Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Grace for Drowning is brilliant. As for Porcupine Tree, In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet are generally considered to be the best among their more recent stuff (they weren't especially "prog" before that). Personally, I'd recommend their live album Arriving Somewhere, which combines a lot of material from Absentia and Deadwing with some older stuff and a few great b-sides.

But yeah, if you don't like him, you don't like him. I've had a few friends who couldn't get into his stuff despite liking the music because of his voice. It's a preference thing, same as Geddy Lee or whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Personally I think Deadwing is the best PT album, so try finding it online and give it a listen. They have gone through 'phases' though.

^^^^ or yeah that advice

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Orbital Sapling posted:

What should I listen to of Steven Wilson's? I've tried listening to some of his solo stuff, a few Porcupine Tree songs, and I can't seem to get into any of it. I need some direction here.

edit: gently caress it, I don't want to like Steven Wilson. The man reminds me too much of some sort of wispy butterfly.
Listen to Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways and both of his solo albums, they're great. The rest of his output is pretty hit-and-miss for real prog-heads. If you're into the more metal approach, Deadwing is great. I don't like their recent stuff as much as I did a few years ago.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Orbital Sapling posted:

In the same vein, Goblin has some cool stuff. I actually discovered these dudes while watching the original Dawn of the Dead, the music impressed me so much I actually went out of my way to see who did the music. I never do that.

Have you seen Phenomena (Jennifer Connelly's first movie)? Goblin did some of the soundtrack for it and, for me, is what helps makes the movie.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Misogynist posted:

Listen to Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways and both of his solo albums, they're great. The rest of his output is pretty hit-and-miss for real prog-heads. If you're into the more metal approach, Deadwing is great. I don't like their recent stuff as much as I did a few years ago.

It's been interesting watching them evolve. I see Gavin becoming more and more important in the music, for example. Plus you see the effect of his collaborations with Fripp and the assorted members of King Crimson's rhythm section - Pat, Tony and Trey, in PT and in the solo work.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Orbital Sapling posted:

What should I listen to of Steven Wilson's? I've tried listening to some of his solo stuff, a few Porcupine Tree songs, and I can't seem to get into any of it. I need some direction here.

edit: gently caress it, I don't want to like Steven Wilson. The man reminds me too much of some sort of wispy butterfly.

Here is the correct method of discovering Porcupine Tree:

Start by listening to In Absentia.

If you like the heavier metalish stuff, work forwards with Deadwing, then Fear of a Blank Planet.

If you like the softer atmospheric stuff, work backwards with Lightbulb Sun, then Stupid Dream.

I didn't really care for SW's first solo album, Insurgentes, but I haven't heard Grace for Drowning yet.

Really looking forward to the Steven Wilson/Mikael Akerfeldt collaboration, Storm Corrosion!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I realise this might be falling on deaf ears because you don't really want to get into Steven Wilson, but I was going to make a thread about him and this is as good a place as ever to get this out of the way, and someone might want to get into PT, so:

Steven Wilson

Grace For Drowning is probably my favourite album of the year so far. It's so drat good. It channels many classic prog rock influences (and a bit of Steely Dan in places), but makes it into something new, something of his own. Every single track is solid, it just works really well all in all. (Deform To Form A Star, from Grace For Drowning)

Insurgentes, which came before Grace For Drowning, is also pretty good, but it's a bit different. Much more influenced by shoegaze and drone music, but that's not a bad thing, just makes it quite different from his PT work. (Harmony Korine, the opening track to Insurgentes)

Porcupine Tree

As Rust Martialis said, they've definitely gone through different phases in their music: their early, psychedelic phase (the early cassette recordings and On The Sunday Of Life up to Signify), their middle, alternative prog sounding era (Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun), and their current, more prog metal influenced phase (In Absentia up to The Incident).

