Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
10 man roller team, tell me more :allears:

All this talk of "lines" makes me look to the future with hope. Saying that anyone on our team has a real "position" except our best player (who we stuck as a forward) and our goalie is probably speaking conceptually at best. In practice, we normally have 1 or 2 guys on the bench at most, which leads to just rolling lines. But I digress...

For our PK we normally roll 1F 2D, but definitely let the forwards play D if it's "their shift" to get time on the floor. In a PP situation, we just keep rolling our "lines." Like many have said you get better by playing in pressure situations, and it's loving beer league. If I think it's best for the team (and it normally is) I'll bench myself in a big time situation to try and get the best players out on the floor -- but I wouldn't ask someone else to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Loqieu posted:

stuff about getting benched in a beer league
What a bunch of horseshit. This is not common and the people you play with are douchebags. Tell them it's a beer league and you pay to play.

On that topic, sometimes it'd be nice if all the hot shots didn't all cluster on one line and leave one poo poo line out to dry.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tank44 posted:

We do the same too... One query for the group, what do you do in PK situations?
A> Play the best people in a PK unit
B> keep rotation where you continue to rotate players so nobody misses a shift (keeping 2 D & 2 F on at all times)
C> keep rotation by position so if a D get a penalty, you play 3 F & 1 D or if C gets the penalty, you play 2 W & 2D

B.

We always keep 2D/2F. We go on in whatever order we're sitting on the bench. Usually our lines are sitting next to each other, so it works out. The only exception is we always keep one of our regular centers out there, so we won't have 2 wingers out there together on a PK.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Wait, I can't do backwards crossovers! I'm terrible!

Miracle Mile? So how long does it take you to get to that rink the valley. I'm looking for apartments right now on the west side (Culver City/Santa Monica/Palms/etc.) so yeah. I'll definitely PM you once I finally get moved but its not happening until after the holidays.

Sorry didn't mean to imply that :( That's why everyone is there, to get better!

The burbank rink takes me about 25-30 min late at night.

Torrance is about the same.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

10 man roller team, tell me more :allears:

All this talk of "lines" makes me look to the future with hope. Saying that anyone on our team has a real "position" except our best player (who we stuck as a forward) and our goalie is probably speaking conceptually at best. In practice, we normally have 1 or 2 guys on the bench at most, which leads to just rolling lines. But I digress...

For our PK we normally roll 1F 2D, but definitely let the forwards play D if it's "their shift" to get time on the floor. In a PP situation, we just keep rolling our "lines." Like many have said you get better by playing in pressure situations, and it's loving beer league. If I think it's best for the team (and it normally is) I'll bench myself in a big time situation to try and get the best players out on the floor -- but I wouldn't ask someone else to do that.

Well we usually try to keep at least our D pairings together and consistent. Since we have an odd number of players on the team (when full) we have done like a 7 F and 4 D set up. This week we're looking to do 6 F and 5 D

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I always volunteer to sit out the PK because I don't have a clue where to be or what to do and I like having an extra shift off for rest now and then

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I'm curious what you guys do during playoffs as far as lines go. It's my first season captaining a team (also first season for the team in this league having moved up from never-ever) and we are about middle of the pack though we have beaten everyone in the league (very rough start, 0-4-1 now 7-7-2). does anyone make use of a loaded power-line when the team is down by 2, on PP, PK or down by 1 with a few minutes to go in the game? For regular season I've been pretty "who gives a gently caress it's beer league" about it, but some have expressed interest in me changing that attitude during playoffs which I'm not totally against. Just curious as to your guys thoughts.

lizardking fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 15, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We don't dick with the lines at all, even in the playoffs. No sense in stacking your first line then having 2-3 lines of mediocre to lovely players. Nothing is worse than having every third shift feel like a PK. Plus, line chemistry etc.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
The only time we really dick with lines is when people are absent, which lately is happening all the time. But we have a 1st line that's pretty much the same every game, then a 2nd line of forwards and usually have 2 full lines of D to run.

Don't really do anything different for PP/PK's because we continue the rotation like normal unless it's the championship game and we're down by a goal or something.

Otherwise we all payed to play and no need to be a dick short-shifting someone cause they're bad.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
$30 for a season seems like such a crazy deal...I paid that much on Sunday for a drop in class followed by stick and puck. Generally with PKs we just go with whatever lines are due out + a volunteer sitting it out...unless our team's had a million penalties that game I'm usually the volunteer on my line just because other people are better at defense than me.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

real_scud posted:

The only time we really dick with lines is when people are absent, which lately is happening all the time. But we have a 1st line that's pretty much the same every game, then a 2nd line of forwards and usually have 2 full lines of D to run.

