Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

House Louse posted:

Hell, I'd be down for this.

:iamafag:

Sorry.

I think I'll be in and out of the thread depending how busy I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Has anybody checked out any of the Good Eats books? I'm a big fan of Good Eats, so I'm interested in them, but only if they're mostly like behind the scenes stuff, info about the foods, etc., as opposed to just recipes. I don't really want a cookbook.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Has anybody checked out any of the Good Eats books? I'm a big fan of Good Eats, so I'm interested in them, but only if they're mostly like behind the scenes stuff, info about the foods, etc., as opposed to just recipes. I don't really want a cookbook.

They are awesome, I have 2 of them, they are a mixture of behind the scenes, recipes, and the science behind every single episode. Each episode has its own couple of pages. I highly recommend these books.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also, we are getting close to that time of year for the Secret Santa exchange. I got some awesome books last year and I gave some awesome books. Anyone mind if I create the tread? Or did someone else have one ready to go?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I was gonna do it if no one wanted to step up, but I am more than happy to let you take care of it instead. :) Looking forward to getting more Gor this year!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Which reminds me, what happened to Viconia, anyway? One day she just wasn't a mod anymore. :(

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Quad posted:

I was gonna do it if no one wanted to step up, but I am more than happy to let you take care of it instead. :) Looking forward to getting more Gor this year!

Go ahead, I just got my new schedule and I might not have the time. I have some awesome books to give this year so I was getting excited about it.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm fishing around to see if there is any interest in a Let's Read Dante's Inferno thread. I've been working away on a Dante thread and it occurred to me that there is so much awesome stuff in it that it might be better to work our way through it together and let our journey through hell lead the discussion.

If not I'm happy to post a general discussion thread, however, I worry that a huge effort post about all the circles of hell delivered at once will be so super dense people will turn off to it.

So, does anybody fancy a wee trip into the depths of icy hell this winter?

This would be fun. I've been wanting to reread it for a while.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Quad posted:

Which reminds me, what happened to Viconia, anyway? One day she just wasn't a mod anymore. :(

IIRC, she was running a thing where you'd pay her to play Warcraft on your behalf and when some guy undercut her prices on SA-Mart, she flipped out and banned him so she wouldn't lose business. She was banned shortly thereafter.

She also licked a toilet, which is gross as hell.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Edit: wrong thread, sorry. :sweatdrop:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Which version of The Picture of Dorian Gray is better - the 13 or 20 chapter version?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

penismightier posted:

Which version of The Picture of Dorian Gray is better - the 13 or 20 chapter version?

Someone answer this because I've been meaning to read it for forever.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

All righty, seems like there is more than enough interest in the Dante read-a-long. I've pretty much sorted out the OP and a rough reading schedule so, fingers crossed, I'll post it up this weekend. Don't worry if you've not got a copy yet, I'm factoring in time to allow folk to sort themselves out and so we can agree on how fast/slow we wan't to take our reading etc.

Also - what's this about Dorian Gray? I had no idea there were 2 versions!

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Dr Scoofles posted:

All righty, seems like there is more than enough interest in the Dante read-a-long. I've pretty much sorted out the OP and a rough reading schedule so, fingers crossed, I'll post it up this weekend. Don't worry if you've not got a copy yet, I'm factoring in time to allow folk to sort themselves out and so we can agree on how fast/slow we wan't to take our reading etc.

Van Dis posted:

I teach high school English and I'm having my students read the Inferno this spring. We're using Durling's translation, which is the best one in my opinion. It's easy to read and the notes are great.

Definitely agree with this, it's an excellent prose facing-page translation with a good introduction and notes. It's the version I used in my college Divine Comedy class.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I might take part in this. I've got a Norton anthology with a different translation - it's by John Ciardi - but if I have time, I'll try and keep up.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

DrGonzo90 posted:

Definitely agree with this, it's an excellent prose facing-page translation with a good introduction and notes. It's the version I used in my college Divine Comedy class.

A while back, I snagged a copy of the original Longfellow translation that has all the awesome woodcuts done by Gustav Dore in it along with notes. How well-regarded is that translation compared to the others out there? I've read a little bit of it so far but I definitely have zippo familiarity with Latin so I have no idea how much it loses in Longfellow's version.

