Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I'm trying it on Vergil. My training team is Vergil/Raccoon/Sentinel so I have one opponent of each size, but I'm starting to worry that our little anime friend is on the runt side. I'd switch him to Wesker but I know how drat popular Vergil is, so the practice is useful.

Seems it only works midscreen on smaller characters. I can occasionally get it to work on iron fist, but I've no clue what the hell I'm doing to get it to work. If you can get the enemy to end up BEHIND nova at the end of the nova strike then it'll work, otherwise it looks like nope.

It should work at 4/5ths - 3/4ths of a zoomed screen away from the corner tho.

Against larger characters (tested this on sentinel, prolly necessary on nemesis as well) you should do this instead (jH) M/2M H/2H S jH j214L jL jH H S jH j214L jH j236L or M j623pp mash. Does nearly the same damage, is far easier to get the relaunch. Corner only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I am aware of Dr. D's S j.M j.fH DFairdash j.M cr.MHS loop, but that poo poo is hard. I have his corner combos down no problem and I need to learn that midscreen one eventually, but in the interim are there any midscreen combos that are easier than the above loop but more damaging than c.LMHSj.MMfHhyper?
c.M c.H S sj.MM sj.f+H xx addf sj.M land c.M H xx sphere flame is what I use, though if you're having trouble with the air dash that may not help much. Make sure you're doing the air combo part as soon as possible.

e: Did they improve the arcade mode AI? I'm pretty sure the CPU Doom did something really close to the Buktooth on me the other night.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 18, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Metrohunter posted:

I just got my first Ultimate disconnect when I killed a Sentinel assist with Gimlet :kiddo:

How exactly does Gimlet strike? I thought it was like it just hits the opponent wherever he is on the screen. There's more to it? Hits the assist?

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

Revitalized posted:

How exactly does Gimlet strike? I thought it was like it just hits the opponent wherever he is on the screen. There's more to it? Hits the assist?

I've definitely seen it hit an assist if it's next to the point character, so I think it's just because of being there. I don't think it would hit an assist if the point character superjumped away from it, or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In one of the Running Sets videos they say it's omni-directional and can hit multiple places on the screen at once, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case (as in, if it will hit an assist that is nowhere near the point character).

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

infinite99 posted:

Runnin' Sets with Combofiend and Marn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJkEEhhPSM
Marn did pretty well but it didn't help that he was experimenting combos during the match. haha

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So how viable IS Sentinel these days? I know his health got nerfed a few times but in terms of power and x-factored Sentinel Force, isn't he still a beast? I don't see him that often on streams these days.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

So how viable IS Sentinel these days? I know his health got nerfed a few times but in terms of power and x-factored Sentinel Force, isn't he still a beast? I don't see him that often on streams these days.

He has his uses. Drones are still a good assist. He can still pile on the damage. I'm still free to armor.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

MinibarMatchman posted:

He still has one of the best assists and is pretty good on point, he's fine.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Sentinel is squishy and easy to cross up. But he deals a huge amount of damage and is braindead easy to use well enough. Nemesis is Sentinel with more damage, better range, and the highest health in the game. Sentinel is still better though, because Nemesis can't wavedash. :v:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Cuchulain posted:

Sentinel is squishy and easy to cross up. But he deals a huge amount of damage and is braindead easy to use well enough. Nemesis is Sentinel with more damage, better range, and the highest health in the game. Sentinel is still better though, because Nemesis can't wavedash. :v:

Thor still has better health I thought.

And I thought Nemesis can wavedash.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Revitalized posted:

Yeah Thor has the most, Nemesis actually only sits at 1.1m I think. A long time ago he was supposed to have 1.3m but they changed that pretty early on.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Countblanc posted:

Yeah Thor has the most, Nemesis actually only sits at 1.1m I think. A long time ago he was supposed to have 1.3m but they changed that pretty early on.

Oh good, I thought he was at 1.3. Thor really needs to be the Health king, since he doesn't have much else going for him.

Welp, guess I got brain problems, everything I know about Nemesis is wrong. v:v:v

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 18, 2011

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Revitalized posted:

He can according to ASSIST ME!

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Revitalized posted:

Nemesis can wavedash and it looks like an anime ninja run. :allears:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Countblanc posted:

It's 1.15 million I think. If I remember right for HP it's

Thor: 1.25
Hulk/Haggar/Tron: 1.2
Nemesis/She Hulk: 1.15

Also isn't Ryu up there in Health? Like above 1 million?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

fadam posted:

Does anyone know of any assists that work really well with Ghost Rider?

