Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Ok, so I'm running into a few problems since I'm coming fresh from MvC2.

I've been running Dante/Akuma/Sentinel since Tuesday, and I'm really having a bit of trouble getting into the team. I really am not feeling too much synergy with Dante, as opposed to Akuma/Sent, who feel ok. Is there a good point character for this team right now? I've been testing out a few in training mode (Iron Fist, Wesker) and none of them really seem to fit the team's assist that I've been running (B/A). Any suggestions on who I should try out?

Also, I need to get a fight stick. 360's 'D-pad' is abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thanks, guys. I had no idea they were emailing them now. I thought they were supposed to be included in the box.

Do you guys think Doom and Spencer would make a good team? Who would be a good 3rd?

Doom doesn't have a wallbounce, so he can use Armor Piercer in combos (though he certainly doesn't need it). Spencer is a great anchor, but he can be very effective in the second slot jetting around with Plasma Beam or Hidden Missile assist backing him up. Either is great in any role, but I play Spencer at 2 and Doom at 3.

For the third...I dunno, I've been thinking about this myself. I've been playing Wesker/Spencer/Doom lately, but Doom's Plasma Beam just doesn't work with Wesker resets. Because Spencer and Doom are probably going to be 2 and 3 on your team, you can pick guys with lovely assists and just let them play out the string on point. Like Iron Fist, maybe, or Chun-Li, or Crimson Viper?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gonna say real quick that most people refer to assists by their name, not their alpha/beta/gamma thing. Easier to know what's being talked about like that.

Anyway, what makes you think Wesker is a lacking point character? He's one of the best characters in the game just by himself and I imagine two good assist characters like Sent and Akuma would help him even more.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Poco posted:

Also, I need to get a fight stick. 360's 'D-pad' is abysmal.

As someone who things the xbox controller is absolute poo poo for fighting games the few minutes I've played in the training room of marvel the xbox pad works surprisingly better than I thought it would. I am able to do combos and generally make the characters do what I tell them to do, unlike when I've tried sf4 with the pad and I come within inches of curbstomping the controller. I have no idea why it works somewhat for me in this and not that.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Brother Entropy posted:

Gonna say real quick that most people refer to assists by their name, not their alpha/beta/gamma thing. Easier to know what's being talked about like that.

Anyway, what makes you think Wesker is a lacking point character? He's one of the best characters in the game just by himself and I imagine two good assist characters like Sent and Akuma would help him even more.

I don't really know. I really can't get into his playstyle, even though everything I've read indicates he is a really good character. I honestly don't think he's lacking. He's got great damage and is very quick, as well as having a fast OTG. I just don't have fun playing him for some reason.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Sentinel assist doesn't help Wesker because his teleport mixups are better-suited to faster beam projectiles.

May I suggest...Wolverine?

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Vengarr posted:

Sentinel assist doesn't help Wesker because his teleport mixups are better-suited to faster beam projectiles.

May I suggest...Wolverine?

I was told Wolverine lost a ton of viability in UMvC3 because Berserker Slash lost its invincibility. Has it affected him that much, or is he still able to rushdown?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Speaking of Wallbounces, does Frank have any combos that set his up, or do you need assists?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Speaking of Wallbounces, does Frank have any combos that set his up, or do you need assists?

Level four he can fit one in after his H and most of the screen l he can follow it up with a M and his slide, below that he can use it in the air, but I haven't found many follow ups beyond just S to launch them back down.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Poco posted:

I was told Wolverine lost a ton of viability in UMvC3 because Berserker Slash lost its invincibility. Has it affected him that much, or is he still able to rushdown?

He's not the superman he was before, but he still has his damage and some good mix-ups, and is piss-easy to play. Dante loves drones assist too, so that's another option.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Poco posted:

Wolverine still has a lot of power. He's just no longer scrubby top-tier.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Poco posted:

He's still good. He's just not one of the two best characters in the game good anymore.

Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma is what I used before, and I think the team should still be okay in this game.

Vengarr posted:

For the third...I dunno, I've been thinking about this myself. I've been playing Wesker/Spencer/Doom lately, but Doom's Plasma Beam just doesn't work with Wesker resets. Because Spencer and Doom are probably going to be 2 and 3 on your team, you can pick guys with lovely assists and just let them play out the string on point. Like Iron Fist, maybe, or Chun-Li, or Crimson Viper?
What problems are you having with Doom's beam assist? It comes out slow, but I was able to get it to hit after an OTG gun shot after adjusting to the timing (hit Doom assist button well before the gunshot) when trying it out yesterday.

And imo for that team it would be better to start Spencer, but I have also been making a team with Wesker in the second spot so that I can DHC into his super and have him out there with two assists+no-glasses powerup. Spencer diagonal grapple (sets up ground resets after Wesker OTG, plus I use Wesker's wall bounce moves)/Wesker gunshot (helps with Spencer high-low setups or combos)/Doom beam is one of the ideas I had.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
What am I doing wrong on Rocket Raccoon's mission 6? This seems like wayy too tight of timing for such a basic combo.

edit- I beat every mission (-2) in mvc3 but umvc3's seem way tougher.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 18, 2011

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

The KoRn Identity posted:

spencer and doctor doom are two bad characters with nothing to offer a team.

Look at this. Look at how wrong you are. Look at it until your eyes burn.

Spencer and Doom got nothing but buffs when they were solid to amazing (Combofiend :allears:) anchor characters with useful assists in Vanilla.

