Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

If you don't taunt every time you win a ranked match online then I just don't know what to say to you.

but it wasn't a ranked match, it was just a lobby :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Countblanc posted:

Acceptable alternatives include tea-bagging and using a really long super.

Haggar's level 3 is great for this, "IT'S ALL OVER"

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
"Strange is the most fraudulent character in the game"

-Freyedun, in a natural state of saltiness.

Doctor Strange owns!!!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Niddhogg posted:

Doctor Strange owns!!!

Emptyquoting this! Dude has the best teleport and the best level 1s and the best set of projectiles in the whole game. The doctor is in, bitches !

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Edit; Whoops, wrong thread. Anyway, I will replace the previous message with my though that fighting game streams with camera often look like two dudes jackin it.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Sade posted:

Emptyquoting this! Dude has the best teleport and the best level 1s and the best set of projectiles in the whole game. The doctor is in, bitches !

Dr. Strange must be a proctologist, 'cause he's all up in dat rear end.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

That Which Squeaks posted:

Edit; Whoops, wrong thread. Anyway, I will replace the previous message with my though that fighting game streams with camera often look like two dudes jackin it.

We here at the Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: gently caress Megaman thread respect and appreciate your input.

TEBOW

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
As long as we're on the subject, how important would you say it is for Strange to set up Graces of Hanna? Should I look for places whenever possible or just pop some up when the opponent's KO'd or something?

Besides using a red one for OTG in the corner, of course.

Also, Dr. Strange and Hawkeye should form a team of people with instant golden supers that kick everyone's rear end. Can't think of a third, though.

That Which Squeaks posted:

careful with that stick

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Trying to think who of the new characters would make a good frontman for my existing team of ????/MODOK/Wesker. I'm liking Firebrand but any suggestions are welcome!

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Poco posted:

Ok, so I'm running into a few problems since I'm coming fresh from MvC2.

I've been running Dante/Akuma/Sentinel since Tuesday, and I'm really having a bit of trouble getting into the team. I really am not feeling too much synergy with Dante, as opposed to Akuma/Sent, who feel ok. Is there a good point character for this team right now? I've been testing out a few in training mode (Iron Fist, Wesker) and none of them really seem to fit the team's assist that I've been running (B/A). Any suggestions on who I should try out?

Also, I need to get a fight stick. 360's 'D-pad' is abysmal.

About how good are you at MvC2? What's your team in 2?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Groghammer posted:

As long as we're on the subject, how important would you say it is for Strange to set up Graces of Hanna? Should I look for places whenever possible or just pop some up when the opponent's KO'd or something?

Besides using a red one for OTG in the corner, of course.

You can set up two glyphs for later mixups by doing LM impact palm xx glyph, glyph, HS at the beginning of your combos. Besides that, I mostly just super jump and place a couple after I kill a character.

Groghammer posted:

Also, Dr. Strange and Hawkeye should form a team of people with instant golden supers that kick everyone's rear end. Can't think of a third, though.

careful with that stick

Spencer, duh! Strange/Spencer/Hawkeye actually wouldn't be that bad.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Niddhogg posted:

"Strange is the most fraudulent character in the game"

-Freyedun, in a natural state of saltiness.

Doctor Strange owns!!!

I beat you more times using him for the first time I had ever picked him than you beat me using him during that set.

That's how brainless he is.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Training mode is still a lot of fun in this game. I was testing out Ghost Rider with Deadpool's Quick Work assist since it lets him combo after his j.S and c.H. I'm glad Amazon shipped my copy of the strategy guide today instead of December!

Disease
Oct 6, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Yeah I jumped onto a lobby match and I saw these dudes with the Beginner tag so I was like "all right I can practice my scrubby skills against other scrubs!" cue my turn, and I am instantly obliterated and get taunted at the end.

I honestly feel bad for anyone just getting into series with this game and tries to go online. I was alright at vanilla and had win % around 60-70 in both ps3 and 360 with some pretty poo poo teams. I'm trying everything I can do stay at 60% in umvc3 right now. So many people are using their vanilla teams, or poo poo like ghostrider/dorm/sent which like wolverine in vanilla has an extremely low execution barrier. I think in about 50 online matches I'd say Wesker shows up almost half the time. I'm not complaining for myself as much saying anyone new to this series may have a hard time actually having fun online.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Does Energy Javelin have any different effects or increased power depending on the strength of the attack button you use?

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

About how good are you at MvC2? What's your team in 2?

Well, for fun I played Hayato/Jin/Sentinnel. I really enjoyed the rushdown/high pressure aspect of the team. If I was able to corner someone, constant pressure from Jin's Saotome Typhoon and Hayato's special moves made it fun. To be honest, Jin was probably my favorite character on that team.