I've read the Robert Fitzgerald translation of The Aeneid (same question there about translation quality - I really enjoyed it, though) within the last year so I'm up on my Virgil at least.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I've got the Kirkpatrick translation and I have a few problems with it which I'll get to during the read. Mostly stylistic choices than anything else. I'm really interested to see how other translators handle the text and even if we can lure some native speakers in for some comparative readings. I wouldn't worry about Latin as Dante wrote the original in Italian. In fact I believe the reason Italian's speak the language they do today is down to Dante. If you're going to select a unified language for your country, pick the one Dante wrote in.

Glad we've got a Virgil reader on board too, I even included a plea for Virgil readers in my draft OP because his influence is so drat heavy, I'm really curious to share some discussion on that guy.

Also, I adore the Gustave Dore illustrations. It's impossible for me to imagine Dante's hell any other way.

Hopefully get the ball rolling tomorrow!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Encryptic posted:

A while back, I snagged a copy of the original Longfellow translation that has all the awesome woodcuts done by Gustav Dore in it along with notes. How well-regarded is that translation compared to the others out there? I've read a little bit of it so far but I definitely have zippo familiarity with Latin so I have no idea how much it loses in Longfellow's version.

Keep it for the woodcuts, read a modern translation, imo. Longfellow is wordy and his syntax is tortured because he desperately wished he were European. Basically he overtranslated the text (and this comes from an Italian speaker). The Durling best keeps the sense of vulgate.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know where I can find some Thomas Ligotti without paying an arm & a leg? I've bought the Teatro Grottesco and My Work Is Not Yet Done collections off of Amazon because they were both fairly cheap. Just about all of his other works seem to be in the $80 and up range.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone know where I can find some Thomas Ligotti without paying an arm & a leg? I've bought the Teatro Grottesco and My Work Is Not Yet Done collections off of Amazon because they were both fairly cheap. Just about all of his other works seem to be in the $80 and up range.

You might try Half.com - I've used that extensively to get a hold of books and movies on the cheap. No idea if you'll be able to find Ligotti for a reasonable price, though.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
The thing that hurts you when you try to scope some cheap secondhand Ligotti are the comic/graphic novel editions that came out a while ago and no one seems to want. So if you start looking at used book dealers, just a warning there.

Also Subterranean is slowly working through his backlog (first two volumes sold out already), and while they don't go for cheap (the next one is I think $45) they're at least going.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I've got the Kirkpatrick translation and I have a few problems with it which I'll get to during the read. Mostly stylistic choices than anything else. I'm really interested to see how other translators handle the text and even if we can lure some native speakers in for some comparative readings. I wouldn't worry about Latin as Dante wrote the original in Italian. In fact I believe the reason Italian's speak the language they do today is down to Dante. If you're going to select a unified language for your country, pick the one Dante wrote in.

Glad we've got a Virgil reader on board too, I even included a plea for Virgil readers in my draft OP because his influence is so drat heavy, I'm really curious to share some discussion on that guy.

Also, I adore the Gustave Dore illustrations. It's impossible for me to imagine Dante's hell any other way.

Hopefully get the ball rolling tomorrow!

Yeah, I want to read the Aeneid again soon. I'm not sure I can contribute a huge amount without reading it again to fix it in my mind, but it definitely got me interested in reading the Divine Comedy since I knew that Virgil acts as Dante's guide through Hell.

The woodcuts are absolutely awesome, I agree. I love the rendering of Charon as a huge half-naked dude smacking the souls of the damned with a huge oar, as opposed to the silent hooded boatman that he's usually portrayed as.

Van Dis posted:

Keep it for the woodcuts, read a modern translation, imo. Longfellow is wordy and his syntax is tortured because he desperately wished he were European. Basically he overtranslated the text (and this comes from an Italian speaker). The Durling best keeps the sense of vulgate.

Thanks, I'll have to do that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's not due out until mid-2012, but the SubtPress edition of Noctuary is up for preorder at Amazon.

If you want to find any of the other books for cheap, you're going to need to check eBay daily. Here are two I found tonight:

Grimscrsibe paperback (there are several of these in the same price range, actually)

Noctuary HC

I should point out that there are some you just aren't going to find cheap. The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales and Death Poems, as well as anything he's done with Current 93, aren't even worth looking for if your budget isn't defined as "large".

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'll just trawl Ebay for the time being and perhaps reserve the higher-priced tomes as special occasion purchases.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'll just trawl Ebay for the time being and perhaps reserve the higher-priced tomes as special occasion purchases.