I suggest to start with their album In Absentia for what I'd say is the band's best work in their modern phase, but if you want to try any of their other phases this is the order I'd suggest for all of them (with songs from the albums underneath):

Early, psychedelic phase: The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify, Voyage 34, Up The Downstair, On The Sunday Of Life.
(The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 1, from The Sky Moves Sideways, Waiting Phase One, from Signify, Voyage 34 (Phases I-IV), Burning Sky, from Up The Downstair, Radioactive Toy, from On The Sunday Of Life)

Middle alt-prog phase: Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun can be listened to in either order, now that I think about it. They're both just as good as each other, Stupid Dream I find has more catchy tunes though, and Lightbulb Sun is a wee bit more dour. Either way.
(Even Less, from Stupid Dream, Shesmovedon, from Lightbulb Sun)

More recent prog metal phase: In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, The Incident. (This was the order I first tried them in before listening to The Sky Moves Sideways, and it definitely worksd, because Fear of a Blank Planet is much less accessible, and if you start with In Absentia and Deadwing it kind of introduces you a bit more to PT's more recent sound, which is a bit rougher on FOABP. Anyway.)
(Blackest Eyes, the opening track to In Absentia, Halo, from Deadwing, Anesthetize, from Fear of a Blank Planet, Flicker, from The Incident)

They're well worth checking out if you're into any sort of prog rock anyway. On The Sunday Of Life and The Incident are probably my least favourite by them, though they both have some excellent tunes on there.

Other projects

So Steven Wilson has made some other music with other bands and solo projects and all that, and I'll briefly describe a few of them here. I'm not as familiar with them as I am his solo work and PT, but I'll try.

No-Man: More of a jazzy pop band than PT (though that description doesn't really do it justice, quite a bit of electronics round about). Steven Wilson's first project, where he plays most of the the instruments and his friend Tim Bowness sings. I quite enjoy his vocals actually, they add quite a lot to the music. Worth listening to even if you don't like PT. (Carolina Skeletons, from Returning Jesus)
Blackfield: Alternative rock-type band with Israeli songwriter Aviv Geffen. Quite melancholy in places. (Cloudy Now, from their self-titled album)
I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindfuck): Instrumental psychedelic rock influenced by Neu! and Faust and suchlike. I don't really know much about it, can't really give an example.
Bass Communion: Instrumental ambient drone project. Again, I don't really know that much about it and can't really give an example, I apologise.

So that's that. I apologise if I've said something wrong or inaccurate or anything like that, just want to help people get into one of my favourite bands. It just felt appropriate to post this with the Steven Wilson chat above.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 9, 2011

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Orbital Sapling posted:

In the same vein, Goblin has some cool stuff. I actually discovered these dudes while watching the original Dawn of the Dead, the music impressed me so much I actually went out of my way to see who did the music. I never do that.

You need to watch some Dario Argento movies from the 70s and early 80s. Goblin did most of the music for those.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Justice also sampled from Goblin for "Phantom", which is a pretty awesome track.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010
I'm usually not that open to the more modern prog artists, and that's probably because I'm just stubborn, but I just started listening to Beardfish, and I must admit, I'm into their sound. They've got a good capacity for humor, their instrumentals are really tight, and they know how to channel that 70's prog sound when they want to. Here are a few examples that I've been jamming to recently:

Where the Rain Comes In: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1yWF64IWI

Ask Someone Who Knows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsl5jmPPuew&feature=related

Year of the Knife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3PMIJNZi9E&feature=related

South of the Border (this is one of their more humor-oriented songs, and it's a bit Zappa-esque): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d552_v06xw

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Saw Steven Wilson last night @ Opera House in Toronto ON. He played songs from his two solo albums, 'Insurgentes' and 'Grace for Drowning'.

I phoned the venue and was told 'movie starts at 8, band at 8:45'. Didn't know what the "movie" was so I figured some Lasse Hoile presentation was involved. Hustled to get there in time. Found out it was about a 50 minute-long series of what looked like still pictures set to what sounded like Fripp's 'Atmospherics'-type guitars on infinite sustain with a drum track added. See five minutes of that and you're as well versed in the medium as me who saw 50+...

Toronto Setlist

The concert started very well, energy lower than a PT concert as the fans didn't really know the songs well, but the energy built rapidly with 'Sectarian' and I felt climaxed with Harmony Korine. After that I felt the band lost some focus, oddly. The Mastelotto-played-and-produced 'No Part of Me' was a pickup again, and they ended with the 22-minute 'Raider II' which had the audience confused, with one dogged member clapping 9 minutes before the end of the song in a quiet part. (I timed it.) Encore was good, energetic. There were a couple songs in the second half that the keyboard/guitar drowned out the bass/drum section, which I found odd. More used to PT where Gavin's drumming finds gaps in the music to announce itself at times. Wes was a lot more subdued on this tour than with PT, I admit I found it hard to pick out his work a lot.