Don't really do anything different for PP/PK's because we continue the rotation like normal unless it's the championship game and we're down by a goal or something.

Otherwise we all payed to play and no need to be a dick short-shifting someone cause they're bad.

The only argument I can think of for short shifting in playoffs is so you can play more games.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

For PKs, we usually sit the position of the culprit. i.e. if a LW took the penalty, then LWs sit for 2 minutes.

Except for D. We always skate two D, so someone up has to sit...because we're awesome :smug:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

Except for D. We always skate two D, so someone up has to sit...because we're awesome :smug:

That's because our penalties are always the necessary ones :smug:

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Dangerllama posted:

For PKs, we usually sit the position of the culprit. i.e. if a LW took the penalty, then LWs sit for 2 minutes.

This is what we try to do but our D are the ones getting 75% of the penalties. They get more penalties and more ice time. In these cases we've been trying to put 1 D with a full-line out where the C is the 2nd D person and the two Ws play up.

E: bought a Reebok 8K bag today online.with two 5k recommendations thought it was worth a try.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Today was payday, so I was going to pick up a piece of equipment. If I've never had any of this stuff on, is it a good or bad idea to shop online? I was really looking at getting gloves. Am I better off putting it off til next week when I'm able to drop by a shop and try them on? I was definitely leaning that way on elbow pads.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try everything on first, that's my opinion. Then order online.

If you got skates I'd get a helmet next, then shins & pants.
Then you can go to public skates and practice starts and stops without hurting yourself too badly.

Then i'd go elbow pads and gloves.

Or if you're thinking you want to shoot the puck and have a shooting mat / net already, go get the gloves next and a stick so you can start dicking around puckhandling, etc.

Also IceWarehouse has some pretty good deals on starter kits. http://www.icewarehouse.com/PackageDeal.html?ccode=SRICEPACK . I got 2 new easton EQ30s for 60 each and they were delivered to my work address in 28 hours perfectly packed with free shipping. Cant wait to try them out and the process was super smooth.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sash! posted:

Today was payday, so I was going to pick up a piece of equipment. If I've never had any of this stuff on, is it a good or bad idea to shop online? I was really looking at getting gloves. Am I better off putting it off til next week when I'm able to drop by a shop and try them on? I was definitely leaning that way on elbow pads.

Try gloves on in person before you buy. I am very picky about gloves because I prefer ones that are roomy and have a lot of mobility/flexibility. This is why I use Easton EQ 5s. Easton gloves always feel perfect to me. I have a pair of Reebok pro stocks from the AHL all star game that are brand new but I hate how snug they fit my hand compared to how big and bulky they are. When it comes to hockey equipment, its nice to try stuff on and move around. Nothing is worse than buying a piece and realizing you hate how the shoulders ride up when you lift your arms halfway through the season. Certain pieces of gear have nuances that you need to look at. Helmets are generally helmets in my opinion with exception of weight and ventilation. Pants can differ but for entry level stuff its not critical. Skates and gloves receive the most of my attention, then shin guards and helmet, then pants and shoulders.

Not sure what you have, but I would always suggest gloves/helmet/stick be purchased around the same time. You can do a lot with just the skates, but the second you pick up a stick you are going to need gloves. If you get to a place to actually play on your skates with said stick and gloves you generally need a helmet. Those are the basics and everything else such as pants, elbows and shins are only needed if you start actually playing drop in or instructional.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 16, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

soggybagel posted:

Where do you live and where in Southern California is this taking place? I've kind of ignored socal hockey chat but I'm moving back out to Los Angeles this January/February and I'd like to be able to play.

Gonna work at the outdoor ice rink in Santa Monica again?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well its probably already going on right now and ends in Feb/march. So no. Maybe help on the tear down.

Also the teams I've been on have never benched people for any reason. Even if they really sucked (me). What you do is not stack a whole line of the worst players but spread them out. Lets not kid ourselves either, we know who they are (especially if its us). That said, I've been on a team where we needed/wanted a win really bad so if its like a minute left I have no issue giving up a shift or two just to have our best guys out there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Try everything on first, that's my opinion. Then order online.

If you got skates I'd get a helmet next, then shins & pants.
Then you can go to public skates and practice starts and stops without hurting yourself too badly.

Then i'd go elbow pads and gloves.