I'm using Hawkeye's straight arrow because it works really well with him (and because he's an amazing anchor) but I need someone to stick in the middle.

Nova's Centurian Rush assist seems amazing. Hits overhead and does a ground bounce against airborn targets. It gives Ghost Rider unblockables and lets you relaunch after one of your chain slams for more chain. It doesn't hit full screen, but it's pretty drat useful at the ranges it'll work.

I use this combo as my bnb with nova assist: HH/2H 623L HH 214L call nova assist 236L HH 214L (236L 236PP mash) or M (623PP S + DHC) or H (623PP S + DHC) Does about 685K if I end it with hell fire into chain super.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
I've just realized something. I wanna see a Heroes and Heralds tournament. With Combofiend being forced to use a one-man team of Spencer.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also isn't Ryu up there in Health? Like above 1 million?

Nope, just 1 mil, same with Wright, Wesker, Dormammu, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, and Super Skrull.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

HJE-Cobra posted:

I rather like some of the new costumes in the costume packs, I'm looking forward to getting some of those. At last Spencer will look like he should have always looked!

Also I love that MODOK's upcoming alternate costume basically turns him into Magnanimous from Megas XLR, who was based on MODOK anyway (and voiced by Bruce Campbell).

He even wore some Elvis type sunglasses.

Yeah I guess that's cool but let's not forget the real source of the MODOK costume

Unfortunately it's probably the closest we'll get to having either The Captain or Aaron Stack in UMVC3.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

PalmTreeFun posted:

Jill's level 3 is functionally identical, but limited to like 30-something dashes or so.

There is no limit on dashes.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

UberChair posted:

Yeah I guess that's cool but let's not forget the real source of the MODOK costume

Unfortunately it's probably the closest we'll get to having either The Captain or Aaron Stack in UMVC3.

Whoa, is that loving Stilt Man from Daredevil on the right? I mean left

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

UberChair posted:

I've seen that image about five times now and this is the first time I noticed that the Elvis MODOKs were shooting hamburgers out of their chairs. They better reskin Balloon Bomb or something

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Whoa, is that loving Stilt Man from Daredevil on the right? I mean left

Nah, that's Machine Man.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~

Tommy 2.0 posted:

So what is going on with the new Brady Games guide? Has anyone gotten it yet, and how/where? My amazon/bnb seem to be wanting to take forever with it.

I got mine from Amazon.ca today in spite of getting an email regarding its delay on Tuesday. I got lucky, I guess.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

Seems it only works midscreen on smaller characters. I can occasionally get it to work on iron fist, but I've no clue what the hell I'm doing to get it to work. If you can get the enemy to end up BEHIND nova at the end of the nova strike then it'll work, otherwise it looks like nope.

It should work at 4/5ths - 3/4ths of a zoomed screen away from the corner tho.

Against larger characters (tested this on sentinel, prolly necessary on nemesis as well) you should do this instead (jH) M/2M H/2H S jH j214L jL jH H S jH j214L jH j236L or M j623pp mash. Does nearly the same damage, is far easier to get the relaunch. Corner only.

L connects, but the H afterward doesn't. I'm convinced that either you or I am drunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YPL6kB1JVA

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

L connects, but the H afterward doesn't. I'm convinced that either you or I am drunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YPL6kB1JVA

Yeah, the L rocket punch combos won't work midscreen unless it's a smaller character. You use the H after the rocket punch there. The biggest i've gotten it to work on is iron fist, and even then it's a little iffy. You can tell when it'll work because nova ends up BEHIND the character you rocket punched before you do the jH to catch them. It looks weird as hell, but it works.

The jL then jH followups are for sent and nemesis in the corner, makes getting the relaunch on them a lot easier.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

UberChair posted:

First time seeing this, my eyes were immediately drawn to the pair of fat little Iron Babies.

Alt costume of Iron Man that is just three of those little guys in a trenchcoat. Their win quote will be them trying to buy a ticket to an R-rated movie.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

Yeah, the L rocket punch combos won't work midscreen unless it's a smaller character. You use the H after the rocket punch there. The biggest i've gotten it to work on is iron fist, and even then it's a little iffy. You can tell when it'll work because nova ends up BEHIND the character you rocket punched before you do the jH to catch them. It looks weird as hell, but it works.