Still, some good songs, and some filler, another album or two and he will have a much more broad base of songs from which to select. Marco came out to meet people before they tossed the non-friends-and-family from the venue. Didn't stick to get my SW cover singles box signed.

Overall, a good, mostly solid concert, decent audience for Toronto where they tend to be a bit lifeless, Opera House was crowded full house.

The ran out of M or L shirts *fast*, and only had the 'scrawl' tour shirt... pass.

Concert made me realize how much time he's spent listening and producing the remasters of King Crimson. The influence on Grace for Drowning is unmistakable, plus a quick look at the credits 3 current/former members of KC playing on the album (Gunn, Levin, Mastelotto). Other KC-related musicians on the album: Marcus Reuter is a friend of P@ and is playing in 'Stick Men' with him and Levin currently. Jordan Rudess, Steve Hackett also. [Holy Progfest. SW knows everyone.]

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 17, 2011

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
The music from the movie was the new Bass Communion album Cenotaph.

I watched the show from the balcony so I can't really comment on the crowd's energy as I could only see the people near me and they were all middle-aged. One woman spent most of the show with her fingers in her ears and swaying, I couldn't tell if she hated it or enjoyed it but just thought it was far too loud. I thought the sound mix was mostly really good from where I was, I could usually hear everything really clearly though the guitars were maybe a bit too high and I could have standed to hear Theo Travis a little louder.

I really, really enjoyed the show. I tend to go to metal shows so I'm used to being up front in a mosh pit and it was really nice to just relax and immerse myself in the music. Just watching everyone play (especially Marco) was a real treat.

Katina
May 3, 2009
I'd definitely welcome a thread on Steven Wilson; I was thinking about starting a PT thread and I am just insanely passionate about everything he's ever done, even the stuff that he himself doesn't like any more. He's also done a series of Cover Version cds, with a cover version and an original track on each CD, and I think the original tracks are somewhat spiritual precursors to Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning (which I love); here's "And End To End" which has to be one of my favourite Wilson tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNBhYeiczhU

I saw GfD live in London but unfortunately arrived a little late and was right on the top of the balcony so I missed the Bass Communion intro and couldn't really see anything apart from Aziz' lazer fingers. You guys in the US/Canada missed out on a great guitarist because he couldn't get his visa due to administrative screwups, though Wes has done a great job getting to grips with such complex material in such a short space of time.

Funny that you should mention people initially having problems with Wilson's voice; the first time I ever heard PT was in a kind of "this band is better than your favourite band" situation so I immediately took a dislike to it; a few months later and I couldn't get enough of it.

Katina fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 18, 2011

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Rollersnake posted:

George Starostin

Jesus, I read some of his King Crimson reviews and I'm pretty sure this is some elaborate troll. He doesn't even know what he's talking about half the time and can't even describe the music because "he's not a musician", so instead he just makes assumptions and refers to everything as a "jam".

Here's the Red review with some choice pearls bolded:

quote:

Even less tunes on this one - it boasts but five tracks. Less members, too - Cross quit in the middle of the sections with the band carrying on as a trio (they even have their portraits on the front cover, quite an unusual treat for a King Crimson album; in fact, quite an unusual treat for any prog band album). But certainly better in quality than SABB and maybe even better than LTIA; at least, this is inarguably the most easily accessible and immediately likeable record of the band's entire "prog-metal" period. I thought primarily that this was the result of a somewhat more careful and attentive approach to songwriting, but turns out that I was wrong: parts of it were recorded live just as well as parts of SABB. Well, guess some things just can't be solved easily, can they? Anyway, live or not, this album is more listenable than its predecessor because it is mostly music, not just pointless and uninspired jamming. It's also tremendously heavy, maybe the heaviest album the band ever did, and that provides a level of energy that was often missing earlier when you needed it so badly. Of course, heaviness is not a virtue by itself - you have to think of good riffs and clever production, and that's on here, too.