If I was playing in a more serious setting, I'd play Storm/Jin/Sent. I got to be pretty good with Storm.

As you can see, I really liked to play as Jin (he better not be slain gently caress you capcom).

In terms of how good I was, I was decent enough to win the tournament at my very small, Tekken-loving (there were a few guys who played MvC2 till MvC3 came out) college for the past two years. I ended up pretty decent at controlling screen space, and I even perfect perfected a few guys who were supposedly good. I guess I might be above average maybe?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Hey guys help me. I forgot that I sucked at MvC3 and stopped playing it. That happened long ago enough that I thought buying UMvC3 would be a good idea.

Now a Frank jumps me in the corner, knocks me around, slams me down, clubs me up again, MMHS again, picture+Dommaru black hole's me back up again, hits me a few times, then shopping cart hypers me.

I guess what I'm asking is: why does it look like the pros are playing a different game than I am? I take a hit which leads into a long, long combo, while it seems that they trade smaller volleys much more often. Am I just bad at defense? I guess I do forget to pushblock a lot...

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
You are bad at defense and offense. You will be for a very long time. Get into training mode, practice your combos to improve your offense. Setting CPU to Very Hard and just trying to not get blown up is a good primer on defense.

Are you a Street Fighter player?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Frank is supposed to get really long combos, though, so don't feel too bad about it.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Skychrono posted:

Hey guys help me. I forgot that I sucked at MvC3 and stopped playing it. That happened long ago enough that I thought buying UMvC3 would be a good idea.

Now a Frank jumps me in the corner, knocks me around, slams me down, clubs me up again, MMHS again, picture+Dommaru black hole's me back up again, hits me a few times, then shopping cart hypers me.

I guess what I'm asking is: why does it look like the pros are playing a different game than I am? I take a hit which leads into a long, long combo, while it seems that they trade smaller volleys much more often. Am I just bad at defense? I guess I do forget to pushblock a lot...
I never played MvC3 and just got UMvC3, and my online experience is a lot like yours. Except that I keep dropping my combos from lag and the other guy never drops his combo ever :argh:

But I guess my point is also that I'm bad at defense and offense. And calling assists.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Noob Kwestion Korner: What's the purpose of Dr. Strange's hyper move where he summons that blue energy around him?

Also, how do you burn Nova's red health to power up his attacks?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Noob Kwestion Korner: What's the purpose of Dr. Strange's hyper move where he summons that blue energy around him?

His rings are a projectile counter, it'll spit a beam if he's hit by anything considered a projectile (you can hyper phoenix wrights launch for hilarity). Nova will automatically burn his red life when you use certain attacks, I honestly never use his beam hyper because of it.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

1. That's a projectile counter. You need to get hit by a projectile in order for Dr. Strange to counter.

2. Nova burns red health automatically while using some of his attacks.

Edit: owned as well. nice unblockable

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

That Dr. Strange hyper is a projectile counter. If someone hits you with a projectile while it's active you'll beam them.

Certain nova attacks automatically drain your red life to do damage. That aegis reflector looking move and his beam super, for example.

E: I got owned.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Daggers of Denak M/H + Teleport M is the easiest poo poo ever. Strange has already replaced Dormammu on my keepaway team. If I wrote the guide, it would look something like this:

Call Gold-Armor Senpu-Bu assist.

Did it hit? Y/N

if Y: full combo

if N: While in blockstun, Eye of Agamotto+Chris Open Fire assist, Impact Palm, Daggers of Denak, Teleport M.

Did they block it? Y/N

if Y: Call Senpu-Bu assist, repeat until dead

if N: full combo

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Somewhat related: Don't do Eye of Agamatto against Vergil, Vergil does not care. Bring it out I'll slash it away, I've had people just try and spam this and it's hilarious.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Skychrono posted:

Hey guys help me.

Basically everyone is bad at defense, compared to a street fighter game. Blocking is a temporary solution in these games, it is just impossible to defend a decent player for very long in most situations.

For the most part, mobility is the way to "defend" in this game. But it is usually just "omg get the hell out of here while X-factor is running" rather than a street fighter game where Zangief would love for someone to rush him down. You don't have the threat of reversal DP into FADC ultra or poo poo like that.

Buy the strategy guide first. You know that you can do those long rear end combos too, if you practice and don't pick a high execution character.

Generally, the basic marvel gameplan is

1. Find a good method for landing an unblocked hit that can be confirmed into a big combo.
2. Land your combo that you have been practicing. You don't have to go with the craziest ones, just something that hits hard that you can land reliably.
3. You are winning at Marvel.

#1 is the hardest part. You need to experiment, but in the most basic form, you call an assist and then run in there and try to start a combo with a low attack or a high attack.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 18, 2011

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Poco posted:

Well, for fun I played Hayato/Jin/Sentinnel. I really enjoyed the rushdown/high pressure aspect of the team. If I was able to corner someone, constant pressure from Jin's Saotome Typhoon and Hayato's special moves made it fun. To be honest, Jin was probably my favorite character on that team.