Or if you're thinking you want to shoot the puck and have a shooting mat / net already, go get the gloves next and a stick so you can start dicking around puckhandling, etc.

Also IceWarehouse has some pretty good deals on starter kits. http://www.icewarehouse.com/PackageDeal.html?ccode=SRICEPACK . I got 2 new easton EQ30s for 60 each and they were delivered to my work address in 28 hours perfectly packed with free shipping. Cant wait to try them out and the process was super smooth.

Definitely try everything on first, but before you order online check and see if the hockey shop near you will match Internet prices. Hockey gear prices are negotiable and it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you are buying multiple items at once. A good shop will want to keep you as a customer, so they'll do what they can to make a deal work.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any Austin TX goons on a team, or know of any leagues/rinks in the area? I may be getting shipped down there for work for 3-6 months (:smith:) and would probably only do it if they actually have ice down there.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any Austin TX goons on a team, or know of any leagues/rinks in the area? I may be getting shipped down there for work for 3-6 months (:smith:) and would probably only do it if they actually have ice down there.

I've never been to Austin but it looks like there's at least two rinks: http://www.chaparralice.com/index.php

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Austin, TX is the best place I have ever played adult hockey, and I have made many life long friends through playing there. You should be so lucky to live there and play hockey.

Chaparral Ice is going through some changes (the I-35 location is closing) but they are working out leagues at other rinks. Hockey won't die, but it's definitely transitioning into a new thing.

Austin has also done a lot within adult hockey to develop new players -- mixed league games, upper level players serving as "coaches/mentors", hockey lite which is basically prepaid drop in at set skill levels, etc. Most other leagues just take your money. Austin's community works on drafting players into appropriate divisions and when I played there (6 years ago) they focused on getting teams balanced. They frowned on teams registering "as a team" but rather players getting to play with as many people in the league across different seasons as possible.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

On a whim decided that I'd go price some skates and get an idea of the fit. Ended up buying a pair. I'm going to take bonafide adult skating lessons in January, but still going to see if I can find a way to get out on the ice earlier.

I tried to do as much research as I can, and it seems like hockey in my area is either you grew up doing it or you didn't.

I checked the websites of the rinks in the area and the lowest division teams are C and I would be beginner or D. I even checked Hockey North America and it doesn't even look like they have summer/spring sessions- and no ultra-beginner teams either.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

I've never been to Austin but it looks like there's at least two rinks: http://www.chaparralice.com/index.php

Yeah that was the first one that came up when I googled it. Looked pretty decent, except 13 minute periods. It's about 30 mins away from where my girlfriend (she already got shipped down there already for a couple months) currently lives, so that's not too bad.

sellouts posted:

Austin, TX is the best place I have ever played adult hockey, and I have made many life long friends through playing there. You should be so lucky to live there and play hockey.

Chaparral Ice is going through some changes (the I-35 location is closing) but they are working out leagues at other rinks. Hockey won't die, but it's definitely transitioning into a new thing.

Austin has also done a lot within adult hockey to develop new players -- mixed league games, upper level players serving as "coaches/mentors", hockey lite which is basically prepaid drop in at set skill levels, etc. Most other leagues just take your money. Austin's community works on drafting players into appropriate divisions and when I played there (6 years ago) they focused on getting teams balanced. They frowned on teams registering "as a team" but rather players getting to play with as many people in the league across different seasons as possible.

What other rinks are they working with? What rink did you play at?

I've heard a lot of good things about Austin, which is the reason I'm considering it. Finding a hockey league/team and FedExing my dog (Topo just had a heart attack) are the only things I'm worried about.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They are working with the Northcross rink (under the Chaparral Ice brand) and the rink at Cedar Park where the Texas Stars play.

The way the season is working this year is that they front loaded the schedule while I-35 was open. So teams were playing 2 games a week to get them in before it closed. Now that it's closing they are still finding the balance with these 2 sheets of ice. I think they might end up having to cut some of the programs (hockey lite and the C- mentor league or whatever they're calling it) but the core is still rabid.

I played at I-35 when it was only one sheet. I rented out the second sheet once for a pick up game when I went back in town once and it was awesome. I also played at the expo center back when the Ice Bats played there before it was destroyed and there's nothing quite like changing in a double wide trailer and walking outside on rubber mats in 98 degree heat to get into the rink to play. That place is closed though.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 16, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
When you goons down in L.A. get good enough, you should come up to SJ and take on the SJ goons in a pickup game or something.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thanks, people that gave me advice. I can be patient and wait a week until I'm back in Pittsburgh for the holiday weekend and go shopping.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sash! posted:

If I buy something online, I usually order two different sizes and send back the one that doesn't fit. I did this with my RBK 5k pants on Hockeymonkey. It costs an extra $10 or so for shipping, but it can be worth it for big ticket items. Just check with them first to make sure it's kosher.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

2 vs however many you have in SJ sounds like a p. terrible pickup game!