The first side on here is pretty much spotless, aside from a couple overlong solos, but you just have to get used to these things when you're dealing with King Crimson. The title track is a great rifffest: beginning with a captivating ascending guitar line, it is soon metamorphosed into a convincing heavy melody that is, while not fast enough to get the laurel wreath of 'Great Deceiver', nothing short of genius. Kurt Cobain would be proud of that fat guitar/bass interplay, that's for sure. Then there's 'Fallen Angel', yet another Moody Blues-ish ballad sung quite convincingly by Wetton. In the hands of Justin Hayward this song might have been turned into a medieval-stylicised, romantic chef-d'aeuvre; here it just feels good and kinda awkward, but it works all the same. Also, Wetton's vocals are suspiciously reminiscent of Lake's (I guess he should have had no trouble with singing 'Schizoid Man' on stage even without the distorted vocals), and this gives the song a certain ELP feel, so maybe that's why I like it (I mean, it gives it the Lake feel, not the Emerson feel). It does take some time to enjoy the overlong jam session in the middle, and the song could have been far more great and hard-hitting in a shorter, abbreviated version; but eventually, its grim, spooky noodling grows on you, creating stately gothic moods the likes of which you could previously only find in obscure Krautrock compositions. Finally, 'One More Red Nightmare' is one more classic, based on another, though this time a bit more lackluster, heavy riff, but what gives me the shivers about the song is the way Wetton sings the lyrics: his usual 'careless', a trifle intentionally off-key vocals, quite often irritating otherwise, make the tune totally! It's about fear of flying, as far as I can see, and the rushed, speeded, stuttering vocals, together with the refrain 'one more red nightmaaaare!', really give the impression of a paranoid fear of something. I get so excited that I don't even notice the usual solo wanking all over the place.

Unfortunately, the second side starts on a really low note (the one that costs the album one rating point - sorry Red lovers), the usual trademark of 'bad Crimson': 'Providence' is the same kind of atonal, messy jam that 'Fracture' was on the last record and even worse. Recorded with Cross still at the violin, it mostly features bits and pieces of drums and bass recorded over this stupid "violing" that seems to drag and drag on forever - just more dated experimentation. A bad idea that reduces the album to much less than forty minutes of listenable music. Oh well, at least we have 'Starless'. You might think it's horrendous just by looking at the running time - 12:18. Don't worry, it isn't. A rare case when a lengthy King Crimson jam is endurable in all of its lengthiness. Apparently an outtake from the previous album (although it really is hard to talk in terms of outtakes when we deal with constant mixtures of new studio tracks and live improvisations), it should have appeared there instead of the far inferior 'Starless And Bible Black'. A dark, bitter tune, it's probably the closest they ever got to replicating the bliss of 'Epitaph' (Fripp even uses the same guitar pedal he used on the intro to 'Epitaph'). There are tons of beautiful, emotional guitar lines, Wetton's singing has never been better, and the lengthy solo passage is breathtaking. It seems that Fripp keeps repeating the same note on his guitar over and over, but he manages to build up the tension so well that I'm left almost stunned - just because of the very nature of this paradox: this is maybe the simplest musical idea that Bob has ever put to life and it works so much better than tons of far more complicated ones. Actually, the whole album, except for that wretched 'Providence', is simpler and more 'available' than the previous two, and it shows that even if the Frippergang's main purpose was to experiment with song structure, chord progressions and bizarre instrumentation in the wildest mode possible, they hadn't still gone as far as to forget the basics of songwriting business entirely. Red, more so than any album since In The Court Of The Crimson King, demonstrates that they still knew how to make great simple tunes and that King Crimson was still a band making music, not just weird, psychic (psychic, not psychedelic) background noises for one-day consumption. Would they take notice of their 'reincarnation', you think?

Unfortunately not. Fripp disbanded the band shortly after, saying they'd turned into dinosaurs and their place was in the trash bin - more than two years before the punks reminded all the others of the same. Silly thing, really - if he'd disbanded the band after Starless, I'd certainly understand that. But disband them just as they were becoming used to writing and performing good music? Man, these proggers are one weird bunch of starpers!!!

Starless an outtake from Starless & Bible Black, Kurt Cobain being proud of Fripp and Wetton's interplay, Fallen Angel good except for the overlong "jam session" in the middle... This could pass as a Truth Media review.

edit: His Lizard review is a gem, too.

edit 2: definite proof it's a troll:

quote:

'Thela Hun Ginjeet' is a great rockin' shuffle built on Bruford's polyrhythms (ooh, what a cool word) and strong singing from Belew. As if that weren't enough, from time to time Adrian goes rambling off and telling a strange story about his recording the sounds in a street and a cop arresting him for strange activity.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 18, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

To be fair, Kurt Cobain has been quoted in interviews as liking "Red." That doesn't excuse Starostin's writing.

