted:

My mx518 scroll wheel broke and I'm getting a free g400 as a replacement from logtitech. Are they similar? I am attached to my mx518 cause I've used it for a couple years and I don't want a lovely replacement.

From the Logitech site:

"If you liked the Logitech MX518, you'll love the G400. You get the features you've come to rely on with improvements in precision and speed."

So yeah, it's basically built to be exactly like the 518. I tried one of these out at the store and really liked it (As stated, it was almost exactly like my old MX518 and G5+Buttons). Only reason I went a different route was because I loved the feel of my MX Anywhere that I have.

e: Also, drat, I wish I knew they had great service like that. I've tossed away probably 3 mice due to broken scroll wheels (Granted, a couple of them were my fault :P).

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

jholland posted:

From the Logitech site:

"If you liked the Logitech MX518, you'll love the G400. You get the features you've come to rely on with improvements in precision and speed."

So yeah, it's basically built to be exactly like the 518. I tried one of these out at the store and really liked it (As stated, it was almost exactly like my old MX518 and G5+Buttons). Only reason I went a different route was because I loved the feel of my MX Anywhere that I have.

e: Also, drat, I wish I knew they had great service like that. I've tossed away probably 3 mice due to broken scroll wheels (Granted, a couple of them were my fault :P).

yeah their warranty service is excellent. I sent in a ticket and 2 days later the rep send out the replacement.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Slider posted:

There's a guy who works for Logitech on SA. We got the scoop on the 518 replacement pretty soon. It's almost exactly the same. You'll be happy if you were happy with the 518. (I am, I have a MX518, and a brand new MX518 still in the box for when this one stops working).

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Tunga posted:

Thanks for the Lachesis advice, sounds like that is definitely one to avoid.

I actually fixed my Habu by poking arbitrarily at the insides via the removeable side button panel. But I'm still interested in something new, it's getting a little worn.
I remember when these came out and thinking how they look absolutely ridiculous! But I am interested. I assume all of the adjustable parts sit completely out of contact with your hand? What's your opinion on the interchangeable parts, useful or just a gimmick? Thanks.

If you look at the pictures the silver knob at the back of the mouse unscrews and is the allen key for doing all the adjustment. You can adjust the length of the mouse, how far forward/backward the thumb buttons are, how far in/out the thumb rest is, and the weight.

The interchangeable parts are either a more textured version of the stock ones (these are what I use) or a palm rest that is much taller and a pinkie grip with a wing ( I didn't like it). It took me a couple of weeks to find the sweet spot but once I did I have not had to touch it since.

The big thing is make sure you get it one sale. I like it a lot more then the Logitechs I have owned just because I don't get any of the wrist or finger pains I used to get from them. Also the feet are a little thin so I will be looking to get some new ones soon.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Mousechat. I can't wait for the Zowie AM which has been announced for a while. While I love the Mico, two additional buttons are very welcome. Should arrive in about two weeks. Just look at it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

How's the G300 for fingertip use? I rest the heel of my hand on my desk and move the mouse with my fingers/moderate wrist movement. I currently have a Microsoft X3 that I replaced my piece of poo poo Razer with but the shape is starting to drive me mad.

I like the small size of the G300 and the accessible extra buttons for your index and middle fingers but can't help but think the sculpted sides will not for comfortable for fingertip use. If so, are there any alternatives in this price range? I'm done buying $100 mice since they seem to die as soon or sooner than the cheap ones.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Mousechat. I can't wait for the Zowie AM which has been announced for a while. While I love the Mico, two additional buttons are very welcome. Should arrive in about two weeks. Just look at it.

I don't know much about Zowie mice and their website doesn't seem very helpful... what is the difference between the AM and the AM-GS?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Trisk posted:

I don't know much about Zowie mice and their website doesn't seem very helpful... what is the difference between the AM and the AM-GS?

From what I can tell, the AM has rubberized sides and the AM-GS does not.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Trisk posted:

You think that page is unhelpful? Check out their store:

quote:

This mouse is so special, that we can’t explain all of the details. In fact, we don’t even want to. The IO1.1 is one of those things, that you just have to experience first hand in order to understand the thrill of joy when using it.
Product Description
We have a little fairytale for you. Once upon a time, there was a very popular mouse named 1.1 Special Edition – 1.1 SE for short. The mouse had a special coating which ensured a very comfortable grip in the hand. The people loved it! Suddenly, the mouse was gone as fast as it has come on the market – and the people wondered. Where did it go!? They craved for a solution. A savior, who could bring this mouse back! The savior is here.

This mouse is so special, that we can’t explain all of the details. In fact, we don’t even want to. The IO1.1 is one of those things, that you just have to experience first hand in order to understand the thrill of joy when using it.

No specs, no dimensions, no nothing. Probably to hide that you can buy this exact same mouse from Microsoft for like 10 dollars.

http://www.zowiegear.dk/mice/zowie-io1-1zg-champagne.html

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

No specs, no dimensions, no nothing. Probably to hide that you can buy this exact same mouse from Microsoft for like 10 dollars.

http://www.zowiegear.dk/mice/zowie-io1-1zg-champagne.html

The MS Intellimouse 1.1 Special Edition was a Big Deal in the competitive Counter-Strike community, with some of them going for as much as $200 since they were apparently pretty rare. As far as I've been informed, the only differences were the coating and the innards were sourced from the Intellimouse 3.0

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Wheeee posted:

How's the G300 for fingertip use? I rest the heel of my hand on my desk and move the mouse with my fingers/moderate wrist movement. I currently have a Microsoft X3 that I replaced my piece of poo poo Razer with but the shape is starting to drive me mad.