If I was playing in a more serious setting, I'd play Storm/Jin/Sent. I got to be pretty good with Storm.

As you can see, I really liked to play as Jin (he better not be slain gently caress you capcom).

In terms of how good I was, I was decent enough to win the tournament at my very small, Tekken-loving (there were a few guys who played MvC2 till MvC3 came out) college for the past two years. I ended up pretty decent at controlling screen space, and I even perfect perfected a few guys who were supposedly good. I guess I might be above average maybe?

Try Storm/Frank West/Dr. Doom.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Oh my god there are not enough dicks in the world for Vergil to go suck.

*plays Wesker*

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Corduroy posted:

Does Energy Javelin have any different effects or increased power depending on the strength of the attack button you use?

I think that some of the Energy Javelins have a bounce effect while other ones do not. I haven't really played around with them enough to make a final say, it may change based on distance too since I sword I say an energy javelin that dropped straight down instead of at an angle. You may need to do some testing with the enemy on infinite superjumping to check if it has any effect on the arc or max height of the things.

e: Yeah overall being able to perform simple combos is a starting block, once you get comfortable with air combos you may want to experiment with stuff like wall bouncing or off the ground attacks to do more combo hits, but for someone new to any fighting game you will get much more fun out of it if you get a headset and cruise with people who are cool and are willing to help you practice until you get the feel of things.

Sentinel was played a lot for a this reason; a lot of his options were extremely simple for very high damage (launch, air combo, smack to the ground then rocket punch xx HSF), and his huge range also made it easy to randomly punish a mistake or whiffed attack. Also see: Wolverine.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 18, 2011

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

With an opponent in the corner and ghost rider at just shy of a full zoomed in screen away, you can do ghost rider combo into 214M or H. Call nova assist (this hits overhead), wait just a tick, and then do 2h, which hits low. This can be comboed off of with proper timing, right into this set up again.

It's not the hardest to block unblockable ever, but like, it's still going to just blend people that let you get them in it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Rocket is gonna be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW6NMFvrWvU

Also, I love how everybody has their own little personal tidbit of Nova tech.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

40 OZ posted:

Helpful things.

Thanks 40 OZ and other helpful guys. As you guessed, I'm a SF4 player primarily, so the adjustment here is pretty large. And, yeah, I'm frustrated, but that feeling will go away in time I'm sure. Thanks for the advice!

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
My crowning achievement in Nova play tonight was doing a Centurion Arc over a Disruptor. I don't think I can ever duplicate it again.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I like my Frank team but it's basically impossible to get any practice with it online because Frank depends on landing long combos and good luck doing that with any consistency at all online even on a 5 bar connection! I'm also probably going to drop Chun for Dormammu because his assist can be used in a level build combo the exact same way and is better all-purpose, plus I at least have a bit of an idea what the hell I'm doing with Dormammu on point, unlike Chun where I just sort of jump around like a retard and spam airdashes and hope for the best.

So I'm probably going to make like everyone else and pick up a keepaway team to use online. Right now I'm thinking something like Ghost Rider/Strange/Hawkeye.

e: I might do Combofiend's troll team too, Ghost Rider/Sentinel/Hawkeye looked pretty good.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 18, 2011

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I like Nemesis and all, but dear lord fighting Rocket, Arthur, V.Joe and Ammy is just a loving drag man.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Point Mayor is so fun to play. I wish H&H was out so I could run Haggs Haggs Haggs.

Speaking of which, there's no reason to think that mode might be in peril, right? At the end of the day I only trust Capcom to be :Capcom:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I like Nemesis and all, but dear lord fighting Rocket, Arthur, V.Joe and Ammy is just a loving drag man.

I hate fighting Ammy so much :(

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Skychrono posted:

Thanks 40 OZ and other helpful guys. As you guessed, I'm a SF4 player primarily, so the adjustment here is pretty large. And, yeah, I'm frustrated, but that feeling will go away in time I'm sure. Thanks for the advice!

SF is a tactical fighter, MvC is a strategy fighter.

What I'm saying is you have to mash harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

My new nova Bnb.

(jH) M/2M H/2H S jH j214L jH M H S jH j214L jH j236L or M j623pp mash.

No red life spent, standing attacks, jH starter this does 774,800 damage, full mash.

The standing M is harder to hit against really big characters but not impossible. Against smaller character you need to delay the jH after your second launcher. This should work anywhere.

Use your red life on this, or putting up gravametric pulse barriers, don't bother using it for the beam super unless you're doing a punish or burning it in a THC or DHC.

• Locked thread