Edit - loving wow, did he actually listen to what Belew was saying in Thela? So much troll.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 18, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
His Starless and Bible Black review was even worse, I recall. He hated Fracture, and literally thought it was an improv piece. He does obviously enjoy getting a rise out of people, but most of the time I'm quite sure he's really that dense.

I remember his Frank Zappa page as consistently the worst thing he ever did—I can't really recall concrete examples, and I don't want to reread it because I should really be working right now and it made me physically angry. I do recall he hated Bongo Fury because of "Captain Beefheart's lovely voice." He's also the goddamn champion of deploring anything remotely dissonant and of hating an artist's definitive works and then lavishing praise on the albums even the hardcore fans don't like.

It's generally not because of his opinions that I enjoyed reading him, but his armchair historian approach to rock music. The guy reviewed a lot of progressive rock, krautrock, British folk rock, and things beyond the scope of mainstream reviewers, so I ultimately forgive him for having lovely, misinformed opinions on a lot of things. Through his reviews, I discovered The Residents, Genesis, Gong, Caravan, Can, Gryphon, Tim Buckley, The Swans, and a zillion other artists I love. And hell, The Beatles were pretty much all I listened to prior to my teen years, so his Beatles reverence doesn't even get on my nerves that much—it was, at least, something I could relate to back then.

And it's not all bad. I reiterate my recommendation for his Ween page, and he also did a very entertaining track-by-track review of the Nuggets compilations. These are also among the later things he wrote on his old site—he definitely got a lot better, and a lot of his worst work (the King Crimson and Zappa pages for example) is probably as old as the site itself.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 18, 2011

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

At least, I'll live out the rest of the twentieth century without having to enjoy 'Fracture'. (Which reminds me: does everyone remember clearly that the twenty-first century actually begins in the year 2001 and not in the year 2000, as the ignorant mass media people all teach us? Boycott these ceremonies, people, they're putting you ON!)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If that piece of poo poo was supposed to be a movie I'm loving glad that the Deadwing script never went anywhere.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Rollersnake posted:

His Starless and Bible Black review was even worse, I recall. He hated Fracture, and literally thought it was an improv piece. He does obviously enjoy getting a rise out of people, but most of the time I'm quite sure he's really that dense.

The gently caress? I've tried learning that song on guitar a few times but compositionally it's incredibly complex and difficult to play. What a hack.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Misogynist posted:

If that piece of poo poo was supposed to be a movie I'm loving glad that the Deadwing script never went anywhere.

Well, there was motion in the images. I recall the sheet the woman held on the beach was flapping, at one point she looked like she was sitting on a fan and air was emanating from her crotch to make the fabric billow. Also, the waves were crashing on the rocks.

FOR TWENTY MINUTES.

Seriously it looked like the artist made animated GIF from his black and white holiday pics. Or an homage to PG's 'Mercy Street' video.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 18, 2011

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cat doter posted:

The gently caress? I've tried learning that song on guitar a few times but compositionally it's incredibly complex and difficult to play. What a hack.

Yeah I've tried to recreate it on piano many times and failed. It's a crazy complex song and clearly very deliberately composed.

It's also odd that he hates it so much because he loves Discipline and the whole 80's KC sound, and to me Fracture is a lot closer to that 80's sound (I mean it's not that close but there are a lot of hints at it) than almost anything else in the 70's KC discography.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 18, 2011

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
If Fracture actually was an improv, that would make it more awesome.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's one of many examples of how he equated "dissonant" with "sloppy"—it makes more sense if you read his older reviews realizing that he couldn't distinguish between something improvised and highly organized chaos. He equates Gentle Giant's Interview to King Crimson's THRaKaTTaK, which is a bit like saying, I dunno, Edgard Varese and Ornette Coleman made the same kind of music.