I like the small size of the G300 and the accessible extra buttons for your index and middle fingers but can't help but think the sculpted sides will not for comfortable for fingertip use. If so, are there any alternatives in this price range? I'm done buying $100 mice since they seem to die as soon or sooner than the cheap ones.

I don't really claw my mice, but I hybrid on the desktop and I think it's doable. In general I can't recommend the G300 enough. It's really loving good, easily the best product logitech has ever made unless some kind of durability issue crops up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anyone else with a G500 have some issues with the middle click sometimes not registering?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 20, 2011

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anyone else with a G500 have some issues with the middle click sometimes not registering?

I don't ever really use the wheel for anything critical (just web browsing stuff) but the wheel is the worst thing about the G500, also one of my favorites to whine about.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I really wish they'd just give up on the switching scroll wheel.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really wish they'd just give up on the switching scroll wheel.
The automatic switching scroll wheel on the MX Revolution was fantastic. The manual one on the G9 isn't very useful.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dominoes posted:

The automatic switching scroll wheel on the MX Revolution was fantastic. The manual one on the G9 isn't very useful.

I hated it. At least when the G500 is in clicky mode it doesn't spring backwards on you.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wish they would give up on the horizontal side scrolling thing with the wheel, I like the other aspects of the G500 wheel.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Side-scrolling wheels are the best 6th-7th mouse buttons ever. I never ever use them for lateral scrolling.

In related news, everyone who hates middle-clicking on a G500 or similar should try using the right tilt instead. It's a LOT faster, particularly for games (where you aren't missing out on Ctrl-Tab or whatnot).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I love the horizontal scrolling. I use it all the time in Logic and iMovie.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dogen posted:

I wish they would give up on the horizontal side scrolling thing with the wheel, I like the other aspects of the G500 wheel.
Sounds like someone's never bound sidescroll to change tabs!

Crtl-pgup and Ctrl-pgdn, (or Ctrl-tab like Credo said)

vvvv Looks like we had this conversation in September.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 21, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I did, since someone mentioned it in the thread. Still don't care for it, but I guess I am as crazy as people who don't like side buttons.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Dominoes posted:

What do you use to bind controls to the mouse like this? I have a Logitech M500 if it matters.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

What do you use to bind controls to the mouse like this? I have a Logitech M500 if it matters.
SetPoint.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dominoes posted:

I use mouse gestures to change tabs. Hold right mouse button, drag right/left.
I'm not sure moving my finger side to side sounds much easier.

Mootowncow
Sep 4, 2011
Looking at mice to buy right now and I'm really stuck between the G500 and the G9x. The features seem relatively the same to me, since I don't do any crazy macro stuff with mice. It seems the biggest difference is ergonomics. The only mouse I have sitting around right now is a M510. Besides the fact that I really don't like the wireless it does seem a hair smaller than I'd like. The sensitivity also seems really off to me, can't get it just right but that might just be the wireless screwing with me. Also, from the other mice I've used I'm more used to the ergonomics created from the left click being higher than the left one. Also at home I have a wheel that does the side clicks and I actually really enjoy that. That said, which mouse would be the better fit for me, G500 or the G9x?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The only way to be 100% sure of your ergonomics preferences is to try the mouse. Either go to a physical shop that lets you try them (in most of Europe MediaMarkt does), or be willing to return it if you buy online and make the wrong choice.

I'd look at the G9/G9x first, because if the M510 is only a "hair" smaller than you like then the G500 may be too big for you (then again, I was more of a claw than a palm gripper and I still love the G500). The G500 does have the whole left-button-higher-than-right-one though. There's also the M500 which is a nice middle option if you don't need extra buttons or crazy sensitivities.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 21, 2011

Mootowncow
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to locate a store that carries those mice in my area, actually sort of surprised at that. I'm thinking that I could really just buy either one and not really go wrong, since I never had trouble with the larger mouse at home, which I believe has the same shape as the G500, but I'm not sure. At this point I'm leaning towards the g9x.

Grabbed the M510 from the other computer and it felt natural enough really quickly, so I guess I don't have "picky" hands. I do claw grip though, which I didn't realize until I just looked it up, which is also when I realized that I've been using a touchpad for the past 5 months (been using this netbook pretty heavily during that time) which makes me wonder how I don't have carpal tunnel.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Quick question, are the + and - DPI shift buttons on the Logitech G400 programmable?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Quick question, are the + and - DPI shift buttons on the Logitech G400 programmable?

Yes, you can assign pretty much anything to them, including macros.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bensa posted:

Yes, you can assign pretty much anything to them, including macros.

Swoon! Thanks, ordered from Newegg.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I have a pretty strange request here, but I'd really appreciate some help.

Does anyone know of a left-handed mouse that has 7 or more buttons? 5 really isn't enough. A friend of mine intends to play games (badly) after breaking his right collarbone, and would really appreciate such a thing at any price point if it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

G300 is symmetrical and has 9 total buttons.