If you dudes ever need an extra person for a tournament or something let me know. I have friends in SF/SJ that I should visit and a hockey trip would be a good excuse.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Loqieu posted:

benching stuff

I got benched on my old team in the D-league I'm in. For whatever reason when the league was formed, they decided to make each team have one extra guy (in addition to having three subs) so if the roster was full on a given night there would be some sharing of shifts. Most teams, when they had the full roster, would simply share the extra bench spot with the whole team throughout the game, so no one got really screwed over. Not mine though! I was designated as the "floater" and had to share time on a different line each period. This only happened twice during the regular season but it pretty much sealed my opinion on wanting to switch to another team.

When I was on that team we did get into the playoff game, where I think I played a grand total of 4-5 minutes (of course all the guys who'd been blowing off games left and right throughout the season showed up for that one so we had a full roster). I don't remember how exactly it worked but I was the floater for the first period, didn't play at all in the second, and was supposed to be the floater for the 3rd but we were tied at that point so of course all the "big guns" were pulling a two-shift cycle and the weakest forwards were sitting. In the end we wound up losing that game (and thus the championship) in a shootout but I wasn't too pissed with it because I was sick of that team anyway.

As it happened, the best defenseman on that team (and a buddy of mine outside of hockey) decided he'd had enough and volunteered to captain an expansion team when the league added two. Myself and another forward who'd gotten similarly benched on a few occasions joined him as well. My new team is far more fun to play with and NO ONE GETS BENCHED. Also the three of us who left that old team for the new one were the only ones with perfect or nearly-perfect attendance, and now my old team is lucky to have two forward lines on a good night. Aaand we're also beating them in the standing by a fair margin.

bytebark fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 17, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

2 vs however many you have in SJ sounds like a p. terrible pickup game!

If you dudes ever need an extra person for a tournament or something let me know. I have friends in SF/SJ that I should visit and a hockey trip would be a good excuse.

I'm in for Team SoCal Goon.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Tank44 posted:

We do the same too... One query for the group, what do you do in PK situations?
A> Play the best people in a PK unit
B> keep rotation where you continue to rotate players so nobody misses a shift (keeping 2 D & 2 F on at all times)
C> keep rotation by position so if a D get a penalty, you play 3 F & 1 D or if C gets the penalty, you play 2 W & 2D

Depends on our numbers and the situation. In a scrimmage/exhibition/beer league game where we're running 9 F and 4 D and a D gets a penalty we drop a defensive forward back to D until the penalty is up. If there's an imbalance somewhere (like we're running 2 C and 3 sets of W) we'll send out wing pairs if a D gets a penalty to rest the centers a bit. Basically just play with the numbers so the freshest players are out there without loving up the rotation too much.

In tournament games we have set PP and PK units. I will happily hand over my ice time for players who actually score non-garbage goals on PP but am a PK machine. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 17, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Lunch hockey is the best hockey! Played some 4-on-4 for about an hour today. What a great way to break up a workday. I wish I could do this more often, but the job just won't allow it. I need to find a job with a more flexible schedule...

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

D C posted:

I'm in for Team SoCal Goon.

D C is so good, he counts for 2 people vs. us SJ goons.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

trilljester posted:

D C is so good, he counts for 2 people vs. us SJ goons.

I'm fat and out of shape :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What part of SoCal are you in?

elemenohpee
Jun 18, 2005
Another Socal hockey goon reporting. Where do you guys play? I'm at East West Ice Palace in Artesia and occasionally Glacial Gardens in Lakewood.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My parents live in Chino Hills, I split time between there and Vancouver, I have a full set of gear in their garage :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
gently caress everything. Two weeks ago my bartender/buddy and I were chasing a thief from our pub. We made it down an alley and as I passed my pal he pushed me over thinking I was with the thief. Landed head first into a sign post.

Left the ER with a glued together forehead for a three inch or so gash down the middle. My left knee wouldn't budge the next day. I am missing my second game tonight because of it all and hope that there is nothing permanent done to my knee - doctor didn't seem to think there was.

Goddammit all. I never realized how bad I would feel for missing the games. For now I am getting beered up and cheering from the stands. I hope I make a full recovery.