And though you'd have to be George Starostin to mistake Fracture for an improv, it is sometimes hard to tell in Crimson's music how much is arranged and how much is improvised. That's a clumsy segue into talking about ccccSeizurecc, a really neat piece based on ProjeKct themes that alone made the purchase of Heavy ConstruKction worthwhile. I swear you could assemble a better album than ConstruKction of Light solely from stuff they were working on around that time but chose not to fully develop or include.

Edit: And rehash or not, FraKctured is pretty badass. It was retired prematurely from their setlists because it was too difficult to play.

Sorry this is all a bit disjointed, but I pulled an all-nighter to finish an assignment that ended up not being due for another week and all I want to do is post random pieces of music and talk about how beautiful they are.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 18, 2011

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Going back to the earlier talk about Steven Wilson/PT

I feel as if I'm the only person who actually find Stupid Dream to be the by far best album, perhaps mostly due to the incredible atmosphere of it. A Smart Kid is probably one of the best songs out of that band.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Retarded Goatee posted:

A Smart Kid

I liked that. Man, I should probably get around to filling the (many) gaps in my Porcupine Tree discography. The Sky Moves Sideways is such a boring, derivative nonentity of an album it pretty much robbed me of all curiosity regarding their earlier work.

Katina
May 3, 2009

Retarded Goatee posted:

A Smart Kid is probably one of the best songs out of that band.

I really like A Smart Kid, it's my sixth favourite PT song... yes, I did a top 10, curiously many of my top tracks are B-Sides or sort of obscure. If you like that sort of song my favourite is Half-Light, a song from the special edition of Deadwing that they performed on the FoABP tour, then Stars Die, released around the The Sky Moves Sideways era. I also really love .3 from In Absentia. That's not to say that I prefer the lighter side of PT; I think Anesthetize is one of the best things they've ever done, as is So Called Friend.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Retarded Goatee posted:

I feel as if I'm the only person who actually find Stupid Dream to be the by far best album, perhaps mostly due to the incredible atmosphere of it. A Smart Kid is probably one of the best songs out of that band.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I actually like more of Stupid Dream than I do of In Absentia. Part of me wants to say that the concept for Stop Swimming shouldn't work, but drat if I don't cringe at the end of it every time.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Retarded Goatee posted:

I loving love Stupid Dream. I wouldn't say it's their best "by far", but it's probably my favorite, followed closely by Deadwing.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Rollersnake posted:

I liked that. Man, I should probably get around to filling the (many) gaps in my Porcupine Tree discography. The Sky Moves Sideways is such a boring, derivative nonentity of an album it pretty much robbed me of all curiosity regarding their earlier work.
I never understood the love this album had gotten as well. I'd rather listen to "On The Sunday of Life" instead of listening to that album again. The Sky Moves Sideways (the song) has a few neat sections which I enjoy, but most of the album feels like filler. Except for Stars Die, of course.

The first old PT album I bought was Signify. Although I previously bought In Absentia and Deadwing, this was the album which made me love this band. I felt it had a far more somber tone than both In Absentia and Deadwing, which made it more appealing to me.

Up The Downstair is also pretty good. It has a few songs I don't really care for ("Up The Downstair" and "Not Beautiful Anymore"), but the high spots definitely are worth it ("Always Never", "Burning Sky" and "Fadeaway" have always been my favorites on it).

Incoherence posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I actually like more of Stupid Dream than I do of In Absentia. Part of me wants to say that the concept for Stop Swimming shouldn't work, but drat if I don't cringe at the end of it every time.
The ending is even more crushing on the Warzawa live album. Their interpretation of the song on that album is nothing short of brilliant.

Psychedelic Eyeball fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2011

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

Stupid Dream is rather wonderful, I agree, largely because they haven't made anything quite like it, except Lightbulb Sun I suppose but that has quite a different atmosphere. It's their version of a pop album, and a wonderful pop album at that. (Especially Stranger By The Minute, that probably could've been a successful Smashing Pumpkins song or something, it's utter genius.) The pop songs are balanced very well by the more experimental songs like Tinto Brass and Stop Swimming though, they very much fit on the album.

Just shows how drat diverse PT is as a band, they can pull off trippy hardcore psychedelic rock about LSD users, pop songs about washed-up piano teachers and downbeat metal tunes about disillusioned youth committing suicide and it all clearly sounds like Porcupine Tree, it's hardly ever drawn out or shark-jumping or anything like that, most of the time it really works. Wonderful music.