And Wolvie's still solid and pretty easy to play; Noel still uses him with Frank assist instead of Akuma.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That man was obviously not being sarcastic in the least

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

iPodschun posted:

He's still good. He's just not one of the two best characters in the game good anymore.

Wolverine/Sentinel/Akuma is what I used before, and I think the team should still be okay in this game.
What problems are you having with Doom's beam assist? It comes out slow, but I was able to get it to hit after an OTG gun shot after adjusting to the timing (hit Doom assist button well before the gunshot) when trying it out yesterday.

And imo for that team it would be better to start Spencer, but I have also been making a team with Wesker in the second spot so that I can DHC into his super and have him out there with two assists+no-glasses powerup. Spencer diagonal grapple (sets up ground resets after Wesker OTG, plus I use Wesker's wall bounce moves)/Wesker gunshot (helps with Spencer high-low setups or combos)/Doom beam is one of the ideas I had.

Getting plasma beam to hit isn't the problem, it's just that they flip out at the wrong angle for his best mixups. With Iron Man you can hit them such that they flip out at precisely the right place for throw/air loop/1-frame grab shenanigans.

I just let everyone run until they're dead, no switching or dhc's. Just end the first combo you do with a THC to get the glasses off (that team has an awesome THC btw) and then let it rock.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Wolverine is still really really good, it's just not quite as easy to get in on people with him as it was before. He's a rushdown monster, still, but he's not totally braindead to play which is how wolverine should be imo.

Actually, air x-factor might have made wolverine's damage even better than in vanilla.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

40 OZ posted:

What am I doing wrong on Rocket Raccoon's mission 6? This seems like wayy too tight of timing for such a basic combo.

edit- I beat every mission (-2) in mvc3 but umvc3's seem way tougher.

the second spitfire M is just a double button press, maybe?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus I was surprised to see Combofiend switching to Ghost Rider at the end of WNF, then was amazed to see how much drat zoning potential he has. Even Wesker with his teleports was getting screwed.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

nftyw posted:

Jesus I was surprised to see Combofiend switching to Ghost Rider at the end of WNF, then was amazed to see how much drat zoning potential he has. Even Wesker with his teleports was getting screwed.

Speaking of Combo, he's supposedly going to stream "later today," but I've been in his channel for about 4 hours and he hasn't started yet.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Keen for practice! XBLA gamertag is FauxCyclops.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Holy gently caress trying to get the most damage out of Haggar's Level 3 takes like, a level of 360 mashing I haven't seen since Mario Party 1.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

nftyw posted:

Link to the archive please?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I liked when vanilla MvC3 came out and you could feel everyone learning the ropes at the same time (see: anti-Sentinel maneuvers), but now all of the "beginners" I fight are seasoned players from the vanilla days pulling 15-second combos.

I want to get better, but Ranked needs to sort the pros out of my matchups already. Save the reality check for when I hit Fighter, like the good old days... earlier this year.

Nick n' Nemesis are my favorites of the new cast. Order and chaos!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
God I hate learning new teams. No matter how perfectly I do the combos in training mode, as soon as I start an online match I just spazz out and start mashing buttons.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
Give yourself a break. Make sure you hit the training room whenever you turn the game on so it stays in your muscle memory.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Vengarr posted:

God I hate learning new teams. No matter how perfectly I do the combos in training mode, as soon as I start an online match I just spazz out and start mashing buttons.

Try playing a few matches on pure defense. It'll give you time to warm up and calm your nerves as well as help improve your defense.

Better players will clue into this and go to town on you with just crazy mixup as well, so be prepared to see crazyness.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I want to get better, but Ranked needs to sort the pros out of my matchups already.
The game has been out for two days.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
http://www.twitch.tv/comboratorylive

Combofiend's got some familiar friends on stream with UMVC for a while.

yo mamma a Horus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 18, 2011

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

Speaking of Combo, he's supposedly going to stream "later today," but I've been in his channel for about 4 hours and he hasn't started yet.

It's up now. http://www.twitch.tv/comboratorylive

Edit: goddammit, anyway it's Yipes and Clockwork

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Is the microphone inside of a refrigerator?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dodgeball posted:

Is the microphone inside of a refrigerator?

Of course, they gotta be ready in case Marn wants to get on the mic

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Niddhogg posted:

Link to the archive please?

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300215444

That's what I was watching.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Are Yipes and Clockwork like the Marvel/East Coast version of Gootecks and Mike Ross now?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Machine posted:

The game has been out for two days.

Yeah I jumped onto a lobby match and I saw these dudes with the Beginner tag so I was like "all right I can practice my scrubby skills against other scrubs!" cue my turn, and I am instantly obliterated and get taunted at the end.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you don't taunt every time you win a ranked match online then I just don't know what to say to you.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Countblanc posted:

If you don't taunt every time you win a ranked match online then I just don't know what to say to you.

I know what to say to you: Get a life scrub. Oh and stay free too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Acceptable alternatives include tea-bagging and using a really long super.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Countblanc posted:

Spider-man's is best for this.

"Looooooser!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Countblanc posted:

Acceptable alternatives include tea-bagging and using a really long super.

Personally, I like to initiate fly at the last possible moment, and just let it fizzle out. I'm so much better (profoundly insecure) than that 9 year old child I just bodied, that I need to show him who's boss by adding insult to injury.

• Locked thread