The jL then jH followups are for sent and nemesis in the corner, makes getting the relaunch on them a lot easier.

Then I'm back at square 1. What am I doing wrong that H doesn't connect in the first attempt in that video? I've tried doing it later, I've tried doing it earlier (even leaving the turbo on so it hits on the first possible frame). I've seen him go behind like you've described, but so far it seems like it's luck as to whether or not he will.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Aerial exchange madness in part 2 @ about 12:55. At the end of the match they replay it in slowmo.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300215444

Broken Loose try Nova's slide (d + M), then fly cancel it and call a low hitting assist simultaneously, dash down forward, j.L j.H j.S. You need the assist to hit or the j.S won't connect so try to hit with the j.L earlier than the assist or at exactly the same time. Also, if you hit j.L j.L j.H j.S the j.S won't come out. I have no idea why this is.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Then I'm back at square 1. What am I doing wrong that H doesn't connect in the first attempt in that video? I've tried doing it later, I've tried doing it earlier (even leaving the turbo on so it hits on the first possible frame). I've seen him go behind like you've described, but so far it seems like it's luck as to whether or not he will.

It don't work mid screen unless you do it on smaller characters. Virgil is too big.

I'd record it being done on someone it'll work on, but I don't have any means to do that.

Honestly I'd just stick to using it as a corner combo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

NecroMonster posted:

It don't work mid screen unless you do it on smaller characters. Virgil is too big.

Oh-- drat it, I misread your initial post. Duh.

edit: Let's make this a better post.

Necro, take this proof of concept and do something with it.

You'll want to get full super jump height on the first launcher and hit H just before hitting the ground after the airdash. I haven't tried past the second Nova Strike so the last third of that is just theory.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 19, 2011

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Oh-- drat it, I misread your initial post. Duh.

edit: Let's make this a better post.

Necro, take this proof of concept and do something with it.

You'll want to get full super jump height on the first launcher and hit H just before hitting the ground after the airdash. I haven't tried past the second Nova Strike so the last third of that is just theory.

I'll give it a try later.

I'd like something with some drat air dashes in. I had to scrape to find something that uses special attacks beside a pulse at the end.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

I'll give it a try later.

I'd like something with some drat air dashes in. I had to scrape to find something that uses special attacks beside a pulse at the end.

I was practicing the lots of H combo a bunch last night and I noticed that Nova is still in flight after Nova Strike provided you do the Nova Strike early enough that there's some flight time left over. I also noticed that if you can cancel out of flight into Nova Strike without doing a second qcb motion. So you can do: qcb + S then while still holding back hit L really fast after the S to cancel into Nova Strike. After the strike you should still be in flight mode which I'd imagine would open up some combo possibilities.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If you hit S instead of airdashing in that combo I just posted, it looks incredibly sweet but does more hits and less damage than addf H. :( The only practical use for it is if you're trying to drag somebody from one corner to another and they're out of airdash range after the wallbounce. It also completely kills the hitstun deterioration.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Countblanc posted:

In one of the Running Sets videos they say [Gimlet] is omni-directional and can hit multiple places on the screen at once, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case (as in, if it will hit an assist that is nowhere near the point character).

It definitely only hits the assist if they are in the line of fire. I've seen it hit the point character and whiff an assist in another location several times already.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Countblanc posted:

In one of the Running Sets videos they say it's omni-directional and can hit multiple places on the screen at once, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case (as in, if it will hit an assist that is nowhere near the point character).

It fires an arrow directly at the opponent that goes through them. So, if the assist is in a line intersecting hawkeye and the field character, then it hits the assist.

As an aside, the arrow is very fast, but the arrow DOES have travel time (or something similar), so it is possible (though difficult) to miss with it.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Oh Deadpool :allears:

Deadpool posted:

(vs. Spider-Man) "Hey, did you know that Wesker guy stole your Maximum Spider move? You were doing that back in Marvel Super Heroes! So...Gonna go kick his rear end? Can I watch?"

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

AXE COP posted:

Oh Deadpool :allears:

Gonna rough you up like a Broadway musical!

\/\/\/ Phoenix is a bird lady! Thread confused!

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
New Phoenix technology courtesy of Spooky.

• Locked thread