(I agree regarding A Smart Kid as well, one of the highlights of the album and their work in general)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Don't haaaaaaaate meeee

I'm not speshul like you

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think Blackfield helped give Wilson a different outlet for his whiny songs which is nice because Don't Hate Me is a terrible song and really brings Stupid Dream down. Feel So Low is almost as bad and does its best to ruin Lightbulb Sun.

I personally love The Sky Moves Sideways as well (even the 35 minute long version of the title track)

mr.sassypants
Aug 25, 2004

Who dropped the duck?

Tsaedje posted:

I think Blackfield helped give Wilson a different outlet for his whiny songs which is nice because Don't Hate Me is a terrible song and really brings Stupid Dream down.

That saxophone solo makes up for the embarrassingly terrible lyrics. Who listens to prog for the insightful lyrics, anyway?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

KingCrimson posted:

Who listens to prog for the insightful lyrics, anyway?

It's always nice when lyrics are good when they don't need to be. This is one of my favorite things about Gentle Giant, actually—their lyrics aren't exactly great, but tended to be insightful and heartfelt, and were never cringe-inducingly inept (though parts of Three Friends come dangerously close). It's interesting to hear them go from sort of academic and detached in their earlier work to political on The Power and the Glory and cuttingly bitter on Interview.

And then of course there's Peter Gabriel-era Genesis and Daevid Allen-era Gong, who have some of my absolute favorite lyrics, prog or otherwise.

Porcupine Tree have some real cornball lyrics, but usually the music is good enough for me to not care. Like I know my eyes should be rolling out of my head at "Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul" but Lazarus is such a great pop song, I love it anyway.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 21, 2011

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Count me in as another person who loves Stupid Dream... I probably still count Deadwing as my favourite PT album, but it's not far behind.

What's the "concept" behind Stop Swimming that people are talking about? I just kind of assumed that it's about a guy offing himself, similar to Prodigal minus the rockin' guitar solo at the end.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Haha I compare PT to Nine Inch Nails sometimes in that they both have some absolutely eye-rolling lyrics, but nobody listens to either of them for their deep, introspective lyrics. Fans like them because their music loving rules.

Would those bands be better with lyrics that are actually half decent? Probably. At least somewhat. But they don't have the worst lyrics I've ever heard, I guess, and they're fun to laugh at.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I generally like PT's lyrics. \/:shobon:\/

Maybe I just don't mind the emo-ness so much when it's coming from Steve, I feel like his melancholy delivery sells it more often than not. Which is just as well, because christ, has anyone read some of the lyrics on Grace for Drowning? Pretty bleak stuff.

Katina
May 3, 2009

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I generally like PT's lyrics. \/:shobon:\/

Maybe I just don't mind the emo-ness so much when it's coming from Steve, I feel like his melancholy delivery sells it more often than not. Which is just as well, because christ, has anyone read some of the lyrics on Grace for Drowning? Pretty bleak stuff.

I agree, I don't generally have a problem with PT's lyrics, I think they're maybe not so poetic but very direct with emotions/images. I mean you have a song like Drown With Me that goes "You sold out and lost your looks/You gave away all your books" which is not so good and then later "View from the cold water/Buried in green/Orange filter sky" which is one of my favourite PT lines. They are definitely not lyrics meant to be taken out of the context of the song, in which they are believable and often touching. It would be so frustrating if there were a layer of pretension over their lyrics.

Although, having said that, "bury the horse shaped shell" in Open Car... I have no idea.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Last night was another double trio - California Guitar Trio and Montreal Guitar Trio, playing in the Grand Theatre in Kingston ON. The concert was a matinee, at 2pm, followed by an interview by Brian Enright of the CBC (Canada's NPR), then at 7pm they did a Masterclass in Classical Guitar in the 'Baby Grand' space, where three local university students played for them and got critiqued. Then CGT and MGT played a little more to demonstrate some techniques including 'circulation', a GC 'awareness' training method - see here for an example, where each person plays one note in turn then 'passes' it to the next person.

Hung out with them a little, gabbed about Guitar Craft, Fripp stories, etc. Got their new album, Andromeda (title track here).

Nice guys, great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The best Porcupine Tree lyric:

"All my designs, simplified
And all of my plans, compromised
All of my dreams, sacrificed"

Kills me every time.