Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe instead of mis-quoting famous people, everyone in the post-Scratch universe mis-identifies their nationalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Walliard posted:

I've never read Christie
And that is why the joke has gone over your head. It's a running gag, of sorts, as much as anything written by Christie can be a gag.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I think kidmom is my new favorite character. Just the right amount of snark, sarcasm, typos, and terrible jokes. I just hope her messaging style isn't exclusive to being drunk drinking, that would be a lovely gimmick

Spellman posted:

And Tomb of the Ancestors is out: http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/album/tomb-of-the-ancestors

This is a fun album to listen to

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Colon V posted:

And that is why the joke has gone over your head. It's a running gag, of sorts, as much as anything written by Christie can be a gag.

Right, but what part of it is the joke? Help me better understand the Agatha Christie fandom.

(I like how this comes up less than two pages after a discussion about running jokes that are incomprehensible to people who are out of the loop.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It seems plenty of people were worked up by this.

Well, I didn't mean to give random people on the internet that much credit. I'm sure there were a bunch of folks honestly jumping at the opportunity to correct Hussie.

TheDemon posted:

I think kidmom is my new favorite character. Just the right amount of snark, sarcasm, typos, and terrible jokes. I just hope her messaging style isn't exclusive to being drunk drinking, that would be a lovely gimmick
This is actually really close to how I feel... she's a really fun character and the chatlog was honestly hilarious, but if she's just that way because she's plastered... eh. That's lame.

Edit:

Walliard posted:

Right, but what part of it is the joke? Help me better understand the Agatha Christie fandom.

(I like how this comes up less than two pages after a discussion about running jokes that are incomprehensible to people who are out of the loop.)
It just keeps happening. I warned you about Belgians. Characters frequently blunder ignorantly into the same (fairly understandable) error. Poirot has to correct them each time. That's all there is to it.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 18, 2011

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, Hussie would never pass up an opportunity to rile up the fans.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Alright, I'm good now. I just wasn't sure who was playing along with the joke and who with the meta-joke.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Someone got a picture of the D.Strider review on that Detective Pony book someone mentioned a while ago that got deleted!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I bet kidBro's name will turn out to be something like Doug.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
:siren: Hussie's Olive Garden trip report (part 1):siren:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Spellman posted:

And Tomb of the Ancestors is out: http://homestuckgaiden.bandcamp.com/album/tomb-of-the-ancestors
Spider8ite sounds like the theme song for some total bastard optional RPG boss.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Haha, this is hilarious. Ryan North's GPS might be the best part.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I wager that kidBro's t-shirt logo will be a shuriken.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Spellman posted:

Okay, on one hand, a lot of this is really loving cool. Some of it I wasn't sold on really quickly, but it's all really good, some of it downright fantastic. wwretched wwaltz is just so perfectly 'evil pirate', Immaculate Peacekeeper is really tranquil and perfectly befitting of any form of Mary analog, 0_0 is like trying to make an actual tune out of Giygas' second form and succeeding, Dishonorable Highb100d sounds like somebody having an epileptic fit on a drum set, synthesiser and keyboard all at once but somehow it makes it work as a song and for the character, and the laughter chorus in SUBJUGGLATION is legitimately terrifying and I would never have expected or thought of it.

But on the other hand... Does anyone else get the feeling not all of this really fits? Some of it feels like it was designed for a character it's not attributed to.the Wiionic's theme doesn't really strike me as terribly reminiscent of him at all, the Condesce's and Disciple's themes feel like they were written for grown up versions of the trolls we're familiar with rather than the characters themselves, and someone's going to have to explain to me how a gradually breaking down synthesised voicebox fits Mindfang at all.

Spider8ite's still really loving cool despite it, though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Prison Warden posted:

Wow, seems a lot of people really didn't get the joke, da kids these days need to read more Agatha Christie it seems.
I thought my use of Uncultured Swine made my sarcasm obvious. Stupid text only communication

Or at least they need to watch the television versions, with David Suchet. I watched way too many of those as a child. (My mother has a completely unironic love for murder mysteries. She has as many novels as Bro has puppets.)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Android Blues posted:

Haha, this is hilarious. Ryan North's GPS might be the best part.