Welcome to my world. Far too much quality horror/weird fiction exists only in the realm of the independent publishers and their tiny print runs :(.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Is there a thread for plays/dramatic works? If not, would anyone be interested in one? I can certainly start one as most of my reading is plays and theatre texts.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

The Puppet Master posted:

Is there a thread for plays/dramatic works? If not, would anyone be interested in one? I can certainly start one as most of my reading is plays and theatre texts.

This might be interesting, and I'd be all for it. Of course, my professional scope in drama is limited to the Renaissance/early modern, but I read what I can manage outside of that timeframe.

I've considered making a Shakespeare thread before, or something like "Let's Read Hamlet" as a sort of general introduction, but with school work I don't think I have enough time to monitor it (not that it would necessarily be hopping).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Was there a short story thread around here once? I assume it's gone into archives by now. I'm reading a collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories, and they're all pretty fantastic.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Meant to post this in the recommendations thread.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 27, 2011

SgtSanity
Apr 25, 2005
Excuse me
Along the same vein as Infinite Summer, a bunch of Robert Caro fans are reading his three LBJ volumes published so far to lead up to his fourth volume coming out in May. It'll only be 15 pages per day, so it should be easy to maintain alongside reading other books. Officially starts December 1st, so there's still time to track down the first book, Path to Power.

http://www.lbjbookclub.com/

Elim
Nov 8, 2011
I am in dire need of a "survival" book, sci-fi or fantasy.
Any recommendations?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Day by Day Armageddon - J.L. Bourne

It's pretty good. The sequel gets a little crazy, but it's a pretty nifty story that covers what happens literally right after a zombie apocalypse, from a soldiers point of view.

Elim
Nov 8, 2011
That sounds interesting, i'll order it this week. Thanks!

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
Hey there folks, I'm currently searching for the title based on some third hand account of the plot overheard in a crowded room.

My understanding of the plot is this:
There are a group of people (Students?) selected from each class, or region or something.
They are forced to play "The Game" or "The Competition" or something like this. This basically involves marching 24/7 until there is only one person left alive. This person wins.

Any ideas? This may be a short story but hopefully someone here can help me out.

Thanks very much in advance.

frogbert fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 5, 2011

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

frogbert posted:

Hey there folks, I'm currently searching for the title based on some third hand account of the plot overheard in a crowded room.

My understanding of the plot is this:
There are a group of people (Students?) selected from each class, or region or something.
They are forced to play "The Game" or "The Competition" or something like this. This basically involves marching 24/7 until there is only one person left alive. This person wins.

Any ideas? This may be a short story but hopefully someone here can help me out.

Thanks very much in advance.

Well, Battle Royale is "The Game", they're all sent to an island and told they have to kill each other, and the last one alive gets to stay alive.
But, The Long Walk by Stephen King is the one where there's 100 boys, and they all walk down the road, and walking under 3 mph gets them shot, and the last one alive gets "The Prize", "anything he wants for the rest of his life". Although the joke among the walkers is that "The Prize" is being taken out back behind a barn and shot too.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
The Long Walk! That's the one. Thank you very much.

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

Looking for 2 stories about devil. Read them long time ago in some gathering of short stories with similar theme.

The first story also had a movie based on it and goes like this:
The guy comes to some physics professor to help him defend again creatures from parallel universe. That guy is Lucifer/Devil, who is not arch evil as he is depicted, but just the shy guy from lower dimensions/hell and his realm is attacked by some other guys. Story name was something like "Devil that we didnt know".

The second story;
A math/physics professor challenges Devil to solve a mathematical puzzle. If he cannot do that in allocated amount of time, the professor and his wife get health/wealth/whatever, but if he can, devil gets his soul. Over the time when they struggle with a puzzle and debate about math problems, they become sort of friends.

If anyone can remember the story names or author names that would be awesome!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Elim posted:

I am in dire need of a "survival" book, sci-fi or fantasy.
Any recommendations?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_%28novel%29

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
I signed up to the reddit secret santa this year and this arrived yesterday.

Delighted. Any recommendations on what to start first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

dmccaff posted:

I signed up to the reddit secret santa this year and this arrived yesterday.

Delighted. Any recommendations on what to start first?

Holy crap, a stranger sent you all that for free? :aaaaa:

I haven't read everything there, but you can't go wrong with Northern Lights, The Gunslinger, and Perdido Street Station for some modern fantasy classics.