I want that GPS voice for my phone.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The songs were made waaay back when, off of the composer's 'headcanons' of the ancestors who hadn't been revealed yet. Pretty disappointing when Betty Crocker turned out to be this immortal Machiavellian dictator who doesn't give a gently caress, and her song here may as well just be a Feferi song slowed down a bit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

MrBims posted:

The songs were made waaay back when, off of the composer's 'headcanons' of the ancestors who hadn't been revealed yet. Pretty disappointing when Betty Crocker turned out to be this immortal Machiavellian dictator who doesn't give a gently caress, and her song here may as well just be a Feferi song slowed down a bit.

Yeah, that's what I gathered. The Sufferer's, Wiionic's, Disciple's, Condesce's and maybe Darkleer's themes were probably all written before we actually learned about the characters in question. I mean they're all good songs, and Darkleer's fits in sort of a 'wild shot in the dark' way, but they're clearly not written for the characters they ended up being attributed to.

Still worth it for the half of the album that does fit, though.

EDIT: Forgot somehow that Empress and Condesce are the same.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 18, 2011

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I really liked the percussion in the Summoner' song. It reminds me of this weird street dance type I saw back in middle school/High school where people would use objects like oil drums/metal sheets as instruments and sort of bang them to a rhythm? Something like that?

The Condesce's was kind of jarring though.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Man, I'm loving this whole album, and Spider8ite!!!!!!!! is so catchy and i just keep listening to it. It feels so good to have all these rapid-fire updates after the recent hiatuses (hiatii?)

clockwork chaos fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 18, 2011

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Spider8ite is such an awesome song! They did a really good job on the vocals.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That tumblr post about Hussie's trip to the Olive Garden was gold. I look forward to more. :allears:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Man, I really want to like Spider8ite, but the singing really just does not do it for me.

Good thing there's a vocal-less lounge version which is quite fantastic :buddy:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I wonder what jake's bedpost would manufacture if it was treated like something that came out a totem laithe

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

HalfHazard posted:

Man, I really want to like Spider8ite, but the singing really just does not do it for me.

Good thing there's a vocal-less lounge version which is quite fantastic :buddy:

I'm the same. It kind of reminds me of the SSB Brawl version of Ashley's theme, except with more repetetive lyrics.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

I wonder what jake's bedpost would manufacture if it was treated like something that came out a totem laithe

I've been wondering this since we first saw Jades bed.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Eox posted:

I've been wondering this since we first saw Jades bed.

probably a recursive bed now that I think about it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
How the gently caress do you pronounce 'condesce', anyway? Is it "con-desk/desq" or "condess"?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

HalfHazard posted:

I'm down with the singing until the background singers/ mind-controlled minions chime in. Still pretty catchy.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

President Ark posted:

How the gently caress do you pronounce 'condesce', anyway? Is it "con-desk/desq" or "condess"?
The latter, I would presume, considering it is Her Imperial Condescension.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Walliard posted:

I'm the same. It kind of reminds me of the SSB Brawl version of Ashley's theme, except with more repetetive lyrics.
YES. I've been trying to figure out what it reminds me of all day, and this is it exactly.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Is there an actual explanation of the time travel and scratch/rift/whatever anywhere? I still don't really understand half of what happened, or who we are even following now, or where Dave and Rose went. Or how the author character fits into all this, or what was up with the window fourth walls that John and Jade flew through.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I'm really glad that Robert Blaker made a solo album, I've been waiting for one (and now I know he's released his own albums independent of HS thanks to that link posted last page) because I could tell from his track on volume 5, Valhalla, that he made the kind of music I liked, which is lots of loving percussion. And that's what Tomb of the Ancestors is. Lots of loving percussion.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

bowb posted:

Is there an actual explanation of the time travel and scratch/rift/whatever anywhere? I still don't really understand half of what happened, or who we are even following now, or where Dave and Rose went. Or how the author character fits into all this, or what was up with the window fourth walls that John and Jade flew through.

The scratch reset the kids' universe, which does a few things:

-Creates conditions which, in theory, allow the players to be more prepared for success (in the troll universe this meant a more barbaric society to toughen the players up)
-Switches the roles of the players with their ectobiological counterparts, so that Grandpa/Nanna/Bro/Mom are now the teenage players and Dave/Jade/Rose/Dave are their parents/grandparents (NOTE: these are new, separate incarnations of these 8 people)
-(Possibly/likely) allows Lord English to exist along the universe's new timeline, when pre-scratch he was not present

The scratch does not negate the causal effects of everything that happened in the pre-scratch universe, nor does it eliminate the characters who came from that universe and were outside it at the time of the scratch.

Dave, Rose, and the trolls are hanging out by the green sun in the furthest ring, which is accessible from many sessions and realities, including the new one. Presumably they will make their way to join the new session shortly. John and Jade just went through a set of fourth walls which will probably take them directly to the post-scratch universe or session. Obviously we don't know at what point in this new session the old characters are going to show up.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 19, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

gowb posted:

Here and here are what you want.

Short version-

Dave and Rose are in the furthest ring, which is outside any universe/session and are not affected by the Scratch.

The Scratch resets the universe with some parameters that will lead to a more favourable outcome. Possible effects include new first guardians, as well as guardian<->kid swaps.

The characters we are following now are child versions of the kid's guardians/ancestors (Nanna, Grandpa, Mom, Bro). In this version of the universe, the Kids we know (John, Jade, Rose, Dave) landed first, and the previous guardians landed later. They will be the new players of the game. (Except it will be crashed by the previous kids and the trolls).

Hussie's self-insert started as a meta-commentary on what was going on, as well as a way to provide recaps. People were all complaining about author interference, so he was like, "No, this is how an author interferes with a story" and provided a way for John and Jade to survive the effects of the Scratch by traveling through the fourth wall.

I'm sure you know what the fourth wall is in regular usage, but in Homestuck's specific case they are physical objects, one in Jade's possession, and several in Hussie's study that allow for viewing, and travel between matching pairs.

Hussie set up two fourth walls in his study, one for the pre-Scratch universe and one for the post, so when J+J flew through one, they'd hit the other, thus leaving the pre-Scratch and re-entering the post, without being reset.

That.... that wasn't very short at all!

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 19, 2011

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Amateur Sketch posted:

I'm down with the singing until the background singers/ mind-controlled minions chime in. Still pretty catchy.

I draw the line at the busted voicebox dragging the song forcefully out to a 4:13 runtime, but I think it's testament to the strength of the song that it survives all of this to be easily the best song on the album.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Feferi's corpse somehow gets prototyped into Jane's Kernelsprite. She needs someone to fill in the NO gently caress YOU MOM quota.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Level Slide posted:

I hope Feferi's corpse somehow gets prototyped into Jane's Kernelsprite. She needs someone to fill in the NO gently caress YOU MOM quota.
The Lalondes will have maternal resentment to spare. :v:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'm really glad that Robert Blaker made a solo album, I've been waiting for one (and now I know he's released his own albums independent of HS thanks to that link posted last page) because I could tell from his track on volume 5, Valhalla, that he made the kind of music I liked, which is lots of loving percussion. And that's what Tomb of the Ancestors is. Lots of loving percussion.

I relly like how the solo albums have been able to showcase each artist's personal style so well: Tensei with hard rock, Clark Powell with abmient, Bowman with... Bowman. A lot of people don't seem to realize who was responsible for some of the more iconic tunes, so these help draw attention to them.

Also, there was an update while I typed that. Strange, I never noticed the Spider-Girl issue on Jake's floor before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So I just reread through the Troll Ancestors section of Homestuck again.

I think that the kids universe that we were in was post-scratch. Nanna/Mom/Bro/Grandpa played the session that we are currently seeing and will scratch it to create the kid's session. This is why Nanna talks about playing SBurb. She's like the Signless in that she remembers and presumably the other three guardians do as well. Also explains the SBurb Alpha.

We have yet to see the kid's scratched session.

It makes as much sense as this being post-scratch, at least :shobon: